Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

VoLaTiLe posted:

My PC needs an upgrade, I could get this for PS4 but I just have a feeling that this game needs to be played on a high performance PC.

Glad they have done Doom justice though I have good memorys of the original game

The game looks gorgeous and runs amazingly on PS4. 1080p and 60fps. If more detailed textures are enough to stop you from playing this fun as gently caress game any time soon then that's your choice I guess.

I'm sitting on the couch with a beer and ripping and tearing :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was completely wrong about my impressions of this game. DOOM is cool. I love the map design and the sense of humor, it definitely knows how to take the piss out of modern military shooter campaigns. It runs at an absolutely perfect 60 fps at Ultra on my 980ti and the only thing I've noticed is so texture pop-in. I don't even think the multiplayer is that bad. v:v:v

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I am still a bit dismayed that this can't keep 60fps at all times on my PC even on low settings (though at low settings just a few particle effects here and there cause it to drop to 30). It beats the PS4 in every area as far as I know and every other cross platform game looks and performs better on it.

Edit: even on ultra though it never drops below 30, so I don't really know what is going on.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I am still a bit dismayed that this can't keep 60fps at all times on my PC even on low settings (though at low settings just a few particle effects here and there cause it to drop to 30). It beats the PS4 in every area as far as I know and every other cross platform game looks and performs better on it.

Edit: even on ultra though it never drops below 30, so I don't really know what is going on.

You might be CPU limited.

Anyhow, judging from the response DooM has been getting, this game isn't going to be dropping in price any time soon, so I went ahead and picked a code up from CDKeys.com for 37 buxx, which is probably as good as next year's steam sale price will be.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Game runs real smooth on my Ivy Bridge i5 and GTX970. TNO taught me that iD games really hate AMD/ATI hardware so I'm real glad I have zero issues with Doom 4.

Can someone confirm if there's any performance difference between installing it on an SSD vs HDD? 50 Gigs is a huge chunk on my poor little 250GB Evo.

EDIT: Thank you for clearing that up for me. Doom is the only game I have installed on the SSD at the moment so it's a moot point anyway.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 14, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Starhawk64 posted:

Game runs real smooth on my Ivy Bridge i5 and GTX970. TNO taught me that iD games really hate AMD/ATI hardware so I'm real glad I have zero issues with Doom 4.

Can someone confirm if there's any performance difference between installing it on an SSD vs HDD? 50 Gigs is a huge chunk on my poor little 250GB Evo.

I haven't seen any difference between my 850 pro and normal 7200rpm hdd. Only thing I see if that on the SSD multiplayer will load to 91% instantly and then it sits there for 20 seconds before going into the match start. on the HDD it loads up to that point at a slower smoother pace but still takes like 20 seconds, other wise I haven't noticed any performance gains.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ever since Nvidia released Game Ready drivers for Doom, earlier today, the game runs with rock solid 60 fps.

Also, MAN! I got to the Cyber Demon and he's a proper loving old-school FPS boss fight.
With attacks patterns. Bullet Hell-style attacks. Weak points. loving amazing!

Does anyone know how long the game is and/or how many boss fights there are in the game? I got my first boss fight 9 missions in.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Is this game suitable for my 8 year old son?

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

I love that.
"Fa-la-la-la-la"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vince MechMahon posted:

The most frustrating thing in the world is going through an entire level and getting all the secrets, and collectibles, and filling out the map so it's totally blue...and then seeing you have somehow missed a single secret somewhere and having no loving idea where it could possibly be.

Like that guy who got his hand stuck in the Pringles can in Clerks... sometimes you gotta let those hard to reach ones go.

Hot drat this game is GOTYing all over my face

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Otakufag posted:

Yes, you'd be a bad parent to not let your 8 year old experience Doom.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
The only thing better than this game is all the people who kept posting that terrible, lovely joke are now eating their words.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Starhawk64 posted:

Hmm, that's mine except with a 960 instead of a 970. Also, it very precisely goes down to 60 to 30fps when the frame rate drops. Is that intentional?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Otakufag posted:

Depends: You gonna give him mountain dew code red and pump in some heavy metal music before hand? If he's not blitzed out of his mind on caffeine and Metallica while playing he's not getting the true multi-generational doom experience.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Otakufag posted:

My parents didn't let me get DOOM when I was 10, which led to an uncomfortable friendship with future stoner Randy Stein because his absentee parents didn't give a gently caress, and four years of hanging with the wrong crowd all throughout high school just because I wanted to play a video game. Don't let your son be subjected to the same fate.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Otakufag posted:

Hahahahaha

But seriously I was playing original Doom and Doom II co-op with my dad every other day with my dad when I was 7 (and then Duke Nukem 3D co-op) and I've barely shot up any schools

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hmm, that's mine except with a 960 instead of a 970. Also, it very precisely goes down to 60 to 30fps when the frame rate drops. Is that intentional?

With VSync enabled your framerate will go to a fraction of your monitor's refresh rate if it can't handle the full 60. Try turning it off.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I think I was about 5 or 6 when my dad would let chill on his lap and play Wolf3D or Doom with him. :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

With VSync enabled your framerate will go to a fraction of your monitor's refresh rate if it can't handle the full 60. Try turning it off.
Oh yeah, I set that to be globally on some months ago to deal with some other game being lovely, so it wasn't responding to whether I turned it on or off in the game. I turned it to game controlled and now it just drops to 50 or so instead of 30. That will definitely do.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

VoLaTiLe posted:

My PC needs an upgrade, I could get this for PS4 but I just have a feeling that this game needs to be played on a high performance PC.

Glad they have done Doom justice though I have good memorys of the original game

Apparently id sacrificed a small goat to the Gods, the PS4 version is a near flawless 1080p60.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhhsmcoYybc

If you're not happy with your PC, you really can't go wrong with the PS4 version. It's a fantastic port. The Xbone version isn't quite there but is still an acceptable alternative for those with older PCs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Set VSync to Adaptive (or Off but Adaptive is flat out better) in the options. That'll fix that.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ohhhh gently caress yeah! Doom hype! This is deffo my Game of the Year. 6 hour campaign, epic multiplayer, and incredible snap map with 2 weapon limits. HYYYPPEEEE!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo the boss fights are awesome too. I killed the Cyberdemon pretty easily, and the Hell Guards... holy poo poo. So much fun.

I loving love this game's soundtrack. It's either ominous background noise or METAL AS gently caress. There is no in-between.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
I fell into the lava on foundry and he done the unclebob thumbs up from terminator 2 lmao

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Black Baby Goku posted:

Ohhhh gently caress yeah! Doom hype! This is deffo my Game of the Year. 6 hour campaign, epic multiplayer, and incredible snap map with 2 weapon limits. HYYYPPEEEE!

Look out lads! There's an unfunny imp zone reject who clearly hasn't played the game spotted :laugh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well I bought the game and after the bethsoft logo skipping horribly and then freezing, and then disabling intro videos in my launch options, I am now treated to a permanent black screen when I launch this video game. cool

edit: on the 8th launch, it inexplicably worked and now does not have sound. cool

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 14, 2016

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
Gorenest time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFDc-Tir4bI&t=20s

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
First sojourn into Hell and I'm recreating the Benny Hill chase but with Hell Knights, switching through the guns to find one with ammo

Fun game but I'm finding the ammo just a tad stingy and I don't want to waste the chainsaw to refill.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

widespread posted:

Speaking of, why would they be an option if I've just a 750Ti? I mean, it's not like I can actually see these MegaTextures. Maybe do an R6:S and have MegaTextures be a separate download.

You're seeing them constantly, megatextures are how the game maps are built. It doesn't just mean high res standard textures!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

monkeu posted:

Look out lads! There's an unfunny imp zone reject who clearly hasn't played the game spotted :laugh:

Oh poo poo. We have a turned off monitor. Repeat, a monitor that is turned off!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there some setting somewhere I need to change to not have my performance be crappy? Like, is there some setting that just tanks your performance when you have it enabled? Because my PC is more than capable of maxing out modern games in 1080p but so far my fps has been nauseatingly jumpy.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Do I need to finish Doom 3 to understand the intricate plot of this game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

General tech question, since this happens in every game: I am running this on a laptop with a GTX970M card in it. Every FPS that I play where it has an issue where if I move really quickly then I get screen tearing diagonally across the screen, even with vsync turned on in-game. Does anyone else have this issue? It seems fairly common with some of the more recent Nvidia cards.

CJacobs posted:

Well I bought the game and after the bethsoft logo skipping horribly and then freezing, and then disabling intro videos in my launch options, I am now treated to a permanent black screen when I launch this video game. cool

edit: on the 8th launch, it inexplicably worked and now does not have sound. cool

Obvious question, but do you have the most recent drivers? Bethesda games are infamous for doing exactly that unless you have the very latest drivers that whoever puts out.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Szymanski posted:

First sojourn into Hell and I'm recreating the Benny Hill chase but with Hell Knights, switching through the guns to find one with ammo

Fun game but I'm finding the ammo just a tad stingy and I don't want to waste the chainsaw to refill.

I used my all my argent powerups on ammo cap limit, plus a rune where enemies and pickups give more ammo. The chainsaw is specifically for ammo refilling by the way. Its usefulness is high against demons you have a hard time fighting against, but the primary purpose is to refill your stock. It's a good feedback circle.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Otakufag posted:

Is the intro for Power Rangers enough for you to understand what's going on in that show? If so then you are probably ok here.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The only actual reference to Doom 3 are the hellknights. It's like Doom 3 never existed.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Black Baby Goku posted:

Oh poo poo. We have a turned off monitor. Repeat, a monitor that is turned off!

Tell us more about how many months you've spent aimlessly and wildly speculating that an unreleased game wasn't going to be good.

Would you characterize your recent extremely weak attempt at trolling this thread as a knee jerk reaction to the fact that this game has been widely received as both cool and good? What do you think you might do with your life now? :laugh:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Otakufag posted:

Here's a plot recap. One time there were demons. You killed the demons. Now you woke up in a sarcophagus so whatever kill more demons I guess

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Obvious question, but do you have the most recent drivers? Bethesda games are infamous for doing exactly that unless you have the very latest drivers that whoever puts out.

I thought I had, but I'll check anyway and see if that helps.

Also how do I turn off the sound that plays when you do a brutal kill, it's annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

monkeu posted:

Tell us more about how many months you've spent aimlessly and wildly speculating that an unreleased game wasn't going to be good.

how anyone can poo poo on anything when they have like 4000 hours in loving dota2 is beyond me but they have my deepest sympathies