Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Double post to say that La Cumbre is doing a strawberry gose for the summer and I'm pretty psyched because their last gose was one of the better ones I've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

funkybottoms posted:

i was joking about how we seem to have differing opinions from time to time. obviously a lot of folks dig this beer, but i am not a lot of folks (fortunately for the rest of the world). you try Veil's sour IPA? i thought it tasted like burnt hair and plastic. i killed off Circle of Wolves, though, so that was cool.

Bob From Marketing? It was probably my least favorite of Veil's stuff so far, it was like an intensely dry-hopped imperial Berliner. So, pretty good, but it wasn't the "sour IPA" that I expected. And it's funny you say that because when I tried Circle of Wolves (an English barleywine, for the benefit of those in the thread who are not me or funkybottoms), I immediately thought "now this is a Veil beer that Steve would love". Really looking forward to when that stuff comes out of the barrel.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Belated Cellar Raid Day. Well, most of my Cellar Raid Days are going to be belated because I now have band practice on Wednesday nights, so c'est la vie. Stone IRS, 2012 vintage.

This was one of the first beers I've ever purchased with the intention of aging for flavour development rather than just waiting for the right tasting. I may have opened one of these for a previous Cellar Raid, but it's been long enough that it's worth a revisit, as this beer is now 4 years old.

When fresh, IRS is a drat good imperial stout and probably the best beer in Stone's regular lineup. I got sour on them because of that whole kickstarter fiasco a while ago, but there's no denying that IRS isn't one of the best non-BA imperial stouts around, and actually a decent value at that. On my first trip to San Francisco in 2010 or 2011 or so, I had 2007 IRS on draft and it was one of the best beers I had ever tasted up to that point, and knew that it could age with the best of them. This bottle doesn't quite equal that experience, but it shows that IRS still has some life left in it even after four years. Some fruity sherry-type oxidation, some alcohol heat, roast, and a bit of anise in there too. Probably will be just fine when I decide to open another bottle a year from now, but I'm not sure how much longer it will hold on beyond that.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

sean10mm posted:

So what's similar to Hitachino White Nest Ale, but doesn't cost as much as weapons-grade plutonium? Because I just had some and it was pretty great.

(The drink, not the plutonium.)

You could do a lot worse than Maisels Weiss, assuming its available in the US. German, so comes in half liter bottles as well, for less than the cost of White Nest (Which is a great beer)

Blanche de Bruxelles if you ever see it as well, tastes remarkably like apricots for a wit.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Anyone going to Societe's fourth anniversary thing, Council Brewing's second anniversary thing, or Stone Sourfest? I have tickets to all three, because I have no regard for my liver.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
lmao https://www.reddit.com/r/beer/comments/4j506q/my_bottle_of_marshmallow_handjee_2016_dark_lord/

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Welp, time to get my allotment into the rubbermaid container and hope for the best.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

cryme posted:

I don't think Hitachino White is notably better than say, Allagash White. The St. Bernardus Wit is also very good but will likely cost around the same amount as Hitachino (probably like 18/4pk)

I've had Allagash White on my list of things to try for years at this point, so I guess even though I'm closer to the east coast it's not available in my area. Beermenus says the nearest location is 230 miles away :smith:.

St. Bernardus Wit is also fantastic, but I've still preferred Hitachino White. I'm terrible at describing beer but St. Bernardus Wit is almost too perfect. It's got a crisp and clean taste, but it's very safe and doesn't really do anything outside of the box.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Hauki posted:

Double post to say that La Cumbre is doing a strawberry gose for the summer and I'm pretty psyched because their last gose was one of the better ones I've had.

ISO because La Cumbre rocks my socks. Also looking for elevated while we are at it.

Edit: Also a Project Dank or 2 would be good.

sterster fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 13, 2016

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

I hope Three Floyds response is caveat emptor.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sterster posted:

ISO because La Cumbre rocks my socks. Also looking for elevated while we are at it.

Edit: Also a Project Dank or 2 would be good.
If you're serious, elevated I can get readily and I'm probably headed down around the end of June and can get the others then as well.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Hauki posted:

If you're serious, elevated I can get readily and I'm probably headed down around the end of June and can get the others then as well.

Totally serious. Where abouts are you? I'm in Az so don't have anything super special. I do have access to Arizona Wilderness and other locals. Small cellar I can open up if you are looking for something in particular.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

I hope Three Floyds response is caveat emptor.

Not according to this person:

huntherd 17 points 3 hours ago posted:

A guy in my fb group had this year's BA Behemoth do the exact same thing. He contacted FFF and they gave him a double barrel Dark lord for it.

DBDL!!!!!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sterster posted:

Totally serious. Where abouts are you? I'm in Az so don't have anything super special. I do have access to Arizona Wilderness and other locals. Small cellar I can open up if you are looking for something in particular.

Colorado. I'm not really looking for anything in particular, just stuff that doesn't make it to distribution here (or in NM) ideally.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Whoa that sucks. I'm shocked that any yeast could still be alive and kickin in that kind of environment.

danbanana posted:

Not according to this person:

DBDL!!!!!

Calling it double barrel dark lord is some hilarious beer nerd marketing.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
How come nobody's called anything Triple Barrel yet? There's nowhere to go but up baby!

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
E: double barrel post?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Hauki posted:

Yeah, I got that, I was referring to him saying he wanted to try BA ten fidy. I should drive up to Longmont at some point too though.
I tend to like a lot of barrel aged stuff anyway, but I guess Parabola is probably still my favourite stout as far as that goes.

I had BA Ten Fidy and thought it was just OK, but I drank it in the middle of a night where I did Parabola and Abyss verts so my palate was fatigued. I've long argued that shelf stouts like Ten Fidy and Stone IRS are just as good as some of the hype beer, they just don't get attention because they're common.

cryme posted:

How come nobody's called anything Triple Barrel yet? There's nowhere to go but up baby!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone going to this Rare Barrel event?

https://www.therarebarrel.com/product/Another-World

Apparently, City Beer Store and loving Cellarmaker are having events on the same day...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

cryme posted:

gently caress it. We're doing five barrels.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Three Floyd's invents new Quantum Barrel aging program, allowing the beer to be aged in an infinite number of alternate universes simultaneously.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Phanatic posted:

gently caress it. We're doing five barrels.

Port, Tequila, Scotch, Maple, and Hot Sauce

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

robotsinmyhead posted:

Three Floyd's invents new Quantum Barrel aging program, allowing the beer to be aged in an infinite number of alternate universes simultaneously.

Schrodinger's Stout - the beer exists in a superposition of both barrel aged and not barrel aged, until you open the bottle.

Also, actually drank this on Wednesday for Cellar Raid:

This was accidentally aged - I'd forgotten all about 2 cans of Monk's Blood in a drawer in my closet. I don't remember loving this beer when I first bought it, which is probably why I forgot about it, and I do not believe I've bought any in the 4 years since these showed up for the first time in NC. I may now have to embark on a Monk's Blood aging project, however, because this was a fantastic drinker. Extremely smooth, with a nice sweetness. I don't remember the vanilla being noticeable fresh, and it's still barely there. Cinnamon had fallen off quite a bit, which is probably why I liked the beer a lot more now - fresh, I seem to remember it being too strong. The base beer came through much more, and it's a really nice Belgian dark ale.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

cryme posted:

A cocktail lounge in Chicago had an event hosted by Jeppe of Evil Twin fame a few years ago. He got a hold of 9 different high quality barrels which covered Bourbon, Scotch, Tequila, Cognac, Brandy and probably some other crap. He stuck a base beer in and each beer was showcased. They also combined all nine barrels to make.... NONA-BA-BEER!

One of the barrels was Laphroiag and the final product tasted like a lovely tire fire.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Finally got to Cellarmakers. poo poo was great. Picked up a growler.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

katkillad2 posted:

I've had Allagash White on my list of things to try for years at this point, so I guess even though I'm closer to the east coast it's not available in my area. Beermenus says the nearest location is 230 miles away :smith:.

St. Bernardus Wit is also fantastic, but I've still preferred Hitachino White. I'm terrible at describing beer but St. Bernardus Wit is almost too perfect. It's got a crisp and clean taste, but it's very safe and doesn't really do anything outside of the box.

Wasn't the St Bernardus Wit recipe developed by the Hoegaarden guy (the guy responsible for modern witbiers)?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Compusaurus posted:

A cocktail lounge in Chicago had an event hosted by Jeppe of Evil Twin fame a few years ago. He got a hold of 9 different high quality barrels which covered Bourbon, Scotch, Tequila, Cognac, Brandy and probably some other crap. He stuck a base beer in and each beer was showcased. They also combined all nine barrels to make.... NONA-BA-BEER!

One of the barrels was Laphroiag and the final product tasted like a lovely tire fire.

I love laphroaig, but the idea of aging a beer in their barrels sounds vile.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
JW Lee's Laphroaig Harvest Ale is pretty vile.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm still waiting for a Tabasco barrel imperial <crustacean> stout from someone. I saw copper tail put their stone crab stout (which is good) in armagnac barrels but I didn't get any an haven't heard reviews of it so I have no idea how it came out.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What annoying brewing trend whore things are we going to see once everyone is tired of pushing high IBU numbers as a form of dick measuring and using inappropriate kinds of barrels? Adjuncts entirely unknown to organic chemistry? Some kind of meat based beer?

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm still waiting for a Tabasco barrel imperial <crustacean> stout from someone. I saw copper tail put their stone crab stout (which is good) in armagnac barrels but I didn't get any an haven't heard reviews of it so I have no idea how it came out.

You mean Rogue hasn't done this yet? That sounds like the vile poo poo they'd churn out.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

sean10mm posted:

What annoying brewing trend whore things are we going to see once everyone is tired of pushing high IBU numbers as a form of dick measuring and using inappropriate kinds of barrels? Adjuncts entirely unknown to organic chemistry? Some kind of meat based beer?

the IBU arms race has pretty much disappeared- nowadays it's all about cool hops in a cloudy New England-style IPA, which is often only like 15-20 IBUs. more weird poo poo and every kind of barrel imaginable are still things, though

oh, and google Big rear end Money Stout...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

funkybottoms posted:

oh, and google Big rear end Money Stout...

Wow, what an interesting beer. Huge in every way, pours JET black with a very mahogany/tan colored head that starts at about a finger width and disappears int a ring around the glass. Oily coating o the sides of the globe it was poured into. Huge roasted character, all the big stout aromas of chocolate, tobacco, roasted marshmallow, and leathery funk. The taste is intense, mild coffee but tons of bitter 90% chocolate offset by sweet roasted malt, campfire, unlit cigars. Just massive. Mouth-feel is what you'd expect, oily, chewy and viscous but really a nice feeling beer.

A: Pitch black tar. Minimal lacing but it tries.

S: Raisins, booze, dried fruit, tar

T: Smoke, booze, creosote, molasses. Lot of chocolate and coffee.

M: Creamy smooth for the ABV

O: Definite sipper but we'll done. Suspect it might age we'll.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im starting to think some of these people dont actually have tastebuds anymore

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Control Volume posted:

BAMS is actually pretty good and does not taste like creosote. don't remember it smelling like tar, either.

it was before you started posting here, but someone (me, i think) found a review from BA wherein the user posted all kinds of negatives about a beer- including comparing some aspect of it to vomit- and still gave it like 3.2 out of 5. people are dumb.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

Beer review vocabulary ranges from hilariously inept and pretentious to downright wearisomely disgusting. I don't recall exactly which whiskey it was but my friend showed me this one review that said the whiskey had a taste like some ultra rare and obscure honey found on a few farms in new zealand and we both had a sensible chuckle at that. But nothing really compares to reviews of saisons and farmhouse ales:

http://saintsomewherebrewing.com/pays-du-soleil/

quote:

A: Poured a murky amber color with a dirty fizzy head. Nice head retention leaves plenty of bubbles and curtains of lacing in my glass
S: You can definitely tell there is a Dubbel base under all of this Brett. Big dates and figs with a rush of Brett funky, baby diaper and spiceiness. It smells sweet with a dash of heat to sting the nostrils

T: My first sip was delicously good. Big and bretty. That Dubbel base was perfect as I am a huge fan of the style. Loads of dates, figs and raisins with a candy syrup sweetness and pronounced spiciness. The Brett is big on this beer. There is a lot going on here..baby diaper and funk meet dark fruit galore. The finish is a warm stinging presence from the spice and the 8ABV. A bit sweet, lightly sticky with a funky dark fruity finish.

M: Medium-full bodied, well carbonated for a hybrid style. The carbonation did good to preserve the blend of styles. Not overly effervescent. Lots of funky sweetness on the palate provides a very unique and enjoyable mouthfeel

O: My first Saint Somewhere beer was a smash hit!

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

BAMS is actually pretty good and does not taste like creosote. don't remember it smelling like tar, either.

it was before you started posting here, but someone (me, i think) found a review from BA wherein the user posted all kinds of negatives about a beer- including comparing some aspect of it to vomit- and still gave it like 3.2 out of 5. people are dumb.

It's De Garde Loak after I said it was a confusing beer that I didn't necessarily hate but smelled bad. I think it was Ubik who found a review on beer advocate giving it a 3.7 while mentioning notes of diarrhea.

It was also the thread title for a bit.

Edit: it was a 3.8 on rate beer.

Chris’s tasting. Nose of diarrhea, Graham cracker and roasted nuts. Vomit, oak bourbon nose. Flavor is tart, balsamic, fig. Braches caramel rolls. Alcohol is nowhere apparent. I thought this was. 8%.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 14, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Smell: Subtle aromas of alcohol, fig, funkiness, raisins, fig, chocolate, industrial carcinogens, and fig. Significantly roasty. 4/5

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i still think i won

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697174

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

somebody post the murcielago review

edit:

3.66/5 rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle at CCB.

A - Pours a burnt orange color, off-white colored head, sticky lacing, thin collar, thin cap.

S - This bottle was opened with 5 other guys. Upon my initial sniff, one thing came to mind. I glanced around at the other guys and gauged what they were thinking. I said, "It smells like a certain thing." AgentZero then spoke up and said "I'm not going to say what this beer smells like." Right away, I knew exactly what he was thinking. This beer smells like vagina...no lie.

T - After the smell, it's nearly impossible to pick out anything else. It tastes like vagina. Sip after sip, I couldn't stop. :-) I thought about chugging the rest of the bottle, then thought better.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, creamy feel.

O - I bought 6 cases after I tried this...okay, kidding. Seriously though, it smells and tastes like vagina. Is this good or bad? I guess it depends on how you roll, homies. Very...unique? I guess I could have given the taste/smell of vagina a 4.5, but not really sure I could drink pour after pour of it. Maybe I'm not all man?

★ 1,068 characters

Sean9689, Mar 17, 2012

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 14, 2016