Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Cat Face Joe posted:

So in conclusion, just go pick out whatever you think looks sweet as hell cause there's a whole lot.

Pretty much yeah. Some of the quality is a bit janky in places, there are certainly things to avoid, mainly to do with having really flimsy ankles (DEATHSLEET) but generally, if it looks cool and you like it, but it and paint it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

The Owlbear is great.

:agreed:

There's also a good selection of Wizards

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The Earth elemental is super fun

The pathfinder dragon that Invader mentioned is super cool.

The beholder, which I think they call an "eye beast" is fun.

In general the medium and large minis are consistently fun to paint.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The detail does get a little smudgy on some of the smaller ones though. But I've had great fun with all the ones I've painted.

Gravedigger was probably my best and certainly my favourite to paint.

This dude was also fun.

They're also hella easy to convert:

At some point I need to actually do a group photo of my Fantasy Fantastic 4 together...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the best part about bones is that since I'll never paint them, my kids have an effectively limitless supply of indestructible monsters and such at bath time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bad Munki posted:

I think the best part about bones is that since I'll never paint them, my kids have an effectively limitless supply of indestructible monsters and such at bath time.

It is you who is the monster.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
My childhood bathtime *would* have been improved with some toy dragons and giants.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

It is you who is the monster.

Yesterday, two orcs wrangled an octopus.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bad Munki posted:

Yesterday, two orcs wrangled an octopus.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This sounds like the best way to get Bones washed with warm soapy water before painting.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Its all fun and games until someone slips in the tub.

"No doctor, its a Bullete."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

"Excuse me doctor--or should I say cleric hhhuuhuhuhuhuhhh--but it's pronounced "liche" and you're going to need +1 forceps or better to remove it." :colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silly munki. Everyone knows you can't remove a liche until you destroy its phylactery.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Figures update! Those skeletal demihumans are awesome. I love the adventurer skeletons from the 2nd ks, so these are getting painted first when they arrive.

I also ordered that long dragon as my first 'large' dragon ever, it should work nicely. Though, I run 2e, and their dragons are hundreds of feet long, which don't work for the 5'=1" scale really, so I'll just chop off a final digit from their length to make them sane...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I got Not-Tiamat as my first bones dragon, because I am an insane person.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

I got Not-Tiamat as my first bones dragon, because I am an insane person.

I like it, it's amazing, but I'll both never use it in a game, and never paint it, so it's a $60 thing that would take a huge amount of shelf space, and collect dust.

That $60 could get a ton of other addon minis instead (which I did).

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I learned my lesson to not buy show pieces after the Terrasque.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ravendas posted:

I like it, it's amazing, but I'll both never use it in a game, and never paint it, so it's a $60 thing that would take a huge amount of shelf space, and collect dust.

Get yourself a detolf

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ravendas posted:

The answer, of course, is to buy the $60 thing and then buy an additional $60 of other things (which I did (multiple times)).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ravendas posted:

Figures update! Those skeletal demihumans are awesome. I love the adventurer skeletons from the 2nd ks, so these are getting painted first when they arrive.

I also ordered that long dragon as my first 'large' dragon ever, it should work nicely. Though, I run 2e, and their dragons are hundreds of feet long, which don't work for the 5'=1" scale really, so I'll just chop off a final digit from their length to make them sane...

Yea, the new skeletons are awesome and I am trying hard not to buy them but there is a decent chance I will find them in my order anyway. I just want all the spooky graveyard stuff.

Having seen the previews I am going to get Kyrthixixis or whatever, it looks like it will work nicely as either a display or a game piece as needed.

Remember pledge manager closes on June 1, so lock your stuff in!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Captain Invictus posted:

Get yourself a detolf

Will it fit in a Detolf?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Will it fit in a Detolf?

I have the DETOLF and KLINGSBO
The DETOLF is the king of value but its not very sturdy and thats worrying in a glass item.
Get the KLINGSBO instead its much nicer and doesnt have such a huge cap between shelves leading to more usable shelf space
It costs more but its a huge step up in quality

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

I have the DETOLF and KLINGSBO
The DETOLF is the king of value but its not very sturdy and thats worrying in a glass item.
Get the KLINGSBO instead its much nicer and doesnt have such a huge cap between shelves leading to more usable shelf space
It costs more but its a huge step up in quality

Having never heard of either of these, I instantly knew it was Ikea. I didn't realize I needed a glass cabinet. GREAT.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ravendas posted:

Having never heard of either of these, I instantly knew it was Ikea. I didn't realize I needed a glass cabinet. GREAT.
Detolfs are standard display cases for most folks, being good-looking and relatively dirt cheap compared to the majority of display cases. For miniatures it might be worth getting some staggered shelving for inside them, or go with that other one with more shelves, but for larger stuff detolfs work perfectly.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to add some shelves to my detolf, but don't know where to find glass shelves the same size without buying another full detolf.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You don't even necessarily need to, there are things such as the steps in the middle shelves on mine that work great for displaying things specifically made for detolf-style display cabinets, and I know while searching for those(though I can't for the life of me remember who made them), I saw some display items that would work as detolf shelf "extenders"(vertically) like you might need. So they at the very least definitely are out there.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
most people call them risers. Any plexiglass cube will function as a step

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

most people call them risers. Any plexiglass cube will function as a step

Good to know!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fauxtool posted:

most people call them risers.
Yes! That's the name, couldn't remember the exact name.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I called up a glass company and had them fabricate some shelves for me. Wasn't too much, like 30 bucks or so.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can very easily make your own risers with long rectangles of plexi and a heat gun.
Bend it into a flat topped U and done.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
If I wanted to pick up a huge batch of plastic models, what's the best way to buy prior reaper bones batches in bulk? I have ordered a bunch of season 3 models via the pledge manager but would be keen to pick up some KS 1 and 2 sets. The obvious channels are eBay and just a huge pile of stuff from an online store but wondering if I am missing anything / what's the best value

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

If I wanted to pick up a huge batch of plastic models, what's the best way to buy prior reaper bones batches in bulk? I have ordered a bunch of season 3 models via the pledge manager but would be keen to pick up some KS 1 and 2 sets. The obvious channels are eBay and just a huge pile of stuff from an online store but wondering if I am missing anything / what's the best value

What do you consider huge? If it's enough Reaper themselves would probably sell to you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There's a goon here that buys multiple mega-orders each bones kickstarter for reselling and may well have some stock left on hand. I forget who though. Was it captain invictus?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Yeah it's captain invictus. He has an SA Mart thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, I've got a thread here. Still have a lot of Bones 1 and 2 stuff, though I've managed to get rid of a lot of it over time.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Cool, I'm in Australia so shipping is going to be ghastly but will reach out.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
As the pledge manager for this closes in two weeks or so, I'm tempted to add one of those DVD sets to my order. Anyone have recommendations for which?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

As the pledge manager for this closes in two weeks or so, I'm tempted to add one of those DVD sets to my order. Anyone have recommendations for which?

I'd recommend the Dark Sword one, because I really like Jen Haley's work and style. Last gencon my buddy scored me a ticket to a sold out painting class with her as teacher, and it was great! She was a really effective teacher and she was really funny, and had lots of Gen con and painting anecdotes. Here's a clip of some of the DVD.

edit: I believe the class she taught was a variant of a true-metallic style, using metallic paints but incorporating other paints, inks and glazes, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I'm really on the fence about getting the not-Tiamat.

On the one hand, it's flippin' huge and looks really great. Nice detail, great design, and it's only $60.

On the other hand, that $60 could get me a lot more models, and I question as to whether or not I'll ever actually paint the drat thing. I have their Cthulhu and I haven't so much as looked at it since I bought it some time last year. I'm also looking to spend at most a $100, and $50 of it is pretty much automatically taken by the Graveyard expansion. Additionally, a friend is getting Ma'aldrakar, so if I want to see one in person I can always go over their place and marvel at something neither of us will ever paint.

:sigh:

• Locked thread