Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Xelkelvos posted:

That's probably because Sara and Snart have chemistry and seem relatively similar in more than they type of stuff they have in their Netflix queue. Even if Sara didn't feel the same way about Snart (I guess she's Bi until explicitly told otherwise), they've had all sorts of character bonding moments throughout the season that's really only rivaled by Ray and Mick

I stand by this being a long con to meet Snart's sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Snart better not be dead for good, Snart for Carter is not a good trade.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ApeHawk posted:

Can the CW stop justifying the use of roofies? Please? Not the best message to be sending, show.
Yeah, that was a really terrible scene.

FactsAreUseless posted:

characters didn't act like idiots
Didn't they?

Hermetic posted:

I also love how subtle they were about the oracle's control.

They escape the Time Masters, knowing that the moment they do, they're under the Oracle's control. They then immediately hatch a plan that involves going straight back to the Time Masters' base, and it's basically the only plan they've had all season that garners a unanimous decision.
But why did the Time Masters just allow Jefferson to show up and wreck their poo poo? He was back within their sphere of influence too!

OB_Juan posted:

Also, please don't use the device that can see and manipulate all of time to just gank Savage in Egyptian times, saving everyone a lot of trouble, then use it to find a different solution to the alien invasion. Blow it up for maximum vengence.
I'm pretty sure Rip is the bad guy. He literally saw the future and knows that his plan will lead to aliens taking over the Earth and went "let's make sure no one can stop it then!"

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah, their whole spiel about "the only way we stopped the invasion was because Savage united the world under one ruler, which we helped orchestrate" really falls apart when they LITERALLY HAVE THE SCRIPT OF THE SHOW AND A PEN. Apparently, writing history to make the birdpeople go away WITHOUT creating an immortal hitler and causing mass genocide is too hard.
Yeah, if they'd just seen Savage take over and stop the aliens and gone "that worked out surprisingly well, better not gently caress with it" that would be one thing, but actually orchestrating his rise to power because he's literally the only person who can do it is really dumb.

Also, if the aliens would have won and that would have meant no Time Masters, how do the Time Masters even exist? Their interference is the only thing that stops the aliens, but stopping the aliens is the only thing that allows them to exist. It's a clear paradox.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Other than that, I enjoyed the episode because it was just action and fun character interactions (Roy and Mick eating desserts).
Mick's "don't tell anyone I secretly like them" bit was really dumb though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

sbaldrick posted:

Snart better not be dead for good, Snart for Carter is not a good trade.

He got a contract to appear in all the Berlanti shows now. He isn't dead dead at least.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Decius posted:

He got a contract to appear in all the Berlanti shows now. He isn't dead dead at least.

Earth 2 Mayor Snart declares Flash the greatest threat his city has seen.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So did Rip just decide to gently caress humanity because he got emotional over his family?

God gently caress that guy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Earth 2 Mayor Snart declares Flash the greatest threat his city has seen.

he's not wrong

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Scyantific posted:

So did Rip just decide to gently caress humanity because he got emotional over his family?
That and the fact he was lied to.

It's kind of funny that the Time Bastards lie to Rip about the terribad future to motivate him to help stop it. Just like Rip lies to the Tommorrowcrew about their ability to stop the future bad killfamily.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm sure Cisco won't mind

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
"Think about it."

Careful what you wish for buddy,

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Tiggum posted:

But why did the Time Masters just allow Jefferson to show up and wreck their poo poo? He was back within their sphere of influence too!

My guess would be Tarkin-esque overconfidence. The Time Lo--Masters thought that they could take the whole crew at full power.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

OB_Juan posted:

So the reason the team was so consistently dumb all season was that the Time Masters were pulling the strings?

Also, please don't use the device that can see and manipulate all of time to just gank Savage in Egyptian times, saving everyone a lot of trouble, then use it to find a different solution to the alien invasion. Blow it up for maximum vengence.

I get that the device saw all of time and was the basis for how the Time masters saw time, but making it control time as well? That gives me a few questions I don't think the writers thought out very well. Their whole thing was preaching non-interference, which is why bad things happened "Because they had to." But apparently all they do is interfere.

Why are there any problems? Why would the Thanagarians be a problem? If you can control time or anyone's actions you could resolve this in literally unlimited amounts of ways.

If they can control time why are they doing indirect things like giving Vandaal Savage time travel and making him kill Rip's family that way? Is it necessary to also help him stalk his ex girlfriend and kidnap her?

And if the vanishing point is outside time how can they possibly say "In 2176 there is a Thanagarian invasion that destroys Earth and they also defeat us and take the vanishing point?" If they can see their own futures and it correlates with a specific date in the regular area of the universe then they aren't outside time at all. If they were outside time they would never be invaded. And if there was an enemy that learned time travel they would always be invaded and never exist?

If they saw the team destroying the Oracle in the Oracle why did they still allow the team to destroy said Oracle?

Basically I guess the speedforce did it?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Anyone who refers to their origination as "Masters/Lords of Time" are pretty much always super incompetent when it comes to actually doing things with time travel, and always for vague reasons.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Snart's sister, Peyton List, got cast in the new Frequency series starting on the CW, based on the really good Jim Caviezel/Dennis Quaid movie. I'm not sure if we'll see her back as Lisa Snart if that show goes well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fat Shat Sings posted:

If they saw the team destroying the Oracle in the Oracle why did they still allow the team to destroy said Oracle?
The Oculus Rift was a plot device.

It's the TimeForce, it ain't got to explain poo poo.
Like how The Vanishing Point aint got no strings because it's outside of time, but the Time Masters foresaw the team attacking the Oculus anyway.

(But yeah, why not just divert a small meteoroid or something to rock Thanagar and force them to rebuild instead of colonize aggressively, instead of, you know, killing 75% of the world population via Vandal Savage).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The best part is that Rip had no idea the Oculus existed but his ship apparently did. When he asked it what the timeline was doing, it said "you blew up the Oculus, hosed if I know now."

Rip apparently never questioned where his ship for info about the timeline.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

bull3964 posted:

The best part is that Rip had no idea the Oculus existed but his ship apparently did. When he asked it what the timeline was doing, it said "you blew up the Oculus, hosed if I know now."

Rip apparently never questioned where his ship for info about the timeline.

It's come up before. It's a download / sync from the vanishing point. That was why he needed another ship because they killed his account at some point.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

Tiggum posted:

Early on in the season everyone lost interest in Jefferson and his natural athleticism, tuning his character completely out, the Time Masters chose not to waste their time on his character arc. Preferring Professor Stein, and placing random people with famous names in his path.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wish they had not gone with the Thanagarians invading, rather they went with the storyline where Vandal Savage teams up with Solaris to gently caress over earth. That would have been more interesting, and would have kept with Savage trying to take over earth.

And I think the writers, like writers at DC, think the Hawkman/Hawkgirl thing is super romantic, and therefor something people love. No, people like the hawkpeople because they hit people with giant maces, not because Carter is always forcing Shiara into a relationship.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

twistedmentat posted:

I wish they had not gone with the Thanagarians invading, rather they went with the storyline where Vandal Savage teams up with Solaris to gently caress over earth. That would have been more interesting, and would have kept with Savage trying to take over earth.

And I think the writers, like writers at DC, think the Hawkman/Hawkgirl thing is super romantic, and therefor something people love. No, people like the hawkpeople because they hit people with giant maces, not because Carter is always forcing Shiara into a relationship.

I found a problem in your post

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

boom boom boom posted:

I found a problem in your post

Well, there are people who like Hawkman and Hawkgirl, they wouldn't have been around for so long if they weren't. Just because we don't know any doesn't mean they don't exist.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I like the Hawkgirl from the DCAU.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

Solaris is an, uh, interesting choice. How well do you think this show would have done representing a talking sun as a threat?

I agree that that was one of the best Vandal Savage stories, because it played to his one unique strength, which is that he can play the long, long, long game. Savage should have been shown deliberately putting pieces into play century by century building to his eventual conquest. Instead he seemed to gently caress around at random in each time period with no apparent strategy in mind.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe the thanagarians only invaded cause they were pissed Vandal savage kept killing their reincarnated royalty and sucking out their essence over and over.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that they had been together by choice for something like 4 thousand years; It's just that they always have an amnesia like period to get over.

So basically isn't carter like waiting out his true loves reverse dementia? Like she pulled the same poo poo on future mind wiped Carter didn't she

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Mraagvpeine posted:

I like the Hawkgirl from the DCAU.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They kinda gave her personality to Sara instead.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Instead of the Thanagarians, it should've been Mongul and his Warworld or the Durlans or Lady Styx

The Hawks are cool, it just Carter in this series isn't the Carter from the comics who's fairly hot blooded, utterly vicious in a fight and rarely knows how to hold back. Kendra at least knows what restraint is, but she's as knock-down, drag-out as Carter which is sorta why they make a good couple. It's not because they're destined to be together that they work, it's because they're actually compatible with each other so there's no mystical compelling that's done. In every flashback we've seen of the Hawks, there's been no indication of any sort of chemistry. It's utterly forced making the "Destiny" thing more like a curse.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Na'at posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that they had been together by choice for something like 4 thousand years; It's just that they always have an amnesia like period to get over.

So basically isn't carter like waiting out his true loves reverse dementia? Like she pulled the same poo poo on future mind wiped Carter didn't she

I'm pretty sure they said Carter gets his memories back first, then seeks out Kendra.

So basically, Kendra's just living her life, being a normal person, maybe with a boyfriend or a new family. And then Carter shows up and say, yo you gotta love me and you're about to be murdered, give up everything you care about so we can bang for a couple years before a beard guy murders you.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They established that sometimes Kendra gets her memories first.

Still the worst part of the show, though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think my main problem with the Time Masters is they're never shown actually using their supposed advantages outside of orchestrating that ambush. If the series writers had wanted them to really feel more competent we should have been tripping over those guys left and right in the background, like if the other timeship captains had some kind of respect for Rip and would appear, but not try to actually stop him. Instead we get Mick in a robot suit a couple times and those three utterly ineffectual motocross looking dudes who started a fight and got murdered hard.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Snart's sister, Peyton List, got cast in the new Frequency series starting on the CW, based on the really good Jim Caviezel/Dennis Quaid movie. I'm not sure if we'll see her back as Lisa Snart if that show goes well.

Oh man that's one of my favorite movies but I don't see how it could work as a series. :( "Okay Dad, this week I'm going to need you to run to the bank to stop a bank robber!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Maybe the thanagarians only invaded cause they were pissed Vandal savage kept killing their reincarnated royalty and sucking out their essence over and over.

:lol:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Na'at posted:

It always seems like Carter gets his memories and then goes and finds Shiara and tells her they were meant to be together. Some writers have made it so both were in a position that it wasn't creepy, but the majority of stories I've read its always Carter being the one who starts it.

And yea, JLU did it best with Carter being portrayed as a creepy stalker and Batman wants to punch his lights out for stalking his friend. If creepers like Dini and Timm realize it's not right, then it's really not right.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Solaris is an, uh, interesting choice. How well do you think this show would have done representing a talking sun as a threat?

I agree that that was one of the best Vandal Savage stories, because it played to his one unique strength, which is that he can play the long, long, long game. Savage should have been shown deliberately putting pieces into play century by century building to his eventual conquest. Instead he seemed to gently caress around at random in each time period with no apparent strategy in mind.

It would actually be easy, you just need a glowy ball that talks with a modulated voice of someone already on the cast, like an TOS Star Trek episode. You hit my biggest problem outside of Savage's actor not really seeming like a threat (also the fact he was just some Egyptian dude rather than an uplifted caveman), that he never really seemed like he had a over arching plan for most of history we see, outside of the Degatron stuff, and that was pretty much right before his takeover. His arms sales, his experiments, they all seemed really small time villain stuff. He should have been going all Bene Gessertt, manipulating bloodlines for centuries to create perfect captains to serve him, creating important and powerful families that would supply him with money and resources, and hell, suggest that he created literal countries to support him. But that would be way too imaginative for the writers on the show, becuase everything has to be delt with this week and Savage jumps out a window while everyone goes "wow I have lots of feelings about what just happened, lets talk about them rather than chasing down Savage for once and for all".

Actually I wish this show was more like Stargate, that had great reoccurring villains, over arching plots, but episodes were generally self contained enough to not scare off casual viewers. Plus it managed to have emotional arcs without interrupting the action.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They just need Grant Morrison to Executive Produce and write a bit for a season or even Giffen and DeMatteis and then just sorta see where it goes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

It always seems like Carter gets his memories and then goes and finds Shiara and tells her they were meant to be together. Some writers have made it so both were in a position that it wasn't creepy, but the majority of stories I've read its always Carter being the one who starts it.

And yea, JLU did it best with Carter being portrayed as a creepy stalker and Batman wants to punch his lights out for stalking his friend. If creepers like Dini and Timm realize it's not right, then it's really not right.

JLU-Hawkgirl was also an alien who never buys into what Hawkman is selling. They never had a destiny to be together or history of reincarnation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Well, there are people who like Hawkman and Hawkgirl, they wouldn't have been around for so long if they weren't.

I see you're new to DC editorial

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I want Sara to show up on Arrow next week and just literally rip Dahrk's heart out. Walk right back out past Ollie and company without a word.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ray just politely ignoring the guy who got roasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Has Rip finally accepted that his family is dead?

• Locked thread