Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ahh, I see they took the Shadow Warrior remake route with it. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Shadow Hog posted:

I guess the lighting was broken in those pre-release videos, 'cuz it looks fine to me.
Nah, the lighting is still hosed. Everything has the equivalent of a 160 or so light level - there's no variation to it at all. If you compare it to a real screenshot of the same area it is obvious.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So if I can manage to get WadGen working for Doom64EX, will the files it makes work in GZDoom or is it kind of its own thing?

Trying to get WadGen working on a Mac isn't going too well, it just crashes (or maybe quits?) with no error when I hand it the ROM and doesn't make any files, and I can't imagine the actual application's gonna go much better once I have them generated.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's its own thing, for now. There's apparently a doom64/ branch of ZDoom, but I don't entirely know how it works - and my one attempt at getting it to work didn't exactly pan out.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR_qkzvOyPo

A new port of an old mod. Very early alpha, so there are bugs and visual irregularities.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Ok goons, you've made me spend £35 I said I wasn't going to until next payday.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Woolie Wool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR_qkzvOyPo

A new port of an old mod. Very early alpha, so there are bugs and visual irregularities.

Look at all that carnage :hellyeah: I'll keep an eye out for this :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Posting here because the official "DOOM" thread is garbage. How the hell do you double jump in the campaign? I'm in like the third or fourth mission and still can't do it and there's a secret that requires it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Posting here because the official "DOOM" thread is garbage. How the hell do you double jump in the campaign? I'm in like the third or fourth mission and still can't do it and there's a secret that requires it.

You can revisit finished missions at any time with all of your guns and upgrades intact, so presumably you unlock it later and come back to get that secret. I'm up to Argent Tower and don't have the double jump either.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

You can revisit finished missions at any time with all of your guns and upgrades intact, so presumably you unlock it later and come back to get that secret. I'm up to Argent Tower and don't have the double jump either.

Aaaah, thanks. I'm about to go to Argent Tower and I was kind of worried that I missed that completely. Sounds cool that you can go back to levels with items intact.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Aaaah, thanks. I'm about to go to Argent Tower and I was kind of worried that I missed that completely. Sounds cool that you can go back to levels with items intact.

In that case, I can also guarantee you that you don't need a double-jump for any of the secrets on the levels up to Argent Tower.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If anyone's hunting for a decent deal I just got Doom & its DLC from CDKeys.com for £25 ($35). Currently downloading on Steam now.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Aaaaaand subbed. That was just super enjoyable.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I think that ahoy video was pretty god drat gay. And not in a homophobic way, just so very gay. Ahoy is more concerned with ornate flowery prose than infotainment.
I'm rolling my eyes so hard that my eyes are turning gay.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The script in Ahoy videos has always been romanticized purple prose, it makes it sound more sophisticated and intelligent I guess.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm kinda cool with that but he just dives into an interesting subject and then doesnt expand on it at all, instead he uses it as a way to come up with alitterations. Masters of doom exists, just copy the info off that book and you have a solid video. He spent 30 minutes explaining how the guns work... He could easily have analysed how the gameplay differs from doom but nooo, gotta get those nifty sentences in about the shotgun.

His presentation is good but my god, there is just nothing there!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

His videos are cool. I agree that he scripts them to look more smart but not to be "gay" wich is a term overused on youtube comments wich are bad enough to carry outside.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just think his vocabulary is part of his gimmick, as a way to sound more "serious". I notice it everytime but he puts out great content that's leagues above the usual youtube crap so :shrug:

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Stephen king once said: "kill your darling". If Ahoy thinks his alitterations makes him sound smart, he doesn't actually know anything about writing scripts, or writing anything at all. Gamers are the worst.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

unpacked robinhood posted:

I just think his vocabulary is part of his gimmick, as a way to sound more "serious". I notice it everytime but he puts out great content that's leagues above the usual youtube crap so :shrug:

I think errant signal is way better anyway, but that guy has probably actually taken one course in literature or film science. Ahoy doesnt ever analyze anything, there is literally no depth to his videos. I dont get how you can call his poo poo leagues above anything at all.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I think errant signal is way better anyway, but that guy has probably actually taken one course in literature or film science. Ahoy doesnt ever analyze anything, there is literally no depth to his videos. I dont get how you can call his poo poo leagues above anything at all.

I didn't know errant signal, it doesn't look bad either. I guess I'm not really looking for analysis on my background noise video games videos, and I like the effort ahoy puts into his graphics and animations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I'm kinda cool with that but he just dives into an interesting subject and then doesnt expand on it at all, instead he uses it as a way to come up with alitterations. Masters of doom exists, just copy the info off that book and you have a solid video. He spent 30 minutes explaining how the guns work... He could easily have analysed how the gameplay differs from doom but nooo, gotta get those nifty sentences in about the shotgun.

His presentation is good but my god, there is just nothing there!

Ok, people have complained that his videos have no 'depth' before, but I find a real eye-roller since its 60 minute long youtube video that's attempting to look at everything considered important about one of the premier video games in history. From the modding, to the technical sophistication, the notoriously complex background to the game, to the effects of Id's previous games on the product, to the beginnings of serious online multiplayer, the ports of the game to other systems, the effects of the game on the company, the future of Id and the people who worked there and the legacy in so many FPS games since. Obviously its not going to have much new info for the denizens of this thread where everyone's played the games to death, people regularly post features from two decade old gaming magazines, Masters of Doom is almost required reading and the ins and outs of development for companies like Id or 3D realms are regularly discussed.

And also he does analyse how the gameplay differs from Doom, especially as it relates to the technical limitations that restricted things like the amount of enemies you can have on screen at once. If this was an episode of some TV show documentary about video games for people who may be interested but not knowledgeable about the subject I guarantee nobody here would have a complaint.

And his language is not flowery at all, come on. If you really want to see somebody who's clearly got a thesaurus beside him when he makes videos watch this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-8QAFqAAJ8

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 14, 2016

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

unpacked robinhood posted:

I didn't know errant signal, it doesn't look bad either. I guess I'm not really looking for analysis on my background noise video games videos, and I like the effort ahoy puts into his graphics and animations.

Okay thats fair and I get it. His voice and presentation is great as I said, and thats definitely enough for background noise videos.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Curdy you need to relax, brother.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

khwarezm posted:

Ok, people have complained that his videos have no 'depth' before, but I find a real eye-roller since its 60 minute long youtube video that's attempting to look at everything considered important about one of the premier video games in history. From the modding, to the technical sophistication, the notoriously complex background to the game, to the effects of Id's previous games on the product, to the beginnings of serious online multiplayer, the ports of the game to other systems, the effects of the game on the company, the future of Id and the people who worked there and the legacy in so many FPS games since. Obviously its not going to have much new info for the denizens of this thread where everyone's played the games to death, people regularly post features from two decade old gaming magazines, Masters of Doom is almost required reading and the ins and outs of development for companies like Id or 3D realms are regularly discussed.

And also he does analyse how the gameplay differs from Doom, especially as it relates to the technical limitations that restricted things like the amount of enemies you can have on screen at once. If this was an episode of some TV show documentary about video games for people who may be interested but not knowledgeable about the subject I guarantee nobody here would have a complaint.

And his language is not flowery at all, come on. If you really somebody who got a thesaurus beside him when he makes videos watch this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-8QAFqAAJ8

I honestly don't know what to say. Its a quake video. Its not gonna be a gigantic sisyphosean task to write a tight script about that subject and lol, just lol to what you consider to be his gameplay analysis. Its literally exactly what you wrote in two sentences, only he did it in 10 minutes with no further analysis than what you wrote.

Oh he is flowery in his script, I don't know what weapons-grade resistance you have to overly purple prose but you could probably read old romantic knight tales from the 1200's with that kind of defense going on.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I think that ahoy video was pretty god drat gay. And not in a homophobic way, just so very gay. Ahoy is more concerned with ornate flowery prose than infotainment.
I'm rolling my eyes so hard that my eyes are turning gay.

Wait a minute, when did this thread get moved to GBS?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Curdy you need to relax, brother.

Ok but quake deserves well made videos dammit. Game development is interesting! I'm gonna go lie down now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not that interesting, let's be real.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I honestly don't know what to say. Its a quake video. Its not gonna be a gigantic sisyphosean task to write a tight script about that subject and lol, just lol to what you consider to be his gameplay analysis. Its literally exactly what you wrote in two sentences, only he did it in 10 minutes with no further analysis than what you wrote.

Oh he is flowery in his script, I don't know what weapons-grade resistance you have to overly purple prose but you could probably read old romantic knight tales from the 1200's with that kind of defense going on.

Yeah, 'just' Quake, we're really saying that in the old FPS thread, come on.

His gameplay analysis goes deeper than that but I don't much feel like summarizing the entire video I presume you watched. He talks about the vastly inflated enemy health and the repercussions on how the guns feel, the complexity of the levels with the entrance of true 3D and the effects that full 3D had on control schemes that help push things towards WASD and mouse.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ahoy's videos are just really basic game/industry analysis 101, but well produced and with a very Easy Watching TV voiceover. I could easily see them aired as kind of an early-evening filler slot thing on TV. It's vaguely educational and makes the audience feel smarter than they probably are.

Maker Maker's Toolkit & Errant Signal have less flowery language and less fancy graphics, but tend to be far more insightful and focused.

Anyway, some additional Doom 4 thoughts: The final act (3-4 levels) feels like they ran a bit low on budget at some point, and it just kinda coasts to the end after you get the BFG. The two late-game enemies introduced are just slightly buffed reskins of earlier monsters where it feels like we should have seen Arachnotrons and Pain Elementals. I recall reading that there's stub files for a bunch of enemy types that never made the final cut. Once you've got the BFG the game has played all its cards, and it's just shuffling from there on in.

Edit: Well, except for the bosses. I'll not spoil them, but I will say they're probably my favourite FPS bosses ever now outside of the Metroid Prime series.

That's just about my only real complaint with the game, outside of a couple minor sound bugs (should get patched) and a single crash. PS4 version runs really well - 1080p, 60fps.

With all that said, they've got a really solid foundation here to build on. New enemies, environments & weapons are all it needs now. Bring on Doom 5, or an expansion.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 14, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Stephen king once said: "kill your darling". If Ahoy thinks his alitterations makes him sound smart, he doesn't actually know anything about writing scripts, or writing anything at all. Gamers are the worst.

You made me look this up because I thought It meant something completely different. Today I learned a thing. :haw:

Dominic White posted:

Ahoy's videos are just really basic game/industry analysis 101, but well produced and with a very Easy Watching TV voiceover. I could easily see them aired as kind of an early-evening filler slot thing on TV. It's vaguely educational and makes the audience feel smarter than they probably are.

Maker Maker's Toolkit & Errant Signal have less flowery language and less fancy graphics, but tend to be far more insightful and focused.

This is exactly how it feels to me. Like a cheap but good knockoff of David Attenborough talking about FPS's.

Also Doom 2016 is cool and good so far. 3/4 levels in and I'm liking it a lot. Very Wolf NWO but with Doom's flavor of aesthetics found in all things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guillermus posted:

Official doom thread got good as soon as the game released and we found out for sure it was actually good, and the Imp Zone crew stopped their retard trolling and went away.

But yeah, you get the jump boots later in the campaign.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Official doom thread got good as soon as the game released and we found out for sure it was actually good, and the Imp Zone crew stopped their retard trolling and went away.

But yeah, you get the jump boots later in the campaign.

Got the boots and now I know that you can revisit levels with all your equipment. Regarding the thread, seems better now but I'll never understand why they let YCS come back to poo poo videogame threads.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

rf1024 is real good so far. The sprite, palette, and sound modifications are actually quite nice.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 14, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So far, the dumbest and worst thing about DO4M is that you can't bind multiple weapons to the same number key, so I can't have the SSG and SG on the same key, or the assault rifle and chaingun on one key.

But hitting the pistol key when the pistol is already out brings out the chainsaw, so it's not like they couldn't make it work. :wtc:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

fixed

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doooom.

I forget, did they ever actually have a DO4M mockup or was that just parodying Thi4f?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arivia posted:

Doooom.

I forget, did they ever actually have a DO4M mockup or was that just parodying Thi4f?

Nah we're just having a laugh :)

BethSoft is stupid but they're not quite that stupid. Although, I'd much prefer DO4M to having it just called "Doom". I really, really hate re-boots re-using the same original name. Just makes it a pain in the rear end to refer to the original, or google for one or the other in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

I don't believe so. All of their public pre-release logos were just "DOOM", but with differing stylisations.

There were placeholder loading screens for the single player maps in the data files for the multiplayer beta that had a "DOOM 4" logo where the 4 was just kind of awkwardly sitting under the word, I guess they couldn't make that work well enough.