Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
If I get monstrous as a demonspawn am I better off going full unarmed rather than using a weapon? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

FulsomFrank posted:

If I get monstrous as a demonspawn am I better off going full unarmed rather than using a weapon? Asking for a friend.

A weapon might be more practical depending on the character you have going, but unarmed will be a lot more fun. Go Chei and statue form for the best possible time.

Darox posted:

Icicle is pretty strong but it has horrid mana efficiency. Shock costs one mana and does significantly more than 1/4 the damage, even if you're hitting a single target. Shock rips apart enemies for a long time, I kill spiny frogs with it and my AE runs usually have 1800-2000 casts of it before I stop using it. Shock is good. It's the best level 1 spell imo, and you can do a lot worse for Vehumet gifts.

I think we're playing different games. I can never make shock do worthwhile damage to anything because it misses far too often. I give up trying to kill giant frogs with shock, let alone spiny frogs, against which even static discharge is just barely enough. Icicle, on the other hand, is one of the most efficient spells in my opinion. Of course, I spend a lot of time pulling apart groups on my caster builds, so I don't value AoE too much until I've got a bolt spell (other than lightning bolt) castable.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

FulsomFrank posted:

It depends how quickly you get Claws 3 imo.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

Yes, but if your weapon is better than unarmed now then keep using it until that isn't the case. UC at 12 ( a reasonable number by early-mid lair) will give you a base damage of 17-21 depending on the level of your claws. UC is pretty nuts really.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Sticky Flame is really strong, I used it on my DEFE even later in the game even though it obviously falls off in power. If you're still in Lair though it's crazy good.

Anyway, I played Pakellas for the first time on my KoMo and he gave me iron rod which I immediately super charged. Then I acquired staff 3 times and got 3 more iron rods... I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems like it loses power by vaults especially against big scary enemies like golden dragons. For some reason even with 4 of them I could barely put a dent in Jory who almost killed me. And what's the word on Pakellas's buff rod ability? I never used it because it costs piety and seems like a negligible advantage.

Iron Rod is a whole bunch of really weak shots so it's bad against high AC monsters like upper tier dragons but it's great against high EV monsters for the same reason. (Lots of rolls to hit, all in 1 turn.)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
This tournament is really hammering in how incredibly slow I am with this game. I'm at 9 hours on this GrEE and I'm not planning for anything but just a bog standard win (because that alone would be my second ever and first on a caster). Meanwhile I see wins with just a couple hours popping off all over the place :shittypop:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

Anyway, I played Pakellas for the first time on my KoMo and he gave me iron rod which I immediately super charged. Then I acquired staff 3 times and got 3 more iron rods... I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems like it loses power by vaults especially against big scary enemies like golden dragons. For some reason even with 4 of them I could barely put a dent in Jory who almost killed me.

As bitcoin bastard pointed out. Iron rod is a shotgun and loses a lot of strength against higher AC targets. To get even more life out of it, combine it with a wand of acid after a successful corrosion.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks! I went with kiku based off this and my new SpEn is the furthest I've ever made it in this game. I have the full main dungeon and most of Lair cleared. Now if only I wasn't stuck with a +4 dagger of flame. I found an amazing radart rapier with +4dex, +stealth and I think some resists or something on it but it's antimagic :( I can't use kiku's pain brand on a radart can I? I dropped it somewhere in lair but if that's a possibility I'll go scour everything for it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nope, randarts are unchangeable. Either scroll of acquirement and hope for a quickblade or scoop up a rapier (FAKE EDIT: looks like he's suggesting a demon whip, which will show up later) and enchant them up. Other possibility is hit up Elven Halls for short blades en masse but the danger is definitely greater.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I was really mad about this sort of thing on my last lugonu worshipper. Acquirement gave me a randart quickblade and a randart rapier, neither of which I could brand.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used acquirement to get a weapon and got a +8 pain quick blade with +4str +4dex... and *confuse :(

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Shakill OReal posted:

Thanks! I went with kiku based off this and my new SpEn is the furthest I've ever made it in this game. I have the full main dungeon and most of Lair cleared. Now if only I wasn't stuck with a +4 dagger of flame. I found an amazing radart rapier with +4dex, +stealth and I think some resists or something on it but it's antimagic :( I can't use kiku's pain brand on a radart can I? I dropped it somewhere in lair but if that's a possibility I'll go scour everything for it.

The hall of blades vault usually has a branded quickblade, and if it doesn't or you just don't want to risk it (I wouldn't blame you if you don't, blades can get hairy for people not in heavy armor) they usually drop off elf blademasters or enemy spriggans in depths.

Just as an aside if you want to find an item you know is somewhere in the game you can hit Ctrl f and type in the item and hit the letter it brings up for it and you will walk right to it. Even if you aren't able to brand it a rapier is better than a dagger for things you can't stab and need to fight.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Shakill OReal posted:

I used acquirement to get a weapon and got a +8 pain quick blade with +4str +4dex... and *confuse :(

Just wear an amulet of clarity!

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Just wear an amulet of clarity!

Don't troll.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I acquired again and now I have a non-artefact +9 quick blade of pain. Good enough.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Shakill OReal posted:

No need to scour anywhere for anything, ever. ctrl-F brings up a search box where you can type whatever you want!

for example:

wand finds all wands ever
negat finds everything with rN
blade finds all shortblades and all longblades

there are some special things, too - if you want to find all magic weapons, you can do

weapon && ego

you can also search for altars, or enemies you've excluded, or corpses (useful when you get hungry)...

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Superterranean posted:

No need to scour anywhere for anything, ever. ctrl-F brings up a search box where you can type whatever you want!

for example:

wand finds all wands ever
negat finds everything with rN
blade finds all shortblades and all longblades

there are some special things, too - if you want to find all magic weapons, you can do

weapon && ego

you can also search for altars, or enemies you've excluded, or corpses (useful when you get hungry)...

you can search for a spell and it'll bring up any book you've seen with the spell in it, ctrl+f is incredibly powerful

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Gave this dude(one of the first orkz I recruited) a spear of venom early on, in the hopes that beogh would turn it into a better weapon later(which I know can happen).
Raised him all the way up to warlord and it's still just a spear.

UberJew posted:

This tournament is really hammering in how incredibly slow I am with this game. I'm at 9 hours on this GrEE and I'm not planning for anything but just a bog standard win (because that alone would be my second ever and first on a caster). Meanwhile I see wins with just a couple hours popping off all over the place :shittypop:
How far along is that? I get to the point where I want to end the run probably at like 2-3 hours, and I think all my wins this tourny have been under 4... I don't really know how a game takes that long.

Like maybe I'm just hasty but my first 15 rune was under 9 hours. I don't really know what I would be doing that would make a normal run take that long

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 13, 2016

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
It's cool to get two potions of experience and hit spellcasting 10 and poison magic 16 at XL 7.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why do orcs wander so far away when you tell them "wait here" gently caress

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Now that the idea dawned on me: Zombie death scarabs can own greater mummies pretty hard too.

Also I just looked at greater mummy in that search database and for the first time I realized that it's not a mummy with a great fat head, but a mummy wearing a red helmet.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 14, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

IronicDongz posted:

How far along is that? I get to the point where I want to end the run probably at like 2-3 hours, and I think all my wins this tourny have been under 4... I don't really know how a game takes that long.

Like maybe I'm just hasty but my first 15 rune was under 9 hours. I don't really know what I would be doing that would make a normal run take that long

I've got two runes and I'm at the point where I'm extracting as much XP as possible from everywhere that seems easy to me before making a go at Vaults 5 for the third. I have a suspicion that I'm overpowered somewhat since I cleared the vestibule of hell and elf without much difficulty, but being as this is my first time getting a caster even to Lair I just can't ever be sure and keep looking stuff up constantly and having to take the time to think about encounters. Before I had Shatter castable my only AOE was mephitic cloud so encounters involved a lot of dancing around and isolating guys for iron shots/crystal spears/magma bolts/letting my summon cast spells.

I think Vaults 1-4 took over hour by itself, just because of how dense and relatively threatening everything is.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Is a +8 vampiric executioner's axe worth the investment on a FoVM? Just have 5 in M&F right now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm outside the pyramid looking room for the rune from Snake right now and these Greater Nagas are giving my SpEn a whole lot of trouble, everything else here has been easy to put to sleep but these guys have 100% resistance to both ensorcelled hibernation and confuse as well as all of my wands and other spells.

As a SpEn, what are my options for burning down enemies who are immune to my magic? There's the obvious rage when available, might/agility potions, Kiku Torment in the rare situations where it seems like a good idea, and scrolls of summoning but I think that covers all the options I'm aware of. Sometimes ice beasts and risen undead don't cut it. I don't have any offensive spells except for Throw Icicle (which I'm not having much success with at all, it barely scratches anything) and even with all of my buffs I feel a little sketchy about going toe to toe with Greater Naga. I'm winning against them though so I'm more concerned about other similar enemies that I'm sure are ahead of me (this is the furthest I've ever been).

e: I just realized amulet of rage Berserk doesn't take away a billion hunger like Trog Berserk does so I'll be making more use of that.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
i've been losing a lot and am currently drunk so here's another photoshop thing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Don't you have a +9 quickblade of pain? As long as you have ok necro investment you should be able to melee them to death, especially with berserk if need be, and especially with ice beasts assisting to slow them. If not, get better necro/more defenses if possible/better summons

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just realized that I have 0 Necromancy :downs: I trained it up to 5 and now they're cake.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 14, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

I don't know about other people, but half the time I'm playing Crawl I'm also doing other things (how is time even calculated in Crawl?). And I rarely play tabby melee-focused dudes because they aren't as interesting. I ascended my first pure melee character this tournament and it was about 4 hours of nonstop tabbing. I could see getting that time way down on a build like that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

And now I'm dead because somehow a Naga Sharpshooter got behind me while a Greater Naga was constricting me. Oh well, that was a fun run and I learned a lot, such as I can't blink while I'm constricted.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Shakill OReal posted:

I just realized that I have 0 Necromancy :downs: I trained it up to 5 and now they're cake.
I'd raise it to like 10 at least. How were you getting undead before?

e: :rip:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Shakill OReal posted:

I'm outside the pyramid looking room for the rune from Snake right now and these Greater Nagas are giving my SpEn a whole lot of trouble, everything else here has been easy to put to sleep but these guys have 100% resistance to both ensorcelled hibernation and confuse as well as all of my wands and other spells.

As a SpEn, what are my options for burning down enemies who are immune to my magic? There's the obvious rage when available, might/agility potions, Kiku Torment in the rare situations where it seems like a good idea, and scrolls of summoning but I think that covers all the options I'm aware of. Sometimes ice beasts and risen undead don't cut it. I don't have any offensive spells except for Throw Icicle (which I'm not having much success with at all, it barely scratches anything) and even with all of my buffs I feel a little sketchy about going toe to toe with Greater Naga. I'm winning against them though so I'm more concerned about other similar enemies that I'm sure are ahead of me (this is the furthest I've ever been).

e: I just realized amulet of rage Berserk doesn't take away a billion hunger like Trog Berserk does so I'll be making more use of that.

The quickblade of pain should make short work of them if you can survive in melee. Ablative zombie armor will help. Eventually, you'll need a solution for things that the quickblade won't work against. Higher tier necromancies are a strong possibility, especially look out for simulacrum since you have some ice investment. The right simulacra can deal disgustingly high damage. Icicles would be starting to show their age by this point even at max power on a blaster mage, it's not surprising you're having trouble dealing damage with them.

Edit: Sorry for the dated advice, I'm posting on my phone. Next time get more necromancy if you're using kiku!

foot posted:

Is a +8 vampiric executioner's axe worth the investment on a FoVM? Just have 5 in M&F right now.

I'd go for it, 5 skill is a tiny investment and how often do you get that kind of weapon? Unless you're an Ash character, it will make it hard to do much more casting, though.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 14, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shakill OReal posted:

And now I'm dead because somehow a Naga Sharpshooter got behind me while a Greater Naga was constricting me. Oh well, that was a fun run and I learned a lot, such as I can't blink while I'm constricted.

Blinks count as two chances to escape a constrict, so they are still good to use. They just don't work automatically.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was just using Raise Skeleton for pretty much the same purposes I used Summon Butterflies for. I never bothered to learn zombies or anything like that.

Arivia posted:

Blinks count as two chances to escape a constrict, so they are still good to use. They just don't work automatically.

Ah, okay. That was my first time not just using a Teleport scroll since as a Spriggan I never had other uses for them and had a bunch stocked up. I was too low for the timer this time.

e: Overall I was really bad about remembering to cast any spells that weren't hibernation/confuse/ozocubu's

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 14, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Man, I'm just thinking back to my best character - a Minotaur warrior of Okawaru - and his experience. I got really lucky and conceited after rocking the whole game through Crypt and decided to give Tomb a try despite the warnings otherwise.

I died almost instantly. Be wary of the Tomb: it will cut down the proud and haughty.

You will suffer.

You will die.

You've been warned.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

UberJew posted:

I've got two runes and I'm at the point where I'm extracting as much XP as possible from everywhere that seems easy to me before making a go at Vaults 5 for the third. I have a suspicion that I'm overpowered somewhat since I cleared the vestibule of hell and elf without much difficulty, but being as this is my first time getting a caster even to Lair I just can't ever be sure and keep looking stuff up constantly and having to take the time to think about encounters. Before I had Shatter castable my only AOE was mephitic cloud so encounters involved a lot of dancing around and isolating guys for iron shots/crystal spears/magma bolts/letting my summon cast spells.

I think Vaults 1-4 took over hour by itself, just because of how dense and relatively threatening everything is.

I said this so of course I ran into Mennas on Depths 5 and barely escaped by using up what was left of my wand of haste and a teleport, because he reflects orb of destruction/lcs and just outheals Shatter b/c he takes 1/3rd damage from flying and can heal every turn

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
All my orc warlords but 1 just died because a green draconian breathed poison on them, and despite me being back a ways and spending a turn to call out "follow", they did not walk backwards out of the gas, and then I used the "retreat" command on a tile out of the gas, and they still did not walk backwards out of the gas.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
holy poo poo it literally just happened again, with the one remaining guy. what the gently caress am I supposed to do to get orcs to not keep standing next to something that will kill them because the shout commands clearly don't work, and I can't always swap places with them

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Telling them to retreat to a tile at the edge of your vision is probably the better idea.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Shouldn't they try to reach whatever tile you call?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

No idea!
for exactly how it works.

• Locked thread