Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Sickening posted:

List buddy, negate is as good as its every going to get and you are going to like it.

Is Frank Lepore on suicide watch yet? Still no tweets from him in 3 days.

Has he posted anywhere? He might be a piece of poo poo but depression/ suicide are motherfuckers man

Or he is pissed off/investigating and on social media blackout.

suicidesteve posted:

The problem seems to be that they don't want countermagic to be good, they don't want to print any good cantrips and they don't have card draw in blue anymore for some reason. You may recognize these things as all blue actually does.

What I'm saying is print Accumulated Knowledge, Opt and Force of Will in the moon set. Especially Opt. I'm tired of Serum Visions. Card's awful.

I'd call you cranky grandpa magic but you're really right.

Zoness posted:

Frank Lepore is even bad at causing magic drama can we just have a judge banning or card robbery already jeez.

The NYPD may have done something other than discharge hundreds of rounds without hitting what they were shooting at when they released images of the dude who swiped the $50?70?k backpack @ Gp NY does that count?

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Frank Lepore is even bad at causing magic drama can we just have a judge banning or card robbery already jeez.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Everyone go give Wizards your money for TSP draft, its great.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Remand minus the cantrip would absolutely suck. You're going down a card to blank them for a turn, it's actually probably worse than Disperse and that barely sees play already.

Trying to figure how to make a 2CC counter work. 3CC definitely seems to not be doing it.

What if Disperse gained Venser, Shaper Servant's "permanent or spell" wording?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

PJOmega posted:

Trying to figure how to make a 2CC counter work. 3CC definitely seems to not be doing it.

Dissolve was a fairly strong standard Cancel-variant

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

Would Remand minus the cantrip be too powerful in Standard? What about as a sacrifice enchantment?

I would heavily consider eating a roll of quarters before wanting to play a remand that does not draw you a card.

PleasantDirge posted:

The NYPD may have done something other than discharge hundreds of rounds without hitting what they were shooting at when they released images of the dude who swiped the $50?70?k backpack @ Gp NY does that count?

This is actually boring because you feel bad for the guy b/c he had power stolen until you read that he had like 3 ancestral recalls taken. Once someone has more than one hes basically a fuccboi keeping others from being able to play vintage. Someone who's holding 3+ uninsured ancestral recalls in an easily pilferable container can probably afford to lose them.

(Unless he is a cool and good person who lends them out and is a patron saint of vintage magic).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 14, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Disdainful Stroke was pretty good in some matchups.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

PJOmega posted:

Trying to figure how to make a 2CC counter work.

In Standard or Modern? Cause like... Silumgar's Scorn is pretty good in Standard.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

In Standard or Modern? Cause like... Silumgar's Scorn is pretty good in Standard.

Yeah, i'm not trying to bitch, simply theorizing and looking at design space. Amateur game designer/process design style. What would be a "fair but not oppressive" variant of a spell that is seen by many to be problematic is a fun theory experiment.

If people feel this is making GBS threads up the thread I'll gladly stop. Simply bored waiting for friends to show up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Memory Lapse too annoying?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

PJOmega posted:

Yeah, i'm not trying to bitch, simply theorizing and looking at design space. Amateur game designer/process design style. What would be a "fair but not oppressive" variant of a spell that is seen by many to be problematic is a fun theory experiment.

If people feel this is making GBS threads up the thread I'll gladly stop. Simply bored waiting for friends to show up.

Honestly for my money the thing that'd make straight up Counterspell annoying in Modern isn't even Counterspell, it's Snapcaster. Snapcaster hamstrings the good cheap spells they can print in the same way Birthing Pod hamstrung creatures and Stoneforge Mystic equipment. I remember in INN-RTR Standard, they printed Warleader's Helix because they tested Lightning Helix and aggro decks couldn't keep up with Helix, Snap-Helix.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Honestly for my money the thing that'd make straight up Counterspell annoying in Modern isn't even Counterspell, it's Snapcaster. Snapcaster hamstrings the good cheap spells they can print in the same way Birthing Pod hamstrung creatures and Stoneforge Mystic equipment. I remember in INN-RTR Standard, they printed Warleader's Helix because they tested Lightning Helix and aggro decks couldn't keep up with Helix, Snap-Helix.

....You're worried about Mystic Snake in modern?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

....You're worried about Mystic Snake in modern?

I think that's a pretty silly comparison.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Memory Lapse too annoying?

Memory Lapse is a very similar card with a very similar power level to Remand

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

Memory Lapse is a very similar card with a very similar power level to Remand

So too strong for standard?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

So too strong for standard?

if a person thinks one of them is too strong for standard, then by extension that person should think the second one is too

also, probably, at least for what eizards wants to do

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Memory Lapse seems fairly similar early on and significantly better in the lategame.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's extremely easy to cheat victories with memory lapse, which is why wotc doesn't want it back in Standard. All you have to do is fill out your deck list without them, cast it on an opponent, wait for them to put the card back in, then set your Memory Lapse on fire and call a judge. Opponent gets nailed for tampering with their deck. Easiest tournament win of your life.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Recant
UU
Instant
Counter target spell. It's controller may put it on top of their deck instead.

Gets around some of the Timmy feelbads of countering their bomb, Spikes can get a skill test of when to make the choice, Johnny gets that weird edge case where they can counter their own card for value.

I agree to the above that regarding modern the problem isn't Counterspell itself but rather Snapcaster. Oh what a world where it was Red and/or without Flash. Unfortunately that ship has long since sailed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

PJOmega posted:

Recant
UU
Instant
Counter target spell. It's controller may put it on top of their deck instead.

Gets around some of the Timmy feelbads of countering their bomb, Spikes can get a skill test of when to make the choice, Johnny gets that weird edge case where they can counter their own card for value.

I agree to the above that regarding modern the problem isn't Counterspell itself but rather Snapcaster. Oh what a world where it was Red and/or without Flash. Unfortunately that ship has long since sailed.

This is about as good as Counterspell, and the optional "downside" is such a tempo loss that it's barely even a downside.

The problem is the belief that Counterspell is an interesting card, which it isn't.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 14, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

This is about as good as Counterspell,

Optional Memory Lapse is not about as good as Counterspell. Actual Memory Lapse doesn't see Pauper play at all, where Counterspell does. In fact, Memory Lapse may say "counter target spell" on it, but it's not an actual answer to a spell - it's a 1-for-1 trade that presumably gains you mana. I don't think "Memory Lapse, but if the spell is bad the opponent isn't forced to draw it again" would be playable in anything except a Delver-style tempo deck, and I don't think they're printing any such overpowered blue one drops in the near future.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Angry Grimace posted:

This is about as good as Counterspell, and the optional "downside" is such a tempo loss that it's barely even a downside.

The problem is the belief that Counterspell is an interesting card, which it isn't.
You say that like generic "kill a dude" or "burn a thing" spells are interesting - they're not. But all those cards serve a purpose, and as such are necessary.

Also Option Memory Lapse is super loving awful don't kid yourself.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Dissolve was a fairly strong standard Cancel-variant

Dredge report: it's just hilarious when it works and just a boring non game if your opponent drops a Leyline or something.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Dredge report: it's just hilarious when it works and just a boring non game if your opponent drops a Leyline or something.

Modern.txt

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Maybe there's a particularly soft meta at card kingdom tonight for FNM, but mono red was hilariously good.

Had I not forgotten two sin prodder triggers on successive turns :sigh:

This is what happens when you have a bar attached to the store.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Unleashing this on sweet summer Modern children is just loving priceless

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Angry Grimace posted:

It's what the format deserves.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I wish he had let it resolve then let let me hit him with Rally the Peasants

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

What list are you working with? Sickening's from a page or two back?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lancelot posted:

What list are you working with? Sickening's from a page or two back?

The one above is the one I used. The only difference is I'm running regular mountains because I assume the Snow-Covered ones were just for personal amusement. The color symbols are a loving lie: the deck is practically mono-colored other than sideboard enchantment hate.

There's also a couple of other Grave-Troll decks people are jamming - a Travis Woo one (its far less popular because Woo) and a SaffronOlive one. The latter two aren't really classic Bridge From Below decks, they're Dredge-Vengevine decks.

and then SaffronOlive's:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 14, 2016

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Frank Lepore is broadcasting Hearthstone this weekend, apparently

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
You should draft TTP on MTGO because you too can win drafts with piles of garbage like this:

I saw a Temporal Isolation third to last pick and I almost cried.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 14, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

if a person thinks one of them is too strong for standard, then by extension that person should think the second one is too

also, probably, at least for what eizards wants to do

I was tired and lost track of the original conversation, i.e., this all started with discussing remand.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Remand that doesn't cantrip might be niche playable in Standard if it only cost one mana instead of two.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What if it investigated instead?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I am fiddling about with this esper rally deck for modern. Why is hedron crab over $3? Does it actually see play outside of goofy theme decks?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yawgmoth posted:

I am fiddling about with this esper rally deck for modern. Why is hedron crab over $3? Does it actually see play outside of goofy theme decks?

4-of in Modern mill, the best Modern deck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mill prices are not affected by trivial things like power level or logic. See: Glimpse the Unthinkable.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Yawgmoth posted:

The bulk of the demand I would guess is because Mill is a very popular casual strategy. You have cards like Glimpse the Unthinkable that are $20 for no reason other than casual appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Your latest PSA that blue Tron is horrible on the SCG stream.

• Locked thread