Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there mod support? When can I import my old Beavis and Butthead sound wad?

Anyway, I'm sold, I need to rip and tear. I wish there was some way to let Bethesda know that it was in spite of their boring-rear end MP demo, not because of it.

edit: I know this has been asked before but how the hell is it 45 gigabytes? I assume it doesn't have long cutscenes or anything.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MinibarMatchman posted:

played this for about an hour and it's loving fun as poo poo, looks incredible and runs like a dream. How Bethesda hosed up the marketing and didn't give out early reviews is insane, but the "Reviews in progress" so far have been glowing. what a comeback for retard 4.

don't want to spoil anything for myself but is it by any chance the chainsaw? because I found that but wasn't sure if that was "hidden." if it wasn't that then I haven't found anything else.

Nope, not the one I found.

I'm fairly confident that if you are diligent enough you can find multiple weapons "early" based on ammo drops I've seen and weapons I've found.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Really expected 'Doom game with no early reviews and very little press coverage' to suck rear end but welp turns out this game owns. I have Uncharted to finish but I think I gotta pick this up too, I love me some Doom and want to shotgun demons in the face v. badly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there mod support? When can I import my old Beavis and Butthead sound wad?

No mod support, its Id Tech 6. You need a server farm to edit it.

There is snapmap though which is pretty cool.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I know this has been asked before but how the hell is it 45 gigabytes? I assume it doesn't have long cutscenes or anything.

If you knew it was asked before, why not read the thread? :effort:

Its Id Tech 6. MegaTextures is the reason.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Kramjacks posted:

Turn graphics settings down/off until its stable enough for you.

Well, yes, but any specific console cvars or a specifically taxing setting? Texture quality? Shaders? Particle effects? Not sure what's taxing the most on this engine.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its Id Tech 6. MegaTextures is the reason.

Speaking of, why would they be an option if I've just a 750Ti? I mean, it's not like I can actually see these MegaTextures. Maybe do an R6:S and have MegaTextures be a separate download.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Now that Doom and Wolfenstein have basically won traditional FPS, we need to have a modern Descent reboot/remake to allow goons something else to whine about for months/years in advance of actually playing the game, we could have whole threads dedicated to six degrees of retardation or something

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

fivegears4reverse posted:

Now that Doom and Wolfenstein have basically won traditional FPS, we need to have a modern Descent reboot/remake to allow goons something else to whine about for months/years in advance of actually playing the game, we could have whole threads dedicated to six degrees of retardation or something

There's already two crowdfunded Descent reboots in the make and the second one is actually pretty good.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

I guess man, but there was plenty of reason to be skeptical of this being any good at all. Hindsight

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Has there been an Descent game between the classic ones and now where you fly slowly down a straight hallway in the dark and robots come out of robot closets and attack you that I forgot about? If not I doubt a new game now will get as bad an initial reaction as Doom 4 did.

And I guess there kind of is.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Maaan I really hope they put the soundtrack on Apple Music soon.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Anyone have a link to the key bindings or a manual? I've been googling and haven't found anything.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Descent 3 will forever, in my mind, be the game that disabled mouse/kb controls by default in multiplayer (or nerfed it; my memory is spotty) because joystick users were mad that the mouse was better than a joystick.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I just finished the campaign. Really enjoyed it all the way to the end. Clocked in at about 13 hours though not every minute of that was spent actively playing in the gameworld.

I'm happy with the length of the game; obviously I would enjoy having more content to play for my money but given how long it took them to make this and how hueg the file size already was, I can be satisfied with what we got. I hope there'll be an expansion style DLC and/or a standalone sequel that can turn around some of the same resources but also add a bunch of new poo poo. The environments could have used a bit more variety, but compared to Doom 3 it already feels like an embarrassment of riches (what do you mean Hell feels like a real world and not just a theme park ride??) so again I won't be complaining.

In terms of general gameplay and visual design... near perfection. Gameplay was great, architecture was jaw-dropping, story was perfect and never got in the way.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So the boss fights in this game might legit be the best boss fights I've ever done in an FPS. I haven't killed the final boss yet but the Cyberdemon and Hell Guardians were both really well done.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

widespread posted:

Speaking of, why would they be an option if I've just a 750Ti? I mean, it's not like I can actually see these MegaTextures. Maybe do an R6:S and have MegaTextures be a separate download.

Well you're still using the megatexture technology technically, with how it renders the maps, but much lower res ones that would be smaller. It would be nice if they had megatextures as a seperate download, lots of games let you boot into the game without all the stuff downloaded and then play as you download now, but they didn't for this game so oh well.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

Descent 3 will forever, in my mind, be the game that disabled mouse/kb controls by default in multiplayer (or nerfed it; my memory is spotty) because joystick users were mad that the mouse was better than a joystick.

I honestly don't remember this, but it has been so long. Personally I was a joystick nerd because m/kb set up was harder for me to use.

Ramsus posted:

I guess man, but there was plenty of reason to be skeptical of this being any good at all. Hindsight

There's skepticism and then there's whatever the hell this thread was supposed to be in the weeks leading up to release, and everyone involved in it should probably be made fun of and stuffed into a locker after school or something

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 14, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Orgophlax posted:

Purely speculation on my part: this is a direct sequel to DOOM 2 or 3, depending if they consider 3 cannon. Something happened to seal you in the sarcophagus, a nutso religious group popped up and brought the demons back, so someone dug you up to stop Hell. Again.

In Doom 3, they talk about the ancient pre-historic human civilization on Mars that fought off the demons. They eventually buried their most powerful warrior along with information on the portal technology and warnings on not to use it, which the scientists in Doom 3 discovered and used. So it is possible that Doom Guy is the ancient Martian warrior that was buried.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Ramsus posted:

It's Doom.

Doom is good.

loving lol at anyone who tried to overthink this universal truth.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Has anyone had a chance to evaluate horde mode? How many maps ship with the game for this mode?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Severed posted:

Has anyone had a chance to evaluate horde mode? How many maps ship with the game for this mode?

Zero? Horde mode is for snapmap, and you're meant to make your own levels. Its like Mario Maker for Doom, or like Timesplitters.

There are templates so I guess you could just load up a template for horde mode as-is, but you're meant to make stuff.

Its super, super easy and convenient to browse and filter maps using the in-game sharing system for snapmap, so all you have to do is go click some maps that sound cool and then you'll have dozens and dozens.

Anybody wondering where deathmatch is, its in SnapMap, not Multiplayer, awkwardly. This is what happens when 3 studios make a game.

There are some playlists for co-op so I take it back, there's probably some stock maps...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 14, 2016

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

These are pretty drat solid, there's classic doom tracks on youtube but most of them sound slightly different than how I remember

the e1m1 music especially never sounds right to me unless the sound effects of doors opening, gun shots, and monsters screaming are included. They're just baked into my brain on how it should sound.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Wow drat dude that's rude as gently caress

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Solid player game is awesome, booming soundtrack playing while I smash apart demons, 10/10 would gut hellspawn again.

Tried a couple rounds of the MP and holy hell is it still garbage. Yes, let's make a rocket launcher a default weapon and also be one of the most reliable, high-damage weapons. That won't turn every level into a samey, exploding map.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Solid player game is awesome, booming soundtrack playing while I smash apart demons, 10/10 would gut hellspawn again.

Tried a couple rounds of the MP and holy hell is it still garbage. Yes, let's make a rocket launcher a default weapon and also be one of the most reliable, high-damage weapons. That won't turn every level into a samey, exploding map.

Actually the rocket launcher is super gimped compared to the one from the original games, and kind of sucks. Almost every time I go up against a dude with one of them I just circle strafe around them unloading plasma into them and they go down without really touching me at all.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

It's funny how pretty much everyone hates Doom multiplayer but everyone has their own unique set of complaints.

"The rocket launcher is too strong and the movement speed is too slow"
"Nuh uh, the rocket launcher is too weak and the movement speed is too fast"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

Actually the rocket launcher is super gimped compared to the one from the original games, and kind of sucks. Almost every time I go up against a dude with one of them I just circle strafe around them unloading plasma into them and they go down without really touching me at all.

If that's true then they are terrible with the rockets, it's fairly easy to get a 30-40 HP shot if you detonate the rocket in the right spot.

E. Some weapons have uses, such as the super shotty if you are literally inches from someone's face, or the sniper if you are playing one of the moving objective maps. But generally speaking most of the weapons just fall apart compared to rockets.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 14, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

There are 4 stock co-op maps, but they're pretty solid actually. And the real point is to make your own.

Whoever posted earlier that snapmap sucks was just rushing and didn't spend long enough to figure out how it works. It has huuuuge potential. They need to add a few things like the pistol and individual ammo pickups.

They also included a series of in depth tutorials to teach you all the things you can do with it, especially since some things like scripting are pretty complicated its real nice to have.

Love the quad damage sound effect, pretty similar to quake 3.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Game fuckin owns oh my god

edit: owns owns owns

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 14, 2016

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Oh game reviewers :allears: IGN posted their impressions and one of the complaints the reviewer has is the AI in game isn't very smart and the enemies will just roughly go after your general direction even if they can't see you and "shouldn't know where you are". Fire all game journalist and reviews into the sun

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 14, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Oh game reviewers :allears: IGN posted their impressions and one of the complaints the reviewer has is the AI in game isn't very smart and the enemies will just roughly go after your general direction even if they can't see you and "shouldn't know where you are". Fire all game journalist and reviews into the sun

Who's the real fool, this reviewer, or you, the person still going to IGN in 2016?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

Who's the real fool, this reviewer, or you, the person still going to IGN in 2016?

It's always a kick to check out a burning train wreck every now and then

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Can we seriously not bind individual weapon keys in SnapMap?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Bolow posted:

So the boss fights in this game might legit be the best boss fights I've ever done in an FPS. I haven't killed the final boss yet but the Cyberdemon and Hell Guardians were both really well done.

Can you guess what the next boss fight is? It's also the best one.

I found the Cyberdemon to be hilariously easy, the first phase of Hell Guardian was annoying (fuckin' shields can gently caress off forever) but the 2nd phase was legit fun.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thebushcommander posted:

single player is pretty sweet, multiplayer is pretty poo poo honestly.. kinda disappointed. As someone that used to play competitive quake1/2/3 i was kinda hoping for more like that ;( i think it's the lack of strafe running that is fucken me up and some of the weapons are pretty underwhelming dmg wise. Why does every modern fps have to get sucked in to the CoD vaccum for how things work?

play ut4 and reflex

please somebody

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Did I miss the Plasma Rifle somewhere? Went right to heavy assault rifle on the second level.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Did I miss the Plasma Rifle somewhere? Went right to heavy assault rifle on the second level.

Yes but you get a "real" one later, the early access to one is a hidden secret.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
IF YOU'RE ON THE FENCE HERE'S A GOOD DEAL

http://digital.simplygames.com/steam/doom

I just bought it myself, got the code instantly, installing now.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

E1M1 posted:

Thank you for play-a my game

youre welcome thanks for making it good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I know all games are console ports anymore, but no in-between match text chat? If you're going to make 90 second waiting periods between matches at least let people talk to each other.