Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Did Supergirl use any characters that the CW has/was using? How about the other way around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

omg chael crash posted:

Did Supergirl use any characters that the CW has/was using? How about the other way around?

Nope.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Threep posted:

That's the entire pricetag per episode and also a lesson in what happens to stories that get re-blogged across a dozen websites without people thinking about what they're writing

Well then they really should just let the show die because they are never getting even a fraction of that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Not comic book, but I keep seeing it get mentioned, but is the Expanse any good, and what's the general idea of the show? I saw posters for it here and there on the subway, and it makes it look like Aliens or something.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait to see Krypton explain to me why they apparently discovered a planet they can live on that ALSO gives them free superpowers and they're like...nah I'm good.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

twistedmentat posted:

Not comic book, but I keep seeing it get mentioned, but is the Expanse any good, and what's the general idea of the show? I saw posters for it here and there on the subway, and it makes it look like Aliens or something.

The show takes place in a Sci-fi future where Earth and Mars are galactic superpowers who have colonized the asteroid belt/minor planets around them. The story focuses on a few major characters but the primary two are a pilot named Holden and his crew who are hauling water to the asteroid belt, and a detective named Miller who is investigating a missing person. Without spoiling too much, the characters all eventually wind up involved in political shenanigans that are pulling Earth and Mars to war and fueling an anti-colonialist revolution in the asteroid belt worlds. There are sci-fi horror elements which is where you get the Aliens stuff from.

Overall I really like the show, but I will warn that it can kinda feel slow at times, and the first season ends around where the plot really picks up in the books. Also there's a character who in the books isn't introduced until book 2 where their plot begins but the show introduces them in season 1 and I feel like they didn't have all that much to do.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 14, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
On the very last episode of Krypton the whole thing will zoom out to show it's a holographic projection that hologram Jor-El is showing Superman. They'll blow basically the whole series budget to get Russell Crowe and Henry Cavill to show up for 5 minutes and say "So that's how your great-great-great grandparents met, Kal", "Neat, Dad."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
As long as it's narrated by Bob Sagat

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

TwoPair posted:

On the very last episode of Krypton the whole thing will zoom out to show it's a holographic projection that hologram Jor-El is showing Superman. They'll blow basically the whole series budget to get Russell Crowe and Henry Cavill to show up for 5 minutes and say "So that's how your great-great-great grandparents met, Kal", "Neat, Dad."

lol if you think Crowe or Cavill will even be remotely interested in doing a SyFy series.

Krypton is going to be bad and will get cancelled in the first season, because DCTV writers can't write for poo poo when it doesn't involve a major DC character (see: Legends of Tomorrow).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I laid out how Krypton will go about 5 minutes after it was originally announced.

Jor-El's father (Seyg-El?) will somehow be transported to modern day earth by the end of the second or third episode and all the Krypton stuff will be in flashback just like Supergirl.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Edit: double post

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 14, 2016

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Scyantific posted:

lol if you think Crowe or Cavill will even be remotely interested in doing a SyFy series.

Krypton is going to be bad and will get cancelled in the first season, because DCTV writers can't write for poo poo when it doesn't involve a major DC character (see: Legends of Tomorrow).

I like the assumption that Henry Cavill is too successful to stoop to that. What's he working on? The Man From U.N.C.L.E. sequel?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

jscolon2.0 posted:

What's he working on? The Man From U.N.C.L.E. sequel?

Oh pretty please, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was a delightful movie.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

howe_sam posted:

Oh pretty please, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was a delightful movie.

This. It was quite a lighthearted romp.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jscolon2.0 posted:

I like the assumption that Henry Cavill is too successful to stoop to that. What's he working on? The Man From U.N.C.L.E. sequel?

I loving hope so.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

I would also accept that the entire series was a holodeck simulation run by Cmdr. Riker as part of an elaborate scheme to bed some new ensign.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

jscolon2.0 posted:

Dear God I hope so. I loved The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Scyantific posted:

:thejoke:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrProsek posted:

The show takes place in a Sci-fi future where Earth and Mars are galactic superpowers who have colonized the asteroid belt/minor planets around them. The story focuses on a few major characters but the primary two are a pilot named Holden and his crew who are hauling water to the asteroid belt, and a detective named Miller who is investigating a missing person. Without spoiling too much, the characters all eventually wind up involved in political shenanigans that are pulling Earth and Mars to war and fueling an anti-colonialist revolution in the asteroid belt worlds. There are sci-fi horror elements which is where you get the Aliens stuff from.

Overall I really like the show, but I will warn that it can kinda feel slow at times, and the first season ends around where the plot really picks up in the books. Also there's a character who in the books isn't introduced until book 2 where their plot begins but the show introduces them in season 1 and I feel like they didn't have all that much to do.

Cool. I'll have to give it a try it out, though it sounds like season 1 True Detective, weirdness added to an otherwise standard plot.

The posters I saw showed someone in a space suit floating in space and the caption "We've gone to far!" made it sound like it was about an space exploration that goes wrong because they went to a part of space that mad them go mad. Space Madness!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Can't wait to see Krypton explain to me why they apparently discovered a planet they can live on that ALSO gives them free superpowers and they're like...nah I'm good.

One version of comic book Krypton was like super racist and wanted nothing to do with other planets.

A goofy thing of this week's LoT was the conga line sacrifice. Having Ray stay behind is fine, having Mick take over for Ray is fine but then having Snart take over for Mick was just going too far.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Another version has the guardians loving with kryptionain DNA so that they'd get sick and die if they left Krypton because they were previously a race of space faring conquerors using the power of yellow suns to enslave trillions and Jor El fixed Superman DNA so that he'd survive the trip.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this? posted:

One version of comic book Krypton was like super racist and wanted nothing to do with other planets.

A goofy thing of this week's LoT was the conga line sacrifice. Having Ray stay behind is fine, having Mick take over for Ray is fine but then having Snart take over for Mick was just going too far.

I thought for sure Snart was going to remember that the ship could regenerate limbs so he was going to freeze his hand to the switch. Silly me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I read that JJ season 2 is going to give some more focus to side character, which makes me think we'll see Hellcat, but Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat is now the definitive Hellcat for me, so it will be weird seeing a much more serious take on the character, which honestly, she was always a sorta silly character.

I really doubt that Talk Show Host Trish Walker will have to get a job at the One Stop Crop Top Shop and live in She Hulk's closet.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The problem is "Trish" Walker doesn't have any of the interesting or goofy quirks of Patsy, and that combined with the lack of Literal Magic Powers makes her ultra boring. Also the whole "my mom made me wear a red wig" thing is dumb as gently caress.

Honestly I think the whole half-step they took with Hellcat in JJ was just loving stupid. Either name her Patsy Walker and give her red hair and magic powers and make her the daughter-in-law of the Literal Devil, because that's hilarious, or make her a totally original character with a totally original name because seriously who even knows who Hellcat is besides giant loving comic book nerds who'll find the fact that you slapped an entirely different person with her name bizarre and pointless. It pleases nobody.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't really mind, because Jessica herself has almost nothing in common with her comic book version anyway. It's just doing its own thing and using comic characters as inspiration for some of it.

Purple Man still should've turned purple in the finale, tho.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nah. JJ came off as the essential elements of the character viewed through a different prism, "Trish" came across as somebody totally different who was in no way related to Patsy Walker besides the most superficial of similarities that was then inexplicably given her name because...uh...I...guess? And every time JJ tried to bend over backwards to explain that no, no, "Trish" is totally Hellcat for reals down to her mentioning the red wig and name of her show just came across as desperate and slightly pathetic, like winking at the audience that didn't exist constantly. No, she's Hellcat, guys, we swear. I mean, she has none of the elements of Hellcat at all, and we sure as poo poo aren't putting her in a costume, but...yeah! She is!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I've never read Hellcat and found Trish to be a pretty cool character in the show. The red hair was a great way to show the subtlety of her mother abusing her to accrue fame and money and Trish rejecting the red and making her own identity with the blonde hair was a great way to show her rejection of her abusive piece of poo poo parent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Trish was a great supporting character in the show, better even than Foggy in DD.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Trish was a great supporting character in the show, better even than Foggy in DD.

I thought she was great. Really liked the actress as well, she brought a lot to it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Nah. JJ came off as the essential elements of the character viewed through a different prism, "Trish" came across as somebody totally different who was in no way related to Patsy Walker besides the most superficial of similarities that was then inexplicably given her name because...uh...I...guess? And every time JJ tried to bend over backwards to explain that no, no, "Trish" is totally Hellcat for reals down to her mentioning the red wig and name of her show just came across as desperate and slightly pathetic, like winking at the audience that didn't exist constantly. No, she's Hellcat, guys, we swear. I mean, she has none of the elements of Hellcat at all, and we sure as poo poo aren't putting her in a costume, but...yeah! She is!

I think Trish as a character, in a vacuum was fine if not just flat out good, but the stuff you are describing with the winking at an audience that doesn't exist is a Marvel TV specialty and is pretty much the rock that Agents of SHIELD was built on. I hope JJ s2 is a bit more "explosive" in its use of characters. DD and the upcoming Iron Fist combined are blowing the lid off of superhero weirdness, so a less subdued JJ series would be appreciated. Same for Luke Cage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Luke Cage was one of the weakest parts of JJ. Not that he was poorly acted or anything, but his character barely had an arc and was very one-dimensional. I understand that it's not his show, but I really hope he gains some depth in the future.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If Marvel/Disney were really forward thinkers they'd actually make the "It's Patsy" show, not even market it as a Marvel production, put it on Disney Channel and then rope in huge viewer numbers from both the tweens who normally watch banal live action Disney Channel sitcoms, and the insane nerds who will be convinced that there will be some greater MCU significance somewhere down the line.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lil' hard to do that now that the child abuse backdrop of the show is well established.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought she was a natural redhead and dyed her hair blond to get away from being Patsy Walker.

But yea, I really liked the character on JJ, just she's divorced from Patsy. I don't expect her to be as twee as Kate Beaton writes her, but at the same time her being the character who makes Thanos say "Drat" seems like a stretch for this character.

Actually, I wonder who the villain for JJ season 2 would be. If I was to hope i'd be hoping for Fisk. He was out for most of DD, so bringing him back to deal with Alias investigations would be great. Plus they could add in someone else like Bullseye as a more street level villain. I figure Defenders is going to have them deal with Kingpin and Kirigi or whoever is running the Hand as their big boss.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Lil' hard to do that now that the child abuse backdrop of the show is well established.

See that's the best part, the kid audience will never know, the adults will think this is deep lore, and both demographics will watch. Hire me Disney, I am willing to exploit nerds' neurotic tendencies for your gain.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 15, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Or, and this is far, far more likely, audiences won't care and cable news channels will (fairly justifiably, considering the content of the flagship show) call whatever fake "It's Patsy" show a stealth attempt to influence children. I think all "think of the children" arguments are gross, but there's basically no way to straight-line present "It's Patsy" as a pure children's show without coming off as disingenuous. And knowing its origin even I would think that's really loving repulsive, since in-canon you're supposed to be watching a victim of child abuse put on a forced smile and dance for our amusement. It's not clever on a meta-commentary level if presented as not centrally connective.

Now, that being said, a Pee Wee Herman-esque program that's sold as the show-within-a-show on Netflix, basically something like the Bojack Christmas special, that's presented "pre-edit" so you're watching like, the camera still rolling as you get hints of the abuse that Trish's mom inflicted on her? Well, that's just the right sort of horrifying that could work. And it'd obviously be for adults so it's not really skeezy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Luke Cage was one of the weakest parts of JJ. Not that he was poorly acted or anything, but his character barely had an arc and was very one-dimensional. I understand that it's not his show, but I really hope he gains some depth in the future.

Jessica Jones felt like a show making a conscious attempt to focus mostly on the female characters, which is incredibly rare and kinda nice as a change of pace, so as a side effect the male characters were about as developed as the female ones tend to be in 90% of television.

Plus, they probably limited Luke Cage's arc and character growth so the people on his show would have more room to do their own thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FrankWill was developed far more than Luke was. My complaint isn't really that Luke didn't get enough focus, it's more that there didn't seem to be that much to him as a person compared to his comic book counterpart, which I certainly can't say about anyone else in the show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

FrankWill was developed far more than Luke was. My complaint isn't really that Luke didn't get enough focus, it's more that there didn't seem to be that much to him as a person compared to his comic book counterpart, which I certainly can't say about anyone else in the show.

I agree, but like Skwirl, I kind of assume it was because they had plans for his solo series and didn't want to step all over it, probably because the only interesting thing about his solo series will be developing his character and exploring his backstory, at least, that is the unfortunate feeling I get from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
It was kinda like bp in civil war where they wanted to introduce and set him up for his own thing while still being a part of the story, only they had to little story for him for a too long a format for it to be a short but sweet kind of thing.