Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Medieval recreationist just told the audience that the sword was the perfrct and the most legendary weapon of the era (maybe it holds true for Baltics in 13 century?)

Most legendary yes, but far from perfect (even in Lithuania).

Post pics pls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
that would be the handgun, OP

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

that would be the handgun, OP

eh, maybe not the medieval handgun

i'd go with the spear, the king of weapons, both for infantry and cavalry

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
found a muster roll that makes mention of proto-uniforms:

"This Compagnie has a blue and white Standard, on which is painted Fortuna standing on a winged bullet, with this verse, Fortunam reverenter habe, likewise the banners on the trumpets, and the riders wear long coats in blue, trimmed with white." (Mustered in in 1619)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 15, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Plan Z posted:

While giving tours, I'm finding the younger kids up to about 15-20 are a little more knowledgeable, or at the very least willing to learn. I think it's mostly because they're still in a school mindset or are just interested enough to be mesmerized by seeing stuff outside a book for once. I think baby-boomers are by far the worst (big surprise), usually interrupting to regurgitate internet/History Channel myths and cultural/political biases. In some cases it's obvious that they just made stuff up on the spot to seem smart.

My favorite one was a guy who saw our MG-42 and insisted, insisted that half of all rounds afforded to crews were blanks because "the sound was scary enough." I could not convince him otherwise and you could tell he claimed victory in his mind because I didn't want to bog down the tour. And then there's the Garand helmet ping myth that gets parroted by the type of guy who you know locks down the counter at every local gun store for at least an hour per visit when we get to the American weapons display.

What's a "helmet ping"? Or is it just the general myth that the garand's "ping" was a serious vulnerability?

chitoryu12 posted:

The best part of War Thunder is one-shotting Tigers with the lowest tier Shermans (especially the 105mm howitzer with HEAT) by going through their side or rear armor and blowing up their ammo or setting their fuel tanks on fire. The Tiger is distinguished by a really good gun and fairly tough armor, but it's realistically nowhere close to invincible and the flat shape of the armor doesn't help its defenses at all.

On the other hand, the KV-2 is extremely unrealistically powerful in Arcade because the player gets an estimated impact marker and thus doesn't have to mentally compensate for the huge drop of the slow shell.

You can go through the front if it's flat! :toot:

KV-2 is also good in realistic if you get good at guessing ranges/have high rangefinding on the crew. But yeah tiger is maybe a little overtiered considering it's competing with the Panther at the same BR which has better speed, better armour, artillery, and can respawn twice/isn't hosed on spawn costs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Okay, when I was playing ~Men of War~ I was told that the best thing to do in at least some situations was to angle tanks at about a 30% angle towards the expected direction the enemy will be shooting from. This makes armour more effective, because shells won't hit your armour straight on.

Is this a real thing?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

Okay, when I was playing ~Men of War~ I was told that the best thing to do in at least some situations was to angle tanks at about a 30% angle towards the expected direction the enemy will be shooting from. This makes armour more effective, because shells won't hit your armour straight on.

Is this a real thing?

Yes.

from the Tigerfibel.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Fangz posted:

Is this a real thing?

I though armor angling was one of the criticisms of World of Tanks

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fangz posted:

Is this a real thing?

We used the term 'Reichtangle' to describe a properly angled Tiger I in WoT.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

I though armor angling was one of the criticisms of World of Tanks

For one thing, you need a lot of confidence in your side armour, and for another, you're much better off not getting hit in the first place. With the tiger having neutral steer and spending a long time with good effective armour even to the sides I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fairly unique case.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I love that they use cutting a sauage to help explain armour deflection angles. So drat German.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I just finished that book I mentioned, The Battle of Alamein: Turning Point, World War II by John Bierman and Colin Smith. Pretty good book, heavy on the personal accounts and details from all nations involved. I came in knowing very little about the North African campaign in WW2 and ended up enjoying it a good deal.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

spectralent posted:

What's a "helmet ping"? Or is it just the general myth that the garand's "ping" was a serious vulnerability?

Supposedly the Germans would wait for the ping to come out of cover and kill everyone so the crafty GI would keep a spare empty enbloc on himself to throw at a hard object like a helmet. This would simulate the ping out jumps jerry and he eats a face full of .30-06

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

spectralent posted:

For one thing, you need a lot of confidence in your side armour, and for another, you're much better off not getting hit in the first place. With the tiger having neutral steer and spending a long time with good effective armour even to the sides I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fairly unique case.

You also want to be really really sure you aren't flanked and turning your side flatter to an enemy on the side, even just an enemy a ways down their line.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

Is this a real thing?

It's a real thing in the sense that angled armour deflects shots better, but the caveat is that you need to know precisely where the enemy is in order to avoid overexposing your side. If you know precisely where the enemy is, the best course of action is to just shoot them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a lot more straightforward to just put armor on the tank at an angle.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Supposedly the Germans would wait for the ping to come out of cover and kill everyone so the crafty GI would keep a spare empty enbloc on himself to throw at a hard object like a helmet. This would simulate the ping out jumps jerry and he eats a face full of .30-06

Huh. That one I've not heard before.

It wouldn't surprise me if that one turned out to be a thing that happened once (or someone swears happened once) that turned into "this was a standard tactic".

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
It's atop tier red orchestra 2 thing. You can endlessly make pinging noises to demoralise the enemy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
First time I read it it was about Korea and Norks

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

JcDent posted:

Medieval recreationist just told the audience that the sword was the perfrct and the most legendary weapon of the era (maybe it holds true for Baltics in 13 century?)

Sword? You mean the knife! Yes, from the lowliest pocket knife to the workmanlike Roman gladius, to the largest Scottish claymore, knives of various lengths, thicknesses, edges, handles, etc., have been used for so many things throughout the ages.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cheerfullydrab posted:

Sword? You mean the knife! Yes, from the lowliest pocket knife to the workmanlike Roman gladius, to the largest Scottish claymore, knives of various lengths, thicknesses, edges, handles, etc., have been used for so many things throughout the ages.
hmm, yes, but have you thought of putting a knife on a stick? the stick could be about your height, but it could also be longer...lots longer.

think about it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HEY GAL posted:

hmm, yes, but have you thought of putting a knife on a stick? the stick could be about your height, but it could also be longer...lots longer.

think about it

The point at which a knife becomes a sword and vice versa is a lot harder to pinpoint than the point at which a knife becomes a pike.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A pike is just a knife with a really fuckng long handle.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Does that make a sword a pike with a really short handle and a really long blade?

Is a bullet a pike without a handle and a really short head?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
where is this nasty little thing on the spectrum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goedendag

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A gun is an easy-to-use throwing pike.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What if the pike has a bayonet lug, attachment for launching rifle grenades and a pistol grip?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Explosive pikes have already been invented

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

A gun is an easy-to-use throwing pike.

a gun is an atlatl with ambitions

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Animal posted:

Explosive pikes have already been invented

Indeed:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I prefer my pikes to have rocket engines in the back and multiple independent reentry vehicles armed with thermonuclear bombs in the point.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Only the best for your mom, eh?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Did you know that many houses even today are held together by entire tercios worth of tiny, handle-less pikes? It's true!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Surely there's only one greatest weapon of the era, the longest era?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Hats is just little pikes for your head

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Has anyone killed anybody with a pickelhaube?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

spectralent posted:

Huh. That one I've not heard before.

It wouldn't surprise me if that one turned out to be a thing that happened once (or someone swears happened once) that turned into "this was a standard tactic".

That, and there seems to be a lot of... extrapolation when people see certain devices. Like the guy talking about the MG42 blanks probably saw that famous old movie teaching GIs about the different MG noises and thought "Everyone was scared of the MG42, so they could fire blanks to have the same effect! My idea seems likely enough that it must have happened." Likewise, someone sees that ping and all kinds of thoughts enter their minds, most of which do not take in any realities of combat.

It's especially bad when a myth originates from soldiers' stories, even when they're very obviously erroneous. Besides the line of myths that come up when I get to the Sherman tank, the most common one I've heard is how American weapons, especially the M1 Carbine, could not penetrate the thick coats of NK/PRC troops in Korea. That one has gotten contentious twice because on top of all of the various answers, the top one is "The GIs missed their shots." Both of these people got insanely offended that any US Veteran could be wrong and how dare I and what's my source. It's been teaching me to watch how I answer certain questions.

That said, I dig doing the Q&As as people finally get to answer the questions they've always been curious about instead of someone talking for an hour about things they have no concern about.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 14, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Fangz posted:

There's only one way to be sure! Godspeed.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fangz posted:

War's True Horrors: http://dai.ly/x2ipqxp?start=1007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Plan Z posted:

That, and there seems to be a lot of... extrapolation when people see certain devices. Like the guy talking about the MG42 blanks probably saw that famous old movie teaching GIs about the different MG noises and thought "Everyone was scared of the MG42, so they could fire blanks to have the same effect! My idea seems likely enough that it must have happened." Likewise, someone sees that ping and all kinds of thoughts enter their minds, most of which do not take in any realities of combat.

It's especially bad when a myth originates from soldiers' stories, even when they're very obviously erroneous. Besides the line of myths that come up when I get to the Sherman tank, the most common one I've heard is how American weapons, especially the M1 Carbine, could not penetrate the thick coats of NK/PRC troops in Korea. That one has gotten contentious twice because on top of all of the various answers, the top one is "The GIs missed their shots." Both of these people got insanely offended that any US Veteran could be wrong and how dare I and what's my source. It's been teaching me to watch how I answer certain questions.

That said, I dig doing the Q&As as people finally get to answer the questions they've always been curious about instead of someone talking for an hour about things they have no concern about.

If you ever get that mg42 blanks bullshit again here is why it's impossible: a blank won't cycle the bolt on an automatic. Without the bullet to build pressure there just isn't enough force. When guns fire blanks they need a way to keep pressures high enough to cycle the bolt. The most common is a blank firing device which is usually a thing that fits over the muzzle to keep the gasses from escaping too quick. Firing regular ammo out of a gun with a blank firing adapter on it is NOT a good idea.

Oh yeah and blanks fired without a BFA attached don't sound like much. Less impressive than your average cap gun.

A belt fed MG that alternated blanks with live rounds would get off one shot then just puff a wet fart and stop. You would need to manually clear the fired blank as it wouldn't even have enough has to eject.

• Locked thread