Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

Defiant Sally posted:

someone post the cavefish quote about it

Off the top of my head it was something like "lift weights and you're poo poo because you will never be strong in my eyes coz I'm a goon bloo bloo bloo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

sassassin posted:

100% wasted money

20% wasted money seeing as my previous scales were just flat out stopped working. I'm sad to hear my magic electro scales aren't actually real. :(

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Those scales are just a bank of empirical data, they take in your height and weight and then do a simple electrical resistance test to figure out where you are on the tables.

The best bf% tool is a mirror.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I need to go buy a full length mirror.

*edit: should I install it in front of the power cage in the garage for maximum mirin?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
We had one of those electrical measuring things at work and it told me my bf % is 31. :psyduck: There's no way in hell I'm over 20%, I can see my abs.

The lady operating it told me eating right before will gently caress up the result, but they seem to be complete garbage anyway. Some slim chick told she had a result of 78%

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Metanaut posted:

We had one of those electrical measuring things at work and it told me my bf % is 31. :psyduck: There's no way in hell I'm over 20%, I can see my abs.

The lady operating it told me eating right before will gently caress up the result, but they seem to be complete garbage anyway. Some slim chick told she had a result of 78%

they are garbage and don't take into account muscle mass. i've gotten anything from 9% BF to 35% BF depending on the options I select on them. I'm probably closer to 15%

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
They are for the most part complete bullshit, they try to estimate your body composition based off a single measurement of circuit resistance. Just the amount of water you retain can totally change the reading, and we all know how easily water weight fluctuates.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
how to figure out if you're fat:

step 1: look in the mirror

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

notZaar posted:

They are for the most part complete bullshit, they try to estimate your body composition based off a single measurement of circuit resistance. Just the amount of water you retain can totally change the reading, and we all know how easily water weight fluctuates.

Yeah mine puts my body fat at like 7.9% - I loving wish.

Also I am a twink, but hey I just deadlifted 205 for the first time so that's kind of okay.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
no its not, you are weak, your muscles need to become stronger

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Alternatively: keep at it, I remember breaking 200 deadlift when I started.

Picking heavy poo poo up repeatedly is fun.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

1st AD posted:

Yeah mine puts my body fat at like 7.9% - I loving wish.

Also I am a twink, but hey I just deadlifted 205 for the first time so that's kind of okay.

205kg is respectable.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
PR week is over.

Got 3 reps each of 437.5 deadlift, 375 squat, 247.5 bench. And 2 reps of 175 OHP.

Not sure if I want to throw up, die, or die from throwing up right now.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Curl up in a ball with a nice salami.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

bamhand posted:

PR week is over.

Got 3 reps each of 437.5 deadlift, 375 squat, 247.5 bench. And 2 reps of 175 OHP.

I was gonna say good lifts because i thought those were 1rms, but they are actually great lifts bro!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

*nods sagely*

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Went to Korean barbecue. Is that an acceptable alternative to salami?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

notZaar posted:

It's kinda funny that people waste time with that when if you are really truly that lazy you can just use a caliper on rear of upper arm and get within a mostly accurate reading in about 5 seconds.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I put a tablespoon of coconut oil in my PWO who knows this either worked for or against me (I get a lot of conflicting info as to the benefits/downsides of coconut oil) but I will say that I felt really good and got a lot of volume done.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

bamhand posted:

Went to Korean barbecue. Is that an acceptable alternative to salami?

only if you ate like a mountain of meat

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bamhand posted:

PR week is over.

:eyepop:

Can I touch your wiener? You know, for luck?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Defiant Sally posted:

Only powerlifts and autists on the internet care about how much you cna lift

someone post the cavefish quote about it

its the only thing on my pastebin

Cavefish posted:

here's some advice: no one gives a gently caress how much you lift besides gay power bears and autistic internet lifters. People give even less of a gently caress how much you lift if you look like a big bag of poo poo OH BUT I CAN SQUAT A LOT thats great but can a jersey shore skank rail an 8 ball of coke off your chiseled abs I didn't think so. I get the feeling most people want to do smolov or something similar so they can be like "i told u i was hardcore" when their lovely squat goes up 30lbs to the detriment of their other lifts and physique because they're lazy and train like poo poo already and are impatient or want to play the starting strength spreadsheet rpg and minmax their stats and oh look MY GAINS and basically i'm not saying this applies to you but the majority of this forum is a bunch of loving retards who would rather spend time jerking off over fat or average chicks posting lovely progress pics than actually learning how to improve themselves and I hope you all die alone where is your god mark rippetoe now?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Skim Milk posted:

Ah the W&W glory days. Now it's a big bag of even shittier poo poo than it was back then.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defiant Sally posted:

Ah the W&W glory days. Now it's a big bag of even shittier poo poo than it was back then.

Somehow people knowing less about lifting made things better

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Dum Cumpster posted:

everyone getting old and married didnt help

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dum Cumpster posted:

lift heavy poo poo up and down, don't be a retard and injure yourself, don't be a self righteous rear end in a top hat, have fun, repeat.

And eat burritos and salami on da reg.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
be careful walking the salami path

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Defiant Sally posted:

:rip: W&W

:rip: (probably) Cavefish

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

It's like I lost 30 pounds just by realizing how much I actually ate by calorie counting, but now I have to lose the last 15 pounds or so that's left but I can't because I actually have to stick to some meal plan for about 3 months to do that. And work out hard at the same time. And not fall off the wagon immediately when something stressful/bad happens in my life.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Paintball today. Perhaps the most fun "leg day" possible. Today is also a Burrito Day.

God bles.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Skim Milk posted:

Wow, never seen it. A worthy thing to keep.

drat, talk about Internet autists.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?zjmnZkXQ6RA
E: wow, my phone hosed that up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

UnfurledSails posted:

It's like I lost 30 pounds just by realizing how much I actually ate by calorie counting, but now I have to lose the last 15 pounds or so that's left but I can't because I actually have to stick to some meal plan for about 3 months to do that. And work out hard at the same time. And not fall off the wagon immediately when something stressful/bad happens in my life.

dont be weak

hope this helsp

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Leave tonight for Florida for a beach vacation. Cut 8 pounds in the last week and a half to get beach ready. Now got the six pack showing while at rest aww yeaaaaa

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Zzulu posted:

dont be weak

hope this helsp

Good luck not feeling like a weakling as you cut

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

UnfurledSails posted:

The last 4 months have been the first time in my life that I've actively restricted calories... Went from repping 315x5 on bench to getting rocked out by 275x5. Good poo poo. Bulking too long: not even once.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

UnfurledSails posted:

This is what causes me to fail......every time

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Gaz2k21 posted:

This is what causes me to fail......every time

When I bulk I feel fat as poo poo. When I cut I feel like a skinnyfat weakling. When I do neither I feel like myself which is like the worst of all options

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
boy howdy do i hae the solution for you

kid, have you ever heard of "steroids"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

abgushte badamjan posted:

Roll and stretch your glutes/hips, Google pigeon pose

Thanks, also thanks to the guy who posted the other one above this one. Too soon to tell, but I'm not sure if they helped well or not yet. My really low back, close to where it meets my glutes feels really tight, mostly upon waking up, and works itself out as the nights(when I'm working) go on. I have a foam roller, but just a regular cheap one and it doesn't really get into my glutes well. I did however, order a lacrosse ball, and I'm going to start doing limber 11 at least once, maybe twice daily. I really hope that fixes this, and my knee issue(also this seems to be getting better, it's really arbitrary about when it happens).

Another thing that may be weird, how does it feel when you guys dig real hard into your glutes with a ball/foam roller? I was using one of those spiky foam rollers the other day, and while it did work better than my smooth one, it was less the sore feeling you get when you roll sore quads and more almost a digging into a nerve feeling(I also sometimes get that feeling when I move around when my low back is sore, maybe a nerve is being compressed somewhere by the tightness?). I continued, and it still seemed to help overall, it was just odd.

I've also developed a tendency to roll over and go back to sleep on my back in the mornings when I wake up here and there, I normally sleep on my side.

I'm probably still going to go see a dr soon, but it'll be a week or two because of life stuff.

• Locked thread