Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

ductonius posted:

Where are you that mobile dishwashers are common? I have seen exactly one not-built-in household dishwasher in my life. It was my parents, when I was a child, over two decades ago.

I think he means built-in in the sense of having cabinetry fronts so you can't tell they're there when the doors are closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When people are talking about built-in appliances they're talking about SECRET appliances

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ductonius posted:

Where are you that mobile dishwashers are common? I have seen exactly one not-built-in household dishwasher in my life. It was my parents, when I was a child, over two decades ago.

I've got one that came with my house and it's a complete turd and a huge hassle to move it over to the sink and use.

I can't wait to knock out some cabinets and install a permanent unit

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

When people are talking about built-in appliances they're talking about SECRET appliances

For some reason this photo looks fake, like it was some college student's 3D modeling & rendering assignment. All the stark colors, really smooth wood pattern, and the glass positioned to have neat lighting effects happen to it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For some reason this photo looks fake, like it was some college student's 3D modeling & rendering assignment. All the stark colors, really smooth wood pattern, and the glass positioned to have neat lighting effects happen to it.

Also that the right sink would be in the way of the dishwasher, so the faucet just rotates over a flat surface (or really shallow sink).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

TVs Ian posted:

Also that the right sink would be in the way of the dishwasher, so the faucet just rotates over a flat surface (or really shallow sink).

It'll be a drainer, so yes, really shallow.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Call the fire marshal!

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4j6583/can_my_hoa_lock_me_into_my_pool/

quote:

The community pool has just opened for the summer and the HOA has changed the door lock around a bit. I am worried about safety and legality of the change.
Previously we a key lock that disengaged a magnet so the door could open. From the inside you could hit a button to disengage the magnet. Now we are issued an electronic key fob that will unlock the door. They have disabled the button to disengage the magnet entirely. What this means from a practical perspective is I cannot leave unless I have a key fob on my person. Additionally, the key fob only works from 8am to 10pm. If you are in the pool area at 10:01pm you cannot get out.
This worries me for a few reasons, a simple scenario is I am out at the pool with my wife and kids and she leaves with the kids but I stay. She takes the key fob and I am now locked into the pool. A less realistic by more terrifying scenario is my kid grabs the key fob and leaves the pool area and I can no longer get to them at all because I am trapped.
The pool is gated with a 7 foot gate with metal spikes on top, so jumping the fence is... ill-advised. There is an open shelter/cabana area and restrooms. I believe there is also running clean drinking water in a water fountain. The area is monitored with security cameras. There is a phone attached to the wall for emergencies that only calls the security office (and probably 911 but I haven't tested that).
I contacted the HOA president via email with my concerns and he responded that the security company that set all this up has 'consulted with legal entities to ensure legality of the situation'. This irritates me on a few levels, the biggest being this wasn't an oversight and the legal issue was considered before implementing this thing which means people thought it might be illegal because it is a bad idea. But I will just stick to the facts I know for sure.
I believe the whole reason that this is even being implemented is because people may have stayed in the pool area past 10pm, though I have never seen this and I live next to the pool. I cannot hear the pool from my house and other homes could, so perhaps they have complained.
My questions to this community are:
Is the scenario I described above legal? (This is in South Carolina)
If it is not legal, what should my next step be to get rid of it?
If it is legal, what should my next step be to get rid of it?

Stay at the pool a moment past 10PM? Stay there allllllll night.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Call the fire marshal!

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4j6583/can_my_hoa_lock_me_into_my_pool/

The solution is to stay in the pool area past 10 o'clock, attempt to leave, then call 911. Fire fighters love smashing poo poo. Repeat daily.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Nitrox posted:

The solution is to stay in the pool area past 10 o'clock, attempt to leave, then call 911. Fire fighters love smashing poo poo. Repeat daily.

And Fire Marshalls love handing out fines for stupid poo poo like this too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
We have a magnetic lock like that at the paid dog park I take my spoiled-rear end dog to. Members get to access the park from 6am-9pm. Plebs gotta pay at the front desk 9-5. It has a push-bar on the exit side so you can butt your way out when your arms are full of dog leads. I'm sure this dude's pool has a way to exit without a fob unlocking it.

My dog is also way cuter then that dude's kids.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

We have a magnetic lock like that at the paid dog park I take my spoiled-rear end dog to. Members get to access the park from 6am-9pm. Plebs gotta pay at the front desk 9-5. It has a push-bar on the exit side so you can butt your way out when your arms are full of dog leads. I'm sure this dude's pool has a way to exit without a fob unlocking it.

I wouldn't bet on it. Doing dumb as poo poo that is both dangerous and not up to code is the HoA specialty.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

My dog is also way cuter then that dude's kids.

I mean he specifically says that it used to have a way and now there isn't a way. But I'm sure you're right.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Found a fun new thing at my new rental house. A combination outlet/lightswitch in the kitchen electrifies the box (and the brushed metal faceplate) when the switch is off. I can't figure out how it is doing it though because it only happens when it is off but doesn't happen when it is outside the box.

The good news is that when I discovered the hot faceplate I also discovered that the new GFCI I had installed a week ago works perfectly.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Double throw switch with the second position terminal shorting against the box.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I thought that and that's why I pulled the outlet but it is single throw.

:iiam:

The switch is for some recessed lights behind smoked glass which line the sides of and point at a random mirror in the kitchen. The whole thing is a real atrocity of WTF design so I'll probably just ask the landlord to swap in a standard receptacle.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
My husband was doing reno work on a place and got bit in the rear end by flat bidding removing a lino floor thinking it would be a one day job.

The house at one point had put carpet over very nice hardwood floors. And then in the kitchen laid the lino over the carpet pad. Which did not like to come off the hardwood. It took him 3 days chiselling fake tile/lino off the floor.

I really need to take a camera to some of these job sites, since the guy my man usually subs under specializes in buying up horrible diy nightmares and converting them into multi family places. Some of the things he's seen...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Literal crappy construction, and an object lesson in why the sump should not drain through the sewer:

From here, not much to see but there is a lovely pic of a shower: https://www.good.is/articles/slum-lord-shaming-on-social-media

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
This is probably completely legitimate and reasonable, but I saw this earlier today and had to go back for a pic:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Were the power lines on the new pole and low voltage poo poo still on the hanging pole?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Load bearing voltage lines

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Slanderer posted:

This is probably completely legitimate and reasonable, but I saw this earlier today and had to go back for a pic:

I see stuff like this done on a permanent basis all the time. They set a new pole, but instead of actually moving the wires and poo poo to it, they just scoot the old pole over and lash it to the new one with some steel strapping, bolts, or wood. It's done so much I have to assume it's ok, but it always looks like a terrible hack job.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

totalnewbie posted:

They should have fixed it by putting the garage in the basement.

Even in a split entry with a basement level garage, sometimes it's still too steep. My driveway is quite steep but nothing like my neighbors. If he doesn't blow out the snow and salt immediately when it snows, even a 4x4 can't get up the driveway. At least it has a transition though so you won't bottom out at the top. I sometimes scrape my bumper when I pull out of my driveway if I don't get the angle right.

Hell, my snowblower has tire chains on it so it doesn't slip. If my driveway was on grade, it would be as steep as the ridiculous driveway.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

I see stuff like this done on a permanent basis all the time. They set a new pole, but instead of actually moving the wires and poo poo to it, they just scoot the old pole over and lash it to the new one with some steel strapping, bolts, or wood. It's done so much I have to assume it's ok, but it always looks like a terrible hack job.

In most places, the power company is responsible for building and maintaining the poles, and the low voltage providers (telephone, cable tv, fiber optic carriers) are allowed on the pole by agreement or local code. Which means when the power company replaces a pole, they've got to wait for the low voltage providers to come move their lines to the new pole before the old one can be removed. When the low voltage providers drag their rear end, then you end up with the multi-pole scenario.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

canyoneer posted:

Call the fire marshal!

I have seen the exact same setup at a condo association in Wells Maine. There is no way out unless you have a passcard.

Edit: If someone wants to find out if this is legal or not, call the Fire Marshal there and send them to the Beach Dreams condo Association on Route 1.

daslog fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 16, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Uhhhhh obviously the fire marshal wouldn't have a problem with it because if there's a fire you just grab your 400lb block of concrete and jump in the pool

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bad Munki posted:

Uhhhhh obviously the fire marshal wouldn't have a problem with it because if there's a fire you just grab your 400lb block of concrete and jump in the pool

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Bad Munki posted:

Geeze ma, the whole point of a 400lb block is that you can't move it, you would have to have it in the pool to begin with and them dive down to chain yourself to it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The water makes it lighter, man

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Where were you on the night of the fourth?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Let's count the code violations!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
All of them?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

kid sinister posted:

There's no 400lb block of concrete keeping the building secured down.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Sometimes I have to wait for somebody to explain the construction issues in the pictures.

Not this time. My knowledge is exceptionally limited, yet that picture manages to terrify me. I can't stop looking, and all I can think is " why?"

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

We might as well just light it on fire, it's bound to happen soon anyways.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
...an actual adult did this work? :ughh:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

nmfree posted:

...an actual adult did this work? :ughh:

You say that now, but I bet the TV they mounted in the corner in that top room is pretty loving snazzy.

Messadiah posted:

We might as well just light it on fire, it's bound to happen soon anyways.

If it doesn't fall down first from the weakened roof.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 17, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crap, I didn't even see the cut roof supports until you mentioned it. :stonk:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Frinkahedron posted:

There's no 400lb block of concrete keeping the building secured down.

blocky will not deign to show up in this disaster of a picture, he said no loving way.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I love that not only is this the exterior of a house, but it's weathered enough to assume it's been like that for like a year, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I like how he knew to double up the studs to support the window but right next to it there's just a notched out 2x4 under the absent ridge beam.