Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

KidDynamite posted:

Dan Gooden has magic powers because my friend was in his first amateur fight did well in the first round and gassed. So going into the second round I told him those exact words... He got tko'd. I was even wearing a silly shirt like Goosen as well.

The second best part of Matthysse-Molina was Dan Goosen's Canadian Tux. The first being him yelling "do you know who the gently caress I am" at the ring doctor when he was checking up on Molina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

One of the reasons I hope PBC never takes over completely is so we can keep swearing in boxing, where it belongs.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Povetkin failing his test sucks. That's a needed fight for Wilder's development, I think, and it could be off now. Hopefully Wilder still goes through with it, but backing out is reasonable. You're already in Russia which is a place plagued with corruption, but now your opponent has tested positive for PEDs.

In other heavyweight news:

- Lucas Browne failed his "B" sample as well, so he'll probably be stripped of his newly won WBA "Regular" title. He had to go to Chechnya to fight Ruslan Chagaev for it, and he passed a polygraph denying any knowledge of taking PEDs. Maybe they spiked his water, who knows.

- Luis Ortiz (the WBA "interim" titlist. Supposedly the WBA is trying to clean up how many belts they have) is fighting Alex Ustinov in the fall. Ustinov is a mammoth (6'7 300 pounds) guy who can't fight too well. Ortiz is expected to roll.

- Hughie Fury is passing on a fight with Dillian Whyte because he has such bad acne that it's adversely affecting him in the ring. Seriously.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 14, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

- Hughie Fury is passing on a fight with Dillian Whyte because he has such bad acne that it's adversely affecting him in the ring. Seriously.

what the entire gently caress

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

what the entire gently caress

Guessing it makes getting punched in the face much more painful.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Acne can lead to easier cuts I guess?

Source: I was a smelly teen once

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Acne can lead to easier cuts I guess?

Source: I was a smelly teen once

speaking of teens, boy jones jr has the most punchable face and the worst stage name in the sport

e:

gently caress you dude

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

speaking of teens, boy jones jr has the most punchable face and the worst stage name in the sport

e:

gently caress you dude

YA'LL MUST'VE FORGOT to remember arm day

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Great record too

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
If you've never seen Hughie Fury fight, he has boils all over his back and they sometimes burst during his fights, typically causing a time out while the doctor attends to him. Fury's manager issued a statement saying the acne is actually fairly debilitating and that Fury won't fight any world class competition until they can fix his cystic acne. So that's gross.

And the Wilder/Povetkin fight is off, unfortunately but understandably. As it was only a week out and being staged in Russia, there's no chance for Wilder to get a replacement opponent at that date. Very bad timing on this one. Wilder should hopefully schedule a fight as early as the summer so he can stay in sync with the schedule of Fury/Klitschko.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

If you've never seen Hughie Fury fight, he has boils all over his back and they sometimes burst during his fights, typically causing a time out while the doctor attends to him. Fury's manager issued a statement saying the acne is actually fairly debilitating and that Fury won't fight any world class competition until they can fix his cystic acne. So that's gross.

I actually just watched him last night, the fight against Fred Kassi (which had Boy Jones on the undercard, hence my complaint earlier.) Fury is not an easy dude to look at with no shirt. I just assumed he was on ridiculous amounts of steroids, thus causing his bridge troll complexion.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Povetkin failing his test sucks. That's a needed fight for Wilder's development, I think, and it could be off now. Hopefully Wilder still goes through with it, but backing out is reasonable. You're already in Russia which is a place plagued with corruption, but now your opponent has tested positive for PEDs.

lol what the gently caress. he should be banned

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury/status/731788228454457345

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

already deleted. what hosed up poo poo did he say this time?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jose posted:

The number of people trying to defend povetkin on this is a little sad.

really wanted to see that fight though

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

already deleted. what hosed up poo poo did he say this time?

Zionists are trying to ruin his life

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
has fury always been so publicly mentally unwell?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

He was in the public less before, so not really.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jose posted:

I don't disagree and he likely will face some sort of ban. I hoped the fight might go ahead but it's perfectly reasonable for it to not.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Canelo vacated his title. He still says he wants to make the ggg fight happen, but the writing is on the wall.

This just affirms my decision to be in the Mexicans against canelo camp.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

mike- posted:

Canelo vacated his title.

lol

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lol, Jesus

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

When even the WBC are pressuring the Mexican champ into taking the fight you think it might be time to, like, step up son

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

'Of course I'm still trying to make the fight happen.' Says the champ, while swiping the contents of his bedside table into an already overstuffed suitcase.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Canelo - Curtis Stevens is a cool fight too you muppets.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SituAsian, I'm going to consider this a 3rd option and neither of us have to take a probation.

Also would anybody in the world believe Canelo's line of "I still want to fight GGG"

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

feed canelo to brook

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Also would anybody in the world believe Canelo's line of "I still want to fight GGG"

mexicans

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I could live in a Canelo-Stevens, GGG-Jacobs world.

Granted I don't know that GGG-Jacobs could get made, and Canelo-Stevens isn't as good, but might as well start the rebuilding process somewhere.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

SituAsian, I'm going to consider this a 3rd option and neither of us have to take a probation.

Makes sense. I'm sure I'll make another dumb toxx bet that gets me probated for like a month soon enough.

Also I feel like we're buying the lead in that Canelo's team was nice enough to grant GGG's wish of just giving him the belt. What gentlemen Canelo, Oscar, Eddy Reynoso and B-hop are :)

EDIT: Speaking off burying the lead all this Canelo non-sense was clearly designed to bury the biggest boxing story in decades: Adrien Broner has just released a rap song dissing Mayweather and TMT

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhMDbODWdxcz6A17wA

https://twitter.com/AdrienBroner/status/733070879144443904

Biggest. Fight. In. Boxing.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 19, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

gtkor posted:

I could live in a Canelo-Stevens, GGG-Jacobs world.

Granted I don't know that GGG-Jacobs could get made, and Canelo-Stevens isn't as good, but might as well start the rebuilding process somewhere.

Jacobs was very quick to schedule a fight during the negotiations for Canelo-GGG

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Erislandy Lara rematching Vanes Martirosyan this weekend hahahaha. The first fight was terrible and ended in a draw, who on Earth would want to see the rematch?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Erislandy Lara rematching Vanes Martirosyan this weekend hahahaha. The first fight was terrible and ended in a draw, who on Earth would want to see the rematch?

Lara's accountant, probably.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Has anybody in here mentioned that Mayweather and McGregor are still posturing like a fight between them is remotely possible or competitive? McGregor's gone so far as to release a video of him "sparring" and it's uh, really uninspiring. I'd link the video, but the version I had was taken down. Imagine an MMA guy doing some sparring after being taught some boxing. That's what it was and how it looked.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Has anybody in here mentioned that Mayweather and McGregor are still posturing like a fight between them is remotely possible or competitive? McGregor's gone so far as to release a video of him "sparring" and it's uh, really uninspiring. I'd link the video, but the version I had was taken down. Imagine an MMA guy doing some sparring after being taught some boxing. That's what it was and how it looked.

I mean... I would :filez: stream that fight...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I honestly don't know what the endgame is, there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The endgame is McGregor and Mayweather get to keep their names in the headlines, and then McGregor goes back to getting boxed up by Nate Diaz.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

fatherdog posted:

UFC contracts specifically bar you from taking boxing matches, so even if Mayweather thinks this is happening, it isn't happening.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well McGregor is beefing with MMA right now from what I gather, so it's probably him trying to get leverage for those negotiations. I guess Floyd gets to keep his name in the headlines in the meantime or something, I'm sure he knows the score too and has his own angle.

None of that takes away from the whole thing being kinda ridiculous, but we're talking about Mayweather/McGregor here. Or just boxing and MMA. Whichever. This seems like a feature and not a bug with the way these things work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Has Mayweather said anything at all or is it just McGregor using his name?

• Locked thread