Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

AlphaKretin posted:

So how long is that GMG discount code valid?
I don't think I've ever seen GMG without a sitewide discount code available tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Can't believe there are people who don't worship Cam Clarke as the god he is.

Honestly I love Cam Clarke's performance in MGS but it's completely at odds with the tone and seriousness the narrative was trying to put into the game. The acting pushes the game from a boring spy action thriller into a cheesy B Movie.

The voice acting is so over the top and hammy it becomes endearing and funny but it fails to capture the gravitas that the plot is trying to push.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

alcharagia posted:

Like the Killer7!

Ah, you made it!

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Booourns posted:

The laughing scene gave us this so I can deal with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K0gZvj1MsI

I was getting really excited because we almost survived a full ffx port/launch/mention without people throwing shade about a scene they have completely misinterpreted.

Every LP video i get linked where people are literally talking over Tidus and Yuna laughing completely normally and talking about how awkward their purposefully recorded as awkward and forced like if someone in real life told you to stand over there and laugh out loud

I just cringe

the laughing scene isnt even a thing. Its 100% intentional. The VAs are 100% capable of natural laughs. Its actually a pretty well written scene in a game where they were still using same lipflaps. And I just look solemnly towards the window everytime I see the "retort" where the same people go "oh and you think that was the best take they got somehow? wellthey sound like crows in japanese!"

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Honestly I love Cam Clarke's performance in MGS but it's completely at odds with the tone and seriousness the narrative was trying to put into the game. The acting pushes the game from a boring spy action thriller into a cheesy B Movie.

The voice acting is so over the top and hammy it becomes endearing and funny but it fails to capture the gravitas that the plot is trying to push.

Metal Gear is at its best when it's hammy and over the top though, the serious stuff would be dogshit even if the voice actors were playing it straight.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A thing can be "intentionally" bad and still be a dumb idea.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Yes that certainly is MGS in a nutshell.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember when you had to press X repeatedly to push Terra down a magic fire hallway full of Bombs constantly exploding? Remember when Bartz climbed a ladder for two minutes while a slowed down version of the Chocobo theme played?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
No but I remember when you had to move Squall to safety or he'd get swallowed up by the desert because of a sinking prison.

Despite Rinoa shouting, 'Quick Squall! Over there!'

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Mega64 posted:

A thing can be "intentionally" bad and still be a dumb idea.

Its a really cute character scene? What should have been there instead? One of Final Fantasy Series' infamous "realistic gritty action cutscene" ? two models staring at each other with dialogue boxes?

TIDUS: HA HA HA, this feels so weird
YUNA: HA HA HA haha same ayy lmao

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Levantine posted:

Yes that certainly is MGS in a nutshell.

Precisely, it's perfect for MGS.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

zolthorg posted:

What should have been there instead?

Tidus kicking a blitzball and blowing up.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

if it became Silent Hill and UFOs just nuked Spira and Sin from space it would have been THE BEST FF.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

zolthorg posted:

Its a really cute character scene? What should have been there instead? One of Final Fantasy Series' infamous "realistic gritty action cutscene" ? two models staring at each other with dialogue boxes?

Dude, it's a good scene when you think about the character interaction, but it's still a funny scene from the (intentionally) awkward delivery. There's nothing really wrong about it, just the nature of it makes it for easy jokes. Everyone understands at this point "why" they have the scene and it does what it does, but that doesn't change the pure fact that it's funny in that awkward way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDocsZkWK0&t=142s

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

"Watch how Tidus opens his mouth. It's kind of gross."

"Okey doke."

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i just played through ffx remaster on vita when it came out but im tempted to get it again on pc because of the speed boosts since i basically quit when i got to endgame grind time and 5x / no encounters would be helpful for that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i never had to grind in FFX, the last bosses aren't really that hard

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm that guy who takes MGS seriously but MGS1 was the most intentionally "B Movie" of the 3D era. It just has a ton of stuff it doesn't even bother to explain, like Liquid's invincibility, Meryl being able to drive a car a few hours after having her knees blown out by sniper fire, etc.. It revels in its 80s action flick inspiration and thus it works. That isn't even getting into all the MG2 throwbacks which make absolutely no sense, like the four dudes on the elevator with STEALTH.

Plus I still absolutely love the MGS1 Codec the most of any MGS codec because it blew my friggin' mind back in the day. I spent hours just calling people up and listening to every conversation at every point I could. You can have Mei Ling calling you a weirdo for going into the women restroom and then call Nastasha to learn about why nukes are bad.

To me, Metal Gear Solid will always be the best Metal Gear because it combined humor with seriousness better than the others.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm that guy who takes MGS seriously but MGS1 was the most intentionally "B Movie" of the 3D era. It just has a ton of stuff it doesn't even bother to explain, like Liquid's invincibility, Meryl being able to drive a car a few hours after having her knees blown out by sniper fire, etc.. It revels in its 80s action flick inspiration and thus it works. That isn't even getting into all the MG2 throwbacks which make absolutely no sense, like the four dudes on the elevator with STEALTH.

Plus I still absolutely love the MGS1 Codec the most of any MGS codec because it blew my friggin' mind back in the day. I spent hours just calling people up and listening to every conversation at every point I could. You can have Mei Ling calling you a weirdo for going into the women restroom and then call Nastasha to learn about why nukes are bad.

To me, Metal Gear Solid will always be the best Metal Gear because it combined humor with seriousness better than the others.

The codec was the best, you can call Miller about six or seven times and he'll just keep talking about nonsense. At one point he tells you you can sneak soundlessly by wrapping your socks around your shoes and Snake's like "I...I can't do that!" and Miller's like "oh, well, then maybe just crawl with the X button".

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Going back to FFXIII, and what the heck is up with the Gorgonospids. Fighting three of them is easily manageable, but add one and suddenly I need to max out all six roles and have max weapons.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never played FFX-2 before, heard mixed things about it. Is buying the port worth it?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Elentor posted:

I've never played FFX-2 before, heard mixed things about it. Is buying the port worth it?

Yes.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Elentor posted:

Yeah, it's a lot of fun

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

It's a really good, fun game if you don't try to 100% it. (Don't try to 100% it. (The true ending isn't even worth it and is, in fact, bad.))

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i like the structure and the anime babe antics but the combat felt like a real step backwards from ffx

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A few of the character models are off but overall FFX looks really nice on PC - it's like playing it for the first time on PS2 again, everything looks lush and vibrant! Feels real good seeing this A-tier Squaresoft art direction in an actual well designed and paced game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

i like the structure and the anime babe antics but the combat felt like a real step backwards from ffx
Seriously? I liked the combat best out of...possibly every mainline FF game. It was definitely proto-FFXIII but it's slow enough that you actually choose your commands, which removes my biggest complaint about XIII's combat. It feels like a modern version of the ATB system with added Sailor Moon.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

You kidding? FFX's combat was very basic turn based with some turn delay shennanigans. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't very original either. X-2's was ATB refined, where you could stunlock and combo enemies and make them waste turns that way and it felt much faster, fluid and more fun than X overall.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I like X's combat, but X2 was better in nearly every way and thanks to the class system feels like it gives you so many more options. It's just snappier IMO.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright, I'll grab myself some FFX2, sounds like fun.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Blitzball's surprisingly fun when you have decent stats, but this would never work in any way other than against the CPU. Brother is a beast and a half, too.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Super No Vacancy posted:

same

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dewgy posted:

Here, have a rant about this very thing: http://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-10-new-look-betrays-main-character/

Wonder if someone will make an old models mod.

drat, I had my misgivings about the HD version but it didn't occur to me that it was this bad.
Besides that, some of the music remixes seriously mess up the tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lnJIHBAJ6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_xMHZleARU
Version A: Mysterious and ominous
Version B: Uhhh orchestrated?

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
The new music is really bad, and it sucks you can't change it in the Vita version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't even notice the new character models in the HD version of FFX when I played it. :shrug:
Probably because I hadn't played the original since 2002

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Seriously? I liked the combat best out of...possibly every mainline FF game. It was definitely proto-FFXIII but it's slow enough that you actually choose your commands, which removes my biggest complaint about XIII's combat. It feels like a modern version of the ATB system with added Sailor Moon.

I'm dumb and slow and felt like even though it was slower than 13's, it was still moving too fast to pick all your commands and I couldn't keep up with everything that was happening all at once

Edit: also I just prefer normal turn based over atb in general, so "the best atb system" to me is still not as good as a not atb one

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 14, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I never thought much of it, but when Sin knocks Tidus off the boat before Killika... did he? Or did Tidus just jump off, hoping to rub on Sin and go back to Zanarkand? I never really thought of it before, mostly because there is plenty of precedent for Tidus being a dumbass that can't stay on a boat when everyone else does just fine. The only thing supporting it is that Tidus's flashback voice recalls how he thought if he rubbed on Sin again he'd end up back in Zanarkand eventually, either right before or after that scene.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

doing anything in ffx2 battles takes fuckin forever. 10 minutes to cast a spell, 20 if you get hit int he meantime. 30 minutes to change your outfits. ffx battles are crisp and let you swap people in and out super zippy to take advantage of enemy weaknesses. tidus zip zoink killed a leopard dog thing and then i swtiched out to yuna who cast lightning in half the time it takes for paine to charge up lvl 1 snowball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Minrad posted:

I never thought much of it, but when Sin knocks Tidus off the boat before Killika... did he? Or did Tidus just jump off, hoping to rub on Sin and go back to Zanarkand? I never really thought of it before, mostly because there is plenty of precedent for Tidus being a dumbass that can't stay on a boat when everyone else does just fine. The only thing supporting it is that Tidus's flashback voice recalls how he thought if he rubbed on Sin again he'd end up back in Zanarkand eventually, either right before or after that scene.

No, the only time Tidus actively went after Sin was when Sin killed everyone at mushroom road coast and he was at his lowest point.

Tidus is also way less of a "dumbass" than people remember, or expect perfect emotions like a robot.