Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Found a cool little mod. A combat dodge that you can configure to work with WASD+LAlt or double-tapping directional keys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN9SteKg4Sc
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/20923/

What are goon thoughts on the combat mods? I googled around a bit last night, and seems like there's some cloak spell and save file issue going on with everything but, uhh, Ultimate combat, and Vigor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I loving hate it when enemies do that to my arrows, might be nice to turn the tables. I vaguely remember having another TK mod way back when, and it was generally well received.

Edit: Ah yes, that was it, hitstop.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 14, 2016

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
TK Dodge and Hitstop add a nice bit of punch to Skyrim's combat. Hitstop is a particular favorite of mine just for making combat feel like it has a bit more of cinematic weight to it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Downloading TK Hitstop, looks pretty cool.

Edit: There's also TK Recoil apparently, like Hitstop but for ranged weapons.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 14, 2016

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Finally had enough and had to get the 'Shut Up, Serana!' mod. So loving tired of her running her mouth.

Also not sure which mod is causing a crossbow bolt to be like permanently sticking out of my right hand. Might be Equipping Overhaul, as it has always been kinda buggy. I'll be curious to see if there are any better recommendations than DSR once the new OP is finished. I stopped using it a while ago because the patching process was tedious and it didn't seem worth it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Anyone know what mod could cause this? When I load a game I have to wait like 5 seconds while my guy unequips and re equips his weapon like 6 times. Could it be auto unequip arrows, equipping overhaul, or dual sheath? redux?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Average Bear posted:

Anyone know what mod could cause this? When I load a game I have to wait like 5 seconds while my guy unequips and re equips his weapon like 6 times. Could it be auto unequip arrows, equipping overhaul, or dual sheath? redux?
Sounds like it could be Equipping Overhaul and Dual Sheath Redux unable to decide who's the boss.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah I figured it out. It was equipping overhauls alpha build (aka the last version to ever be released in 2014). It has a bug where weapon damage isn't calculated when weapons are switched, so their "fix" was to have you draw your weapon several times.

Just use the 3.whatever build.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

kalstrams posted:

Found a cool little mod. A combat dodge that you can configure to work with WASD+LAlt or double-tapping directional keys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN9SteKg4Sc
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/20923/

What are goon thoughts on the combat mods? I googled around a bit last night, and seems like there's some cloak spell and save file issue going on with everything but, uhh, Ultimate combat, and Vigor.

This mod is great in idea but actually kind of sucks due to the delay between the double tap being so huge you will accidentally dodge a lot when you don't want to. I died multiple times falling off a cliff because you can't configure the speed delay between key presses to enable the dodge.

Eventually I turned it to be another key I now never use, shame because it's a good idea

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

doctor 7 posted:

This mod is great in idea but actually kind of sucks due to the delay between the double tap being so huge you will accidentally dodge a lot when you don't want to. I died multiple times falling off a cliff because you can't configure the speed delay between key presses to enable the dodge.

Eventually I turned it to be another key I now never use, shame because it's a good idea
I tested it a bit and it is very responsive thus far, I don't think I have any complaints at all. Maybe you had an older version or extremely script-heavy setup?

On the other hand I need to see what will happen when I actually get into script-intensive section of the game, like a CWO siege for instance.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

kalstrams posted:

I tested it a bit and it is very responsive thus far, I don't think I have any complaints at all. Maybe you had an older version or extremely script-heavy setup?

On the other hand I need to see what will happen when I actually get into script-intensive section of the game, like a CWO siege for instance.

No it's current and the delay between double key presses was just too long for my liking. I often shutter step a bit around corners and when those corners are high bridges. :(

I wish you could alter the time between presses to initiate the dodge because in combat it was pretty great.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Could someone clarify for me please whether loot is affected by encounter zone levels? Or does loot scale exclusively with player level? I know creatures are, obviously. Different nexus mod pages imply conflicting answers, and uesp.net has a 'verification needed' warning on the subject. Just so I know before I start a new game with the MLU version of static permazones.

Corsec fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 14, 2016

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Did Bethesda or their holding company ever purchase Gamebryo or are they still licensing it? I can't imagine it would make financial sense to have a term license...perhaps they had a perpetual license that included access to the source code, or some similarly weird arrangement?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

I messed up when I first started using SPERG and didn't move the uncapper to the correct location, so to correct for the number of perks I modified the file to keep from gaining more. Now that I've caught up to the correct number of perks, I changed it back to .5 perks per level. I leveled, it told me I had a new perk point...and when I went to level up, there was no new perk point. What went wrong?

Did it say "you have unlocked a new perk"? If so that means you just automatically unlocked a milestone perk. Like 35 smithing or something.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Did Bethesda or their holding company ever purchase Gamebryo or are they still licensing it? I can't imagine it would make financial sense to have a term license...perhaps they had a perpetual license that included access to the source code, or some similarly weird arrangement?

I think they changed it enough to be a different engine. It's called the "creation engine" now.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Ynglaur posted:

Gamebryo is just a renderer. The actual engine that handles all the code is 100% Bethesda.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The thieves guild quests are soooo bad lol. What's a good mod to kill them all without adding voice acting or whatever.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I mean come on that one guy comes up to a blood covered adventurer clad head to toe in heavy rear end armor and thinks he snuck off with it at adventurer mart lol

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Well, if you're not doing any stealing or whatever, why would you get approached?
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14157/ fixes that.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

IAmTheRad posted:

Well, if you're not doing any stealing or whatever, why would you get approached?
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14157/ fixes that.

^is really good if you want to avoid them completely or just hold off being a thief until you're actually good enough at it to get noticed

This one lets you put them in jail; I haven't tried it but had it on my list to eventually try out. This one by the same guy just lets you kill them but I haven't tried it either and would probably use the other because I do like most of the thief NPCs even if their questline kinda sucks.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Average Bear posted:

The thieves guild quests are soooo bad lol. What's a good mod to kill them all without adding voice acting or whatever.

Destroy the Thieves Guild . Kill them all!

Edit:Beaten

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

At one point I'd considered making a mod where an increasingly paranoid Commander Maro had you systematically destroying every organization and settlement in Skyrim.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

At one point I'd considered making a mod where an increasingly paranoid Commander Maro had you systematically destroying every organization and settlement in Skyrim.

Would it end with killing Commander Maro to cover all the paranoid bases?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Just posting some wisdom here: use All Geared Up instead of Equip Overhaul. EO has so many bugs in all its versions, like holding two weapons in one hand

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Did it say "you have unlocked a new perk"? If so that means you just automatically unlocked a milestone perk. Like 35 smithing or something.

Thanks, I'll check that.

ETA: Yes, that's what going on. I'm editing the file in Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins, so why aren't the changes being noted?

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 16, 2016

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
If you're using MO, you have to move the .ini file that comes with SPERG to the community uncapper folder.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Ok now I installed all geared up and whenever I open a container with a one handed weapon equipped it vanishes. Like it shows the handle still in the sheath when drawn. Anyone know what could be causing this? I'm about to abandon these kind of mods.

e: I got DSR with a fresh patch, FNIS, immersive animation, and the skeleton extender.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Thank you, that was my problem. I have 3 different locations of that file.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Average Bear posted:

Ok now I installed all geared up and whenever I open a container with a one handed weapon equipped it vanishes. Like it shows the handle still in the sheath when drawn. Anyone know what could be causing this? I'm about to abandon these kind of mods.

e: I got DSR with a fresh patch, FNIS, immersive animation, and the skeleton extender.
Probably DSR, it's not a good mod.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm going to get rid of DSR. It's always a headache and the only snowflake that needs its own patch every mod update.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's the best mod for making poisoned arrows? Applying poison to the bow just seems really off.
(And bow/arrow/archery mods in general)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Woo, found bugs in my own mod when I just wanted to change a couple of things!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
What's your favorite Skyrim bug fix? Mine is the update for Simply Knock that removed dogs being able to answer and unlock doors.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there a good alternative to DSR?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ynglaur posted:

Is there a good alternative to DSR?

What do you use it for specifically? Just positioning stuff on your back there are other mods - I use one for arrow quivers specifically instead of DSR but obviously that doesn't fix swords.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The "best" part of finding a bug in a mod you have made is to figure out where else you had issues. It wasn't something people would notice unless they went into the files themselves to see what was missing. The average user wouldn't even notice. I did when making a change for my own personal benefit for my own mod. Not to mention actually finding something after you thought you finished.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Whizbang posted:

What's your favorite Skyrim bug fix? Mine is the update for Simply Knock that removed dogs being able to answer and unlock doors.

I found that one :haw:
It's also my favorite because it's the only one I've ever found and reported.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My favorite bug that somebody reported for one of my mods was when a follower I created crashed their wedding and started killing everybody, when their character had never even met my follower.

It happened because I set the follower's aggression really high and then added her to "player faction" to keep her from attacking the player or their allies. "Player faction" is normally reserved for your bestest friends, like housecarls. It turns out anybody in that faction will show up at your wedding, and apparently if they're a psycho murderer they will start indiscriminately killing guests. The best part is that after the dust settled, the player got blamed for the follower's crimes and went to jail.

The lesson there is don't make your followers super aggressive to begin with.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Nerd Of Prey posted:

My favorite bug that somebody reported for one of my mods was when a follower I created crashed their wedding and started killing everybody, when their character had never even met my follower.

It happened because I set the follower's aggression really high and then added her to "player faction" to keep her from attacking the player or their allies. "Player faction" is normally reserved for your bestest friends, like housecarls. It turns out anybody in that faction will show up at your wedding, and apparently if they're a psycho murderer they will start indiscriminately killing guests. The best part is that after the dust settled, the player got blamed for the follower's crimes and went to jail.

You managed to inadvertantly recreate one of the best scenes from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

E:

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Lmao that rules

• Locked thread