Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Gamerofthegame posted:

I got to forge for the first time thanks to my turtle shell buddy! Hooray!

I lost three hearts to a platforming room with a giant hammer.

WHY IS THERE A GIANT HAMMER

Trap/obstacle rooms are where I lose easily like 50% of my health in a given run. You start to "figure them out" though, that room in particular is one I don't get hit in very often any more.

I'm starting a Gungeon petting zoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That's a hella shifty pig, you should probably not turn your back to it

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

frozenpeas posted:

Any tips for avoiding Gatling Gull's chaingun? Bullet king and the twins are easy but he always seems to pop a bullet out exactly where you're trying to run to and it always messes me up.

I also flawlessed Treadnaught the other day with the combination of slower bullets and a speed up. Made an otherwise difficult fight really easy!

I've found the best way to dodge is to maintain your distance and NEVER dodge roll. If you step far enough back you can walk between bullets. Rolling always seems to cause him to change angle and line up a bullet with me.

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't get how you can post on an internet discussion forum for 11 years and have such bad reading comprehension.

I completely understood that you're bad at the game and want it to be easier. Just busting your balls.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the Frost Giant is a horrible gun

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Lovely Senorita posted:

:prepop:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

HenryEx posted:

That's a hella shifty pig, you should probably not turn your back to it

that pig is a HERO!

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Each Master Round should be some kind of small buff to your other stats, like damage/fire rate/reload speed. Those are actually good, and make more sense than getting a health up for not losing any health.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Gamerofthegame posted:

I got to forge for the first time thanks to my turtle shell buddy! Hooray!

I lost three hearts to a platforming room with a giant hammer.

WHY IS THERE A GIANT HAMMER

The hammer is a part of a gun, the Gungeon is just bad at realizing context.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Scattershot is actually really good vs bosses, I don't know why everyone complains about it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

TaurusTorus posted:

Each Master Round should be some kind of small buff to your other stats, like damage/fire rate/reload speed. Those are actually good, and make more sense than getting a health up for not losing any health.

Each master round should raise your ammunition cap by 10%, raise Coolness a bit, and very slightly weight enemy spawns towards tougher enemy types. So someone who's only good enough to flawless a boss or two won't notice any difference in spawns but will certainly appreciate the boosted ammo storage, while a supernerd who does a Clone run and aces every boss will be a loving action hero with bottomless ammo bandoliers but will also be facing a raging clusterfuck of elite bullet kin in every room (resulting in more money to keep that sweet rampage going).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have an inkling that the gun game mode might not be thought out very well

if you get a cursed gun in the rotation, the curse won't decrease afterwards

i just had to fight the dragun with the lord of the jammed on my rear end because the game just COULD NOT STOP giving me the unicorn horn again and again

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Angry Diplomat posted:

Each master round should raise your ammunition cap by 10%, raise Coolness a bit, and very slightly weight enemy spawns towards tougher enemy types. So someone who's only good enough to flawless a boss or two won't notice any difference in spawns but will certainly appreciate the boosted ammo storage, while a supernerd who does a Clone run and aces every boss will be a loving action hero with bottomless ammo bandoliers but will also be facing a raging clusterfuck of elite bullet kin in every room (resulting in more money to keep that sweet rampage going).

Make each master round effectively be a cursed Magic Sweet IMO

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

HenryEx posted:

I have an inkling that the gun game mode might not be thought out very well

if you get a cursed gun in the rotation, the curse won't decrease afterwards

i just had to fight the dragun with the lord of the jammed on my rear end because the game just COULD NOT STOP giving me the unicorn horn again and again

it takes a very small amount of time to come up with conceptual game modes and a very long to balance and iron out every possible glitch and issue in them. im fine with side modes being fun for a few tries but not fleshed out enough to really stand up to scrutiny as long as the primary game mode is fully functional. hopefully more npcs that allow you to take random conditional paths are added in the future

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Lovely Senorita posted:

I think you got the frost giant confused with the phoenix.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The round is a reward for doing well and learning a particular boss. It doesn't need to be something that has a penalty attached to it

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

The round is a reward for doing well and learning a particular boss. It doesn't need to be something that has a penalty attached to it

I agree that curse would be a Very Bad thing to put on master rounds, but I think subtly tweaking the spawns upward would work out to a wash since it would pay off in the form of additional money with which to buy additional guns with which to enjoy your additional ammo storage.

vvv I did not know this! vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 14, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not much you can do without turning the enemies jammed, since every room has a fixed enemy layout

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

HenryEx posted:

Not much you can do without turning the enemies jammed, since every room has a fixed enemy layout

increased chance to spawn gun fairies

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down
If you can't get one or two master rounds you're probably not quite ready or don't have the items and weapons for the Dragun yet anyways. I think the Master Rounds are fine as is, just good enough to be useful but not so good that they destroy the learning curve.

To return to bitching mode, I killed the Wallmonger and lost my loving TV because his fat rear end died on it. FIX UR BUG DODGE ROLL

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Woo beat Dragun for the first time after 28 hours!

The BFG kind of trivialised the final floor and then The Sling / Eye of the Beholder made short work of him.

Are there any unlocks I should be working towards ASAP?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Two runs after getting the Shambling Round hunting quest, I have a whopping 1 Shambling Round seen doing full clears of the third floor both times :stonk:

frozenpeas posted:

Woo beat Dragun for the first time after 28 hours!

The BFG kind of trivialised the final floor and then The Sling / Eye of the Beholder made short work of him.

Are there any unlocks I should be working towards ASAP?

I'd focus on the Ox and Cadence unlocks, although make a detour to the Military Surplus Orc for Double Vision and C0mm4ndo at least if you don't already have them. I think the Professor Goopton items are probably the worst as a whole, but Gundromeda Strain/Abyssal Tentacle/The Membrane are all really good at the top.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Use the cheat engine script for the monster kills posted a few pages ago. Shambling rounds are the absolute worst.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Oh wow, didn't realise you could unlock items from the orc haha!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
New personal speedrun best:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Took me only 70 hours of gameplay to find the map man on the 5th floor. Why is this a thing.

edit: for reference, floor 1-4 were mapped 50 hours ago

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

HenryEx posted:

Took me only 70 hours of gameplay to find the map man on the 5th floor. Why is this a thing.

edit: for reference, floor 1-4 were mapped 50 hours ago

I have 100+ hours in this game, and I have seen the map dude exactly once on floor 1, and that was before the patch that fixed that achievement. Feels Bad Man

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
After mainly playing the Pilot, I couldn't believe how much more of an easier time the Marine has during the early game. I think the Pilot snowballs a bit easier due to lower shop costs and inherent 2nd item slot though? I have yet to ever touch the Convict or Ranger.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Can I just say that the Bullet Borer + Quickdraw is a perfect Dragun killer.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hunter is awesome. The main pistol only holds 6 shots, so you need to reload all the time, but it's enough to kill 2 bullet kin on floor 1 per reload. Accurate enough from mid-range to also reliably get the 2 kills per clip. Has a crossbow that can kill the 1st floor boss in usually sub-40 shots, which is great to insulate you from crappy weapon drops, and also clears rooms like it's nothing. Plus, chance for additional loot every room.

Convict is eh. The photo only triggers on getting hit, which you want to avoid, and it's not even damage that works passively like on a Heart of Ice or a Honeycomb, you still gotta shoot and hit an enemy to get anything out of it. The sawed off is pretty bad, and drops off in effectiveness as early as floor 2. Basic pistol is nice and can be fired real quickly, but has even less shots than the Hunter's.

The Pilot is pretty much the worst of the characters, i feel, solely owed to his atrocious gun. What good is your 8 shot weapon when you'll only hit 3 of them?

It's pretty much Hunter/Marine > Convict > Pilot

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Metrohunter posted:

After mainly playing the Pilot, I couldn't believe how much more of an easier time the Marine has during the early game. I think the Pilot snowballs a bit easier due to lower shop costs and inherent 2nd item slot though? I have yet to ever touch the Convict or Ranger.

Pilot is the most RNG dependent dude, what with his pick lock skill being a 50/50 chance and, of course, the money and second slot potentially not even coming up at all. Marine's main thing is accuracy, so he's more the baseline and useful through the entire run. Convict and Ranger both start with decent weapons that can deal with the bosses, so they have an easier time early but get no real favors later on.

Edit: I somehow got 5 keys out of the first floor and then promptly died to a thousand gently caress ups on the Oubliette, god damnit

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 14, 2016

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Pilot has a lot of hidden power that you forget about with the crappy basic pistol - more ammo per gun, whatever you get from lockpicking chests, and potentially doing the Oubliette with one key at the end of the first floor. The potential for carrying a combat use item along with something that lets you steal/cigarettes/jetpack/whatever is a cherry on top.

I've been working on blessed runs to try and get Gunther, and jesus christ the game loves giving you the Plunger, that + bouncing bullets is really, really bad if you don't have poison immunity. That run went on to end in the forge with me trying to take down a jammed spectral gun nut with a staple gun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/games/311690/announcements/detail/958516424868539410

Look at the bottom section of this if you want to turn off the screen panning with the mouse cursor

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This game desperately needs an Eden character. Give 'em maybe a standard inf. ammo gun that's always the same, then +1 random gun and +1 or maybe 2 random passives/actives.

I don't care if i have to pay like 3 HC for a run with it, just patch it in already

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sure, there'll be runs where you start with the Mega Buster and the Super Hot Watch, but there'll be just as many where you start with the Ruby Bracelet and the Derringer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
OK, am I the only one peeved that the Patriot doesn't have infinite ammo?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I actually like the Ruby Bracelet because starting every room by hurling an exploding gun at the nearest fucker is hilarious.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The true power of the pilot is being able to ditch the lockpick and take two active items. Doesn't necessarily happen every run, but holy poo poo it can be fun and powerful. The shop discount is pretty much straight up better than the dog and 10% more ammo is nice. Occasionally getting something out of a chest by lockpick is more the icing on top that then main event. I put the pilot as a solid #2 on the power scale.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is there a way to lock in my zoom level on the map between playthroughs? Scrolling out to max zoom every single play is annoying but it lets me see the entire map at once without having to drag it around and waste my time.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

HenryEx posted:

This game desperately needs an Eden character. Give 'em maybe a standard inf. ammo gun that's always the same, then +1 random gun and +1 or maybe 2 random passives/actives.

I don't care if i have to pay like 3 HC for a run with it, just patch it in already

This game doesn't have enough passives as unique as binding of Isaac's to work that way, I think.

For 3 HC per run, I think it'd work a little better to do one random passive/active but instead of a regular infinite ammo pistol give him a random d tier/brown chest gun that has infinite ammo.

Low tier guns fall off quickly enough that it'd be overpowered for all of like one floor if you started with something really nice, and leaves the door open for silly stuff like running out of ammo on dragun and getting stuck trying to kill him with an infinite ammo mega douser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there any way to make the camera pan towards the players' cursors in co-op just like in singleplayer? The #1 thing making coop harder than singleplayer (other than losing random items permanently when one player dies) is the fact that the camera only cares about where the players are, not where they are aiming. This means you're frequently shooting at things you can't even see on the screen, which is a pretty big problem on the bosses and bigger rooms. I want the camera to interpolate between the 2 players and their 2 aiming directions, not just the players.