Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm 40 minutes into The Cannonball Run and they're just now getting the race started, get your poo poo together guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

mariooncrack posted:

Be careful going to the bathroom :supaburn:

I have done this it does not feel awesome!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit. Went to top off the ac in mom's car (again) today. Was getting close to fully charged (going both by pressures and the sight glass)... then realized I was hearing hissing. And it was getting louder.

.... the high side hose to the gauges was leaking at a fitting, and was literally getting worse by the moment. Shut the car off and got some heavy gloves and a towel before disconnecting that fucker. I've noticed that the low side gauge would fog up anytime the gauges were hooked up lately, so I'll probably just trash this lovely set and go get some slightly less lovely Harbor Fright gauges tomorrow.

trouser chili posted:

The Odyssey is a rolling tank. Probably the safest drat vehicle on the road. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found the Odyssey to have the lowest overall driver death rate in its class with 0 deaths per million registered years. The NHTSA gives the current gen Odyssey five stars.

I saw a newish Odyssey get t-boned a couple of years ago. Every airbag went off, and the driver was dazed enough that they just kept rolling for about half a mile, but no injuries beyond whiplash.

Great Beer posted:

I was tricked into eating a habanero then touched my face and oh god it just keeps getting worse D:

Try going to piss afterwards instead. You'll never ever ever ever ever make that mistake again.

fyodor posted:

I have done this it does not feel awesome!

oh goddamnit.

jamal posted:

Yeah it is number of meats x number of cheeses. 2x1 is definitely something that gets ordered. I get 3x3s occasionally but don't think I've ever gone 4x4. And you can order basically as many as you want and could end up with something like this:

I remember that thread, it was some kid on the [H] forums, right? IIRC he got sick as poo poo halfway through eating it.

SouthsideSaint posted:

we once put crushed habenero seed powder in a pair of gloves at Jimmy Johns. Our manager put them on and made sandwiches like normal. She went to the bathroom and the screams we heard were hilarious and terrifying.

You're a loving terrible person and I love you for this.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 14, 2016

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rhyno posted:

It's incredibly easy to install if you're even slightly handy. My brother and installed it in every room of the second floor of our mothers house. Just buy a cheap install kit at Harbor Freight, watch a few videos on YT and go for it.

It also helps to have a chop saw handy, cutting the planks by hand sucks. And if you want to go crazy and have a dremmel for fitting around small things like closet corners it doesn't hurt to have that around.

Welp. I just spent $800 at Lowes (though 300 of that was on paint). What kind of blade did you use in your chop saw? That seems like it would save a lot of time, but I've never really used my miter saw for anything but wood.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
there's probably somewhere else I should ask, but: what do we think of a Toyota Starlet GT turbo?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Magnus Praeda posted:

Welp. I just spent $800 at Lowes (though 300 of that was on paint). What kind of blade did you use in your chop saw? That seems like it would save a lot of time, but I've never really used my miter saw for anything but wood.

I honestly don't remember what blade I used to be honest. I just told the guy at Menards what I was doing and what kind of saw we were using.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Wrar posted:

You am I is in Australia so I'm not sure if there is a distinction, but in the US it recognizes you are acting legally in their interest AFAIK.

in the US, it means you can act on the parties behalf either in their absence or if they are not of sound mind, if it's for a medical condition then you need to be named on an advanced directive.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Magnus Praeda posted:

Head over to DIY!

You will generally want a high-tooth count 5 degree or less rake finish blade. There are laminate specific blades, but I've never bothered. Oh and don't spend $100+ on a blade- buy a mid range $40 80T blade and it will happily last the life of your project.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

You Am I posted:

I have all the power of attorney paperwork, but for some reason the state government won't allow that to happen. Trust me I have been following the rule of law with this as closely as possible, as I don't want this to bite me on the arse

I have power of attorney, but for some reason the State Government demands that I have my father's details as he (as well as I) has his name on the title of the property.

That fuckin sucks dude :( Here the process was remarkably straightforward and everyone involved was really helpful. Even the lawyer bills were very reasonable. (Probably because they come out of the estate I guess)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Being John Malkovich is such a loving good movie.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

the spyder posted:

Head over to DIY!

You will generally want a high-tooth count 5 degree or less rake finish blade. There are laminate specific blades, but I've never bothered. Oh and don't spend $100+ on a blade- buy a mid range $40 80T blade and it will happily last the life of your project.

I post in the woodworking thread all the time (and just got some advice on building a bookcase there).

Something like this, then?

This weekend is painting, though.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Spending the next week on the Gulf coast and proposing to my GF while down there so wish me luck dudes.

We've talked about it enough that's it not really going to be a huge surprise to her, it's just the formality of the thing has me nervous. :shobon:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Previa_fun posted:

Spending the next week on the Gulf coast and proposing to my GF while down there so wish me luck dudes.

We've talked about it enough that's it not really going to be a huge surprise to her, it's just the formality of the thing has me nervous. :shobon:

Good luck!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Previa_fun posted:

Sounds like you don't need luck so Ill just give you a pre-congratulations!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Ugh, stupid random night shift on Thursday hosed up my Friday. I went to take a quick nap at 6P and go to the bar later. Well I just woke up at 3A... Whoops.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The WRX not only started but moved under its own power for more than 5 meters. It's off to Dad's place so he can finish the trim and the front bumper / register it.

Now I have the RX7 in the garage and.... dunno what I'm goign to do with it as yet.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Good luck dude!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

iwentdoodie posted:

Being John Malkovich is such a loving good movie.

Malkovich malkovich!

Malkovich malkovich malkovich.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gimpsuitjones posted:

there's probably somewhere else I should ask, but: what do we think of a Toyota Starlet GT turbo?

Tiny turbocharged hatchbacks are awesome.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

gimpsuitjones posted:

Hilarious amounts of fun. Do it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Cakefool posted:

So I thought getting into archery... shot like 60 arrows max.

Sometimes I pay to use a range near a friends place and some people shoot about 1 arrow for every 5 minutes spent on range, even logging each shot with the individual arrow used. It's fine when the range is near empty and I can use a few targets at once and shoot a bunch before collecting but other times its a right pain in the arse.

Tbh, when starting out you don't want to shoot too many in a day though- it's very easy to keep shooting all day and not really notice how bad you are pulling everything till the next day, even with a kids draw weight bow, as I found the last time I took my daughter shooting.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Apparently I have good form and I've not yet come away having pulled a muscle. I understand getting the kit set up right is important but I'm looking forward to just working on my grouping rather than tweaking the bow.

Also I need to lift a weight, as this bow is forged and the one the club leant me was plastic :v: what's a good source of starter info/advice?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Brigdh posted:

I mostly shrug my shoulders and try not to think about it too much. If I do, I start wondering how the world keeps spinning, because I've run into these issues at pretty much every big company.
Everyone feels this way about where they work. My experience is that Office Space and Dilbert are often toe-curlingly accurate.

:(: "Why are you adding cost to this part?"

:confused: "Oh, yeah, we're not, actually. For some reason, the system had a book time of 2m50s for machining, and they were taking 5m to do the op. But we got it properly set up and timed down to 3m40s, so adjusted the book figure to that"

:(: "So you've added 50 seconds to the op? That adds cost!"

:confused: "Well, on the system it does look like that, but what we've really done is save 1m20s over what they were actually doing, and 'unhide' the extra expense so our costs are accurate now"

:(: "But it's an additional 50s of time per part, we need to justify that extra cost."

:confused: "It's not actually an extra cost, it was just a hidden cost we were always paying for without it being directly accounted for, and we've now both recognised that so the book figures are accurate, and cut it down a fair chunk, so it's a saving"

:(: "The time's longer on the system, that costs more"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was at a completely ridiculous 80s-style thrash metal street concert yesterday.

Warpigs Brewpub* and Mikkeller somehow decided to host an old-school free street concert featuring "Stormtroopers of Beer", consisting Danny Lilker (SOD, Nuclear Assault etc.) on bass, Tompa from At The Gates and a dude from Mikkeller's warehouse on vocals, as well as Adde and Jocke from General Surgery on drums and guitar.

They played through the whole Speak English or Die album, as well as some random other thrashy classics. I have never in my life seens a mosh pit start up that quickly and that brutally before in my life. People were flying all over the place, knocking over microphones and poo poo, just going completely insane.

What a goddamn concert that was. And of course Danny Lilker was awesome as always. I may have called him "thrash metal royalty" when I met him last year, and I stand by that 100% :)

* Yes, this place is every bit as awesome as its name suggests :rock:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Everywhere you go, no matter the place, no matter the industry, when you peel back the curtain, everything is held together with duct tape and prayers.

I find this very liberating tbh, it's nice to know nobody actually has any idea what the gently caress they're doing so why should I be different

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

I remember that thread, it was some kid on the [H] forums, right? IIRC he got sick as poo poo halfway through eating it.

What an amateur

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

literally a fish posted:

Everywhere you go, no matter the place, no matter the industry, when you peel back the curtain, everything is held together with duct tape and prayers.

I find this very liberating tbh, it's nice to know nobody actually has any idea what the gently caress they're doing so why should I be different

Amazing how anything gets done TBH. Cause this is the absolute truth

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The Peter Principal is 100% real.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Wrar posted:

The Peter Principal is 100% real.

Especially in academia. Oh, you're an English instructor? *ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR HAS DEVOLVED INTO A DEAN* congrats! Now.. You manage other English instructors? Huh.. Well, not sure how that English degree set you up for management.. But, welp here we are.. Then we get to hear about their unique not getting paid enough to English and Dean bullshit and that's when you know someone has reached peak Peter Principle. You can substitute English with math, music, philsosphy, art, etc.. And the same thing will happen. Most of them have no loving clue what a budget, what it entails, and how to stay within one.

Fun fact: at one point in 2008, we had a surplus of 13 million. 11 million was taken away and given to colleges/UC's that don't know the difference between a budget and a hole in the ground. Our 11 million went to UC Berkeley who was roughly 150 million in the hole. The Peter Principle doesn't end on your level, it goes all the way to the top including the Chancellor's office.

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 14, 2016

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cakefool posted:

Apparently I have good form and I've not yet come away having pulled a muscle. I understand getting the kit set up right is important but I'm looking forward to just working on my grouping rather than tweaking the bow.

Also I need to lift a weight, as this bow is forged and the one the club leant me was plastic :v: what's a good source of starter info/advice?

There's a good archery thread here

I haven't been able to shoot for a couple of months due to straining a muscle. It sucks

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Here's my neat car post for this weekend:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

You're a loving terrible person and I love you for this.

She was a cool manager so she only was a little pissed and made me do a bar rush shift as payback. But this is also the lady who got hammered at our area managers house and left her an upper decker and peed in her shoes...

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
There's something about that first warm and sunny Saturday of the year. Break out the mower and throw on some music. Finish the yard and grab a cold drink of choice. Look up and it's not even noon time yet.

Anyway, the wife is looking at ~2012 TDI Sportwagens to replace her Jeep. Anything we should look out for? The prices are very nice right now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Previa_fun posted:

Dude you've got this, congratulations!

literally a fish posted:

So drat true it's scary. At every level it's just fancier duct tape. I spent most of my day yesterday driving, seven hour round trip, to spend less than an hour on site looking at something. The customer demanded an engineer on site to look at a couple things, didn't even fix anything just voiced my opinion on a few things.

Noise Complaint posted:

Anyway, the wife is looking at ~2012 TDI Sportwagens to replace her Jeep. Anything we should look out for? The prices are very nice right now.
Haven't heard any horror stories from the couple people I know that have them, they love them. Prices may drop a little more once everyone gets their $5k from VW for depreciation.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cakefool posted:

I have a 68# longbow that I haven't shot in probably 25 years. I don't have anyplace near me to shoot it, so even though I sort of want to get back into archery, I haven't. I'm also afraid that I probably need to buy a cheapo fiberglass bow to get the form and muscles working so that the big bow doesn't cause me to hurt myself.

I think the closest archery shop is about 30 miles from my house, and the closest range is further than that. There is a range by my office, but I tend to go to the gym after my in-office days, and I think it would be a bad idea to stop doing that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

There's actually an archery range on site at work, which is pretty cool. I've never used it, don't own a bow.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Guys we only have so much discretionary cash to add some sort of facility for the employees. Basketball court? Gym?

Aah yes that's a great one! Archery course!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fyodor posted:

Guys we only have so much discretionary cash to add some sort of facility for the employees. Basketball court? Gym?

Aah yes that's a great one! Archery course!

It used to be a pistol range.

My employer has a lot of unused land, and as far as I can tell the range is maintained solely out of the small membership fee... I mean, it's a gravel parking lot, a dozen dirt lanes with straw bales at the end, and some benches to set your poo poo on.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, I saw that it used the same crappy GM V6 with the timing chain issues. Damnit. There isn't even an option with those cars, the 3.6 comes on all of them. :(

What about a 97x? The nickname is Trollblazer so it'd work well with your avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

freelop posted:

There's a good archery thread here

I haven't been able to shoot for a couple of months due to straining a muscle. It sucks

I didn't know we had an Archery thread! Thanks.

• Locked thread