Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

LastInLine posted:

This is not a good combination of datapoints unfortunately. If the persistent notification isn't updating then I'm thinking it might be a broken weather app. My reasoning is this:

The purpose of a persistent notification is to keep something in memory and as far as I know on Android it's the only way to guarantee that something stays in memory. So if the app is in memory and still not updating then it's got to be a broken app. I know this was recently the case with the DashClock weather widget (got fixed this week) when the weather provider changed the API and broke the widget. This could be a similar case.

That said, if you're experiencing this problem with more than one app then I'm running out of ideas. It doesn't sound like it's the launcher but because you're dealing with LG-modified Android there's always the chance they could've broken something weird.

Could you try a known-working weather app and see if it updates as expected? Are you seeing this issue with any other apps? What app are you using currently?

I've tried several weather apps. I was using AccuWeather and when that stopped updating, I tried Weatherbug, Weather.com, 1weather and settled on Eye in the Sky. None of them will poll automatically. Would installing a different launcher possibly make a difference? If so what would you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bradzilla posted:

I've tried several weather apps. I was using AccuWeather and when that stopped updating, I tried Weatherbug, Weather.com, 1weather and settled on Eye in the Sky. None of them will poll automatically. Would installing a different launcher possibly make a difference? If so what would you recommend?

I really don't think it's the launcher if the persistent notification stops working but I personally use Nova and of course the Google Now Launcher is nice if limited in options (though if you were happy with LG's stock launcher that might not bother you).

I'm really at a loss what it could be because it sounds like the OS is killing the app in the background.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I really don't think it's the launcher if the persistent notification stops working but I personally use Nova and of course the Google Now Launcher is nice if limited in options (though if you were happy with LG's stock launcher that might not bother you).

I'm really at a loss what it could be because it sounds like the OS is killing the app in the background.

Guess I'll just live with it til I get a new phone. Thanks for trying to help though.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Yup, hasn't rolled out to me yet.

I look it up on the play store and it says it was last updated Feb 22nd.

Worst case scenario is you can get the apk and sideload it. There is almost no real difference between it and the older version aside from being able to resize it a tiny amount.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

There is almost no real difference between it and the older version aside from being able to resize it a tiny amount.

you can move the cursor by dragging on the space bar and it owns hard

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Performance is allegedly improved too.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

On Terra Firma posted:

Worst case scenario is you can get the apk and sideload it. There is almost no real difference between it and the older version aside from being able to resize it a tiny amount.

I don't know if this is a brand new change but there's a dedicated numpad toggle now so that's nice.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Also floating preview is gone and you can have symbols on the keys with long press to use them. All in all it was a huge update.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 20, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MC Hawking posted:

So why is it after a few months of applying security updates to my 16gb N5x, it has gone from 14.xgb available space down to 10.xgb of available space. Not that I'm filling it up with stuff, I'm talking about total space that the device recognizes itself as having. Unrooted, totally stock everything. This is really annoying.

This has happened before and required a factory reset to fix. Although the last time I heard about this it was from one version to the other (16GB > 8GB), not some in-between state like you have. Either way my fix would be to flash the factory software but of course that would mean losing everything not backed up.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Performance is allegedly improved too.

Not for me. It's much less accurate now.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Droid Turbo owners, rejoice! Original DROID Turbo Gets an Update

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Someone posted a rumor of a Soak Test on Reddit, this was a cruel tease to see.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

Not for me. It's much less accurate now.

I find that its worse at auto correcting but it seems faster when opening and typing/swiping

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

kensei posted:

Someone posted a rumor of a Soak Test on Reddit, this was a cruel tease to see.

I'm equal parts annoyed and unsurprised. Here's to hoping HTC still has one good phone left in them come Nexus time.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Blue Train posted:

I find that its worse at auto correcting but it seems faster when opening and typing/swiping

The auto correct seems more aggressive when you try to manually enter something it couldn't figure out through swiping, too.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

The Dark One posted:

The auto correct seems more aggressive when you try to manually enter something it couldn't figure out through swiping, too.

I've sent out some really dumb poo poo because of this and trying to go back to correct it is a pain in the rear end now. But hey google can do no wrong I guess?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

I've sent out some really dumb poo poo because of this and trying to go back to correct it is a pain in the rear end now. But hey google can do no wrong I guess?

That's correct. They're doing their best to fix your fat fingers, but you can't expect miracles.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

That's correct. They're doing their best to fix your fat fingers, but you can't expect miracles.

drat dude gonna be even harder to type with all these burns.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

drat dude gonna be even harder to type with all these burns.

Best part is after doing that, I tried to type in a website dialog and it kept autocorrecting something after I had correctly spelled it, but hitting backspace didn't undo the autocorrect. So I'd delete it all, rewrite it correctly, and it would do it again. Made me laugh.

Edit: It was user error, though, in case I gave the wrong impression. Should've gone with what Google was autocorrecting me to.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 14, 2016

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Well this is strange, suddenly I am getting "purchase currency not supported" error when trying to buy in-app items across all my apps (even though I have managed to buy in yen and dollars before). Has anyone managed to fix this error?
Tried removing google play updates but that didn't help.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm on a Motorola Droid Maxx 2 and it's babby's first smartphone. They've just pushed the first update out that will bump the phone up to Marshmallow.

My concern is that the update is from Verizon, and I've seen people have horrible issues (particularly related to battery life, which is why I picked this phone) after updating their Android phones with carrier-pushed updates. I do realize, however, that the Droid Maxx 2 is Verizon-exclusive.

Should I update? Or should I wait until the verdict is out about how this will affect my phone's performance?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My LG G3 basically can't do wifi anymore. Turning the radio on is just as likely to reboot the phone than anything else, and even when it can stay on it can't see anything. Connection is a rare thing now.

I think it's getting to be factory reset time. I might root it since it's approaching EOL anyway and if I have to wipe it might as well try it.

I'm pretty disappointed with this phone in general. I got it September 2014 and there's been bugs since the beginning. The notification light would stay blinking for no reason, snapchat wouldn't pop notifications, mobile data wouldn't turn on after switching from wifi. The UI bugs worked themselves out over time with updates but with this wifi thing I'm ready to turn it in.

Edit: The wifi issue seems to have completely resolved after deleting the myfitnesspal app.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 14, 2016

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

skooma512 posted:

Edit: The wifi issue seems to have completely resolved after deleting the myfitnesspal app.

I don't mean to sound like a smug rear end in a top hat in the android thread, but that's exactly why I don't really bother with third party apps. I have two, and they were both for data saving reasons.

edit: one of them was from my carrier, even.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I'm on a Motorola Droid Maxx 2 and it's babby's first smartphone. They've just pushed the first update out that will bump the phone up to Marshmallow.

My concern is that the update is from Verizon, and I've seen people have horrible issues (particularly related to battery life, which is why I picked this phone) after updating their Android phones with carrier-pushed updates. I do realize, however, that the Droid Maxx 2 is Verizon-exclusive.

Should I update? Or should I wait until the verdict is out about how this will affect my phone's performance?

No balls

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

Moto G3 with Android 6.0:

Every now and then my phone starts to run like garbage (very unresponsive, things take a long time to load, Facebook et al only show a blank white page, etc) so I restart it. Every single time I do this it softlocks on "Optimizing App 1 of 1..." and to get around it I have to wait maybe 10 minutes and then force shutdown and restart again. If I do it too soon it'll just hang on the optimizing message again. I've tried waiting it out but it still sticks around after several hours.

I may be wrong but is it likely that single app the phone fails to "optimize" is causing it to run like crap too? Is there any way to find out what that app is so I can finally kill it?

For the record: When I restart the phone while it's behaving normally this does not happen.

Hi everyone! I'm back again from over 50 pages ago!

bull3964 posted:

You could try clearing the cache partition by booting into recovery.

LastInLine posted:

The cache is being rebuilt when it's "Optimizing Apps..." so that should already be doing that but you're right, it can't hurt.

This unfortunately did not work. I also completely uninstalled every app I have minus the absolute bare-bones I need and that still didn't work. God drat it if I only knew what app was doing this! :argh:

I guess the last resort option is the ol' scorched-earth factory reset? I'll see how that goes and report back :sigh:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It was always Facebook for me that did the 1 app optimizing thing

Not seen it once since I got rid months ago

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skarsnik posted:

It was always Facebook for me that did the 1 app optimizing thing

Not seen it once since I got rid months ago

I'll give that a try. I'm okay canning Facebook as long as I can keep using Messenger.

Unrelated question: Does anyone have any recommended microSD cards for use with the "storage merging" feature in Marshmallow?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mak0rz posted:

I'll give that a try. I'm okay canning Facebook as long as I can keep using Messenger.

Unrelated question: Does anyone have any recommended microSD cards for use with the "storage merging" feature in Marshmallow?

SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB microSDXC UHS-I/U3 Memory Card 95MB/s Read FFP (SDSDQXP-064G-FFPA)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00Q4X8OTQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463216887&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=SDSDQXP-064G-FFPA

That allows 4K video recording as it's quite fast for an SD card. Most goons will probably recommend you just use it as independent storage though.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Don't adopt the storage unless you have a good reason. SD cards for media only is fine for most flagship devices as they have at least 16gb of local storage.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Stick100 posted:

Don't adopt the storage unless you have a good reason. SD cards for media only is fine for most flagship devices as they have at least 16gb of local storage.

Mine has 8 and with almost a barebones app list and all their updates it's getting pretty close to full :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Airborne Viking posted:

I don't mean to sound like a smug rear end in a top hat in the android thread, but that's exactly why I don't really bother with third party apps. I have two, and they were both for data saving reasons.

edit: one of them was from my carrier, even.

Well, the problem is still there, wifi just doesn't crash the phone anymore

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My AT&T M8 just got a 1gb update yesterday but everytime I try to install it my phone throws up the recovery screen with a notification saying that the install was unsuccessful. I gives me the option to install it from the phone storage but I have no idea where it saved the update file.

Should I just factory reset my phone and try again or is there a better way. I'm assuming it's marshmellow (7 months late).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

64bit_Dophins posted:

My AT&T M8 just got a 1gb update yesterday but everytime I try to install it my phone throws up the recovery screen with a notification saying that the install was unsuccessful. I gives me the option to install it from the phone storage but I have no idea where it saved the update file.

Should I just factory reset my phone and try again or is there a better way. I'm assuming it's marshmellow (7 months late).

Probably gonna have to reset your phone m8

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

FAUXTON posted:

Probably gonna have to reset your phone m8

This will be the third time I've had to reset this POS.

Carrier android phones - not even once.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

64bit_Dophins posted:

This will be the third time I've had to reset this POS.

Carrier android phones - not even once.

I think it needs to be done once to truly know to never do it again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kind of a general question, since from what I can tell I'm hosed on this.

I'm running a stock, original generation Nexus 4 on 5.1.1 LMY48T. Ever since upgrading to 5.1.1 I've noticed a weirdness with the left column, basically a "dead zone" between X0-140 pixels large, and any input in that zone automatically gets thrown to X0. (I figured this out by not being able to expand subforums in the Awful app by tapping the Caret character).

So I get the debug stuff turned on from these instructions:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to-test-the-touchscreen-on-your-Android-phone_id63078

And sure enough, any tap that is in the left of the screen between 0 and 140 pixels will go to 0 immediately no matter what I'm using in Portrait mode. Some googling around indicates that this is an incredibly common problem with the Nexus 4 after 5.1.1 and the only solutions I've seen are "install custom keyboard" or "install cyanogen" or "use landscape", none of which I really want to do. Have any of you guys run across this and know of a fix that doesn't require rooting/installing an app that covers it up? E.g. something that actually fixes it?

If not, I'm not too put out because I haven't had a new phone in over 4 years and I hear this 6P thing is smexy as hell. I usually get 5 years or so out of a phone, but I get the >best< phone available when I do. Is there something even crazier/better than the 6P out there, given that I don't want to deal with carrier/provider bullshit software?

I do want to "fix" this problem as well since I'll probably be gifting the N4 on to some less tech savvy member of the family, and would like them to have the ability to type the letter A.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The only thing I'd suggest is flashing the image without using that tool kit, do it the proper way using fastboot commands

E: having just read back your post I think you're trying to fix a problem that isn't there.

The 16gb 5x has always shown 10.67gb useable storage space

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 16, 2016