Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's also important to remember that the alien life cycle was going to be different: people were going to be transmuted into eggs. In that context, the idea of the alien consuming and adopting aspects of a human isn't as far out of left field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

That 10 years is probably the pivotal point for Fury Road being so good. If it was made on time in the early 2000s, it would have had none of the actors it ended up with and inferior technology to make it with.

If Mad Max: Wasteland winds up being Beyond Thunderdome 2, I will be quite okay with that, tbh.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Giving the Alien speech and an understanding of how human things work certainly makes it far less alien.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
One of the reasons I always felt JC's The Thing was the superior horror alien--giving it the ability to understand human speech does not make it any less alien.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah being able to mimic humans isn't necessarily humanizing, but that Alien treatment sounds like it wanted to eat Ripley's head so it could Single White Female her.

Which would be scary / hilarious if it showed any prior indication of that motivation - like a scene where she catches the Alien wearing her clothes or making phonecalls to Earth pretending to be her.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

moths posted:

like a scene where she catches the Alien wearing her clothes

this sounds hilarious

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

for a bunch of people so quick to poo poo on Cameron it's p funny that it's some kind of revelation that Scott's good ideas are entirely confined to effects and set design

moths posted:

Yeah being able to mimic humans isn't necessarily humanizing, but that Alien treatment sounds like it wanted to eat Ripley's head so it could Single White Female her.

Which would be scary / hilarious if it showed any prior indication of that motivation - like a scene where she catches the Alien wearing her clothes or making phonecalls to Earth pretending to be her.

lol

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Snak posted:

It's also important to remember that the alien life cycle was going to be different: people were going to be transmuted into eggs. In that context, the idea of the alien consuming and adopting aspects of a human isn't as far out of left field
One of the original ideas was that the Alien race was actually extremely intelligent with their own civilization. They depended on this rather destructive symbiotic reproductive cycle and nearly went extinct when their hosts (some space-cow type animal) all died. The planet wasn't always a desolate wasteland; some cataclysmic event radically altered the environment. The derelict ship was originally supposed to be distinct from the pyramid/temple (built by the alien civilization) that housed all the eggs. The creature in the movie is an adolescent and isn't alive long enough to reach full intellectual development. Plus, there are no elder aliens teaching it - it's a feral child, to bring it somewhat back to Mad Max.

It certainly would have been a very different movie and it's hard to imagine Giger's death nightmare forming a civilization, but keep in mind that a lot of these crazy ideas were very, very early on before they had a clue what the alien would look like.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

...it's hard to imagine Giger's death nightmare forming a civilization, but keep in mind that a lot of these crazy ideas were very, very early on before they had a clue what the alien would look like.

I think it's a neat idea, though. The alien is, after all, symbolic of humanity's own darker instincts. It's basically an unstoppable eating and raping machine that poisons its environment to serve it.

Like Immortan Joe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For anyone who was interested in Uncharted 4, it has a nearly 20 minute gunfight and car chase sequence that's seemingly the closest any video game has come to replicating the feel of a Fury Road car chase. Obviously, minor spoilers for Uncharted 4 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNKXsd76OEg

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's more like ten minutes with lots of dying.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i don't understand the whole LP phenomenon generally and I especially don't understand watching a random stranger who's incredibly bad at games gently caress up the same way over and over and over again

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

For anyone who was interested in Uncharted 4, it has a nearly 20 minute gunfight and car chase sequence that's seemingly the closest any video game has come to replicating the feel of a Fury Road car chase. Obviously, minor spoilers for Uncharted 4 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNKXsd76OEg

If Max spent the entire film getting machine gunned in the face by everybody and then walking it off, Fury Road would have been a very different film

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It[/i]'s not that weird why it started, early LPs were either of obscure and hard to find games that the average person was highly unlikely to find normally or provided some sort of interesting commentary on the subject being played, with the occasional example of silly novelty where someone played a game with a weird and bizarre self-imposed gimmick.

The "watch this guy get owned horribly" thing started out in the romhack community around poo poo like kaizo Mario where the entertainment came from someone who was explicitly really good at a game being horribly slayed by horseshit user mods, without the viewer having to actually get wrecked repeatedly to enjoy the content.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unfortunately the game is so new that there's really no good videos out there that just show that one scene.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

For anyone who was interested in Uncharted 4, it has a nearly 20 minute gunfight and car chase sequence that's seemingly the closest any video game has come to replicating the feel of a Fury Road car chase.
Can confirm that the actual Mad Max game certainly doesn't.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

david_a posted:

no its the best. Max, Tank Girl, and Dredd team up to fight psychic androids on the moon. After their getaway spaceship is vaporized, they have to escape from Luna... with the help of Snake Plissken.

I think it's extremely established at this point in the public consciousness that these movies are set in Australia. I asked about the steering wheel of the war rig earlier in the thread and apparently a lot of industrial vehicles in Australia (like stuff used in mining) have left-hand steering wheels.

MMAgCh posted:

And the brief appearance of the Sydney Opera House at the end of Beyond Thunderdome, of course.

Alhazred posted:

And the boomerang the Feral Kid throws.

The Transavia Airtruk was also wholly Australian phenomenon. I believe the bulk of the production line was used in Australia or New Zealand.

As much as the joke about Chinese dropships landing in the Outback, it's an ideal notion. The idea that the West has fallen into failed state disarray and retreated to anarchic atavism, while new superpowers like united Africa or China or South America isn't new in science fiction, but would be a novel approach in post-apocalyptic media. I've joked that climatic battle in The Postman should have been interrupted by Chinese peacekeepers. The fall of the Roman Empire lead to the Dark Ages in Europe, but in the rest of the world, you had the Byzantine Empire that would later evolve into the Ottoman Empire, the Islamic Golden Age coming out of Baghdad, China still churned along even after being invaded by Mongols, Japan continued to grow and unify in isolation, the ascendancy of the Benin and Somali Empires in Africa, etc.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

On the other hand, it takes a global economy and shittons of oil to make any sort of post industrial country survive, much less a country with a billion people. Also, the reason the Mad Max movies are so good precisely because they're so simple and self contained. Starting a dumb expanded universe just so you can know 'what happened elsewhere' is missing the point.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I'm not sure why nerds think China is so likely to survive/thrive considering they're staring post apocalyptia right in the face with constant civil unrest, a tanking economy, and one of the worst water shortages in recorded history looming.

Like, if you asked me to rank major powers in order of closeness to Mad Maxing the gently caress out, I'd put China at number 1 no question.

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 14, 2016

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
If any nation was going to survive a Mad Max apocalypse I'd go with somewhere small, sane, and remote. So Iceland, I guess.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mantis42 posted:

On the other hand, it takes a global economy and shittons of oil to make any sort of post industrial country survive, much less a country with a billion people. Also, the reason the Mad Max movies are so good precisely because they're so simple and self contained. Starting a dumb expanded universe just so you can know 'what happened elsewhere' is missing the point.

"Elsewhere" should only exist as a MacGuffin.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I could see a sequel going in lots of different directions. I've often wondered what probably happened right after the events of Fury Road.

For example, maybe Furiosia dies of her wounds, lionizing her as some martyr to stand up for all the downtrodden people in the Citadel. Max has already moved on, but there's this huge power vacuum in the area because all the major warlords are dead. Who picks up the pieces? a post-post apocalyptic situation.

I'd have it where Max just happens to come back ten years later, gets another car stolen/broken/etc again and has to navigate the new situation to be on his way. In the meantime the local people just traded one Cargo Cult for another, maybe he tries to use the fact that he helped Furiosa free the wives in the past to give him leverage toward getting supplies, but the whole legend of what happened on the Fury Road has elevated him and Furiosa's deeds to the point they don't believe this raggedy man could have possibly been the same guy. It would be a great exploration of how legends of people become so much grander than the people themselves, and how people are prone to making the same dumb mistakes and creating a circular follow-the-leader when it comes to trying to form some rudimentary form of government.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

so, all the bits of Beyond Thunderdome everyone wishes never happened?

tbh after three movies of Max is the lone wanderer > Max finds a tribe and learns to care about people again > tribe is saved, Max wanders off to become the lone wanderer again I'd kinda like them to finish off his story in some kind of satisfactory way, whether that's him finding a home again for good or whatever. There's a lot of things you can do with the kind of mythical Hobbesian wasteland the movies are set in and all its crazyass characters, but there's a limit to the range of stories you can tell with Max specifically, and Fury Road was the last remake of the Road Warrior I see us ever needing.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 14, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

so, all the bits of Beyond Thunderdome everyone wishes never happened?

tbh after three movies of Max is the lone wanderer > Max finds a tribe and learns to care about people again > tribe is saved, Max wanders off to become the lone wanderer again I'd kinda like them to finish off his story in some kind of satisfactory way, whether that's him finding a home again for good or whatever. There's a lot of things you can do with the kind of mythical Hobbesian wasteland the movies are set in and all its crazyass characters, but there's a limit to the range of stories you can tell with Max specifically, and Fury Road was the last remake of the Road Warrior I see us ever needing.

Maybe he takes a heel turn and turns into the next Immortan Joe? He's certainly cynical/antisocial enough.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

he doesn't exactly have the social skills, and his recurring thing is that he's not actually ruthless enough to thrive in the waste the way the teeming mobs of leather gangsters do. That'd be a pretty fundamental shift from the character that's been in the movies, you might as well just make a film about a younger Joe (I'd totally watch a film about a younger Joe, I want to see lots of Mad Max movies that aren't about Max)

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Panfilo posted:

I could see a sequel going in lots of different directions. I've often wondered what probably happened right after the events of Fury Road.

For example, maybe Furiosia dies of her wounds, lionizing her as some martyr to stand up for all the downtrodden people in the Citadel. Max has already moved on, but there's this huge power vacuum in the area because all the major warlords are dead. Who picks up the pieces? a post-post apocalyptic situation.

I'd have it where Max just happens to come back ten years later, gets another car stolen/broken/etc again and has to navigate the new situation to be on his way. In the meantime the local people just traded one Cargo Cult for another, maybe he tries to use the fact that he helped Furiosa free the wives in the past to give him leverage toward getting supplies, but the whole legend of what happened on the Fury Road has elevated him and Furiosa's deeds to the point they don't believe this raggedy man could have possibly been the same guy. It would be a great exploration of how legends of people become so much grander than the people themselves, and how people are prone to making the same dumb mistakes and creating a circular follow-the-leader when it comes to trying to form some rudimentary form of government.

I hope you've got a good imagination cause with the way Miller structures sequels you're never gonna find out.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Max is a cipher. Every movie is always going to be built around the structure of the lone wanderer encountering some people, being reluctant to help them, eventually securing a better life for them and then melting off into the wasteland again. It's a very old trope from storytelling. Even the Man With No Name in the Eastwood films seems old now, but it dates all the way back to the idea of ronin or knights errant, probably further back than that.

It's also a neat little explanation for the reboot - for why Max is a different actor and why the events of the four films don't make chronological sense. You can think of Max as being a sort of legend of the wasteland, with all kinds of different heroes being mapped onto him as an icon.

Which is why I wouldn't want to see a sequel which is anything other than Max in his Interceptor again, encountering an entirely new location and set of characters. Furiosa, the wives, the Citadel - their story is over. You can think about the power vacuum and the adjustment of the Citadel into a more humane society, but is that really, actually, the kind of story you want to see in a sequel to Fury Road, which had such a brilliantly powerful yet simple story, built around a car chase? Of course not. On the other hand somebody further up wanted to see a Brotherhood-of-Steel style Chinese dropship so maybe you do.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I remember reading or hearing an interview with Miller where he was talking about a gyrocopter sequence in Fury Road that was never shot.

Expanding on something like that might be cool.

I definitely agree the next one should move on from Furiosa and the citadel which will be a shame. I just hope Miller has another fantastic female character in him that wouldn't be a Furiosa clone.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

freebooter posted:

Max is a cipher. Every movie is always going to be built around the structure of the lone wanderer encountering some people, being reluctant to help them, eventually securing a better life for them and then melting off into the wasteland again. It's a very old trope from storytelling. Even the Man With No Name in the Eastwood films seems old now, but it dates all the way back to the idea of ronin or knights errant, probably further back than that.

It's also a neat little explanation for the reboot - for why Max is a different actor and why the events of the four films don't make chronological sense. You can think of Max as being a sort of legend of the wasteland, with all kinds of different heroes being mapped onto him as an icon.

Which is why I wouldn't want to see a sequel which is anything other than Max in his Interceptor again, encountering an entirely new location and set of characters. Furiosa, the wives, the Citadel - their story is over. You can think about the power vacuum and the adjustment of the Citadel into a more humane society, but is that really, actually, the kind of story you want to see in a sequel to Fury Road, which had such a brilliantly powerful yet simple story, built around a car chase? Of course not. On the other hand somebody further up wanted to see a Brotherhood-of-Steel style Chinese dropship so maybe you do.

Max isn't interchangeable with just every lone drifter in story history he's a much more narrowly defined character with really just one arc; he hasn't been given the flexibility to do a Yojimbo thing or temporarily ally with the Humungus to rob the gas rig then betray him. i don't even give a little bit of a poo poo about postapocalyptic canonicity or whatever there's just a limit to how many ways you can tell the same story in the same setting with the same themes, and I think with Fury Road we've seen the limit of what can be entertainingly done without bringing something new into the mix. Could be wrong and Miller's got something wild up his sleeve, but as it stands if they're gonna keep making Mad Max movies they gotta do something to keep it fresh and Max himself is the most restrictive and, really, inessential component to a Mad Max movie. Rebuilding civilization is probably not in the cards as that seems pretty thematically jarring and not what the movies are really about but there's plenty of different stories could be told about people preserving or recovering their humanity in the Hobbesian demolition derby hellscape in different ways from literally the exact same way Max has done it for three films.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 15, 2016

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

freebooter posted:

And they literally called him The Man With No Name in Thunderdome.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Max himself is the most restrictive and, really, inessential component to a Mad Max movie.

Those two things are opposites. Max is not restrictive at all, precisely because he's not essential. He's a framing device, a viewer surrogate. Fury Road isn't his story, it's the story of Furiosa and the wives and Nux and Joe. The next movie will be the story of a bunch of other people he stumbles across, and I'm sure it will be just as good.

The only really fundamental ingredients of a Mad Max film are Max himself, and a post-apocalyptic society that revolves around cars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Luminous Obscurity posted:

If any nation was going to survive a Mad Max apocalypse I'd go with somewhere small, sane, and remote. So Iceland, I guess.

Iceland is barely scraping by as it is though. If an apocalypse happened they would be back to bloodfeuds and human sacrificing in no time.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Iceland would starve to death without anyone with which to sell cod.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Joke's on us when some weirdo fruit loop island like Nova Scotia is the seat of global power after everyone else cannibalizes themselves.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Joke's on us when some weirdo fruit loop island like Nova Scotia is the seat of global power after everyone else cannibalizes themselves.

The joke is pretty much always on Iceland.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You know, something else that they could explore in a sequel (that would be much more general and applicable ) is the whole guzzoline crisis.

I always remembered Mad Max movies as people fighting over Guzzoline. But in Fury Road water seemed much more critical. The only time guzzoline became relevant was when Furiosa was gonna barter the fuel pod for safe passage, and the People Eater complaining about how much guzzoline got spent. Of course we also don't know what Gastown's annual oil production is or anything like that. But it seemed like in Fury Road these resources were fairly stable, just isolated in the hands of the various warlords.

An interesting sequel would be where they really focus on how scarce guzzoline is, how critical it is for survival, and the lengths people are going to go to get it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

david_a posted:

I was trying to understand where MrL_JaKiri was drawing the line with that statement. Editing? He does not have an editing credit on T1, T2, or The Abyss, for example. The ones he does have credits may be argued as the bloated ones - True Lies, Titanic, Avatar (and Strange Days, which he didn't direct but does seem way too long for what it was).

Why cookie Rocket posted:

What about Terminator? Or is that a "broken clock twice a day" thing in your opinion?

Also, hi Jakiri, long time no see.

I don't think it's a coincidence that his three best films (T1, T2, Aliens) are also the shortest, which are also ones where GAH was present and JC doesn't have an editing credit.

Also hi Nefud what's the haps, you might like Mummy on the Orient Express

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

GAH was present

GAH?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gale Anne Hurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Panfilo posted:

You know, something else that they could explore in a sequel (that would be much more general and applicable ) is the whole guzzoline crisis.

I always remembered Mad Max movies as people fighting over Guzzoline. But in Fury Road water seemed much more critical. The only time guzzoline became relevant was when Furiosa was gonna barter the fuel pod for safe passage, and the People Eater complaining about how much guzzoline got spent. Of course we also don't know what Gastown's annual oil production is or anything like that. But it seemed like in Fury Road these resources were fairly stable, just isolated in the hands of the various warlords.

An interesting sequel would be where they really focus on how scarce guzzoline is, how critical it is for survival, and the lengths people are going to go to get it.

That's literally the second film you've described. If Lord Humongus got control of the pumping station/refinery, he would literally become king of the Wasteland and why Pappagallo was determined to have it destroyed than have it fall into his hands. It's also a bit of the third film, since Auntie Entity has made Bartertown a prime destination thanks to Master-Blaster's technique of refining methane from pig waste and the plot is largely forwarded by her scheme to get Master-Blaster (and Bartertown by it's extension) back under her control.

• Locked thread