Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I was talking about dual wielding as in equipping two weapons. As in having two different weapons in your inventory, equipped. Not just the visual graphic of having two things in your hands. That's what I mean by Bloodborne not having dual wielding. Yeah you can "dual wield" the BoM but that's still one item with one moveset, you can't do any sort of moveset mixing like you could in DS2. If you equip an offhand in DS3 you can use it for exactly one attack, its R1 (which you activate by hitting L2 :psyduck:)

I don't get the distinction you're trying to make here. like if you're holding two weapons and using two weapons to attack at the same time, you're dual wielding. lamenting the loss of options that dark souls 2 afforded you is one thing, but that doesn't stop the drang weapons or w/e from allowing you to dual wield here. that's a thing you can do in dark souls 3 and in bloodborne. it being tied to specific weapons now doesn't change what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

First one is Autumn of this year
We're about a month out from E3 where they may preview a bit of it and more importantly announce their next game

cheers m8

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fargin Icehole posted:

So it's not just me. I was seriously getting worried there.

It feels like I'm playing Dark souls 1 on the 360 again with all this weird stuttering

I probably would have needed two less tries on Aldrich without the sudden introduction of "Now instead of occasional hitches you barely notice, have fun with your scene cut from fleeing arrows, to getting loving trashed by arrows and kamehamehas!"

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really miss something akin to the chalice dungeons. Yeah they were repetitive and kinda boring, but it gave me something to farm, and something to mess around with on characters I really enjoyed playing, but didn't want to just do the endless, changeless NG+ grind.

I think root chalice dungeons are kind of fun to play to see the randomized layouts the game puts together.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't get the distinction you're trying to make here. like if you're holding two weapons and using two weapons to attack at the same time, you're dual wielding. lamenting the loss of options that dark souls 2 afforded you is one thing, but that doesn't stop the drang weapons or w/e from allowing you to dual wield here. that's a thing you can do in dark souls 3 and in bloodborne. it being tied to specific weapons now doesn't change what it is

I think he's talking about equipping in the left hand slot being a better form of dual wielding than your right hand slot functioning as dual wielding alone. Whereas you could mix and match before thanks to powerstancing now it's a lot more limited since the left hand is just for parry weapons and shields, maybe catalysts if you're fancy.

Like yeah drang hammers let you dual wield but you won't get a good dual wield moveset by holding a drag hammer and a greathammer. Just the basics of each.

Or maybe he means something else idk

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
^^ That is exactly what I'm talking about.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well the whole complaint from the beginning was that in DS3, you can't use an offhand weapon to complement a different mainhand weapon. I wanted to have a character use a UGS or something big and clunky in one hand, and then have like a dagger or shortsword in the other. And you can do that, kind of, except all you can do with the offhand is spam R1. You can't do R2s, roll attacks, jump attacks, backstep attacks, plunging attacks, anything. So in the case of those weapons, you miss out on the thrust attack which is a key part of their moveset -- but you can inexplicably guard with your offhand, which is stupid since if I wanted to guard with my offhand I'd equip a goddamned shield. In DS2 you had the full moveset of the offhand weapon, and with some weapon combos you could powerstance which was an additional moveset.

The other thing about dual wielding in the "equip two weapons" sense is that you can have different weapon types (thrust in one hand, strike in the other) or different infusions and make good use of them, and that is 100% something you cannot do with the BB/DS3 twin weapons.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So I came across this large group of bloodstains near the Church bonfire in Irithyll.

That ghost there? All of the bloodstains I checked were of him jumping off. And as I stood there, the ghost ran off the edge too. Whatever floats your boat I guess :iiam:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

^^ That is exactly what I'm talking about.

Well the whole complaint from the beginning was that in DS3, you can't use an offhand weapon to complement a different mainhand weapon. I wanted to have a character use a UGS or something big and clunky in one hand, and then have like a dagger or shortsword in the other. And you can do that, kind of, except all you can do with the offhand is spam R1. You can't do R2s, roll attacks, jump attacks, backstep attacks, plunging attacks, anything. So in the case of those weapons, you miss out on the thrust attack which is a key part of their moveset -- but you can inexplicably guard with your offhand, which is stupid since if I wanted to guard with my offhand I'd equip a goddamned shield. In DS2 you had the full moveset of the offhand weapon, and with some weapon combos you could powerstance which was an additional moveset.

The other thing about dual wielding in the "equip two weapons" sense is that you can have different weapon types (thrust in one hand, strike in the other) or different infusions and make good use of them, and that is 100% something you cannot do with the BB/DS3 twin weapons.

no I get that and I understand where you're coming from because power stance having such a broad array of options was cool. saying bloodborne doesn't have dual wielding is disingenuous tho because it totally does. what it does not have is power stance, which is what you want

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArSmXmm9ggs
I found that this trick is easily repeated :v: (SL15 invader)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Manatee, you're incorrect.

Powerstance refers specifically to the ability to have three special attacks unlocked when you attempt to two-hand a valid powerstance combination. DS3 more or less has powerstancing by baking it into a couple of weapons.

Ryoko is correct, but what he should be saying is "a full left-handed moveset".

DS2 was much, much more flexible and better designed when it came to weapon movesets... and a lot of other areas tied to gameplay really.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 14, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
DS2 two fist weapons on release that were cool and good. Then the DLC added the bone fists, which were amazing.

My inability to punch in this game is making me extremely sad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

oh well then yea I'm dumb then

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

DS2 two fist weapons on release that were cool and good. Then the DLC added the bone fists, which were amazing.

My inability to punch in this game is making me extremely sad.

the perseverance weapon art on the caestus can allow you to trash a lot of people. it kind of only works on morons though

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

How DS3 handles movesets is an extreme step back from DS2.

In DS2, each and every single weapon had three full movesets baked in:

A right-handed moveset.
A left-handed moveset.
A power-stanced moveset.

When you power-stance, the weapon in the right hand actually switches out its whole moveset for the power-stanced one.

If DS3 had built upon DS2 like it should have, we could very well have seen weapons that did a huge variety of things. My Keyblade had over 20 separate attacks. You just cannot do that with the trash DS1/DS3 system.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 14, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

This seems to be a weird controller issue in general. I was telling a buddy that sometimes after big periods of play, my DS4 would randomly lapse in connection here and there for a second for seemingly no reason. Then they said they were having the same problem but with a steam controller. Then another pal also using a DS4 said it as well.

This happens with my DS4 too, often when I open the steam overlay, but most often when I lay the controller flat for a moment, which is really weird. Pretty sure it's some weirdness specific to this game.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

If DS3 had built upon DS2 like it should have, we could very well have seen weapons that did a huge variety of things.

all these options and id still end up going back to straight sword/estoc offhand for the 3hit combo and awesome range of moves thanks to estoc's r2 sweep

instead im using a straight sword and halberd offhand
what a god drat shame

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MadJackMcJack posted:

So I came across this large group of bloodstains near the Church bonfire in Irithyll.

That ghost there? All of the bloodstains I checked were of him jumping off. And as I stood there, the ghost ran off the edge too. Whatever floats your boat I guess :iiam:

Beating pontif makes you highly likely to be invaded soon after beating it. Like, right outside the door is a highly popular fight club spot, and hackers were frequenting that area. So they are probably killing themselves to get rid of the ember and avoid all that.

Now, if you mean they were killing themselves in the prior church bonfire BEFORE the boss, then I have no loving idea.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 14, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fereydun posted:

all these options and id still end up going back to straight sword/estoc offhand for the 3hit combo and awesome range of moves thanks to estoc's r2 sweep

instead im using a straight sword and halberd offhand
what a god drat shame

You can use the halberd's R2 in your offhand? Somehow I doubt it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GulagDolls posted:

the perseverance weapon art on the caestus can allow you to trash a lot of people. it kind of only works on morons though

It doesn't matter when I do absolutely garbage damage so finishing anyone off is impossible.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArSmXmm9ggs
I found that this trick is easily repeated :v: (SL15 invader)

I don't know what's going on here

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

You can use the halberd's R2 in your offhand? Somehow I doubt it.

nope, i'm using the halberd's r1 in my offhand
while pressing l2

because i need that range/quick swapping to 2h halberd for some reason

i can't imagine a great reason to use the r2 on a halberd one handed

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I could imagine wanting to use the Partizan's.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

It doesn't matter when I do absolutely garbage damage so finishing anyone off is impossible.

whats your "build"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GulagDolls posted:

whats your "build"

Just using heavy caestus while pumping strength since that seemed like the best way to get damage out of them. If there's a better way, I'd love to hear it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, the caestus is useful just because it has quick parries and can be used to apply perseverance to other weapons with stronger attacks, not because it is good by itself. Which is a huge shame.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i got pretty god damned good damage out of refined caestus around level 70 with ~35 str and dex the rest of the points in vigor

it doesnt work in invasions generally because you can't chase .00001 nanosecond healing people with fists

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Just using heavy caestus while pumping strength since that seemed like the best way to get damage out of them. If there's a better way, I'd love to hear it.

Hollow Caestus with Rouge :shepface:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know what's going on here

He cut the bridge as a phantom and the host ran off without looking is my guess.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It is a crime that the Vanquisher's Seal isn't back.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

caestus has an even split for scaling in str/dex so yea refined is probably better than heavy. uninfused might even be better than refined. idk what the scaling is like, but you lose like 20 ar going from normal to refined so

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 14, 2016

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Manatee Cannon posted:

caestus has an even split for scaling in str/dex so yea refined is probably better than hard. uninfused might even be better than refined. idk what the scaling is like, but you lose like 20 ar going from normal to refined so

OR just infuse them with fire because they're not gonna be much good as a primary weapon anyway, so you may as well have fire on your hands like god intended.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tallgeese posted:

I could imagine wanting to use the Partizan's.

It's so disappointing that the damage on the partizan is so lovely because it was one of my favorites in DS2. Great range, diverse move set, and reasonable damage especially with the Leo Ring.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

My...my blood! He, he punched out all my blood

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Don't bother with Hollow especially at low SL but do put on all the resins and eat all the grass.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

HOW DO I MAKE THE FISTS NOT SUCK?!? :negative:

Seriously, I can't even beat invading reds with them. At this point in the game when I got invaded on my pike build, I killed the reds before they landed a single hit. Now I dance around with them for 5 minutes before I finally lose. Pretty much the only way I can see myself ever winning a fight is comboing someone low and then parrying them, but even with the hornet ring the parries don't do enough damage. Its damage. The damage is god awful and driving me crazy. Is there some way to actually get good damage out of these lovely things?!?

What's your build, and what infusion are you using? Heavy infusion gives the caestus A scaling and 148 base damage at +10. Compare that to the very-popular Long Sword, which is A scaling and 203 base damage at +10. But if you successfully land a hit, you'll get 4 strikes with the caestus vs 2 strikes with the long sword before your opponent can roll away; the caestus comes out way ahead in damage in that kind of circumstance.

... are you forgetting to 2-hand and use the dual-wielding attacks?

Caestus has always had bad parry/backstab damage, in all of the souls games. You're not supposed to use it for that. If you parry then you switch to something with a lot of base damage and use that instead. Luckily the caestus itself can parry, so you put your big slow weapon in your right hand and your caestus in the left, and if you bother parrying someone then you use the big slow weapon for damage.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Section Z posted:

Beating pontif makes you highly likely to be invaded soon after beating it. Like, right outside the door is a highly popular fight club spot, and hackers were frequenting that area. So they are probably killing themselves to get rid of the ember and avoid all that.

Now, if you mean they were killing themselves in the prior church bonfire BEFORE the boss, then I have no loving idea.

I know about the fight club, and yea, I've jumped off a cliff to de-ember since that area is a pain in the arse without 2 invaders. But this was before the boss, and it wasn't several different people, it was all one guy, the guy with the onion helmet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

caestus has an even split for scaling in str/dex so yea refined is probably better than heavy. uninfused might even be better than refined. idk what the scaling is like, but you lose like 20 ar going from normal to refined so

Refined caestus is still only C/C scaling, so you may as well go uninfused

But Heavy is actually very effective if you're using a strength build

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This spot marks our grave...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MadJackMcJack posted:

I know about the fight club, and yea, I've jumped off a cliff to de-ember since that area is a pain in the arse without 2 invaders. But this was before the boss, and it wasn't several different people, it was all one guy, the guy with the onion helmet.

In that case, if it was the same guy killing himself over and over, the only thing I can think of is trying to up your hollow stat, because that goes up per death :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

In that case, if it was the same guy killing himself over and over, the only thing I can think of is trying to up your hollow stat, because that goes up per death :v:

This is the most likely thing, although I did it at firelink because I could talk to the guy easily for faster hollowing. You only have to die 2 times to get the next Evil Level, except for the last one which is 1 time.

Although the fog wall in front of the suicide cliff does make it take longer so maybe his way really is faster even without getting more curse.