Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I thought the gopro mount was a standard 1/4" tripod mount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought the gopro mount was a standard 1/4" tripod mount?

It's one of these base/arm combinations, being used at a slightly improper angle

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PCOS Bill posted:

I can't get my knockoff GoPro to not wobble around on its actual-GoPro mount and it's making me angry. Might just take it off and throw it at something.

Buy some real bolts and use them instead of the crap go pro bolts. Then use an allen key to tighten them down so they're really tight.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

builds character posted:

Buy some real bolts and use them instead of the crap go pro bolts. Then use an allen key to tighten them down so they're really tight.

I think it's the sticky base wobbling, it's like the whole thing. Or maybe it's the panel it's stuck to wobbling with its weight on it. The arm itself seems pretty stable. I dunno, it's not exactly The Most Important Thing Ever that I have a camera mounted, I just bought it for shits and giggles, and found some clearance GoPro brand accessories at Walmart

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Lol mid may in Ohio and it's in the 40s with rain.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm in Michigan and it's similar. What the gently caress.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same here, this is the season in the Midwest known as "All the racist fish-holders you know on Facebook post memes about how global warming is a scam because it's not 120 degrees every day of the year"

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Ola posted:

Friday the 13th.

Cold today, but really nice air to ride in. Went to buy a t-shirt in a sports store, didn't know there was a sale on, saved 30%. Then I arrived home, put on my hockey mask and murdered a bunch of teenagers.

Friday the 13th, alternator on my Cummins finally shits the bed.
Saturday the 14th, 45 degrees and overcast, riding to Autozone on the Fireblade.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Great riding weather her in Austin! Sorry for your loss

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Yeah but Austin lol

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It's been in the 70s and 80s most of the week here in the cold rainy PNW, sorry you all live on the wrong side of the rockies.

It did get colder today, it's only going to be 65 today.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Rain is coming for most of the week in ye PNW, but it's spring. People are forgetting it's supposed to rain until July 5th.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Day Man posted:

Great riding weather her in Austin! Sorry for your loss

It's raining right now in Austin.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Space Whale posted:

It's raining right now in Austin.

And it's gonna for days, which is super lame. I might go ride anyway.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

astrollinthepork posted:

Guess we picked the right weekend to leave for Deals Gap.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

predictive posted:

Only time I rode in Austin it was rainy.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

It's funny; I did the exact same thing.

The bolt extractors have not worked for me at all. What do y'all think of welding a nut onto the sheared end of the bolt and trying to use that to loosen it? I can't think of anything else.

I do this all the time, it works like a charm.

Only issue in my case is the sheared bolt being an 1/8 of an inch into the case.

Before I take everything apart, I will try and slowly build up the bead till I can get a rod welded to it and hope it doesn't just twist.

(I'll PB blast the poo poo out of it first for the best luck)

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

gently caress this spring poo poo.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

predictive posted:

I rode to work today. I ride to work every day.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Space Whale posted:

I was waiting to get my waterproof backpack before commuting rain or shine (so I didn't trash the laptop), but I guess I should order some rain gear. I went to pull out my insurance card this weekend and came out with wad of melted paper instead. Got a ziploc for the replacement.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Space Whale posted:

Ditto

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Another daily rider here. I don't even have a car right now since my wife takes our only other vehicle to work.

I don't mind getting rained on coming home but it's poo poo arriving to a full day sopping wet.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

No. 6 posted:

Another daily rider here. I don't even have a car right now since my wife takes our only other vehicle to work.

I don't mind getting rained on coming home but it's poo poo arriving to a full day sopping wet.

Make your next gear but a cheap rain suit. That or wear coveralls over your gear.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It just sucks arriving to work dripping all over everything, kind of a dick move imo.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Retarded Pimp posted:

It just sucks arriving to work dripping all over everything, kind of a dick move imo.

Boss should have built a tunnel from my house to work

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Stay out of my cubicle if you don't want my motorcycle weirdness on you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

Half-decent waterproofs are basically dry within a few seconds of you getting out of the rain. If you're still dripping wet by the time you get to your desk get better gear (or just buy a cheap oversuit and take it off and shake it as you get in).

I suppose I'm quite lucky because my company's very cycle-friendly so we have a changing area with drying racks, lockers, and even a tumble dryer (and you've not lived until you've done a conference call in your underwear waiting for your stuff to dry) but seriously, unless your colleagues are teleporting from their cars to the front door they're coming in wetter (and dripping more) than you are unless you've got the shittiest inner-shell gear going.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Half-decent waterproofs are basically dry within a few seconds of you getting out of the rain. If you're still dripping wet by the time you get to your desk get better gear (or just buy a cheap oversuit and take it off and shake it as you get in).

Certainly true of my trousers, which I can pretty much shake off to dry. Now I just need a coat to match, some kind of light compressible mac in a pack probably (and also a helmet that doesn't leak)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Suggestions for good waterproof gear?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Certainly true of my trousers, which I can pretty much shake off to dry. Now I just need a coat to match, some kind of light compressible mac in a pack probably (and also a helmet that doesn't leak)

Just go to Sports Direct and get one of those unlined golf jackets for like 15 quid, they're perfect - pack down nice and small, very waterproof, and cheap enough to be effectively disposable.

Alternatively, bin bags and insulating tape can keep you bone dry for when all else fails and you have to get from Devon to London in the middle of the Great British Summer.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

What kind of budget, what kind of weather, what kind of riding?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

PCOS Bill posted:

I've been pretty happy with my Klim Goretex gear. It's not cheap, but I got it all used.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PCOS Bill posted:

Number one recommendation is don't bother with "breathable" stuff, just buy plastic hardshell a size or two up. Proper goretex or whatever costs a mint and the sweating problem that non-breathable hardshell has (where the inside ends up wetter than the outside) is entirely mitigated by upsizing.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just go to Sports Direct and get one of those unlined golf jackets for like 15 quid, they're perfect - pack down nice and small, very waterproof, and cheap enough to be effectively disposable.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking, I just need to go do it.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 17, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What kind of budget, what kind of weather, what kind of riding?

I don't even know what kind of numbers to throw out for a budget, year round in PA so everything from hot day with drizzling to single digits and snow, tons of highway, little bit of everything else.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

goddamnedtwisto posted:

but seriously, unless your colleagues are teleporting from their cars to the front door they're coming in wetter (and dripping more) than you are unless you've got the shittiest inner-shell gear going.

Or old stuff!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Frogg Toggs are pretty inexpensive and I've found them effective. They're lightweight so even in summer they aren't too bad.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I really really like my Klim Badlands suit, but yeah, it's pricey.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've got a Frog Toggs jacket that I love, had it for several years now. It doesn't leak a drop and I've ridden through a handful of brutal storms in it in addition to normal rain and snow use off the bike. Doesn't pack down small, but it's been the best piece of weather gear I've ever owned.

Edit:
This thing. It can't be killed.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 18, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't even know what kind of numbers to throw out for a budget, year round in PA so everything from hot day with drizzling to single digits and snow, tons of highway, little bit of everything else.

Well my default advice is just buy a cheap oversuit or separate trousers and jacket and keep them in your bag. That'll cover most eventualities and give you a lot more flexibility, especially if you're riding through summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Day Man posted:

I really really like my Klim Badlands suit, but yeah, it's pricey.

Have you done lube or something with the zippers btw? Some of my front 4 chest ventilation zippers are starting to get a little stiff to operate and I don't wanna break a tooth on them. I'm talking about the ones with the big plastic teeth.