Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AgentJotun posted:

The scene re: Stannis death

Roose - Thanks to you the false king Stannis Baratheon is dead. Do you know who struck the killing blow?

Ramsay - No

Roose - A shame. I'd reward the man. Still, a great victory. Do you feel like a victor?

It's strongly implied, but not stated that Stannis' body was found. There's still hope drat it!

But they forgot to burn his body so he's going to come back as a wight and conquer the seven kingdoms one way or another.

Can't stop the mannis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Can somebody explain why these GoT nerds are trying to crowdfund $20 million dollars to redo the Dorne portion of the plot?

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/game-of-thrones-kickstarter-trying-to-raise-20-million

If this is better suited for the spoiler thread let me know. Somebody previously here told me 'start from the beginning and when you get to S5, skip the Sand Snakes stuff'. Was the plot lousy in the show, or just way different? My only exposure to that portion is the King (?) and his dandy son getting iced in the first episode. Is it just a snooze fest, or are people just cranky b/c 'that's not how it was in the boooooooooooks!'?

I've never read the books and the Dorne parts of the show were really, really bad. They were poorly written, poorly acted, poorly choreographed, character actions made no sense, and they had very little relevance to anything else happening on the show except as a way to get Jaime out of King's Landing so that Cersei could run wild. Then some book people came along and said that a) Dorne was way better in the books; and b) Jaime has other plots outside of King's Landing in the books that they could have done instead to get him out of Cersei's way.

Dorne is/was/will be bad.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
In this rare instance it's actually both

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Book readers have been mocking the book version of Dorne for years now, all of this reeks of rose tinted revisionism.

It was better than the show version but even more disconnected from the rest of the story and very uneventful.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
It's better in the books but still pretty lovely. At least the show version had God-tier tits.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kevyn posted:

It's better in the books but still pretty lovely. At least the show version had God-tier tits.

I thought Alexandra Daddario was in true detective?

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget, Hodor totally hanged dong.

I don't remember any of the important plot points from Branns boring arc such as whenever gently caress they lost Rickon, but I will remember this til the day I die.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Sickening posted:

I thought Alexandra Daddario was in true detective?

Not quite Daddarian but the Sand Snake chick edged Nicky Sobotkas girlfriend out of the #2 spot. It's been a rough couple of years for her after nearly 10 years as the uncontested Heavyweight Breast Objects Champion

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

vyelkin posted:

I've never read the books and the Dorne parts of the show were really, really bad. They were poorly written, poorly acted, poorly choreographed, character actions made no sense, and they had very little relevance to anything else happening on the show except as a way to get Jaime out of King's Landing so that Cersei could run wild. Then some book people came along and said that a) Dorne was way better in the books; and b) Jaime has other plots outside of King's Landing in the books that they could have done instead to get him out of Cersei's way.

idk man. Before reading posts on the internet about how bad Dorne was I didn't really think twice about it. Everything up to this point from a plot standpoint makes sense and really isn't bad. Maybe the execution could've been better? But I'm not sitting here watching slowed down gifs of their fight with Jamie and Bronn to distract myself from the fact that GRRM is really never releasing another book like most virgin shitlords that obsess over the bad pussy line.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Dorne in the books aren't so much bad but super duper loving duper long winded with little pay off. Like, more so than anything else. If he had a real editor and pared it down it could be interesting because things do move along eventually.

But who knows? It might just be the pacing of ADWD. If I read only the Martell / Dorne chapters straight through without other PoVs chopping it up it might be interesting and paced well.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

vyelkin posted:

anybody who says that dorne in the books is good is completely full of poo poo

i guess you could make a case that it's "better" but still

e: i recall one person complaining about how the show took the "amazing" character of areo "the camera that rides" hotah and making him a nothing character and that's why i have trouble take criticisms from book readers seriously

romanowski fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 13, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dear Sergio posted:

idk man. Before reading posts on the internet about how bad Dorne was I didn't really think twice about it. Everything up to this point from a plot standpoint makes sense and really isn't bad. Maybe the execution could've been better? But I'm not sitting here watching slowed down gifs of their fight with Jamie and Bronn to distract myself from the fact that GRRM is really never releasing another book like most virgin shitlords that obsess over the bad pussy line.

Not having read the books, I thought Dorne was fine if a little weird until that fight with Jaime and Bronn and the Sand Snakes and that fight was really bad and it threw me for a loop and then every other scene after that was also really bad and then I was like "wow Dorne was really bad."

e: oh poo poo I forgot about the scene where the sand snakes kill the ship captain, that comes before the terrible fight scene and was insanely dumb, that was probably the moment I was like "wtf is going on here???"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

That DICK! posted:

Stannis faked his death and is now managing a Cinnabun in Nebraska

"Extra large? You'll have a large or I'll destroy you. The extra large Cinnabons are mine by rights."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So in case people want to :spergin: some more about the Tower of Joy fight, here's a review by a historian and historical combat recreator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drd8dQKr-oY

tl;dw: It got less things wrong than you'd think, and was overall pretty solid even from a :goonsay: perspective.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It was a cool scene, the only problem was that guy dual wielding, it looks extremely silly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

marktheando posted:

It was a cool scene, the only problem was that guy dual wielding, it looks extremely silly.

Schola Gladiatoria has a really interesting video analyzing the fight and some of the dumb stuff about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drd8dQKr-oY

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

the main plot beats of the Dorne thing aren't too bad... Jaime and Bronn steal into Dorne, get busted, the moderate Dorne ruler appeases them and gets iced for it. The writing and execution was all pretty hackneyed though

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 13, 2016

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

romanowski posted:

i guess you could make a case that it's "better" but still

I've got one word for anyone arguing this: Darkstar

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

the main plot beats of the Dorne thing aren't too bad... Jaime and Bronn steal into Dorne, get busted, the moderate Dorne ruler appeases them and gets iced for it. The writing and execution was all pretty hackneyed though

The biggest problem is that the assassination of Doran and Trystane should have been in the season five finale. Especially IF that's the one and only time that we're checking in with the Dorne plot this season. It would be like if Bran getting to the tree and Jojen dying were in the season 5 premiere instead of the season 4 finale.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

COOL CORN posted:

Schola Gladiatoria has a really interesting video analyzing the fight and some of the dumb stuff about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drd8dQKr-oY

This is a bunch of nerdy nitpicking and I love it :glomp:

I like that he points out that "Florentine-style" is hilariously stupid and fake too. Although then after nitpicking on two swords being bad, he says that some Bolognese people used it in a duel so its okay with Arthur Dayne, which I kinda disagree with but we've beat that dead horse already. Other good nitpicking though like sticking his sword in the ground.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Perestroika posted:

So in case people want to :spergin: some more about the Tower of Joy fight, here's a review by a historian and historical combat recreator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drd8dQKr-oY

tl;dw: It got less things wrong than you'd think, and was overall pretty solid even from a :goonsay: perspective.

If you watch this then holy poo poo go outside and live your life

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

AAA DOLFAN posted:

So of us have to do something at work besides analyze the dolphins past failures.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
This is how the book did the Tower of Joy scene, in case anyone wants to know. It's from the first book. We were expecting this back in Season 1.

Book posted:

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm’s End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

Which do you prefer?

Show posted:

Lord Stark.

I looked for you on the Trident.

We weren't there.

Your friend the usurper would lie beneath the ground if we had been.

The Mad King is dead. Rhaegar lies beneath the ground. Why weren't you there to protect your prince?

Our prince wanted us here.

Where's my sister?

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

And now it begins.

No. Now it ends.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Neither is particularly good.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The book one goes on and loving on.

That's my view of the books generally though.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
the second one. none of this anime shadow sword poo poo.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It's good dialogue for the page, considerably harder to actually say out loud on the show without it being stilted.

Besides, we needed that time to show Tyrion in a room doing literally nothing

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

quote:

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

Echos Mance's final words to Stannis; not sure what that means though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjO75eQ_2Y&t=365s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Maarak posted:

Echos Mance's final words to Stannis; not sure what that means though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjO75eQ_2Y&t=365s

It means "you may beat me now but you're probably gonna die" :cheeky:

Although on a long enough time scale that's true of everybody.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

BabyFur Denny posted:

the second one. none of this anime shadow sword poo poo.

The book version is a part of a dream sequence, Ned notes how he doesn't even remember the faces of his comrades which he swore he'd never forget, that's why they're shadows and why Dayne is this angelic figure.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yo I know Ned is pretty honorable and poo poo but gently caress you'd think he'd snap one day and tell Cate to gently caress off with all that Jon Snow bullshit, because why put himself and Cate through that poo poo when he's not even his son.

At this point, I hope his mother is Martel so at least there's a loving reason we're showing anything to do with Dorne.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Yeah. It's okay to watch a TV show about what some fat American thought the middle ages were like, but if you take an interest in the actual real middle ages oh god you're such a loving dweeb get a life.

The nerd self loathing is starting to get real loving old in this thread. gently caress off.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 13, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Doctor Butts posted:

Yo I know Ned is pretty honorable and poo poo but gently caress you'd think he'd snap one day and tell Cate to gently caress off with all that Jon Snow bullshit, because why put himself and Cate through that poo poo when he's not even his son.

"Promise me, Ned" is the last thing Lyanna tells him, the promise surely had something to do with Jon but we don't know what, when the dream sequence ends Ned thinks about "promises unfulfilled". He probably had a good reason to keep Cat out of the loop but nobody knows what it was.

Thankfully D&D are probably gonna reveal the answer to that question within the next couple of months.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

One thing I learned from that video was the proper name for studded leather, which is apparently 'coat of plates'. In D&D and RPGs you often get studded leather as a go-between for leather armor and proper plate armor, but studded armor is a "myth" in that studs add nothing to the real protection of leather. But the whole thing is just a misnomer because the studs are part of the construction that allows for pockets of plate which does add protection. Cool.

Although, googling 'coat of plates' that seems to refer to something else rather than the studded leather pockets that Ned Stark was wearing, so maybe he was thinking of something else? Or maybe the term refers to both? According to Wikipedia that's actually called a "jack of plates" or "Brigandine". I wonder why everybody calls it "studded leather" instead.

Still surprised he overall liked it though. Its like he was so happy just to see people get stabbed instead of slashed that he overlooked all his own complaints about how unrealistic some of the stabs were. (I guess I the show writers would consider it too "dishonorable" to stab somebody through the armpit, even though poo poo like that is absolutely how real combat went down)

tooterfish posted:

Yeah. It's okay to watch a TV show about what some fat American thought the middle ages were like, but if you take an interest in the actual real middle ages oh god you're such a loving dweeb get a life.

The nerd self loathing is starting to get real loving old in this thread. gently caress off.

Its a problem with this whole forum. You can be really into something but you better not actually express interest or admiration for that thing or a bunch of other goons will tell you how uncool you are for it and how cool they are for ironic posting instead. :rolleyes: Even though they're into it just as much as you are.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 13, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

tooterfish posted:

A nerd with out shame is no true nerd.

:goonsay:

I think the issue is more that there isn't much of a point going all MAH REALZISM when talking about a fantasy TV show.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

http://twistedsifter.com/2016/05/nicolas-cage-game-of-thrones-photoshop/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Xae posted:

I think the issue is more that there isn't much of a point going all MAH REALZISM when talking about a fantasy TV show.

This argument is just as equally dumb, and comes up anytime somebody tries to argue a plot hole in Harry Potter or Game of Thrones

"Its fantasy! there's dragons!"

Just because Harry Potter has time travel and magic doesn't mean you get to just ignore when suddenly that time travel makes no sense. A plot hole is a plot hole.

Okay, but everything else still operates like in our world, and it should be internally consistent. If GRRM starts writing scenes where metal only weighs as much as a feather and has wildly different properties than metal in our world, sure. Especially if he calls it "mithril" or something.

If you're talking about steel, and its described as solid and heavy and exactly like the steel we know about, and he's drawing on elements of the war of the roses and medieval European history, then its safe to assume they operate like in our world, and then using them inconsistently is a plot hole.

If you don't care about the consistency you can just ignore it, but please stop telling other people not to care "because its fantasy". That's dumb.

I have no problem with Brienne cutting right through somebody's sword because she has a semi-magic Valyrian blade. But its already been established that most people do NOT have those, most people have common steel swords, and we know that common steel swords can't just cut through plate armor like paper, so if you're not Brienne or using one of the other Valyrian blades, then you shouldn't be able to. If you can, it contradicts the fact that valyrian blades work different than normal blades which the show itself established.

Cage of Thrones or Game of Cage? :allears:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zaphod42 posted:

Still surprised he overall liked it though. Its like he was so happy just to see people get stabbed instead of slashed that he overlooked all his own complaints about how unrealistic some of the stabs were. (I guess I the show writers would consider it too "dishonorable" to stab somebody through the armpit, even though poo poo like that is absolutely how real combat went down)

I actually thought it was really refreshing for one of these types of videos to have an opinion along the lines of "yeah there's some stuff in here that isn't perfectly accurate, but they obviously made the effort and at the end of the day the show's job is to entertain, not be 100% accurate to the realities of medieval combat."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Gotta admit, at first I thought the Stannis one hadn't been photoshopped at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

I actually thought it was really refreshing for one of these types of videos to have an opinion along the lines of "yeah there's some stuff in here that isn't perfectly accurate, but they obviously made the effort and at the end of the day the show's job is to entertain, not be 100% accurate to the realities of medieval combat."

Its true, a fair and balanced opinion is appreciated. Also he makes a good point that its still leagues ahead of the sand snakes or even Jaime's choreography which is far worse.

And while I thought the twirling swords was dumb, he makes a fair point that it could simply be meant to intimidate and keep the multiple opponents at range and guessing as to your next move, which isn't a totally bad idea. (I still think any one of them could knock those twirling swords out of his hands and he'd be hosed though)

And he called out the reverse-grip as being bad. (It makes sense with a knife, but not really on a sword) but they were probably just trying to think of ways to show that Dayne is very skilled at fighting many ways. He also pointed out the disarm at the end was kinda unrealistic, and there's no reason to disarm Ned Stark when you could kill him, but doing so makes it more obvious to the audience that Ned was beaten completely, and I buy that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 13, 2016

• Locked thread