Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

KomradeX posted:

This is a topic that gets beaten to death about how awful Boomers are (cause they are) but it's beginner such a mantra that we over look that Gen X is even shittier than the Boomers

In their defense, they were raised by boomers, so it all circles 'round back to them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tempest_56 posted:

This stuff just makes me laugh, because you know that it's an empty threat. The moment it becomes economically/technologically feasible to replace a living worker with a cheaper machine (cheaper when allowing for investment cost/upkeep/errors/etc), nearly every drat business out there is going to replace the worker ASAP. Restaurant or otherwise. And that most industries are already working on doing just that already - this isn't a "We'll replace you with a machine if you want to earn more money", it's a "Wanting to be paid a living wage will make us replace you <X> number of months quicker than we already are going to".

it's already cheaper in terms of dollar cost. thing is that kiosks as of yet don't do a lot of the things that fast food workers actually do i.e. interact with customers. you'd be suprised how many people need help parsing a menu or deciding what they want to eat. this is one of the big thing that differentiates a fast food cashier from a sit-down restaurant server, the complexity and variety of the menu and knowledge about the restaurant's food

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Chokes McGee posted:

the actual answer is that people have self control and there's a difference between admiring briefly and being a loving creep

I'm pretty sure if you ogle people who don't want you to ogle them it's being a creep no matter how long you do it, actually

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's already cheaper in terms of dollar cost. thing is that kiosks as of yet don't do a lot of the things that fast food workers actually do i.e. interact with customers. you'd be suprised how many people need help parsing a menu or deciding what they want to eat. this is one of the big thing that differentiates a fast food cashier from a sit-down restaurant server, the complexity and variety of the menu and knowledge about the restaurant's food

You also can't tell a kiosk to go clean up the dining area, or to take over on the grill because the grill guy's on a smoke break, or to start taking drive through orders cause there's a huge line.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

radical meme posted:

Just LOL! It is not the same and I'm sorry that you and the other posters making some variation of this argument don't understand that. A vast majority of people were and are accepting of Lesbian/Gay rights because they know someone who is lesbian or gay. The issue of where a person born male is going to be allowed to take a piss in public grade school is going to cause a vast number of Democrat voters to recoil in horror at any Federal government mandates on the issue. Again, once the polling is done, I'll be interested to see where the numbers come down and I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong. For the sake of Hillary, Bernie and the Democratic party I certainly hope I'm wrong.

good news, you shivering purse dog

quote:

A CNN/ORC poll released Monday found a majority of Americans (57 percent) don't agree with bathroom bills like the one North Carolina is defending that restrict where transgender people can use the bathroom, while 38 percent do.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

WampaLord posted:

You also can't tell a kiosk to go clean up the dining area, or to take over on the grill because the grill guy's on a smoke break, or to start taking drive through orders cause there's a huge line.

And, since this is minimum wage labor we're talking here and thus zero loyalty to the company, the kiosk can't fill in on prep because someone no call/no showed and will never be seen or heard from again

The cross training that pretty much any restaurant requires of every employee means that nobody is getting phased out by a machine that can only kind of do one person's job

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

That seems like a really low amount of undecideds for this type of issue.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

and the fact that fast food employees cost their employers more than just the wage taxes. generally servers pay more to the restaurant than the restaurant pays them, so why would they wanna mess that up?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

quote:

Governor Phil Bryant has just directed his Department of Education to ignore the Obama administration's directive that all public schools nationwide may not discriminate against transgender students, calling it a social experiment.

"The Mississippi Department of Education should disregard the so-called guidance the Obama administration has issued regarding public schools' restroom policies," the Republican governor said in a statement he also posted to Facebook.

"The directive is nonbinding, and does not carry the force of law. Because these decisions are better left to the states, and not made at the point of a federal bayonet, Mississippi's public schools should not participate in the president's social experiment."

These guys don't seem to realize that North Carolina is in a sinking, leaky boat and you are not going to win.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

loving :lol: I live in a right to work state, they're generally kids making $8 if they're lucky. The more experienced cashiers work the registers and probably make $10.

Sorry about your state. I was mostly talking about places like Fred Meyer and Safeway. But now that I think about it, Walmart's setup works pretty well too.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Mississippi just really, really wants Lynch-sempai to notice them, okay?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Oracle posted:

In their defense, they were raised by boomers, so it all circles 'round back to them anyway.

Many of them are the children of members of the silent generation, especially on the earlier end because they're not generations in the strict sense. Boomers aren't perfect but they get a lot of poo poo for things out of their control, like the wage stagnation that began when they entered the workforce.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

That seems like a really low amount of undecideds for this type of issue.

Even though it's been annoying trans activists for years that gay rights activists always used the term "LGBT" when they often really just mean "gay men, lesbians I guess, and also bisexuals if they complain loud enough," I think it wound up being great for trans acceptance in the long run. If you've been thinking of yourself as 'pro-LGBT' but didn't know anything about trans issues, you're really unlikely to suddenly STOP 'being pro-LGBT' even if your understanding of what that means has changed slightly with greater trans visibility.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CommieGIR posted:

These guys don't seem to realize that North Carolina is in a sinking, leaky boat and you are not going to win.

Mississippi is just pissed that someone other than Alabama is trying to contend with them for the title of America's most regressive shithole.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
It's political correctness gone mad!!!!! :argh:

quote:

Former House Homeland Security Chairman Peter King (R-N.Y.) is refusing to apologize for using the racial slur "Japs" during an interview on MSNBC on Friday morning, saying people are "too politically correct."

In a phone interview Friday, King said he was making a broader point about the divisive state of today's politics. During the call, King repeated the epithet again to a reporter.

"I stand by the merits of what I said. I was quoting the guy at the end of the bar who needlessly offends, who makes snaps decisions and doesn't care, who suddenly says, 'The hell with them, the Japs and Koreans,' " King told The Hill.

"I was using it to make a point, and I would make it again," King continued. "If someone wants to say, 'The mick at the end of the bar,’ I wouldn't be offended by it."

King's paternal grandparents were Irish immigrants.

When told that the term is highly offensive to the Japanese and Asian-American community, King replied: “We’re getting too politically correct. Let's not get overly sensitive here.”

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SedanChair posted:

Sorry about your state. I was mostly talking about places like Fred Meyer and Safeway. But now that I think about it, Walmart's setup works pretty well too.
Me too :smith: Also, Kroger owns Fred Meyer and they own one of the local major chains (the grocery store I'm talking about) though they didn't change the name due to brand recognition or whatever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gyges posted:

Mississippi is just pissed that someone other than Alabama is trying to contend with them for the title of America's most regressive shithole.

Its time to resurrect Sherman and Grant. Their jobs are far from done.

They shall return as Sherman the White and Grant the White. At the turn of tide.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This whole thing is just dumb Posturing,

Mississippi didn't have any thing that prevented or addressed this in the first place. (I don't think?)

The governor gets to act tough on this thing by saying "STATES RIGHTS SCREW YOU OBAMA" while not functionally changing a goddamn thing. Obama's executive order was just like a yeaaaa, don't even think about putting laws on the book about this. Or we will take your money.

IllIllIll
Feb 17, 2012
Consider the bank teller situation. ATMs don't completely replace bank tellers, they just automate the simplest, most monotonous parts of their job. When people need to do more complicated banking they still talk to a human.

This is cool and good, assuming that the change happens somewhat gradually to allow for retraining and for displaced employees to find new work (assuming it exists, and isn't actually worse than before). We're pretty terrible doing this well, but it does work eventually.

Do we need less bank tellers now? Yes, but we still have some, and they now do more useful and interesting stuff every day. This is a net gain for effective use of human resources.

We SHOULD aspire to have everyone do useful, interesting stuff for their job, the kinds of things that only a human being can and should do (of course, the category is shrinking every year, and near-human level AI would require a massive rethinking of labor, economy, and humanity in general).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

These people aren't going to do poo poo and will kneel to Obama because without federal funds, they will either have to explain to their constituents why their kids are going to be years behind the rest of the country, or they won't be able to use federal funds to mask the damage they're doing to their states by funneling all state revenue into the pockets of business

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dexo posted:

This whole thing is just dumb Posturing,

Mississippi didn't have any thing that prevented or addressed this in the first place. (I don't think?)

The governor gets to act tough on this thing by saying "STATES RIGHTS SCREW YOU OBAMA" while not functionally changing a goddamn thing. Obama's executive order was just like a yeaaaa, don't even think about putting laws on the book about this. Or we will take your money.

Mississippi is planning on passing a bill like HB2 and already has an anti-trans law that was passed recently.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

These people aren't going to do poo poo and will kneel to Obama because without federal funds, they will either have to explain to their constituents why their kids are going to be years behind the rest of the country, or they won't be able to use federal funds to mask the damage they're doing to their states by funneling all state revenue into the pockets of business

You say that like various states' kids aren't ALREADY years behind the rest of the country. These people have never given a gently caress about funding schools.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I already said in this thread that poll has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. This issue is completely separate from whether people believe a State should legislate against where adults take a piss. This doesn't have anything to do with adults, it has to do with the Federal government issuing guidelines that affect public school systems under Title IX. Plus, I get the impression that a lot of people here don't have a good understanding of exactly what it is that the Obama administration actually did. That poll doesn't mean poo poo in regard to this issue.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epic High Five posted:

The Republican party has successfully convinced those constituents that all the negative fallout from the Republican Party's actions are the Democrats' fault, and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WampaLord posted:

Right, but you don't need to worry about paying a kiosk to sit idle when it's slow. If a kiosk does 75% of the job for 5% of the cost, you can have the bagboy or fry watcher or whatever other employees manage that other 25%. In a perfect world, the savings in not paying as much for labor would then be distributed somewhat as raises to compensate for the increased workload.

In the current "is actually quite poo poo" world, most franchise slavers are going to run a bunch of kiosks and still demand extra work from their employees for the same starvation wages they paid before having them work more.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

radical meme posted:

I already said in this thread that poll has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. This issue is completely separate from whether people believe a State should legislate against where adults take a piss. This doesn't have anything to do with adults, it has to do with the Federal government issuing guidelines that affect public school systems under Title IX. Plus, I get the impression that a lot of people here don't have a good understanding of exactly what it is that the Obama administration actually did. That poll doesn't mean poo poo in regard to this issue.
so your concern is that, while a majority of the public does not believe that bathroom panic bills should be passed, that they will suddenly take umbrage at the federal government taking action against the states for passing the bathroom panic bills that they do not approve of by a sizable majority

this seems like a worthwhile concern

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

You say that like various states' kids aren't ALREADY years behind the rest of the country. These people have never given a gently caress about funding schools.

Yeah but without billions in federal funds, the "freedom freedom small government rah rah" facade drops and they'll face a lot more scrutiny.

Nobody in their districts cares if a black school gets so underfunded that it all but shuts down, but if Federal money is pulled and it is revealed that even Hunter and Braylyn's schools will be seeing 75% cuts because all of the state money that was supposed to go to it was actually going to some nebulous hedge fund LLC, well that'll be a bit different for them

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Right, but you don't need to worry about paying a kiosk to sit idle when it's slow.

You clearly haven't heard the phrase "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean." Your average fast food worker is not spending lots of time sitting idle.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
[in a freshman red state democratic congressman during an election year voice] uh guys i know that this legislation has significant favorability among the general public, but, uh, have you considered the optics of federal action on the matter?

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

this will never not be true

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

One revealing cross tab from the bathroom bill poll: Women are 61% opposed, 34% in favor, while men are 52% opposed, 41% in favor.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

You clearly haven't heard the phrase "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean." Your average fast food worker is not spending lots of time sitting idle.

Yeah honestly I am not too concerned if the number of fast food jobs decrease. It's a lovely life where you are psychologically brutalized by idiot managers and we need to be thinking about why so many people (increasingly older with other job experience) have ended up doing it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah but without billions in federal funds, the "freedom freedom small government rah rah" facade drops and they'll face a lot more scrutiny.

Nobody in their districts cares if a black school gets so underfunded that it all but shuts down, but if Federal money is pulled and it is revealed that even Hunter and Braylyn's schools will be seeing 75% cuts because all of the state money that was supposed to go to it was actually going to some nebulous hedge fund LLC, well that'll be a bit different for them
Hunter and Braylyn already go to private schools so they still aren't going to give a gently caress.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

paranoid randroid posted:

so your concern is that, while a majority of the public does not believe that bathroom panic bills should be passed, that they will suddenly take umbrage at the federal government taking action against the states for passing the bathroom panic bills that they do not approve of by a sizable majority

this seems like a worthwhile concern

Don't be willfully ignorant. I have legitimate concerns as to how Federal guidelines interpreting Title IX on gender identity in public grade schools will be accepted by the public at large. Right now, only one Federal court has accepted the Obama administrations interpretation of Title IX that gender identity is in fact a civil rights issue and that one decision was a 2-1 split in the 4th Circuit. I don't know of any polling that shows how this will be treated by the general public. Local control of public schools is an issue that cuts across party lines; it's not a conservative, liberal issue, every parent wants to have as much control as possible over their local public schools. But you can go ahead and be an rear end about it if you want to.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 13, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

radical meme posted:

Don't be willfully ignorant. I have legitimate concerns as to how Federal guidelines interpreting Title IX on gender identity in public grade schools will be accepted by the public at large. Right now, only one Federal court has accepted the Obama administrations interpretation of Title IX that gender identity is in fact a civil rights issue and that one decision was a 2-1 split in the 4th Circuit. I don't know of any polling that shows how this will be treated by the general public. Local control of public schools is an issue that cuts across party lines; it's not a conservative, liberal issue, every parent wants to have as much control as possible over their local public schools. But you can go ahead and be an rear end about it if you want to.

so in the absence of polls or any knowledge at all on your part, youre just going ahead and making the assumption that

radical meme posted:

...the issue of where a person born male is going to be allowed to take a piss in public grade school is going to cause a vast number of Democrat voters to recoil in horror at any Federal government mandates on the issue.

which you have arrive at via nothing, and in favor of which you discard all evidence to the contrary. and im going to keep being an rear end because your reasoning smacks of that detestable "but the optiiiics" whine that crops up every time the idea of progressive action or governance is broached.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
pearl clutching shitheads like you are why trans rights took so long to get off the ground in the first place. it's a good thing the obama administration is more willing to take steps to secure the rights of trans people than you are

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

radical meme posted:

If you've got problems with trans people you won't like what the administration did. If you don't have problems with trans people you will like it or at worst not care. I promise you with absolute certainty this is how it will play out. The hordes of people that don't have any thoughts about trans people but are passionate, single-issue voters on judicial title ix decisions exist only in your head.

Also are there any other groups of people that shouldn't have their rights fought for lest we upset the bigot vote?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

radical meme posted:

you can go ahead and be an rear end about it if you want to.

He's not the one saying, "gently caress you, Trans people, you get your rights after the election if I think it's safe enough."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
https://twitter.com/Slate/status/731125539273052162

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

1337JiveTurkey posted:

One revealing cross tab from the bathroom bill poll: Women are 61% opposed, 34% in favor, while men are 52% opposed, 41% in favor.

Not surprising, when we as a society raise our boys to be aggressive, to place low value on empathy, and to be really gung ho about enforcing gender norms. There was a pretty decent article on Slate that linked the crazy-rear end baby gender announcement rituals to the bathroom bill paranoia, which I think is apt as they're all part of the same phenomena - an obsession among a large segment of the population with enforcing traditional gender norms even as society is in general slowly moving away from them. Lots of parents, even well-meaning ones that consider themselves pro gender equality, raise their sons and daughters in differential ways that contribute to girls being empathetic while boys turn into at best blithely ignorant and at worst bigoted shitheads. Empathy is the greatest protective factor against prejudice, and it has to stop being a thing parents only really value in their daughters.

• Locked thread