Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Why is guts a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Dias posted:

Why is guts a good thing

It's not a good thing,
it's not a bad thing.

It's just a thing.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
What is MIke Z's opinion of guts though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's not a good thing,
it's not a bad thing.

It's just a thing.

so it's an unnecessary thing

oohrah

honestly I never really got the weird defense/health scaling some game have, melty has that poo poo and I'm like can't you just make that lifebar bigger then

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Buhbuhj posted:

mike z made a game where every character has the same health so probably that it's not good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's not a good thing,
it's not a bad thing.

It's just a thing.

When am I getting another WWE All-Stars featuring Row Man.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Buhbuhj posted:

Broken Loose already posted it.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Dias posted:

so it's an unnecessary thing

oohrah

honestly I never really got the weird defense/health scaling some game have, melty has that poo poo and I'm like can't you just make that lifebar bigger then

no it affects how good health recovery from heat is at a given point for one

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

interrodactyl posted:

no it affects how good health recovery from heat is at a given point for one

For MB it's kinda ingrained on all of its weird systems, I guess. I still think it's obnoxious, you could scale heat to health with some forethought. But that's the game with a reduce damage from combo system by pressing buttons, so

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
guts is cool and part of a dynamic and interesting game and helps to differentiate characters in a way that other games do not. it's neat..

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If there was no guts then Chipp would literally die in two hits to anyone that's why there's guts, so he dies in literally two hits only to the heavy hitters

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

guts is cool and part of a dynamic and interesting game and helps to differentiate characters in a way that other games do not. it's neat..

it's like fadc

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

If there was no guts then Chipp would literally die in two hits to anyone that's why there's guts, so he dies in literally two hits only to the heavy hitters

this is true but I feel like it's worth mentioning that chipp is such a spastic all over the place fast and deadly rear end in a top hat that it can be hard to actually confirm the hits you do get into anything at times

but this is coming from someone who's best chipp strategy is to just randomly do whatever dumb thing I can best confirm into damage off of random hits and cross my fingers

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's me i have no clue what to do against chipp

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Why is guts considered "hidden"? It isn't explicitly mentioned in the tutorial? You can see the effect in training mode. Or is it the values are not clearly defined? Are all of the values for all of the things in Skullgirls defined in game?

Also it not at all unpredictable when you know about it and how it works, but I get the feeling you added that qualifier because Skullgirls has "hidden" things that are predictable, so they're fine?

Guts is considered hidden because at no point (save for 100% HP) can a player clearly predict how much damage their attacks will do due to the amount of overlapping behind the scenes math.

As an example, Skullgirls More Different introduced Drama, which was a combo length limitation system to complement the Infinite Prevention System. Every attack did a certain amount of Drama and it would drain at a specific rate when out of hitstun or blockstun. Skullgirls Unfinished Business put a meter onscreen to show how much Drama you had. This is the difference between bad implementation and good implementation.

It's just like what I said with stun in SF4 vs. stun in SFV. SFV shows stun visually, so it feels less random and less arbitrary. I hate the fact that stun is accumulated in situations other than counter-hits, as all it's good for at that point is allowing way too much damage, but it's still possible to make a lovely mechanic shittier by implementing it in a bad way.

The values for all things SG2E are defined and discernible from what you're doing. Defense modifiers don't exist, bonuses from things like taunts have clear visual indicators, IPS is obvious, physics don't change with combo length, and there's even a reset indicator. It's very easy to make up a combo on the fly and know that it'll work because you don't have to worry about hitstun decay loving with your poo poo. You can invest all your resources into a punish that looks like it'll kill without the risk of it arbitrarily not being able to kill due to fuckery between how much HP the opponent had left and how much HP it looked like they had. There are clear visual indicators of things like counter-hits, overheads, assist states, and so on. Nothing feels arbitrary outside of mixups and setups.

I'm sure Mike Z probably disagrees with half of what I say, given that he put Drama into MDE without a meter, he loves Guilty Gear which I loving hate, he thinks Filia isn't redundant, 3rd Strike is one of his favorite games which I think is a gigantic piece of poo poo, and he likes juggalo music which is objectively terrible. My viewpoints come from the position of somebody who plays and designs board games, so I prefer clear rules with as little bullshit in the way as possible.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Broken Loose posted:

he likes juggalo music

what the gently caress

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

Guilty Gear which I loving hate

Luceid posted:

what the gently caress

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

IPS is obvious

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I wish guts was as transparent as that

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the infinite prevention system in marvel is "kill them before they drop out of the combo"

or

"do infinites"

marvel is #1

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
funny how skullgirls shares a mechanic with loving primal rage of all games

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AnonSpore posted:

I wish guts was as transparent as that

poo poo, I wish MvC2's combo system was as transparent as "don't link into a button you've already used and don't link after the opponent's green bar is full." We still don't know the proper numbers for Undizzy.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Skullgirls is objectively a poo poo boring game for poo poo boring people, IN MY OPINION

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's not a good thing,
it's not a bad thing.

It's just a thing.

balive dat

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's not a good thing,
it's not a bad thing.

It's just a thing.

fwiw I got the impression this was the case when I asked, I was just curious. The chip thing kinda makes sense though, assuming it's intentional.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yo Golden Battler I've had a weird hankering to play soku lately, hit me up on Steam or something if you're up for some insufferable Sakuya mirrors.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
That is an oddly specific craving that I can potentially indulge, although be forwarned that I haven't played soku in months and am probably even worse now than I was the last time we played.

I'll add you regardless.

e: invite sent, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what my steam name is

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
don't play soku it's a poo poo game

play a good game like iamp instead

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
People keep explaining the mechanical consequences of guts and all it's doing is convincing me it's a good thing

"oh no, we made a mechanic that encourages you to be more aggressive in a match that's already down to the line"

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

interrodactyl posted:

don't play soku it's a poo poo game

play a good game like iamp instead

I haven't played IaMP much, and I'm poo poo at both, but to me the movement and attacks in soku feel better.

The rng deck system is a bit weak though yeah

e: Also ggs boromir, eventually I will learn how to press down and then up relatively quickly on a keyboard

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Soku is a fun poo poo game

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Broken Loose posted:

He put Drama into MDE without a meter, he loves Guilty Gear which I loving hate, he thinks Filia isn't redundant, 3rd Strike is one of his favorite games which I think is a gigantic piece of poo poo, and he likes juggalo music which is objectively terrible.

I didn't know I liked Mike Z this much.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

People keep explaining the mechanical consequences of guts and all it's doing is convincing me it's a good thing

"oh no, we made a mechanic that encourages you to be more aggressive in a match that's already down to the line"

Well I mean people are talking like systems that promote offense are bad things, so who knows what it's like in this strange bizarro universe.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's not a good thing,
it's not a bad thing.

It's just a thing.

Only good post on this page.

Or this thread.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

why does The Club just remind me of sandwiches instead of bullets

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Out of all of the shoehorned stuff to complain about in Xrd, GUTS is like the least thing deserving of complaint.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yep.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Because it's a pain in the rear end outside of that one thing it does. The same logic could be applied to Danger Time "oh no, we made a mechanic that encourages you to be more aggressive in neutral" or for X-Factor "oh no, we made a mechanic that makes more matches go down to the wire"

brian
Sep 11, 2001

you are quite the wordsmith at equating things based on very strenuous similarities while also having terrible taste

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
your posts are exhausting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Isn't the problem with X-Factor that it gets stronger when you're already losing? Guts, if I'm understanding correctly, gives you an advantage in wrapping things up when you've already established a lead.

Both raise the stakes / instability in a situation where both players have taken heavy damage but the dynamic that gets them there is different.