Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Slavvy posted:

Is this too much bike for someone who has zero dirt riding experience? I want a two-stroke but I'm also thinking something more relaxed and tractable would be a better first choice. But it's a two-stroke and the price is right.

a 250 2t is comparable to a 450 4t, you would be much better off on a 125 2t or a 250 4t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Is this too much bike for someone who has zero dirt riding experience? I want a two-stroke but I'm also thinking something more relaxed and tractable would be a better first choice. But it's a two-stroke and the price is right.

My main concern with an ancient husky is that you'd never get parts, or they will be astronomically expensive.

Also, starting on a 250 2-stroke will have some surprises in store. I wouldn't count on it being relaxed or tractable, it will need to be revved into its powerband to make power and once it's there, it will try to pull your arms out of the sockets. So no, relaxed is not how I would describe a 2-stroke 250 mx bike from any manufacturer.

That being said if you're going to ride DUNEZ or wide open spaces, it's not as bad. What you don't want is that powerband kicking in at an in opportune time in tight single track and pitching you into the trees.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OK I will look into other options. Do MX bikes have suspension/brakes that scale in shittiness with engine size, or are the smaller ones still good? I wouldn't mind a 2t 125.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Still good. I rode a 2t 125 KTM on trailz and the suspension was like magic. Like, point bike there, open throttle, bike go there.

I think the shittiness scales more with age.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm looking to get a TW200 specifically, and will be coming back to Austin in mid-June from living overseas. I've been glancing at CL just to see what's out there, and this one bike has stuck around for a while. Is it just a terrible deal due to the age, despite the low miles and claimed maintenance/upkeep?

quote:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5574598496.html

1989 Yamaha TW 200
2,200 miles
Owned for 20+ years
Electric start+kick start
Pro-Cycle aluminum skid plate
Aftermarket wide platform foot pegs
IMS folding shifter
CycleRacks Mega rack
Large tool/fuel carrier
Trail Tech digital speedo installed
New battery,new UNI air filter
New fork boots(not pictured) installed+ repacked steering head bearings
Trickle charger /power outlet connection
Owners manual
Have title but never transferred into my name
CALLS ONLY !! Thanks
Special made bumper bike carrier included
show contact info
$1650 Price is firm.

I'll probably drop into the thread in a month or so to get the goon opinion on whatever TW200s are listed on CL locally. I'm just looking for a really compact/lightweight/flickable bike just for use on major streets and thoroughfares (basically not planning highways at all) and figured it's cooler than a Ruckus or a pedal-moped or whatever and looks fun. There's also a TW200 claimed as having really low miles but blown engine the owner can't afford to replace, selling for $1000, but that sounds sketchy: http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5572581064.html

I'm hoping to find a late-2000s TW200 in running condition for $2500 or less, but they seem a little thin on the ground the last few months. Though you'd think Austin would have less summer demand surge due to a) college kids leaving town and selling bikes b) the weather being about ideal for bikes year-round.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm looking to get a TW200 specifically, and will be coming back to Austin in mid-June from living overseas. I've been glancing at CL just to see what's out there, and this one bike has stuck around for a while. Is it just a terrible deal due to the age, despite the low miles and claimed maintenance/upkeep?

I'll probably drop into the thread in a month or so to get the goon opinion on whatever TW200s are listed on CL locally. I'm just looking for a really compact/lightweight/flickable bike just for use on major streets and thoroughfares (basically not planning highways at all) and figured it's cooler than a Ruckus or a pedal-moped or whatever and looks fun. There's also a TW200 claimed as having really low miles but blown engine the owner can't afford to replace, selling for $1000, but that sounds sketchy: http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5572581064.html

I'm hoping to find a late-2000s TW200 in running condition for $2500 or less, but they seem a little thin on the ground the last few months. Though you'd think Austin would have less summer demand surge due to a) college kids leaving town and selling bikes b) the weather being about ideal for bikes year-round.

TW200's are great around town bikes. Just don't expect great suspension, neck-snapping torque, or comfort, that's not what they are designed for. Upgrading the suspension front and rear is a $1k proposition, and not really worth it. See also: front and rear drum brakes on the pre-2000 models.

The red/black one seems like a decent deal considering the mods, especially considering the other overpriced Tdubs in your area. However, I don't know if I believe him that it only has 2200 miles. I also don't like people who title flip (owned it 20 years but didn't transfer the title??), or PRICE IS FIRM, but then again I'm a crotchety old poo poo. Despite that, if it is what he claims it is, that's a good deal. That Cyclerack is the rack to get for these, and the other mods are common to these bikes and desirable. I'd like another one of these, and if he were in my area I'd pay his asking price.

The 2nd one, I have never heard of anyone blowing up a TW200 motor. the cam being stuck tells me he ran it out of oil. Most people who know Tdubs will say that the newer TW's are not as well made as the ones pre-2000. You also lose the kickstart but gain a front disc brake. If he is willing to negotiate down a bit might be worth it. However due to their reliability (it's a 2 wheel Toyota Hilux, just try to kill it) I don't think it would be easy to find a donor motor. A quick search on ebay confirms this.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

However due to their reliability (it's a 2 wheel Toyota Hilux, just try to kill it)

That's kinda why I want one; I coveted a Yamaha AG100 all year in Africa but money was always tight, and this seems the vaguely close-ish US equivalent.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

Still good. I rode a 2t 125 KTM on trailz and the suspension was like magic. Like, point bike there, open throttle, bike go there.

I think the shittiness scales more with age.

Yeah shiftiness definitely scales with age. Any actual mx bike in one of the standard displacement classes will have top shelf stuff. It's just that new top shelf stuff is better than the old stuff

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Hey guys. So I'm in the market for a scooter. No riding experience, but I did take and pass the california motorcycle safety course. I was going to buy a Buddy 125cc, but someone suggested I don't buy a new one, and instead go onto craigslist and purchase a used one. The problem is I have no idea what a reasonable price is, or what to look for in regards for potential issues with the scooter, etc. Any advice? I'm in Los Angeles, if that helps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah shiftiness definitely scales with age. Any actual mx bike in one of the standard displacement classes will have top shelf stuff. It's just that new top shelf stuff is better than the old stuff

Enough to make a difference to a newbie? I'm finding that 2t 250's are far, far cheaper than equivalent 4t's here for whatever reason. So I could get a 20 year old 2t with top notch for the time suspension, or I can get a 20 year old air cooled 4t with a rear drum for the same price.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the 2t will definitely be the better bike, as 4t mx bikes didnt really exist back then like they do now

I guess what i was saying is that the older full on mx bike womt be as nice as a new one, but the 125's and the 250's should be similaly specced

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

HogX posted:

Hey guys. So I'm in the market for a scooter. No riding experience, but I did take and pass the california motorcycle safety course. I was going to buy a Buddy 125cc, but someone suggested I don't buy a new one, and instead go onto craigslist and purchase a used one. The problem is I have no idea what a reasonable price is, or what to look for in regards for potential issues with the scooter, etc. Any advice? I'm in Los Angeles, if that helps.

Budget? Honda sh150i for giggles. Or an old Honda Elite. Jim silly balls has one and has been having fun with it. Yamaha Zuma's are good. Don't get a Chinese scooter. On the same hand Taiwanese scooters are good.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Coredump posted:

Budget? Honda sh150i for giggles. Or an old Honda Elite. Jim silly balls has one and has been having fun with it. Yamaha Zuma's are good. Don't get a Chinese scooter. On the same hand Taiwanese scooters are good.

3k would be okay, not really wanting to spend more than that if possible.

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos
Genuine is one of the exceptions to the "don't buy chinese scooter" rule of thumb. They're actually pretty great and the price is more comparable to the japanese brands than tao tao and etc.

I wouldn't shy away from buying a brand new scooter if it's something you plan on having for a while. You're not as likely to gently caress it up as you would a first motorcycle. The only time i ever dropped mine i was really stoned and unchaining it from my apartment complex stairs. I decided not to ride that day. The price difference, just by dollar amount, between a new and used scooter is not typically in the thousands like a motorcycle either and a scooter is more likely to have suffered a lack of fluid changes and general maintenance in my experience as well.

Anyway yeah I'd go with the new Geniune if it's within your budget, you won't regret it. The Buddy is pretty awesome as well. Just make sure that if you're not going to be doing any work on it yourself that you're buying it from somewhere reputable that'll work on it or know someone who does. There's a lot of lovely scooter "dealerships" that have popped up in my town lately that pretty much exclusively sell chinese scooters and don't stand by them at all after you've bought them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Panda Bear posted:

Genuine is one of the exceptions to the "don't buy chinese scooter" rule of thumb. They're actually pretty great and the price is more comparable to the japanese brands than tao tao and etc.

I wouldn't shy away from buying a brand new scooter if it's something you plan on having for a while. You're not as likely to gently caress it up as you would a first motorcycle. The only time i ever dropped mine i was really stoned and unchaining it from my apartment complex stairs. I decided not to ride that day. The price difference, just by dollar amount, between a new and used scooter is not typically in the thousands like a motorcycle either and a scooter is more likely to have suffered a lack of fluid changes and general maintenance in my experience as well.

Anyway yeah I'd go with the new Geniune if it's within your budget, you won't regret it. The Buddy is pretty awesome as well. Just make sure that if you're not going to be doing any work on it yourself that you're buying it from somewhere reputable that'll work on it or know someone who does. There's a lot of lovely scooter "dealerships" that have popped up in my town lately that pretty much exclusively sell chinese scooters and don't stand by them at all after you've bought them.

Seconding this, there are several brands of legit decent chinese scooters. They are insanely popular here and reasonably well made and reliable whilst being hilariously cheaper than japanese models, definitely an edge case where buying new makes good sense.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Slavvy posted:

Seconding this, there are several brands of legit decent chinese scooters. They are insanely popular here and reasonably well made and reliable whilst being hilariously cheaper than japanese models, definitely an edge case where buying new makes good sense.

Are there any of the cheap/generic electric Chinese scooters that are even slightly decent as a backstreet urban runaround, or are the e-bikes still total poo poo even for $1k?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would not trust a Chinese electric bike to not burn your house down after the hover board debacle

And yes, as mentioned I do have an older (87) elite 250 and it's really fun as well as being a decent cargo hauler and freeway capable

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wait. Is Genuine Chinese or Indian?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think some Genuines are made in India, some in Taiwan. As far as qc goes Taiwanese are generally many steps ahead of Chinese manufacturers.

Honda scooters are built in China though I think.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Coredump posted:

Wait. Is Genuine Chinese or Indian?

The Genuine Buddies are made in Taiwan (by PGO)... which is why they're so much better than the Chinese brands.

My wife has a 2009 Buddy 150 and it's a great little scooter. We rented a 125cc model beforehand to see if she'd like it and it was awesome, too. Buy used and you should be able to find something decent in the $1500 range.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I would not trust a Chinese electric bike to not burn your house down after the hover board debacle

Yeah but the hoverboard one was cheap poo poo knockoffs that themselves used cheap poo poo knockoffs of batteries that weren't even that well-suited to the task if they were genuine. The "proper" brands were (as far as I know) immune to Halt And Catch Fire errors.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

cheap poo poo knockoffs that themselves used cheap poo poo knockoffs of batteries that weren't even that well-suited to the task if they were genuine.

This nearly perfectly describes a Chinese electric vehicle

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Panda Bear posted:

Yeah it's in my budget, thought I should ask anyways. Thanks! Will get it new.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The Genuines (The Stella) made in India are not nearly as good a build quality as the Genuines (Buddy, Blur, Roughhouse, etc) made in Taiwan.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

So Taiwanese scooters good and Chinese scooters bad yeah?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I love the idea of telling someone I ride a genuine roughhouse :gay:

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Any reason I shouldn't consider a Cat D SV650 as a first big bike?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605143944420

What can really go wrong with these things?

Also, is it correct that a SV650 of this vintage would be carbourated and not FI? Is this something I should care about much?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

primitive posted:

Any reason I shouldn't consider a Cat D SV650 as a first big bike?

As a general rule never touch a write-off, even a Cat D. In this particular case, the stuff he's replaced isn't enough for a write-off even on an older bike like this, so there's undoubtedly something nastier lurking in there.

For those not familiar - insurance companies in the UK have different categories of write-off, Cat A being "Scrap value only" (or stolen and never recovered), B is "Some bits can be sold for more than scrap value", C is "Repairable but parts cost is more than the vehicle is worth" and D is "repairable but cost including labour exceeds value", so you can fix it yourself with pattern/second-hand parts. He claims to have replaced parts that - even if bought new from the factory - would cost about 300 quid with maybe a couple of hours labour, so there's definitely more damage than he's letting on.

The SV-istas here can probably weigh in on whether or not the SV frame is easily damaged/bent or if there's something else likely to be an issue.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The SV frames are quite stout but I agree with twisto - that shouldn't have been enough to total it. Could still be a decent deal but I'd wanna see the salvage paperwork to verify damage.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
https://touch.trademe.co.nz/motors/listing/view/1085175461

Been lurking for a long time. Still hoping to get a dual sport as a first bike, looking to use it to commute and do some light gravel road and trail riding and I own an econobox that isn't fit to tow muh of anything. This looks appealing, and just a couple of questions and hoping for someone to help me give a bit of a push to help me pull the trigger, is the price right and will I regret trying to take it up to 100kmhr traffic?

Also, am looking for advice about gear I am thinking of getting a helmet that is a bit cheaper but rates well on the sharp scores, but in terms of the rest of it, is it bad to just grab whatever lower end synthetic gear thats available and fits well and riding boots with decent ankle support?

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 15, 2016

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

primitive posted:

Also, is it correct that a SV650 of this vintage would be carbourated and not FI? Is this something I should care about much?

If you continue looking at SVs, that generation was fuel injected. The tubular frame generation was carbureted.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hi guys. I got a Ninja 300 a couple months back and put 1200 miles on it, a lot of them on CA twisties. I am curious what a logical upgrade progression is if I want to go the naked bike route and how do I evaluate when I am ready to get one? I got a nice new job offer so I want to celebrate, but I also want to stay safe and not over-ride my skill limit. The sexiest bike I have seen so far is MV Brutale, and, yeah, I read about the sprag clutch thing in the thread.

VVV Oh yeah, ABS strongly preferred. A riding buddy has a FZ-07 and it is sweet, but does not have an ABS option.

pokie fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 15, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

pokie posted:

Hi guys. I got a Ninja 300 a couple months back and put 1200 miles on it, a lot of them on CA twisties. I am curious what a logical upgrade progression is if I want to go the naked bike route and how do I evaluate when I am ready to get one? I got a nice new job offer so I want to celebrate, but I also want to stay safe and not over-ride my skill limit. The sexiest bike I have seen so far is MV Brutale, and, yeah, I read about the sprag clutch thing in the thread.

Fz-07?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Or its retro brother, XSR700?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pokie posted:

VVV Oh yeah, ABS strongly preferred. A riding buddy has a FZ-07 and it is sweet, but does not have an ABS option.

Ah yes, the 'bikes are like diablo' approach to riding.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pokie posted:

Oh yeah, ABS strongly preferred. A riding buddy has a FZ-07 and it is sweet, but does not have an ABS option.

What?! Is this true? Why the hell would they do that? The difference between Japanese bikes in Euro and US markets continues to utterly confound me. The differences are utterly inexplicable. In Norway, you can't get it without ABS.

Slavvy posted:

Ah yes, the 'bikes are like diablo' approach to riding.

Hehe, missed this. I think I can guess in which business one might get a new job offer in CA worth celebrating, it's something which many on this forum have in common and lead exactly to that mindset. Buncha nerds.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Street Triple, perhaps?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Ola posted:

What?! Is this true? Why the hell would they do that? The difference between Japanese bikes in Euro and US markets continues to utterly confound me. The differences are utterly inexplicable. In Norway, you can't get it without ABS.

That's because in Europe we live in a socialist hell hole where you have to wear a helmet, actually be able to ride a bike to get a license and all bikes must have ABS

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

pokie posted:

701sm. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

pokie posted:

I'm confused, you only have 1200 miles riding experience and you want to move up displacement already? Did you mean 12,000, or maybe 120,000?

The FZ-07 is not really an upgrade to the ninja except for power, they are both entry level bikes. The ninja will handle and brake as well or better than an FZ.