Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The Mechs in the middle could also move left and shoot at Haze from the front. I don't know what the penalty is for smoke, but even if it is heavy woods, that's still only a +3 mod, which is tied for the lowest among all these fast movers.

Is there an easy way to tell if Haze or the Peregrin jumped? That would make shots against them harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I believe smoke counts as light woods for the purposes of concealment, though not movement.

Jump movements are characterized by a curved line, rather than the straight lines that are used to depict walking/running.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
There's light smoke and heavy smoke. Light smoke is +1, heavy is +2. I think smoke rounds initially deploy heavy smoke which then dissipates to light smoke as time passes, but with the wind vortices it'll happen much more quickly.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

drat, I keep forgetting to take the +2 for the weather into my BTH calcs. Turns out I've got poo poo numbers on those Goshawks. In fact, I'm not seeing anything I can get better than a 12 on this turn. 10s if the Ostscout lases something, but even then that's not great shooting. I'm considering more smoke in the 1225-ish area and repositioning to 1633.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Tempest_56 posted:

drat, I keep forgetting to take the +2 for the weather into my BTH calcs. Turns out I've got poo poo numbers on those Goshawks. In fact, I'm not seeing anything I can get better than a 12 on this turn. 10s if the Ostscout lases something, but even then that's not great shooting. I'm considering more smoke in the 1225-ish area and repositioning to 1633.
You might want to reconsider putting smoke around 1225, since at least three of the heavy star Mechs can move through it and use the near edge as cover for the following round.

The Flashman also cannot get good shots this turn (11/12s), so I'm thinking of running into 1734 in hopes that I'll have better options next turn.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pooncha posted:

I believe smoke counts as light woods for the purposes of concealment, though not movement.

Jump movements are characterized by a curved line, rather than the straight lines that are used to depict walking/running.

Smoke affects movement too, I found that out the hard way.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Wafflecopper posted:

Smoke affects movement too, I found that out the hard way.

What? I can't find anything in TW about smoke impacting movement costs.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gwaihir posted:

What? I can't find anything in TW about smoke impacting movement costs.

On turn 8 of Breakout I moved into smoke and had my shots ruined because I didn't have enough MP left to turn to face the right way.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Your movement was reduced by your overheat penalty, you didn't have enough MP.

You weren't the only one to get hit by heat-related issues this turn; and two people also forgot that dead `Mechs count as rough terrain and increase the MP for the hex they died in.

A hex with light woods, smoke, and a dead `Mech would cost 4 mp to move through. Movement penalties stack.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Well, that's straight-up incorrect. Either PTN isn't aware of the rule, or decided to make smoke and woods interchangeable for some reason.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think he made Smoke into "functionally light woods" so it would be more consistent for people who hadn't played Battletech. It may have also been during a mission where we started a forest fire, so he was dealing with smoke, woods, and smoke covered light woods, and players having to tell them all apart.

[EDIT]In fact, I remember making the "Smoke == trees erryday" joke in response to it.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 13, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it's just a houserule, smoke = trees in every way, not just "every way except mobility."

Because it actually became an issue at some point and people were genuinely getting mixed up.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Bethany's moving to 1340 and lighting up the goshawk in 737. If the Ostscout can tag it, the Salamander and I can probably wreck it this turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah it's just a houserule, smoke = trees in every way, not just "every way except mobility."

Because it actually became an issue at some point and people were genuinely getting mixed up.

It also hasn't been in effect for a long time.

IIRC there was an actual woods hex in that smoke, but it's been a long time.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay, my orders are in - I'm going to be dishonourable and backstab the vixen with an LPL. Then I'm going to kick it for good measure. I'm hoping it falls over after being hit with 20+ damage, so I can kick it while it's down to be extra dishonourable.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

PTN doesn't calculate height range for mech versus mech combat, right?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think that only applies for physicals, right? :ohdear:

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Is Kamikaze into a battlemech actually a thing?

In real life, the Japanese did try to Kamikaze attacking Soviet tanks in Manchuria 1945. they all missed inflicting zero damage. Turns out crashing a plane into a moving tank is hard.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think height only matters for LOS diagrams. Range is still measured horizontally.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It also hasn't been in effect for a long time.

IIRC there was an actual woods hex in that smoke, but it's been a long time.

We're always going to remember the house rulings you want to forget.

Hell, you've had to clear up post-houserule firing arcs at least twice after going back to standard firing arcs.

EDIT:
Hit location arcs.

It was hit location arcs.

Runa fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 13, 2016

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

mcjomar posted:

Okay, my orders are in - I'm going to be dishonourable and backstab the vixen with an LPL. Then I'm going to kick it for good measure. I'm hoping it falls over after being hit with 20+ damage, so I can kick it while it's down to be extra dishonourable.

Are you walking in or jumping? Might be a tough jump shot but good odds if you're walking.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kial posted:

Are you walking in or jumping? Might be a tough jump shot but good odds if you're walking.

I decided walking was a good idea. I'm also going to be facing south-west so my back armour is only open to infantry who are too far away to hit me.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mightypeon posted:

Is Kamikaze into a battlemech actually a thing?

In real life, the Japanese did try to Kamikaze attacking Soviet tanks in Manchuria 1945. they all missed inflicting zero damage. Turns out crashing a plane into a moving tank is hard.

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned earlier in the thread that it was actually one of the best attacks you could use some aircraft for in Battletech. Also, a battlemech is significantly taller which makes it easier to hit than something low to the ground like a tank. You can come in nearly perpendicular to it, as opposed to a much higher angle of attack to try and hit a tank.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned earlier in the thread that it was actually one of the best attacks you could use some aircraft for in Battletech.

Against a warship. Which is a kilometer-long target. And even then dumping all his fuel into maximum acceleration from a dropship-assisted launch on an intercept course with the ship moving directly towards him the Vandal's still probably going to miss since at the end of it he's gotta travel over a thousand space hexes in a straight line per turn before he can attempt a turn (and doesn't have the fuel to actually make that turn in any case).

At that point all the Warship has to do is meander slightly to one side and it's perfectly safe.

Edit: And the Vandal's traveling at 300 kilometers-per-second while doing this, so it's theoretically powerful but practically impossible.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 13, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So are kamikaze strikes against mechs not an option? I don't play tabletop so I honestly don't know.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're not really, no. Aerospace hexes and ground hexes are completely divorced from one another. Even if you're using the Aerospace Units on Ground Mapsheets rules (which I don't because they're fiddly and multiplying everything by 8 sucks) the fighter is always considered separate from the units below it unless it's at altitude 0.

A fighter at altitude 0 has two options: land or crash, so while it can interact with other units while doing one of those two things the end result in this case will always be a crash since the pilot can't land and the players can just move out of the way.

And even then if there's any uneven ground between them and the end of the mapsheet they're safe. They'd have to be standing on the runway and begging for it to get hit by a landing fighter.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I think I'm going to spin around and run to 1137, shoot at the goshawk in 0737 with contingencies on the vixen. Not an amazing move, but I don't really see any stand out moves this turn.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

You could also run to the left and either kick the Wolverine or shoot Haze in the face. Either one should have better to-hits then against the Goshawk or Vixen.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ardlen posted:

You could also run to the left and either kick the Wolverine or shoot Haze in the face. Either one should have better to-hits then against the Goshawk or Vixen.

Hmmm... I could get to 0528 and hit the wolverine or possibly shoot at Haze, but it seems a little exposed. I won't have great move mods and I don't really have the armor to take much of a beating.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Hmmm... I could get to 0528 and hit the wolverine or possibly shoot at Haze, but it seems a little exposed. I won't have great move mods and I don't really have the armor to take much of a beating.
I think it depends on where Larry, Curly, and Moe go. If the three of them join you on the left, you are probably golden.

You can also jump instead to give yourself a better move mod.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Depending on the terrain and if it's close enough maybe Sauvage could eject in the eye of the hypercane?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've been quite confused by all the talk about smoke affecting movement. Can I make 0325?

I do not want my back to the smoke, not with a Goshawk in it.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Loxbourne posted:

I've been quite confused by all the talk about smoke affecting movement. Can I make 0325?

I do not want my back to the smoke, not with a Goshawk in it.

You are jumping, it wouldn't effect your movement either way.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 13, 2016

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Orders in. Never not move 10 hexes. Never not backshot Clanners.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
If the champion reverses to 2334, would it be able to fire at the vixen with a torso twist, or would I need to change direction?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Corponation posted:

If the champion reverses to 2334, would it be able to fire at the vixen with a torso twist, or would I need to change direction?
Yes, you would be able to shoot at the Vixen with a torso twist.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Alright just sent orders to jump to 0528 and shoot at the Wolverine, hopefully I don't get too beat up.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Pladdicus, can I get you to TAG the David this turn? I've been faffing about with numbers and I think I've got a solid salvo on it if you nail it.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Zaodai posted:

So are kamikaze strikes against mechs not an option? I don't play tabletop so I honestly don't know.

It's an option, but ramming attacks in an aerospace fighter are pretty hard. You, first off, need to pass a pretty hard roll just to psyche yourself up to do it in the first place, and then there's the question of doing it. Much better to just shoot with all your guns and probably crash anyways when you get random movement on the heat scale.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

Pladdicus, can I get you to TAG the David this turn? I've been faffing about with numbers and I think I've got a solid salvo on it if you nail it.

Roger, unless someone has counter orders I'll do this.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014

Pladdicus posted:

Roger, unless someone has counter orders I'll do this.

Can we focus on the Goshawk in 737 instead? Its damage potential is way higher and it is much more durable.

EDIT: You and tempest I mean, what ever you wind up tagging is definitely what he should be shooting

LegendairyBovine fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Finally caught up to the thread after it dropped off my radar somehow for it looks like 18 months?

Signing up to pilot stompy robots! I have PMs.

• Locked thread