Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CrashCat posted:

Now you're just being intentionally obtuse, if you played the game you'd know it gives you higher soldiers throughout, and by the middle there are S and aboves just strewn everywhere no matter how lazy you were about base development

If you want to bitch about MGSV base development, gripe about FOBs or the storyline point that wipes out half your poo poo or the retarded balance that makes you wait for hundreds of actual hours over the course to unlock poo poo even if you farmed up the cash and other requirements, or the high likelihood that you won't even get the coolest poo poo until you're into or even well past the end stretch that is mostly filler and reused missions with a few "gently caress you player" plot points sprinkled throughout

It's not so bad to have some grinding in the game if the natural course of the game would get you anywhere near the coolest stuff, but it doesn't because they were too lazy to balance it. It's a great game in many ways but the filler, recycling and balance really spotlight how they managed their dev time poorly

Ground zeroes was the better game in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anyway I'm crazy suspicious of Doom actually being good since it's just big enough that people might just lie about it being good for the first month, like GTA 4 or FFX or Skyward Sword or Fallout 4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mordja posted:

Eh, they still take a while to react though. I mean, before I played Doom I was expecting them to behave more like the enemies in Return to Castle Wolfenstein or, heaven forbid, SHOGO, but you can actually clear out a room of soldiers pretty easily without them getting a shot off.

It's a little telling of how I like my classic games that my favorite gameplay modifier mod so far turned all the enemy shots into projectiles a la Metal Slug.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
metal gear ghost babel is good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

The one bad thing about classic Doom is that it takes like 100% of my concentration to play it. Usually I watch youtube videos or podcasts or whatever while I'm playing simpler video games like it, but Doom's balancing is set so that small fuckups can cost you big time and that makes it so I have to pay closer attention.

Yeah that's something true of old doom and less so in new doom but its still there. Playing several hours of rip and tear without pause leaves you feeling kinda fatigued, and getting turned around or confused is kinda frustrating.

But we've got plenty of games for when you want to just turn your brain off and walk forward in a shooting gallery, so I am very thankful to have this shooter that takes a little more of my attention.

Lurdiak posted:

Anyway I'm crazy suspicious of Doom actually being good since it's just big enough that people might just lie about it being good for the first month, like GTA 4 or FFX or Skyward Sword or Fallout 4.

New doom definitely isn't anything unbelievable, I think people saying GOTY were caught up in the moment. But it is undeniably fun, and that's great. And it looks amazing to boot.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

So I guess this new console Doom has a level editor? How the hell did I not hear about that before now? That might actually make it worth hunting for a bargain later on.

Tenzarin posted:

Ground zeroes was the better game in my opinion.
Yeah I won't argue there

I mean it's not enough game, but if MGSV was just like fifteen or twenty Ground Zeroes chained together I wouldn't complain in the least

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lurdiak posted:

Its good if you like older doom fps. As a modern fps it will seem lacking because it forgoes alot of changes you normally see in FPS games now. Its kinda like Duke Nuke Forever its a game from a different era. If you dont like that era you prob wont like this new Doom.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The great thing about hitscanners in Doom is that they shoot one another and actually infight if you mix them so massing them up doesn't really work from an encounter design perspective. The infighting in general is awesome, that's something more games could use (not just enemies doing friendly damage).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's something true of old doom and less so in new doom but its still there. Playing several hours of rip and tear without pause leaves you feeling kinda fatigued, and getting turned around or confused is kinda frustrating.

But we've got plenty of games for when you want to just turn your brain off and walk forward in a shooting gallery, so I am very thankful to have this shooter that takes a little more of my attention.

Well, when I say it's a bad thing, I don't mean it's bad that the game is that way. It's just bad for me as a person who doesn't play games where that happens very often.

edit: Also enemies can shoot through the wall part of those half-a-wall-high windows because the game considers everything including the player to have infinite height but I can't do the same and that sucks. But again, I'm willing to forgive that because the game is otherwise a marvel of technology.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 13, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Is there an MGS game you think is bad.

Of the canon series, not really. The MSX games aren't very fun to revisit but they're pretty neat games for products of the late-80s. MGS1-5 and PW are all killer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh gently caress and of course Revengeance.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
ghost babel also had the box maze which was pretty entertaining

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Snatcher is MGS canon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's cool that if you play a mission flawlessly in MGSV it's all one shot. I'm glad that part of GZ was achieved in the huge extension of that game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

In Training posted:

It's cool that if you play a mission flawlessly in MGSV it's all one shot. I'm glad that part of GZ was achieved in the huge extension of that game.

Except those annoying secondary objectives that require upgrades you don't get till near the end of the game.

The ground zeroes map seemed way more planned out, MGSV map just seemed like copy pasted crap.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I meant from a cinematography perspective, Tenzarin.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

corn in the bible posted:

its actually lightning returns

I haven't played Lightning Returns but I think I would like to, someday.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

In Training posted:

I meant from a cinematography perspective, Tenzarin.

A bunch of the story missions in MGSV are basically super side missions to rescue nameless redshirts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Since I have a PS3 now I'm going to play a random game from my collection I haven't played in years, today is Genji: Days of Blade aka the giant enemy crab game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Alexander really branching out with conquering, huh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why is the default name for my city also the name of a wonder

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Because the default city names are always historical capitals? In this case it's also a wonder?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Snak posted:

Because the default city names are always historical capitals? In this case it's also a wonder?

but that's silly

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes. I never fail to be amazed at th e general incompetence of people who make things.

For example, in Adobe premiere an industry standard AAA product by a leading manufacturer, they didn't couple the display of the mouse cursor tool to the action it will perform when you click. So there are situations where you are trying to manipulate a mask, and the cursor changes to the rotate tool, but when you click it, it performs some completely different task, like adding a vertex. Because they inexplicably coded one function to check what cursor tool should be displayed and made it completely separate from the function that determines what happen on a mouse click.

This is the sort of thing that I would expect from a high-school student. I failed software engineering, because I couldn't figure out how to work with a group who wanted to bypass version control and instead use a browser based ide for use to code our project live on its deployment platform. Those people already had jobs.

I'm going to go watch TV and edit YouTube videos until I run out of money and starve to death.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

You should build the New York next

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGQZItOMz6k

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
e: ^^ :) I really like that band.

Alexander's version has the little marks over two of the letters. Completely distinct from your Chicken Pizza

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 13, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm sure Adobe Premiere doesn't go through version control :rolleyes:. But seriously software like this is so complex that problems like that are inevitable which doesn't change the fact how genius the whole package is.

Also using Premiere to edit Youtube videos is quite an overkill, can't you use Videostudio like every other casual.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm really glad to hear the new Doom is good. I might just go pick it up tomorrow because my local game store is doing a banging trade-in deal right now.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Said it once but bears repeating:

The official Sonic The Hedgehog twitter account is a national treasure:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/731141987210919936

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's probably some 20something spouting epic memes to keep Sonic in the national trending topics.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Someone is having a lot of fun with that account.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Palpek posted:

But seriously software like this is so complex that problems like that are inevitable which doesn't change the fact how genius the whole package is.

haha

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

e: ^^ :) I really like that band.

Yeah, tally hall is great. a shame they broke up, but hopefully once they all finish their schooling they can get back together. I know one of them is still doing stuff and got really popular with that shia labeouf song but I think the rest might still be doing uni poo poo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Edmond Dantes posted:

well they know the series is pretty much dead. may as well have fun with the corpse.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

It's probably some 20something spouting epic memes to keep Sonic in the national trending topics.

hes in his thirties but yes thats exactly why they hired him

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

JordanKai posted:

I'm really glad to hear the new Doom is good. I might just go pick it up tomorrow because my local game store is doing a banging trade-in deal right now.
I was all ready to poo poo on it but just youtubing the stuff people have made with the level editor turns up a lot of cool things

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this vote is a travesty, slippy was the original meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

this vote is a travesty, slippy was the original meme

Slippy's popularity was hampered by Nintendo issuing infringement takedowns; dat boi doesn't have that complication

One is "a Chichen Itza" the other is "the Chichen Itza"

Which is which? That's a matter for war to settle :getin:

• Locked thread