Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

Also I wonder what name Rhaegar and Lyanna would've actually wanted

Steve. Steve Targaryan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Rhaegar would have named the kid after his loyal friend Jon Connington - wait

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Grouchio posted:

I wish GRRM had more consistency as to why the Starks would just constantly get poo poo thrown on them after 8000 years of prospering in the north and almost die out because of Rhaegar loving Targaryen.

Because the starks are dumb as hell. They do fine if you just leave them to the north and don't like, interact with them. But once they start meddling with things they stick firmly to the assumption that they're right no matter what and then gently caress up and die. Ned died because he was dumb. Sansa got him killed because she was dumb. Robb died because he's dumb. Jon died because he, too, is dumb.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GaussianCopula posted:

Is it rushed though? It almost feels like they are going back to the pieces in the books they skipped previously, e.g. the Kingsmoot, Siege of Mereen, fun in the Riverlands even the ToJ scene is already covered in book 1 and even the Dorne plot just takes us to a point somewhere between the ending of ADWD and TWOW

The only genuinely new material they used so far is Jon's resurrection.

I really don't understand what the Greyjoys have to contribute. Anything significant could have been transfered to someone else I'm sure. When they remake this stupid story in 10 years it will be nice to see it sleek and refined. I wonder if it will even be interesting or hold up at all.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Didn't GRRM intend for it to be a giant mystery and basically throw a decades long hissy fit when people almost instantly figured it out?

Personally I wouldn't have figured it out. I ended up in the forums after book 3 and it never even occurred to me. I pretty much took things at face value. I assumed Lyanna died of some plague or something. But I'm also the kind of reader that skips through prophecy bullshit, and skims lots of stuff. Which worked out well because I've had loving years for re-reads. I also didn't care that much who Jon's mother was.. I mean I tried to sort it out once or twice from the wet nurse clues, and whoever the gently caress Ashara Dayne was, but I generally just let that stuff go and enjoy the reveal when it shows up later. I enjoy those " NO WAY!!!" moments too much to treat books like a detective novel.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Linguica posted:

Rhaegar would have named the kid after his loyal friend Jon Connington - wait

Now that you mentioned it I could actually see that reveal happening in the books. That was the name Rhaegar wanted for that reason and it worked for Ned because he also happened to have a close friend named Jon. Could be an interesting thing that gets brought up if Jon S and Jon C ever meet.

Or, what would be equally as interesting, is if those two met after Jon S discovers his parentage, and tells Connington his name and that he's the son of Rhaegar Targaryen, and then Connington is SUPER flattered and giddy and Snow has to awkwardly explain the real reason to him.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 14, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Because the starks are dumb as hell. They do fine if you just leave them to the north and don't like, interact with them. But once they start meddling with things they stick firmly to the assumption that they're right no matter what and then gently caress up and die. Ned died because he was dumb. Sansa got him killed because she was dumb. Robb died because he's dumb. Jon died because he, too, is dumb.

except the starks were right. it was the other people that were wrong.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The people of the North have always been dumb, it's not just Starks.

In that history book of Westeros there is an entry about some war where the elite troops of the North, called the Wolfpack or something, beg to be allowed to act as the vanguard on a terribly planned, no hope of success assault.

Every single one of them get slaughtered.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

bbf2 posted:

Now that you mentioned it I could actually see that reveal happening in the books. That was the name Rhaegar wanted for that reason and it worked for Ned because he also happened to have a close friend named Jon. Could be an interesting thing that gets brought up if Jon S and Jon C ever meet.

Or, what would be equally as interesting, is if those two met after Jon S discovers his parentage, and tells Connington his name and that he's the son of Rhaegar Targaryen, and then Connington is SUPER flattered and giddy and Snow has to awkwardly explain the real reason to him.

I always thought Arthur Dayne was Rhaegar's best friend and that Jon Connington was projecting a bit

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Adun posted:

Also I wonder what name Rhaegar and Lyanna would've actually wanted

Raemon

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Supposedly a genuine leak of next ep:

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Sounds about right.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

The people of the North have always been dumb, it's not just Starks.

In that history book of Westeros there is an entry about some war where the elite troops of the North, called the Wolfpack or something, beg to be allowed to act as the vanguard on a terribly planned, no hope of success assault.

Every single one of them get slaughtered.

I love the chapter about the north having too many men so sent all the extra ones south specifically to die in some war.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Raemon14 to the Night's Watch: "Wintuh is coming... awe... you... weddy..."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
An actual Stark reunion? That feels so wrong.

Also it's getting weirder and weirder that Varys and Tyrion are in charge of Mereen. It's not like Dany pointed at them as she was flying away and said "Everyone do what they say while I'm gone." Grey Worm's in charge of a bunch of troops, which is a decent basis for power, so they should just be his advisers.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 14, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It's kind of clear nobody is really ruling. It's just Danaerys' council using their influence to keep everything together. It's a defacto oligarchy right now. You have three educated people and what's basically a warlord. Varys is a master of espionage who is no stranger to this situation, Tyrion a know-it-all drunk with some experience acting as the hand to incompetent/absentee kings that's also dealt with sieges, Missandei is a capable translator/diplomat, and Grey Worm commands the allegedly elite spearmen who fight in dark claustrophobic corridors.

If this was baldurs gate/pillars of eternity, they'd be a very solid party for dealing with the upcoming encounter.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That sounds pretty...good? I don't know what to feel right now!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
No one cares that Meryn Trant was murdered.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

hemophilia posted:

iirc r+l=j is basically laid out in A Game Of Thrones, but I came into this really late, I read the first book slightly ahead of the first season so everything had been speculated inside and out by then. I don't know when fans pieced it together, but fairly early I imagine.

I read the early books as they were coming out [1] and was also on Usenet back then. Cannot actually remember if I came up with the theory independently or not but I personally remember it being discussed no later than the year 2000 when book 3 was new, probably a good bit earlier than that too.

[1] Started either shortly before or shortly after book 2 came out, because I didn't have long to wait between #1 and #2 but did have to wait for #3. Well, what we thought was "waiting" back then.

Groke fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 14, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

this_is_hard posted:

Supposedly a genuine leak of next ep:

quote:

Tyrion saves slavery is bad and they cant own other people

haha

Kevan got some balls though. Shutting down Jaime and making him feel dumb.

The Dany plot sound super stupid so of course these leaks are real.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It does sound genuine. If not they clearly put some work into this one.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
If you can read that broken English, heavily condensed plot summary and think you can make any judgment as to the quality of the episode, you are way too fuckin cynical.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

my only thought is that the spoilers say they're murdering other khals at Vaes Dothrak

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mons Hubris posted:

Raemon14 to the Night's Watch: "Wintuh is coming... awe... you... weddy..."

THEY BWEW THE HOWN OF JOWAMUN

THE WAW IS COMING DOWN

HOWY poo poo

HOWY poo poo

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

stinkles1112 posted:

If you can read that broken English, heavily condensed plot summary and think you can make any judgment as to the quality of the episode, you are way too fuckin cynical.

It sounds p good

I liked the part where everyone is either trying to rape Dany or make her a crone and she runs around like the last girl in a horror movie

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If that spoiler is true, it's weird they went through all this trouble for the dragon reveal so Dany can get the loyalty of the Khals. In the book the Khalesaar rides up to Dany as she's eating with Drogon and it's pretty clear there will be a bunch of politicking and negotiation when she takes Drogon to the Dothraki city, but for some reason they decided to go with the regular sitcom drama because i guess that wild horsemen can't be convinced with words.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Demiurge4 posted:

If that spoiler is true, it's weird they went through all this trouble for the dragon reveal so Dany can get the loyalty of the Khals. In the book the Khalesaar rides up to Dany as she's eating with Drogon and it's pretty clear there will be a bunch of politicking and negotiation when she takes Drogon to the Dothraki city, but for some reason they decided to go with the regular sitcom drama because i guess that wild horsemen can't be convinced with words.

um they can be convinced with rape.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

um they can be convinced with rape. maybe drogon should have raped them all

this year captain capslock is a writer on the show.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Demiurge4 posted:

Time wasting obviously. Dany needs to return to Meereen with the dothraki by her side at the end of the season.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Littlefinger found out pretty fast about Roose and Stannis getting killed. I guess he upgraded his spy network after they forgot to mention the whole "Ramsey is a sadistic lunatic" thing before he gave Sansa over. Also this will be the second time in like 5 episodes that Drogon swoops in at the last moment to rescue Dany. I mean I guess they might have some kind of magic/psychic connection or something but it's a little trite.

Kevan owning people left and right is cool though. Too bad he's gonna die :(

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

stinkles1112 posted:

This thread is full of GBS tards who hate everything and everyone

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

stinkles1112 posted:

The fact they get several basic names wrong, yet know Damphair's name and seem to assume everyone reading also knows who he is, is suspicious. Am I misremembering or has his only appearance on the show so far been one where both his role and name weren't mentioned?

Also, I highly doubt the whole dothraki captive thing is getting resolved next episode. Like, that'd be a great move. But it's not gonna loving happen, lol. And if they seriously go right back to the threat of raping Dany as a source of tension after just having resolved it, I'm out. I'm done. Even the worst Showtime writer would laugh that script out of the room.

Pyzza Rouge fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 14, 2016

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
I forget, did Jon and Sansa share any special scenes together in season 1? They were never close in the books, so I wonder whether the show will comment on this.

(of course it won't)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

"Everyone tries to rape Dany and then she gets saved by dragon ex machina" sounds stupid enough for this to be 100% real, honestly. Also rehashing the "she's immune to fire so the khalasar is awed by her" bit sounds right up the show's alley, people liked it the first time right?

Linguica fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 14, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Anonymous John posted:

I forget, did Jon and Sansa share any special scenes together in season 1? They were never close in the books, so I wonder whether the show will comment on this.

(of course it won't)

I don't think they even share the same frame.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Pyzza Rouge posted:

The fact they get several basic names wrong, yet know Damphair's name and seem to assume everyone reading also knows who he is, is suspicious. Am I misremembering or has his only appearance on the show so far been one where both his role and name weren't mentioned?

Not really. This would be his real introduction and they'd have to name him.

If I recall correctly the Blackfish was never referred to as 'Brynden.'

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Linguica posted:

"Everyone tries to rape Dany and then she gets saved by dragon ex machina" sounds stupid enough for this to be 100% real, honestly. Also rehashing the "she's immune to fire so the khalasar is awed by her" bit sounds right up the show's alley, people liked it the first time right?

It's also making GBS threads all over GRRM, who says that Dany isn't immune to fire, the dragon birth was a one-off blood magic thing. So I expect D&D to do it.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
That summary is basically the preview-trailer with filler around the edges, so I doubt it's real.

It even has the same chronology, which makes it double suspicious.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I like Kevan Lannister a whole lot.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
The earliest recorded mention I have seen of R+L=J is an interview that took place with GRRM before the release of ASOS, where it was one of the first things brought up by the interviewer. It's the same interview where he confirmed that a Great Council could relieve someone of the Night's Watch vows (which was offered for Aemon, but he refused). It is still archived online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
If you write something that has any sort of popularity and leave any hints at all, poo poo is going to be found out. That's just the way it works especially in the era of the internet. And any old jokebag can just fire up whatever wiki and then go crowing on message boards about how 'obvious' that twist was. It's just gonna happen.

• Locked thread