Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Starstruck protege of scientific genius murders those harmed after an industrial accident gone wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

What a terrible episode.

And, wow, they really are going for the whole Barry-Iris thing... :bang:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm shocked no one has mentioned how stupid Grindr's zombie walk was. The whole time it looked like he was trying to keep his pants from falling down.

Also I'm glad Zoom continues his descent into Power Ranger villain by employing a group of terribly non threatening mooks that will probably come at the Flash one at a time.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Just to get it straight, Zoom murdered all the cops and took over the police station, and then the Flash died and Zoom had to go get a bunch of alternate universe metahumans, so basically the death of all the police in the city didn't have any immediate repercussions?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

boom boom boom posted:

Just to get it straight, Zoom murdered all the cops and took over the police station, and then the Flash died and Zoom had to go get a bunch of alternate universe metahumans, so basically the death of all the police in the city didn't have any immediate repercussions?

Well the show's a bit out of sync with Arrow right now but I believe these events take place after (last night spoilers) Damien Dhark set off a Russian nuke on American soil so the national forces do actually have other things to deal with atm

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dresh posted:

Well the show's a bit out of sync with Arrow right now but I believe these events take place after (last night spoilers) Damien Dhark set off a Russian nuke on American soil so the national forces do actually have other things to deal with atm

The fact that Barry had his powers at Laurel's funeral and said he was late because of Zoom would suggest that Arrow is actually ahead of Flash, so I wouldn't expect the nuke to happen in Flash for a couple of weeks yet. That said, the timing of that crossover and the Supergirl one suggest that no one cares about keeping things synchronised any more, so who knows.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The real reason is the writers are bad and don't think about how to make the plot at least remotely realistic.

Supervillain murders a bunch of cops and claims the city as his own as the rest of the country watches on TV and does nothing? Yea OK. :rolleyes:

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011
Boring episode. Fitting that they mention TWD in it actually.

At least Iris actually had some good lines for once.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

JT Smiley posted:

I'm shocked no one has mentioned how stupid Grindr's zombie walk was. The whole time it looked like he was trying to keep his pants from falling down.

It's the Thriller intro before they start dancing basically.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Chokes McGee posted:

What I want to know is, what kind of powers does Newsboy behind Not Dolph Zigger have?

It's weird that you're picking up on Dolph Ziggler and not the fact that Newsboy is a dead ringer for Miz.

enraged_camel posted:

What a terrible episode.

And, wow, they really are going for the whole Barry-Iris thing... :bang:

This...surprises you? If this were a Superman show, would you start banging your head against a wall when he started making eyes at Lois Lane?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SonicRulez posted:

It's weird that you're picking up on Dolph Ziggler and not the fact that Newsboy is a dead ringer for Miz.

This...surprises you? If this were a Superman show, would you start banging your head against a wall when he started making eyes at Lois Lane?

Maybe if Lois Lane was his adopted sister

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

If they'd made Lois Clark's adopted sister, with whom he'd consistently had less chemistry than various other LLs introduced, yes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe if Lois Lane was his adopted sister

Yeah. That is a bit.. unsettling.

I mean I get it, they're not related by blood, but it still seems a little off to me.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

If I learned anything from watching every season of Dexter, it's that adopted siblings still count as incest.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It would maybe seem less incestuous if he wasn't still living with their dad.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

punchymcpunch posted:

If I learned anything from watching every season of Dexter, it's that adopted siblings still count as incest.

Ehhhhhhhhh as an adopted person I feel like there is a pretty substantial difference between adoption and late childhood foster care. Did the Wests ever even fully adopt Barry? It still has the potential to be weird but they didn't grow up as brother/sister from birth.

poo poo I dunno maybe I am being insensitive to foster kids here tho.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

greatn posted:

It would maybe seem less incestuous if he wasn't still living with their dad.

Henry's going to move in and the show renamed to "My Two Dads"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

flosofl posted:

Henry's going to move in and the show renamed to "My Two Dads"

The man in the iron mask is his best friend Joey Gladstone and it becomes Full House.

Instead of telling Barry to go faster, he tells bad metas to cut it out.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Ehhhhhhhhh as an adopted person I feel like there is a pretty substantial difference between adoption and late childhood foster care. Did the Wests ever even fully adopt Barry? It still has the potential to be weird but they didn't grow up as brother/sister from birth.

poo poo I dunno maybe I am being insensitive to foster kids here tho.

I'm pretty sure Joe was legal guardian idk if he way fully adopted though.

It's a moot point however, because it was still established that Barry loved Iris before he moved in and was also already preteen at that point. If you want to get into the weird science of sexual attraction they were well beyond that point of the Westermick effect being a thing and didn't grow up as siblings.

If you want to blame someone besides the writers for this all being muddy, I'd blame Joe since he knew the entire time and was basically like, sure move in during the most sexually awkward period of your life and I'm just going to pretend you're not jerking off to my daughter who will be in the next room, it's nbd.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And then Joe having multiple talks with Barry:

"Hey Bear, why ain't you loving my daughter yet?"

"Uh, Joe, Iris isn't Iris engaged?"

"Answer the question"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

According to my Gmail spam folder, incest is super in right now anyway.

(Actually darkpriest said in his AMA that it really is super in.)

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
A lot of people are acting like the writing's gone downhill, as if it had a hill to go down. The writing was never good. The big difference is the show isn't fun and lighthearted this season, and that was a breath of fresh air.

Mortanis posted:

It'd be pretty weird for them to revisit Barry trying to save his mom yet again, but it's possible. The first season was basically leading to Flashpoint and then swerved at the last minute. And we just got the "depowered Barry gets his powers back" plot last week.

He has to revisit it again to stop himself from saving his mom in the first place.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

According to my Gmail spam folder, incest is super in right now anyway.

(Actually darkpriest said in his AMA that it really is super in.)

There's no other explanation for the popularity of The Game of Thrones.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

There's no other explanation for the popularity of The Game of Thrones.

titties

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Koalas March posted:

I'm pretty sure Joe was legal guardian idk if he way fully adopted though.

It's a moot point however, because it was still established that Barry loved Iris before he moved in and was also already preteen at that point.

Barry "loved" Iris before he moved in? Dude, they had not met before. There's actually a scene earlier this season where Joe takes little Barry home, and Iris is standing at the top of the stairs and introduces herself. And they're both like... 8 years old.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

Barry "loved" Iris before he moved in? Dude, they had not met before. There's actually a scene earlier this season where Joe takes little Barry home, and Iris is standing at the top of the stairs and introduces herself. And they're both like... 8 years old.

Pretty sure you're misremembering. They were already best friends.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Uh no dude, he explicitly tells her last season how he 'had to go and live with the girl he had a crush on'. She wasn't introducing herself in that scene, they'd known each other for a while. She was just greeting him.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BreakAtmo posted:

Uh no dude, he explicitly tells her last season how he 'had to go and live with the girl he had a crush on'. She wasn't introducing herself in that scene, they'd known each other for a while. She was just greeting him.

Or, more believably, the writers loving suck and don't know what continuity is and can't keep track of what happens on previous seasons.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

flosofl posted:

Or, more believably, the writers loving suck and don't know what continuity is and can't keep track of what happens on previous seasons.

I mean, not going to say this isn't true but I don't think they've contradicted themselves about this and enraged_camel is just misremembering. Although his enraged yet super confident posting style makes people trust him about this kind of knowledge.

Barry is 11 when his mom dies and the Wests and Allens already have some kind of friendship. Joe didn't adopt him just because he was the first cop on the scene or whatever (despite what Dexter, the Powers comic, at least one episode of Law and Order: SVU and probably a bunch of other things would have you believe).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

flosofl posted:

Remember when Thawne extracted DNA from Blackout's corpse the first time Barry lost his powers and it was treated like it was going to be a big deal, but was then never mentioned again?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, not going to say this isn't true but I don't think they've contradicted themselves about this and enraged_camel is just misremembering. Although his enraged yet super confident posting style makes people trust him about this kind of knowledge.

Barry is 11 when his mom dies and the Wests and Allens already have some kind of friendship. Joe didn't adopt him just because he was the first cop on the scene or whatever (despite what Dexter, the Powers comic, at least one episode of Law and Order: SVU and probably a bunch of other things would have you believe).

Yeah they were already friends. He said that he had to move in with the girl he has a crush on, and he tells Iris that he loved her before he even knew what love meant, implying he's loved her since they were kids.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when Thawne extracted DNA from Blackout's corpse the first time Barry lost his powers and it was treated like it was going to be a big deal, but was then never mentioned again?

I was about to correct you and say that was Earth-2 Wells, but no, it really has happened twice.

I'm guessing they have a plot they're planning that really needs someone to have access to an anti-speedster bioweapon

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

JT Smiley posted:

I'm still not clear if this is intended as a joke about the actor/character, or an unintentional autocorrect admission.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
What is earth-2 crutchy's super power?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

In any case, it hardly matters. Kids at that age don't know what "love" is. Using that as justification to marry them 20 years later is just stupid.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

In any case, it hardly matters. Kids at that age don't know what "love" is. Using that as justification to marry them 20 years later is just stupid.

He literally said, "I loved you before I knew what love meant".

The last couple episodes have squarely been about fate. Barry and Iris are gonna be endgame no matter how dumb people think it is, so deal with it or dip out.

And honestly if they didn't end up together the backlash would be crazy. Like there are articles in magazines about how important Iris is for little black girls watching superhero shows, and part of that is predicated on Barry/Iris getting married, because of how TV treats black actresses as either hypersexual sluts not worthy of true love or strong don't need no man statues. It's crazy but it's true.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Koalas March posted:

The last couple episodes have squarely been about fate. Barry and Iris are gonna be endgame no matter how dumb people think it is, so deal with it or dip out.

And honestly if they didn't end up together the backlash would be crazy. Like there are articles in magazines about how important Iris is for little black girls watching superhero shows, and part of that is predicated on Barry/Iris getting married, because of how TV treats black actresses as either hypersexual sluts not worthy of true love or strong don't need no man statues. It's crazy but it's true.

Well people thought that Oliver and Laurel would end up together too :v:

What I'm saying is that Barry will die.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Exactly

quote:

And honestly if they didn't end up together the backlash would be crazy.

It's as if we haven't learned anything about how shippers ruin TV series...

quote:

Like there are articles in magazines about how important Iris is for little black girls watching superhero shows, and part of that is predicated on Barry/Iris getting married, because of how TV treats black actresses as either hypersexual sluts not worthy of true love or strong don't need no man statues. It's crazy but it's true.

:chanpop:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That means that retroactively, as an adult, he knows it was love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Exactly

It's as if we haven't learned anything about how shippers ruin TV series...

:chanpop:

quote:

Characters who are black women often fall into many negative stereotypes. They are often written as fat, sassy, aggressive, angry, self-indulgent, hypersexual, and gold digging single mothers. Rarely are they portrayed as vulnerable, desirable, loving, carefree, silly, elegant, soft or genteel.

quote:

The rare characters that become love interests for a white male protagonist are often sidelined for a white woman. It’s inexplicably rare for the black women character to be the one to whom the white protagonist declares his devotion to and stays with in the end. 

http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/the-power-of-black-women-in-fandom/

I mean I can dig up more articles that say the same thing but as a black girl I'm pretty confident that I know how people like me are portrayed in the media and how that bleeds into real life.

• Locked thread