Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

gently caress Uber and gently caress all of these people who bought their lies

I like the one comment asking if they're still allowed to drive if they don't drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

School finance constitutional:eyepop:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

What, really? Did some other court reverse the previous ruling?

Or am I mixing things up again?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Seems like it breaks down to "stop bugging us about this, make some damned laws to fix the poor schools".

Sadly, this is a bit like the fire department saying "we aren't going to keep putting out the electric fires in this house, fix the damned wiring so it stops catching on fire", not acknowledging that no one in the house is an electrician (and in fact some of them are devout pyromaniacs).

EDIT: Here's the Tribune story on the ruling - https://www.texastribune.org/2016/05/13/texas-supreme-court-issues-school-finance-ruling/

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
The irony of Gregg Abbott bitching about wasting money suing the government.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Personally, I think gay marriage is bad - and I won't support it in this state.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Its good that it was ruled constitutional because Dan Patrick wants to give up federal funding over the right to discriminate against transgender kids:

quote:

DALLAS (AP) Texas' lieutenant governor says the state is prepared to forfeit billions of dollars in federal funding for public schools following an Obama administration directive over bathroom access for transgender students.

Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Friday that Texas "will not yield to blackmail" and urged superintendents to defy the new federal guidance. The directive says public schools are obligated to treat transgender students in a way matching their gender identity.

The guidance doesn't impose new legal requirements, but rather clarifies expectations for districts receiving federal funds.

Patrick says Texas receives roughly $10 billion in federal education dollars. He didn't say how that money might be replaced. Patrick's remarks came only moments after more than half the state's 1,200 school districts lost a major lawsuit claiming that Texas unconstitutionally underfunds public schools.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Et tu, El Arroyo?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Why are all of our state's leaders so extremely dumb and bad and loud?

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm sure you've met the people who vote. They picked someone just like themselves.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Thermos H Christ posted:

Because they're Texans.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Aliquid posted:

Et tu, El Arroyo?

Got to stay relevant somehow when you aren't anywhere near the top Tex-Mex restaurants in the city.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

foot posted:

Because they're Texans.

I wish that was the reason,.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Dan Patrick will do anything to usher in the lovely voucher program that he wants.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

AfterFather posted:

Dan Patrick will do anything to usher in the lovely voucher program that he wants.

Well his supporters want it badly, without it they can't afford private school tuition and their children will have to go to public school and deal with *those types* of people.

Determining what *those types* of people mean, I leave that as an exercise to the reader.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Ratmtattat posted:

I'm sure you've met the people who vote. They picked someone just like themselves.

I suppose you're right. It's easy to forget when you spend most of your time in the major urban centers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Got to stay relevant somehow when you aren't anywhere near the top Tex-Mex restaurants in the city.

The food was nothing special but a $2 marg on the rocks with a floater is

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Aliquid posted:

The food was nothing special but a $2 marg on the rocks with a floater is

Whoah srsly?

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Thirsty Thursday at El Arroyo is classic Austin.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

There's a petition to put up a statue or statues of Spurs players in San Antonio.

The best execution imo would be giant-sized Tim Duncan and David Robinson, facing north on either side of I-35 like The Argonath

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tony Parker astride I-10 East

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hahahaha

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/dan-patrick-gets-the-trump-treatment-from-megyn-ke/nrMrR/

quote:

“Allow men in ladies rooms,” Kelly asked, “or allow trans women in ladies rooms?”

“Pardon?” Patrick said.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Tony Parker astride I-10 East

Emulating the Arc de Triomphe would be appropriate

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Aliquid posted:

There's a petition to put up a statue or statues of Spurs players in San Antonio.

The best execution imo would be giant-sized Tim Duncan and David Robinson, facing north on either side of I-35 like The Argonath

As long as they're big enough to wear the boots outside north star I'm up for it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

quote:

“Allow men in ladies rooms,” Kelly asked, “or allow trans women in ladies rooms?”

“Pardon?” Patrick said. He said such laws could allow men to dress as women and enter women’s rooms. “What this creates is a great loophole for all the sexual predators and sex offenders.”

Kelly interrupted, saying, “A lot of sex offenders are men who molest men, who molest boys. Why is there an assumption that they need to sneak in the girls room?”

“Well and it could be vice versa,” Patrick answered. “But, Megyn, look, I have four grandchildren and two children. I don’t want my 8-year-old granddaughter walking into a bathroom with a 30-year-old man there. And no one else does. Anyone who has a grandmother, mother or wife, sister, daughter or granddaughter doesn’t want them exposed to that.”

“But what if that man looks like a woman? And she would never know,” Kelly said before being interrupted by Patrick.

“Megyn, you’re missing this.”

“I don’t think I’m missing anything,” Kelly said.

Willfully ignorant, or just that dumb? Who loving knows anymore.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wrong thread.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Parachute posted:

Little of A, little of B? I wouldn't be surprised to find out they're run of the mill amoral dickheads just following the party line, but it's just as likely they've just bought into the panic whole hog.

I've seen a handful of generally pretty conservative friends and family members basically saying "this is a dumb thing to be worried about, let trans people do their thing" which is refreshing. Between Cruz losing out and the pretty swift backlash against this kind of stuff, the seizing and foaming at the mouth by the religious right has been pretty entertaining

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Parachute posted:

lol holy poo poo. National political figure Dan Patrick is off to a great start.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Schnedwob posted:

Little of A, little of B? I wouldn't be surprised to find out they're run of the mill amoral dickheads just following the party line, but it's just as likely they've just bought into the panic whole hog.

I've seen a handful of generally pretty conservative friends and family members basically saying "this is a dumb thing to be worried about, let trans people do their thing" which is refreshing. Between Cruz losing out and the pretty swift backlash against this kind of stuff, the seizing and foaming at the mouth by the religious right has been pretty entertaining

I'll have you know that the "seizing and foaming at the mouth" is being touched by GOD and HIS wisdom! Usually around rapidly flashing lights.....or the mention of Obamacare.

Tortoiseburger
Mar 27, 2007

The Finest of the Tortoise
Some rear end in a top hat Austinite tried to start a Uber vs Cabs fiasco by posting a video of a mean and no-good cabbie gangster forcibly removing him from a cab, and claimed the guy kicked them out for not agreeing to pay an exorbitant ransom (a tip.)

Then it turns out, the cabbie hears about this video on morning talk radio, and calls in to say the kid hopped in his car at a light without hailing while he was on his way to pick up another fare.

Hope this blows up, because over night a lot of uber fanboys were trying to gin it up into a controversy.

Here's a video: https://streamable.com/5ejf

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If they harass all the cabbies out of business Austin will have no choice but to beg Uber and Lyft to come back right?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Fag cake guy has dropped his lawsuit: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/pastor-alleging-anti-gay-slur-on-whole-foods-cake-/nrNTt/

I couldn't tell from the quoted statements if he was admitting he lied about it, or just saying it was wrong of him to go public with what allegedly happened.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

MariusLecter posted:

If they harass all the cabbies out of business Austin will have no choice but to beg Uber and Lyft to come back right?
Nope, Austin will just have no cabs or Uber or Lyft while another million people move in. This is Austin - nothing about traffic or driving will ever improve.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Badger of Basra posted:

Fag cake guy has dropped his lawsuit: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/pastor-alleging-anti-gay-slur-on-whole-foods-cake-/nrNTt/

I couldn't tell from the quoted statements if he was admitting he lied about it, or just saying it was wrong of him to go public with what allegedly happened.

Well Whole Foods filed a countersuit which still hasn't been dropped, so I think he was trying to placate them into dropping the suit while also maintaining some kind of deniability in case they proceed. So he just said WF did nothing wrong and he shouldn't have sued them, without actually admitting that he maliciously filed a lawsuit with false allegations and hoaxed evidence.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Nope, Austin will just have no cabs or Uber or Lyft while another million people move in. This is Austin - nothing about traffic or driving will ever improve.

I was there this weekend and the poor city really has just outgrown it's road system and there really isn't any way to improve the areas that need it. It's a city desperately in need of an efficient mass transit system but there will never be any money or will to do that.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

radical meme posted:

I was there this weekend and the poor city really has just outgrown it's road system and there really isn't any way to improve the areas that need it. It's a city desperately in need of an efficient mass transit system but there will never be any money or will to do that.

There's the money, just not the will.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's so weird because it's West Austin that's gumming up the works but theoretically it'd be South/East/North that would see the most annoying construction. I wish we could annex Rollingwood, Cedar Park and Lakeway and institute a city income tax.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

It's so weird because it's West Austin that's gumming up the works but theoretically it'd be South/East/North that would see the most annoying construction. I wish we could annex Rollingwood, Cedar Park and Lakeway and institute a city income tax.

Hahahahaha.

But yeah it does suck about rail. I was in Phoenix in January and their metro system was great.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I was saying that as a silly never-gonna-happen thing but apparently things are more civilized outside of Texas and it's somewhat common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

I was saying that as a silly never-gonna-happen thing but apparently things are more civilized outside of Texas and it's somewhat common.

A friend who moved to NYC was visiting Austin with his boyfriend (who's lived in NYC his whole life) and the boyfriend could not believe we didn't have a city and state income tax.