Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Sociopastry posted:

On topic: loving games like bejeweled or sailor moon drops or candy crush that bullshit you into loving losing so they can steal your money. I will never spend a single dime on you eat a dick.

I agree, but then this made me reflect on my own history with app games. Years ago, I played all kinds of games like that, but always resisted the temptation to pay for anything. Once it got obvious I couldn't really get anywhere without dropping some cash, I'd quit. After awhile, it finally dawned on me these games are all the loving same. Grind mindlessly to get some lame reward and hopelessly fall prey to the dumb lizard part of your brain. So I just don't play at all anymore. If there hadn't been the pay-hurdle, I may not have realized this, so maybe I'm a little thankful for that bullshit which helped me kick the habit of constantly filling up my downtime with reward stimulus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Other drive through stuff - in those stupid ones with two ordering lanes but one pickup lane, when people fail to understand the simplicity of taking turns. If someone is still ordering of course go ahead, but if you just got done and you see the other lane is already waiting to get in, you let them in, not try and floor it and edge ahead and lay on your horn when you can't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cash crab posted:

Does anyone's hands get so dry that they get little ripped up pieces of skin around their nails? Which never heal? And are made worse by each successive handwash? The worst.

Yep. Especially if I use liquid soap. I have normal soap at home, but if I'm staying somewhere where they only have liquid then I know my hands are going to suffer. And I always have little bits of damage around at least a few nails.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think this is a repeat, but certain things in the bog-standard Google Maps app have seriously irked me recently.

Jesus Christ, if you're telling me to turn left and then semi-soon-after a right, I'd like to know these things early, goddammit. If I don't really know where I am (which is why I'm using my phone as a GPS), it's practically vital that I know that next step when I'm turning. The weirdest thing about this is that it does this... occasionally. Otherwise, it's "turn left here... oh and in 50 feet turn right, you are in the right lane, right?"

E: this might just be a GPS issue in the city on an older phone, but it's also really annoying when I can't get solid which-direction-am-I-facing accuracy. I couldn't remember the direction of my car tonight in a place I wasn't super familiar with, and I walked the wrong direction for 5min because my phone was pointing me in the wrong direction.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:40 on May 13, 2016

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Yea one of my friends gets analysis paralysis when we play D&D, despite having a big group when it gets to his turnhe still has to take a long time to think over his move. He also has a very bad habit of trying to be the "fixer" in the group even when another character would be better suited to solve the problem. It's gotten to the point where we might implement an egg timer or somesuch to shorten turns.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I hate when there's a perfect opportunity for an in-joke that the people I'm currently talking with wouldn't get. It feels like such a waste of potential humour but explaining the joke to my current conversation partners or the context to others would ruin it and be awkward to bring up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DarkCrawler posted:

:stare: I might legit stop hanging out with anyone over the age of six who cries over a boardgame, or really any game. Like unless it's some massive boardgame tournament with millions in prizes or something

Yeah, seriously. As someone who has a gaming group of adults who don't cry about stupid game poo poo it is basically unfathomable to me that anyone who had an emotional breakdown over a card draw would get invited back again.

E: and ADD doesn't account for that either - that's either deep seated emotional issues or just plain vanilla immaturity.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

"Hi im a jackass and I heard you have (mental illness)?! Have you tried just thinking about happy things and good memories? That would totally prevent you from attempting suicide or hurting yourself or keep you from being miserable because of symptoms from your mental illness!!!!! My entire understanding of all mental health conditions is based off that song 'my favorite things' from the movie 'the sound of music'."

gently caress all these people, forever, amen.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
A couple work related peeves:

- Wasting time on training for things we've been using for months. Today we had training on an internal IM tool that we've been literally using for over 2 months. Somehow this required almost an hour of running through installing the IM client, sending messages, using screen sharing, and private messaging. And it's not some half-baked in house developed IM tool, it's one the company purchased and licensed with an outside vendor back in February. Apparently nobody has 10 minutes to check the vendor website, look through the KB and figure it out...so either there are some extremely stupid people, or the guy running the training is trying to make himself look useful by wasting time on bullshit. :shrug:

- Treating a volunteer event as if it's mandatory - case in point, my work wants to do a volunteer event in a couple months and sent out an email requiring people to sign up and register for the event. Had a whole mandatory staff meeting about it, told us about the schedule, all that stuff. Problem was, they worded it like we were ALL required to go, then complained because a few people had vacation time scheduled that conflicted with the volunteer event and some others didn't respond. Management of course puts pressure on everyone else, and someone finally asks the magic question: "So is this actually voluntary, or is it required? It can't be both." Management begrudgingly backs off ans says they'd "like to get <x> number of people to volunteer but you can opt out if you'd like". Funny that no opt-out message was ever included in the original request and the meetings about the volunteer work were treated like they were required...which pulled a few people (me included) away from working on client issues to sit in a conference room and listen to stupid bullshit when we're in the middle of fixing problems. Not to mention a few people got poo poo on the last couple company events we had, for those very reasons - they had PTO lined up or other plans, and when they came back to the office, they got the played-out "oh <x> didn't go to the event, they must not like us/be a team player" treatment. Good job assholes, I'm sure being treated like garbage, jokingly or not, really makes people want to come to work. :downsbravo:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

- Wasting time on training for things we've been using for months. Today we had training on an internal IM tool that we've been literally using for over 2 months. Somehow this required almost an hour of running through installing the IM client, sending messages, using screen sharing, and private messaging. And it's not some half-baked in house developed IM tool, it's one the company purchased and licensed with an outside vendor back in February. Apparently nobody has 10 minutes to check the vendor website, look through the KB and figure it out...so either there are some extremely stupid people, or the guy running the training is trying to make himself look useful by wasting time on bullshit. :shrug:

I hate this so much. I don't run into it often, but just the other day some admin person scheduled someone to come in to give us all a mandatory attendance tutorial on Python. The guy was given the impression it was going to be just a basic intro to it, but when he asked who has used python before literally everyone raised their hand. We all use it frequently and he realized everything he had prepared wasn't of any use to us. What followed was just him awkwardly fumbling through random python functions that are pretty much of no use to anyone just to fill time.

Basically any time someone in administration schedules something mandatory, you know going in it's going to be a waste of time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Restaurants with small glasses/cups. I don't really blame them specifically, I just drink a lot more water when I eat than most people, but drat do I hate asking for refills.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Wedemeyer posted:

"Hi im a jackass and I heard you have (mental illness)?! Have you tried just thinking about happy things and good memories? That would totally prevent you from attempting suicide or hurting yourself or keep you from being miserable because of symptoms from your mental illness!!!!! My entire understanding of all mental health conditions is based off that song 'my favorite things' from the movie 'the sound of music'."

"Well you know, sometimes I don't feel like doing a thing too, but...."
"But i have a friend who has exactly the same thing, and he managed to......"
"When my cat/friend/mom died, i felt the same way, but...."

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

bobjr posted:

This might have come up in the thread before but anyone who says excuse you instead of excuse me or nothing at all. It's like you want people to know you're a dick.

I'm... pretty sure that's the point? They are douchebags attempting to assert social dominance.

Obviously, I am not suggesting you should like or withstand it. But there is a method to their madness.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The phrase "I did Nazi that coming." It is so far beyond played-out I can't even put it into words.

Actually, any use of Hitler or Nazi imagery as a comedic device. "Everyone else thinks this is offensive, but look at us being super cutting-edge hilarious by subverting it!" It's not funny, and that's not because it's offensive - it's because it's incredibly lazy.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

RabbitWizard posted:

"Well you know, sometimes I don't feel like doing a thing too, but...."
"But i have a friend who has exactly the same thing, and he managed to......"
"When my cat/friend/mom died, i felt the same way, but...."

My pet peeve is that all of these (and more) are so pervasive, I can never think of anything to say that would actually help someone going through that sort of thing.

And I have depression/anxiety. :smith: I don't even know what I'd want to hear.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My pet peeve is mistaking this for the FWP thread

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 04:33 on May 14, 2016

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

walrusman posted:

Actually, any use of Hitler or Nazi imagery as a comedic device. "Everyone else thinks this is offensive, but look at us being super cutting-edge hilarious by subverting it!" It's not funny, and that's not because it's offensive - it's because it's incredibly lazy.

Fuckers who think that edgy internet humor has ANY place in real life interactions, especially around strangers and DOUBLE ESPECIALLY in the workplace. I have a lot of 20-year-old edgy shitlord coworkers who like to spout memes and do poo poo like shouting "HEIL!" and doing the nazi salute... in the middle of a crowded store. While in uniform. I'm amazed none of them have been fired.

On a semi-related note (as they're usually the same people) I loving hate when dudes find out that I have some nerdy interests and assume that this means I am into everything remotely nerdy (shouting "BAZINGA" at me, Dr. Who references, etc) and/or that I am definitely going to gently caress them. I have so many interests that I never talk to anyone about because I don't want these guys to suddenly decide I'm their ~waifu~ or whatever.

My friends and I used to go to the board game night at a local pub every week, but we were usually the only women in the whole place and constantly had random guys trying to edge their way into our games... it was fine when they turned out to be nice folks who were genuinely interested in what we were playing (after all that's the point of playing there) but a few times they ended up being loving creeps. It really killed our motivation to go.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Okay, so I have a Great Dane. She's ten years old. I am 99.9% sure she isn't immortal. I don't need random people coming up to pet her and going "Aww, they don't live that long, do they?"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Writer Cath posted:

Okay, so I have a Great Dane. She's ten years old. I am 99.9% sure she isn't immortal. I don't need random people coming up to pet her and going "Aww, they don't live that long, do they?"

What the flying gently caress. I don't show my tortoises to people and brag they will still be banging while your kids are rotting in the ground.

Maybe I should start.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I got my first sunburn of the year today.

I can't wait to go to work tomorrow and have it pointed out to me by everyone who sees me. No, I wasn't aware my skin is burnt and painful, thanks for telling me!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I can't wait to go to work tomorrow and have it pointed out to me by everyone who sees me. No, I wasn't aware my skin is burnt and painful, thanks for telling me!

Augh gently caress this. Not just in regard to sunburn, any change in appearance is met with "did you know...". Its even more frustrating when it's something that would obviously have to be the result of a concious choice like hair colour.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Writer Cath posted:

:( I'm sorry. I used to work at a pet store, and this couple that ran a rescue would come in with these very old Danes who would gently rest their chins on the counter and then drool relentlessly until I fed them. It was annoying but also :3: Anyway, people are dicks and Great Danes are not, is the lesson here.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
My current pet peeve is my housemates inability to finish a game, something like that shouldn't bother another person but every few days he has been coming to me and in a not so subtle way bringing up the fact he "has no computer games to play" and I should totally buy this game and play it with him. He also has a weird aversion to old games, he has probably spent 50 hours on pillars of eternity not finished it because he keeps making new characters and getting bored, then he wanted to play balders gate because it's "so similar" he got maybe 10 hours into it and said it was boring even though I know for certain he just can't admit to himself he cares about a games graphics. I really wish his inability to finish a game would stop making him pester me about buying games i'm not interested in. It's even worse because i'm still playing dark souls 3 and enjoying it, so there is no chance of me playing anything else anytime soon anyway.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

At least you don't have friends who make it a game the rest of the day to see who can sneak up on you and slap it the most. I wish all they did was point it out to me.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Writer Cath posted:

"AND NEITHER WILL YOU IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP!"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nettles Coterie posted:

I loving hate when dudes find out that I have some nerdy interests and assume that this means...that I am definitely going to gently caress them

I love how nerds have no self-confidence whatsoever when it comes to the opposite sex until they see [what they interpret as] a nerd flag. Then, they're all "tonight I will sex this girl"

"Dude, quit whining about how she'd never go for you and just go talk to her."

"a bloo bloo uguu I can't I'm a hideous fat neckbeard with poor hygiene and I'm so socially inept that my interactions with people are physically painful for onlookers to witness"

*girl takes off coat, revealing a Pokemon t-shirt*

"Good thing mom is a heavy sleeper because we're gonna tear up my basement bedroom tonight"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Wedemeyer posted:

This, and people who think that any and all problems can be solved by traveling. "Don't even worry about the money, just travel when you're young! It gives you perspective!" I sure hope KLM takes payments in "sense of adventure".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

YeahTubaMike posted:

This, and people who think that any and all problems can be solved by traveling. "Don't even worry about the money, just travel when you're young! It gives you perspective!" I sure hope KLM takes payments in "sense of adventure".

I would even say the money aspect isn't the worst bit, it's just this assumption a lot of people have that everyone wants to travel. Even if I had the money, I can think of a lot of things I'd rather spend it on.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Murphy Brownback posted:

I hate this so much. I don't run into it often, but just the other day some admin person scheduled someone to come in to give us all a mandatory attendance tutorial on Python. The guy was given the impression it was going to be just a basic intro to it, but when he asked who has used python before literally everyone raised their hand. We all use it frequently and he realized everything he had prepared wasn't of any use to us. What followed was just him awkwardly fumbling through random python functions that are pretty much of no use to anyone just to fill time.

Basically any time someone in administration schedules something mandatory, you know going in it's going to be a waste of time.

I've had a similar issue being unemployed funnily enough. The various people assigned to me often try to arrange courses that serve absolutely no purpose often in a pathetic attempt to seem useful. Sometimes they ignore all objections and put me on them anyway simply because the amount of objections I raise confuse them into thinking I'm merely a naysayer. I've been in workshops I could have taught myself with more content and in less time and I would have had the sense to provide supplementary materials. The courses that ARE useful take several times longer to teach than they should e.g. a customer service course which took 4 days to convey what could have been written in a leaflet.

And, above all this is the government mandated bullshit which is a repetitive cycle of time wasting bullshit that is not only almost invariably useless but automatically overrides anything useful you might be doing yourself.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Murphy Brownback posted:

The worst part? We've got other, newer tools that just about everyone needs training on, yet we can't get the people in charge of administering the apps to give us a proper overview of how they work. Oh sure, we have network monitoring tools...but every time training is scheduled, it gets cancelled last-minute because of low attendance. They don't realize that maybe, just maybe they should send out a message ahead of time to everyone to see what they're already doing so we can all collaborate on a good time. The people setting up the training then complain about the low turnout and when we all explain our situations, it's met with a lazy "eh, we'll schedule it later when it's not so busy". Good loving luck with that, it's almost constantly busy around here unless it's a major holiday because we're constantly getting work dumped in our laps. Poor/inept management sucks when actually trying to learn anything, schedule anything or even get daily work done, then they bitch at the people doing the work instead of taking responsibility for being loving terrible, careless idiots with no sense of forethought.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I'm the official "team trainer" for my department at work, which is a bullshit title that came with a meager raise. What this means is that once a month I'm supposed to go to a meeting (that my managers frequently forget about and neglect to schedule me for) and then I have a week to sit down, individually, with all 35 people in the department to give them some bullshit read-off-a-flyer training that nobody wants or needs, and which I am ALSO not scheduled any time for, so I have to cram it in between my normal duties. There's nothing quite like the misery of pestering my supervisors to pull people away from their jobs so that I can sit with them for ten minutes telling them, for the fiftieth time, why we can't store conventional foods above organic foods. It's a loving joke and I'm pretty sure everyone hates me because of it, but if I don't do it I get written up.

I also get to train new hires... theoretically. My new boss apparently thinks she can make the whole process more efficient by not scheduling the new hires at the same time as me, not telling me what they're doing or what they've been taught, and basically throwing them to the wolves and then getting mad at me when they flounder.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I love how nerds have no self-confidence whatsoever when it comes to the opposite sex until they see [what they interpret as] a nerd flag. Then, they're all "tonight I will sex this girl"

That's because, in these guys' minds, the problem is DEFINITELY not that they're creepy, awkward, unattractive, greasy shitheads... it's just that society doesn't understand them! So when they see a girl who likes the same things that they do, surely she'll immediately understand their true, passionate selves. And if she turns them down, it's just because she's a lying fake-nerd oval office.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Nettles Coterie posted:

That's because, in these guys' minds, the problem is DEFINITELY not that they're creepy, awkward, unattractive, greasy shitheads... it's just that society doesn't understand them! So when they see a girl who likes the same things that they do, surely she'll immediately understand their true, passionate selves. And if she turns them down, it's just because she's a lying fake-nerd oval office.

This, exactly. They read over and over again that successful relationships happen between people with common interests. So clearly those basic bitches who only care about the Kardashians will not appreciate their superior intellect and hobbies, while a girl who shows any sort of "nerdy" interests checks the common interests box and beep boop we will have a sex. Then if she turns him down she's a fake nerd.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Also, calling them creepy is a hate crime.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I may have said this before, but I get that poo poo whenever I hurt myself. Yes, I'm hurt, deal with it. I have no sense of crisis when hurt and don't feel pain that much. My entire life, I've had cuts and bruises that I don't remember getting. I'm going on 40 years of people saying "Oh my god! What happened?" Stop asking me! I don't remember! I know the bruise on my left wrist was a bad hit using a light sledgehammer when driving a stake and I know my bruised rib was from taking a bad fall on rocks while catching my pup that had gotten off her lead. Beyond that, it's just normal poo poo. Sometimes people don't pay much attention to self-preservation. Get over it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
What's creepy mean? Asking for a friend

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The phrase "getting my/their poo poo pushed in." I don't know when this started being treated like a somehow nicer thing to say than "rape" even though it's just rape slang, but I am seeing it all over the loving place. Rape slang thrown around casually is a peeve of mine in general

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

People who refuse to express their hate or disdain in any way, and are constantly taken advantage of, walked over, or forced through things they can't stand as a result because they refuse to say anything or stand up for themselves.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Nettles Coterie posted:

I'm the official "team trainer" for my department at work, which is a bullshit title that came with a meager raise. What this means is that once a month I'm supposed to go to a meeting (that my managers frequently forget about and neglect to schedule me for) and then I have a week to sit down, individually, with all 35 people in the department to give them some bullshit read-off-a-flyer training that nobody wants or needs, and which I am ALSO not scheduled any time for, so I have to cram it in between my normal duties. There's nothing quite like the misery of pestering my supervisors to pull people away from their jobs so that I can sit with them for ten minutes telling them, for the fiftieth time, why we can't store conventional foods above organic foods. It's a loving joke and I'm pretty sure everyone hates me because of it, but if I don't do it I get written up.

Can't you just email people a jpeg or something?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Can't you just email people a jpeg or something?

Yeah or just get them to sign something that says "I have read and understood this flyer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

Yeah or just get them to sign something that says "I have read and understood this flyer."

In an ideal world this would work and be sufficient, but in that kind of environment, if you don't do what they say exactly how they say to do it, if something does go wrong you'll get reprimanded more harshly with "see? if you had just done it the way I told you, this might not have happened" even if that's not true and even if your alternative way of doing it is objectively better/more efficient/faster.