Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think it's after New Year's. It's probably still around September-October or so (Autumn tournament shortly after summer break, and a couple of weeks for the Stagiare and the festival).

That's still pretty close to the seniors graduating though, which happens in March, I think. They'd definitely be more concerned with what they're going to be doing after they graduate than school politics or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I really don't want a tie if only because Soma should totally lose here. It'd be kind of silly for him to be equal to the best cook in the school right now. I'm still thinking there's going to be something more to this though. I can't see Soma winning and him joining central feels unlikely. And if it goes to to a tie i'm expecting it to be because Hisako or Erina lied about what they felt, but Soma's not the type of guy to accept that if Tsukasa's dish was legitimately better. So he'd probably just consider it a loss anyway and follow Tsukasa's conditions.

I'm beginning to think they're writing themselves into a corner. But then again towards the end of the Kurokiba match I was almost tricked into thinking he was going to lose, but they made the correct narrative decision there, so i'm gonna stay confident about how this will end up.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It'd be kind of silly for him to be equal to the best cook in the school right now.

Food judging is a subjective thing there aren't any real food power levels.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Soma being forced to join Central seems like a good way to give the spotlight to some of the side-characters as they try to free him. Plus it would probably force naked apron guy to actually do some cooking.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Elfgames posted:

Food judging is a subjective thing there aren't any real food power levels.

I know, but generally when someone wins a food battle I think we're supposed to think they're the better cook or at least followed the theme better rather than the judges just really being in the mood for only one of the competitors dishes and not the other.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I know, but generally when someone wins a food battle I think we're supposed to think they're the better cook or at least followed the theme better rather than the judges just really being in the mood for only one of the competitors dishes and not the other.

yeah but at some point that has to break down eventually, battles are going to come down to things like novelty or who used the ingredient the best or who's dish was more visually appealing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Elfgames posted:

yeah but at some point that has to break down eventually, battles are going to come down to things like novelty or who used the ingredient the best or who's dish was more visually appealing.

Yeah. But i'd say that only happens when the two cooks are around equally skilled, and I'd be a bit disappointed if it turns out Soma is already really close to Tsukasa's level.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sure, but presumably there's something keeping the judges relatively honest. Probably most importantly, the judges aren't "high school girl with a really sensitive tongue and her secretary-sidekick."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They just have to say that Tsukasa's dish was objectively better but Souma's dish fit the theme more. The contest wasn't "make the tastiest loving thing imaginable", after all. Then they can just weasel out of the bet somehow.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I really don't want a tie if only because Soma should totally lose here. It'd be kind of silly for him to be equal to the best cook in the school right now. I'm still thinking there's going to be something more to this though. I can't see Soma winning and him joining central feels unlikely. And if it goes to to a tie i'm expecting it to be because Hisako or Erina lied about what they felt, but Soma's not the type of guy to accept that if Tsukasa's dish was legitimately better. So he'd probably just consider it a loss anyway and follow Tsukasa's conditions.

A tie just need them to disagree on what they thing- there is a reason there usually are 3 judges, not 2. Moreoever, only Erina is even close to a professional judge, and we have been told again and again that a lot of the times better cooks lose simply because of the theme/etc.

Like, it's a manga so you can expect 'power levels', but those aren't actually a good thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Since it isn't official, I'd expect Soma to lose, but the results to be a wash since it wasn't official and Tsukasa gets too flustered to try and ask Souma to keep up his end of the bargain due to Erina and Hisako being there and berating one or both of them for having the challenge in the first place and how dumb Souma was for accepting it or how mean Tsukasa was for making it.

And then there'll be a promise for a rematch either around New Years or just before Graduation as an official Shokugeki (with the latter including Souma leaving school to be Tsukasa's permanent Sous Chef)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arkeus posted:

A tie just need them to disagree on what they thing- there is a reason there usually are 3 judges, not 2. Moreoever, only Erina is even close to a professional judge, and we have been told again and again that a lot of the times better cooks lose simply because of the theme/etc.

Like, it's a manga so you can expect 'power levels', but those aren't actually a good thing.

I know. Soma's won half of his matches due to having a better understanding of the theme than his opponent. Like against Ikumi and Alice. So far though I don't think Venison really favours either Tsukasa or Soma and they look to be at a pretty even playing field. I get that a tie doesn't necessarily mean both are equal cooks but I still think it'd be a shame for Soma to immediately match up to the best chef in the school in their first encounter, even if it's just in results and not actual skill.

Xelkelvos posted:

Since it isn't official, I'd expect Soma to lose, but the results to be a wash since it wasn't official and Tsukasa gets too flustered to try and ask Souma to keep up his end of the bargain due to Erina and Hisako being there and berating one or both of them for having the challenge in the first place and how dumb Souma was for accepting it or how mean Tsukasa was for making it.

I'm half thinking it'll go this way too, but I kinda think Soma is the type of guy to still accept the conditions of the loss even if it wasn't official, especially if he also agrees that Tsukasa's dish was better. Like how in his match with Kuga he considers it a loss even though Kuga also admits defeat for it as well. The circumstances are pretty different though, so he might just leave it at that this time.

Edit: I'm very invested in the outcome of this silly cooking battle.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 4, 2016

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

soma is heads above pretty much everyone at that school when it comes to cooking and understanding the sheer variety of styles and methods he knows thanks to working under probably the best chef in that setting since he was a child

like yeah most of his opponents are superior to him in their specializations but the thing is soma never comes across as completely out of his depth regardless of the opponent, maybe with the exception of alice and her cutting edge science cooking

he also vastly outstripes everyone in actually working in and running a kitchen/business, like it wouldn't be a surprise if he's capable of taking down anyone at any given time imo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I dunno about that. It seems like Souma's basic knowledge is very lacking, but he makes up for it with his technical skills and creativity.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I think it's gonna be a tie, if only because Erina is still in the middle of her character arc of having newfound respect for unconventional cooking styles. Hisako is probably gonna pick Tsukasa's since his cooking demonstrates more skill but Erina is gonna pick Souma's, saying that while Tsukasa's techniques are flawless the taste is something she's familiar with and Souma's cooking makes her more excited than Tsukasa's. Trying out new flavors is more satisfying to her. Or something. Souma is saved, Tsukasa doesn't lose face as the final boss, the author gets another chance to make Erina all tsundere, everyone wins.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

I think it's gonna be a tie, if only because Erina is still in the middle of her character arc of having newfound respect for unconventional cooking styles. Hisako is probably gonna pick Tsukasa's since his cooking demonstrates more skill but Erina is gonna pick Souma's, saying that while Tsukasa's techniques are flawless the taste is something she's familiar with and Souma's cooking makes her more excited than Tsukasa's. Trying out new flavors is more satisfying to her. Or something. Souma is saved, Tsukasa doesn't lose face as the final boss, the author gets another chance to make Erina all tsundere, everyone wins.

Probably not a "tie" but just the fact that Souma on the fly was able to make a dish (using 'cheap' ingredients too) that was even a decent 2nd place to his would be enough for him to accept a loss gracefully and tell Souma next time he'll hold nothing back and destroy him.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Shokugeki 166 with glorious potato quality translation: http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/166/1

Called that one.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I love how animated Hisako is nowadays

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eej posted:

I love how animated Hisako is nowadays

She is cool, and I like her.

Anyway, i'm cool with that end. I think it's a bit of a cop-out to have Tsukasa win but throw away his demands, but I like that instead of it being because he wants to see Soma improve or because he gained respect for him it's basically because he's a wildcard. And he realises that Soma probably wouldn't even listen to him, and with Tsukasa's stress problems having Soma as an aide would probably be the death of him. It makes sense.

On the other hand though, I am very mad that they skipped Megumi and Ikumi's matches. Like, drat I know the guys they fought were mooks but you could have at least dedicated a chapter to them. At least to Megumi's. Her first shokugeki win should've gotten more focus. :(

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
http://readms.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/166/3405/1

Less potato scans are up
It really is disappointing that they skipped those two matches. Such a wasted opportunity (also a wasted opportunity for Nikumi and Megumi fanservice since that would invariably be a thing). They'll, hopefully, get a chance at the "Promotion Exam" which will likely be to see either A: Who gets to go to the next grade or B: Who takes the vacated seats from the Ten after the third years graduate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I feel like the point of the tsundere archetype is to justify the lead being clueless about the girl's affections, but IDK how anyone could miss how overtly romantic Nikumi's speech after she won was. She might as well have asked to eat his miso soup every day.

Xelkelvos posted:

http://readms.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/166/3405/1

Less potato scans are up
It really is disappointing that they skipped those two matches. Such a wasted opportunity (also a wasted opportunity for Nikumi and Megumi fanservice since that would invariably be a thing). They'll, hopefully, get a chance at the "Promotion Exam" which will likely be to see either A: Who gets to go to the next grade or B: Who takes the vacated seats from the Ten after the third years graduate.

I believe they said that the Ten are chosen by the staff (hence why Isshiki could be dismissed) and it wouldn't make any sense for Azami to hold a competition for it given his entire schtick is eliminating competitions.

Also, the author could have made Azami's motivation way less idiotic, but essentially the same if he said his goal was to take Central trained chefs and put them out into the public at which point bad restaurants could not compete and thus they would be shut down, as opposed to randomly wanting to abuse his power as Principal of a trade school to put hundreds of otherwise unrelated businesses under.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 13, 2016

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Really glad we had 5 chapters full of the boring rear end fight between protagonist and the ingredient fucker just to skip two shokugekis with actual fun characters in them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also that Yoda Judge is biased as gently caress.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm actually glad they were skipped. Seems like it would have just wasted a lot of time in an already slow arc. Presumably they'll be present in this new Promotion Exam thing anyway, which has more stakes and will involve more characters, like Alice. I thought people liked Alice?

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
If there are several chapter focused on Alice coming up I will be appeased.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm actually kind of hoping that they move away from duels in general and have more events where everyone's doing the same thing at once and then they get graded. Like the prelims for the Autumn tournament, or most of what they did at the training camp. It just keeps things more interesting when we can see what a bunch of people are doing at once, instead of wasting chapters bouncing back and forth to keep up the tension in a duel with artificial cliffhangers.

I mean, you can still have duels at climactic moments (it's the name of the series after all), but I just don't like how they tend to get paced in general.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Clarste posted:

I'm actually glad they were skipped. Seems like it would have just wasted a lot of time in an already slow arc. Presumably they'll be present in this new Promotion Exam thing anyway, which has more stakes and will involve more characters, like Alice. I thought people liked Alice?

Given what we've seen, I expect several more new characters to show up here. I'm glad that the Central Goon Squad turned out to be wankers that got wrecked by the good guys. I didn't really want more that that Edgy-Facial Tattoo guy.

I'm speculating this is the arc where at least 1 of the characters shown to be a "good guy" is going to make a heel turn and join Central. I'm guessing its going to be Akira because he made it clear he's way too into his sorta-adopted mom and her seminar (which was supposedly disbanded) but we didn't see him doing a fight to save it. I'm guessing he just cut a deal.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 13, 2016

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I don't mind that they didn't show the actual match but at least show us the dishes, dammit.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Nikumi won a thing? Kind of hosed up imho.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm glad ikumi got to not be a jobber for once.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

K. Flaps posted:

Really glad we had 5 chapters full of the boring rear end fight between protagonist and the ingredient fucker just to skip two shokugekis with actual fun characters in them.

Tsukasa is good. He told a Deer he was going to cook it and the Deer smiled happily and gratefully accepted it's demise. :colbert:

Clarste posted:

I'm actually kind of hoping that they move away from duels in general and have more events where everyone's doing the same thing at once and then they get graded. Like the prelims for the Autumn tournament, or most of what they did at the training camp. It just keeps things more interesting when we can see what a bunch of people are doing at once, instead of wasting chapters bouncing back and forth to keep up the tension in a duel with artificial cliffhangers.

I mean, you can still have duels at climactic moments (it's the name of the series after all), but I just don't like how they tend to get paced in general.

I hope so too. Training camp and the food stall arc were some of my favourite parts of the series. I'm cool with food warfare but I think switching things up a bit is more entertaining.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I Demand More Megumi

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I feel like the point of the tsundere archetype is to justify the lead being clueless about the girl's affections, but IDK how anyone could miss how overtly romantic Nikumi's speech after she won was. She might as well have asked to eat his miso soup every day.

Keep in mind that we are reading these comics as not-15-year-olds. When I was 15, I distinctly remember waffling for a month over whether my girlfriend, who was the one who had confessed to me and started the relationship, would want to hold hands. I actually don't find it that far-fetched that someone in their mid-teens would be oblivious to anything other than a girl explicitly saying "I want to go out with you*."

* One thing that allows them to keep up the whole "protagonist is oblivious about girl's interest" thing more easily in Japanese than in English is the fact that the phrase for "do you want to go out" can be construed in a non-romantic way.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Angry Grimace posted:

Also that Yoda Judge is biased as gently caress.

He's the best.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Ytlaya posted:

Keep in mind that we are reading these comics as not-15-year-olds. When I was 15, I distinctly remember waffling for a month over whether my girlfriend, who was the one who had confessed to me and started the relationship, would want to hold hands. I actually don't find it that far-fetched that someone in their mid-teens would be oblivious to anything other than a girl explicitly saying "I want to go out with you*."

* One thing that allows them to keep up the whole "protagonist is oblivious about girl's interest" thing more easily in Japanese than in English is the fact that the phrase for "do you want to go out" can be construed in a non-romantic way.

Also Souma doesn't give a gently caress about girls tbh.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I Demand More Megumi

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

jackofarcades posted:

Also Souma doesn't give a gently caress about girls tbh.

Is this one of those things that doesn't translate culturally? I think the word is "shokunin"? (Appropriate, given the manga title.)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i hope the bad guys die in a car crash on the way to the camp

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

kidcoelacanth posted:

I Demand More Megumi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He is the protagonist of a shounen manga that isn't a harem love comedy. Dude is effectively a eunuch.