Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tupperwarez posted:

Also, I think you can cast Axii on animals to make them follow you around? There's a step in a quest in Skellige that involves herding around a goat, and when I got tired of its poo poo AI I blasted it with Axii. Smooth sailing after that. I didn't think to try that with Princess.
Just don't use this trick in that one animal quest during the wedding in HoS because you'll miss out on an epic reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Palpek posted:

Just don't use this trick in that one animal quest during the wedding in HoS because you'll miss out on an epic reward.

I considered retrying to do it legit, then decided that using ~Witcher Tricks~ and getting burned for it was entirely in character for Vlodimir.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups
My reaction to the Blood and Wine features list

Excitement Intensifying!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

About what level was the first big DLC balanced around? I haven't played it yet and I'm assuming Blood & Wine will be balanced around a similar level.

I'm not sure if I should go to NG+ with my endgame playthrough for the DLC or just play it from endgame.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Megazver posted:

RPG of the millenium.

I think thats the quest where you can kill the bear early and Geralt is just like "Whew, glad I killed that bear awhile back" when you pass that point

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Hearts of Stone was ~34 to 37 roughly, I managed to hit 38 just after finishing it. Grandmaster stuff goes to 40 or so, it's either slightly higher starting level or enough content to get you there from that 34.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I AM BRAWW posted:

Also jesus gently caress. I started out with the witch path to find Ciri, did Keira (heh) and helped her out. Then decided Crogwhatever was too far away for now, so switched to the Baron. I don't know how close to ending the quest I am (we're about to mess wit the Botchling I guess) but this is amazing character development

yah thats the best drat quest line in the game. or any game really.

there was a moment when I was watching some serious cutscene in the bog with the crones and the music was goddamn perfect and i said 'holy poo poo' out loud at how impressively made this game is

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

About what level was the first big DLC balanced around? I haven't played it yet and I'm assuming Blood & Wine will be balanced around a similar level.

I'm not sure if I should go to NG+ with my endgame playthrough for the DLC or just play it from endgame.

If you go to NG+ the DLC will be balanced around NG+ engame levels

Don't do it

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't do it

What does this entail/mean exactly? I was told I should download whichever free DLC drops the level of the cool cave armors from 11 to 8, literally the only thing bad about the Witcher 3 is that Skyrim vibe where I go "it's too big there's too much I don't want to break anything so I won't play today"

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I preordered DLC today. I should feel gross, but I don't. Such is the magic of CD Projekt

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I bought the season pass with the base game because I knew.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
lmfao the Rock Troll is so good. Glad I had paint on me. I can't believe murdering him is even an option.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If you're not playing Geralt as a friend to all trolls you're playing the game wrong and should just stop.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Capn Beeb posted:

I preordered DLC today. I should feel gross, but I don't. Such is the magic of CD Projekt

I literally re-bought the game on Steam, base and season pass today. I got the game free with a GTX 970 last year but it was on GOG and I"m having trouble with their client so I just decided I'd rather have it on Steam anyway. I don't feel that bad about it though, CDPR deserves my money.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

If you're not playing Geralt as a friend to all trolls you're playing the game wrong and should just stop.

But, but... I need my Troll Decoction.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

You really do. It's one of the only like 4-5 ones that are useful.
I feel like that's an area that could use improvement.

Aside from the super overpowered Ekhidna/Arch Griffen combo, werewolf for running around, and the occasional relievers decoction they all seem pretty worthless.

Are there any combos I'm overlooking?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Lone Badger posted:

Only kill the wild and out of control trolls that are immediately hostile. :colbert:

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups

Deakul posted:

Only kill the wild and out of control trolls that are immediately hostile. :colbert:

Those never drop livers for me : (

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Deakul posted:

This. Killing any of the sentient trolls make you a terrible person.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Dirt posted:

You really do. It's one of the only like 4-5 ones that are useful.
I feel like that's an area that could use improvement.

Aside from the super overpowered Ekhidna/Arch Griffen combo, werewolf for running around, and the occasional relievers decoction they all seem pretty worthless.

Are there any combos I'm overlooking?

Chort dedoction - resist all stagger and most knockdowns - should be among the most powerful but as far as I know it still doesn't work for poo poo, unless they explained the concept poorly.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
At what level can I expect to find and kill trolls in Witcher 3? I loved the troll quests in the second game, some wild ones I actually want to kill instead of befriend sounds like a new challenge.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deakul posted:

I'd love to use free-range wild-caught organic troll liver, but it just isn't available in my area :(.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I really do like the Trolls. But I killed Bart while chasing Phillipa through the sewers. I felt bad about it. I probably could of just ran past him, huh?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Is it possible to entirely clear the land of any of the "big"-ger enemies? Looking at stuff like Wyverns/Archgriffins or whatever and not Ghouls/Drowners/

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Also is there any reason why the Armorer in Oxenfurt offers me like 450 for a relic sword while the little dwarf poo poo in the Baron's castle offers me like 100 or so?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

Also is there any reason why the Armorer in Oxenfurt offers me like 450 for a relic sword while the little dwarf poo poo in the Baron's castle offers me like 100 or so?

Different merchants offer different prices.

You get more for swords/armor from Blacksmiths/armorer dudes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Now reload this save and let the troll paint the emblem instead

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now reload this save and let the troll paint the emblem instead

fff I should've thought about that. too alte :'(

Dirt posted:

Different merchants offer different prices.

You get more for swords/armor from Blacksmiths/armorer dudes.

Yeah I knew about that, didnt' expect such HUGE differences thought. Gonna be more weary about selling relics to whoever now.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

hosed up, if true.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
i'm sitting here and it's awfully dramatic; having encountered the Crones, Gran, just having finished hearing the Baron's sob story about him and Anna, seeing how kind he was to Ciri, etc..

And then they bring in that little loving thing Uma? and he casually says he won him in a game of cards? lmao

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

extra stout posted:

What does this entail/mean exactly? I was told I should download whichever free DLC drops the level of the cool cave armors from 11 to 8, literally the only thing bad about the Witcher 3 is that Skyrim vibe where I go "it's too big there's too much I don't want to break anything so I won't play today"

The two paid for DLCs are\will be balanced for after main story level Geralt. New Game + is balanced for after that. If you're planning to play Blood & Wine on NG+, just be aware that you'll need to have essentially played through the game and Heart Of Stone twice to be ready for it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

i'm sitting here and it's awfully dramatic; having encountered the Crones, Gran, just having finished hearing the Baron's sob story about him and Anna, seeing how kind he was to Ciri, etc..

And then they bring in that little loving thing Uma? and he casually says he won him in a game of cards? lmao

Heh

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Will I have to start a new game when Blood and Wine comes out or will it automatically be added to my save? I'm staring at the new game screen and New Game indicates "Fresh Start" will give me access to any installed expansions. I'm just not sure if that means later expansions too (it probably does).

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Levantine posted:

Will I have to start a new game when Blood and Wine comes out or will it automatically be added to my save? I'm staring at the new game screen and New Game indicates "Fresh Start" will give me access to any installed expansions. I'm just not sure if that means later expansions too (it probably does).

If it's like heart of stone then you will just get a new quest when you get the dlc, or when you first get to velen after white orchard.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012

Levantine posted:

It's like Hearts of Stone that it'll be added to your current in game save as a quest. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case. Also you can start a new game and use the option to jump into the DLC right away with the appropriate levels and gear if you want to see what it's like.

Nicaden fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 14, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I hoped as much, thanks! It's been a little less than a year since I've played so I just decided to start over and relearn from scratch. Just didn't want to have to do it again in two weeks on the off chance it required a clean start.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't do it

So, you're saying the DLC is balanced around endgame levels? I don't remember what level my Geralt is. I think I just want to avoid overpowering the DLC and just steamrolling through on numbers alone.

But this also isn't the first time I've been warned not to go to NG+ in TW3 so maybe that oughta be a hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

you know, birdo, Redania-like

byootifoo

If you have the troll paint it himself, it's very nicely done and much crisper than Geralt's fingerpainting, but the troll isn't satisfied with it.