Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

How dare you guys blaspheme against the holy shell!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lethemonster posted:

I nearly bought one of the red panda models as well but then I looked a bit closer and realized they had given it... cleavage.

Looking at the photos, it isn't terrible BEWBS or anything. I think the painting accentuates the cleavage more than the actual models does. I think if you did a black chest, like a real red panda, you'd be good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lethemonster posted:

Along with that I'm going to be painting these guys and maybe a few more if I can make up my mind. I'm so excited to be painting something that isn't grim dark war machinery or heavily amoured monsters and so on. Jessica Riche and Marike Reimer are my favourite painters too, I can't wait to do ham handed versions of their paint jobs.

I nearly bought one of the red panda models as well but then I looked a bit closer and realized they had given it... cleavage.

:agreed: :eyepop: These look amazing. It's so nice to see cute animals with great NMM and other bright highlighting styles applied to them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can't post those without showing off these:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

The model version of :frogout:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
All of them are great and most wonderfully lots of the minis - especially the dogs - have the gorgeous design sketches below the pictures of the painted minis and then below that, photos of the pets that inspired them.

As well as mouslings and the Dark Sword Minis, can anyone think of any other lines with decent minis of animals or cuter creatures?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lethemonster posted:

All of them are great and most wonderfully lots of the minis - especially the dogs - have the gorgeous design sketches below the pictures of the painted minis and then below that, photos of the pets that inspired them.

As well as mouslings and the Dark Sword Minis, can anyone think of any other lines with decent minis of animals or cuter creatures?

Most recent Bones KS has some super cute halloween chibi things.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:wedass:

Wednesday frog looking good.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Lethemonster posted:

Not really designed to be cute, but WarGods of Ægyptus has a lot of human-animal miniatures designed around the Egyptian gods:

https://www.crocodilegames.com/store/itemList.cfm?catID=14&sort=prodID

The Sebeks, the Heru, and the Tethru are all really well done.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
x-postin'

Just finished my Uriel Ventris, 4th co. Captain:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The green cloak could use some more shading. Looks a bit flat compared to the white skirt and other decoration.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
Ok, here is my quick and dirty photo guide.

First off, you'll need two clip lamps with 75 watt daylight bulbs. For the light box itself, i use a white science project trip-tych board, and a sheet of white foam core for the base.

if daylight bulbs are unavailable, either the camera settings need to be matched to the type of bulb used, or bounce boards need to be used. basically, anything to diffuse the glare from the light on the model.

lastly, a small white box helps to keep the seam of the boards out of the picture by raising the model slightly.

Use something to brace the camera or your phone. leaning it against books is great and easy. (you can also variate the height of the camera.)

To make sure the color is right, either adjust the the settings in camera, or modify the finished photo. If it's a digital camera, make sure its set on macro, and the light setting matches the bulb. It also may have an apeture, contrast, birghtness, and F-stop setting. All can be adjusted to make the photo "correct."

for cell phones, most have photo-manipulation in camera. It keeps all of the raw data on the picture, so you can open the photo editing option on the phone and adjust all the same settings after taking the photo.

There are a few apps for changing the settings before taking the picture, but most standard smart phones have the basics needed to edit the photo.

no matter how you adjust the final photo, just use your eyeballs to make sure the model IRL matches the photo of it.

Lastly, when you upload to Imgur, you can adjust the posted size so you don't break tables. sadly, this is unavailable in the app so posting from your phone posts the full size of the picture.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Cool! This is good info, thanks!

I guess part of my problem is trying to take a picture with the monitor in the background for when I do Oaths, Turning on the flash helped when I took pictures at night, though they get washed out if there's enough window light (my shade isn't super great at blocking light sometimes), so it might just be I need to limit myself to taking pictures at night.

Also:

Minotaur done (or at least,table-ready for now). I'm working on some cool mouselings (a bee keeper and a druid), though imgur's being really dumb all of the sudden and won't let me uplod.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Foolster41 posted:

I guess part of my problem is trying to take a picture with the monitor in the background for when I do Oaths, Turning on the flash helped when I took pictures at night, though they get washed out if there's enough window light (my shade isn't super great at blocking light sometimes), so it might just be I need to limit myself to taking pictures at night.

Also:

Minotaur done (or at least,table-ready for now). I'm working on some cool mouselings (a bee keeper and a druid), though imgur's being really dumb all of the sudden and won't let me uplod.

The monitor will always mess up the white balance, whatever device you are using to take the picture is trying to compensate for half the photo being really bright, and the other being dark. It balances to the middle, often blowing out both at the same time. The flash evens out the light by adding a ton everywhere at the time the picture is taken, with the drawback of white-washing everything.

You could always try taking the oath fulfilled picture with the Monitor, then taking a series of other pretty pictures with just the model for showing off.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Foolster41 posted:

There's a lot of mess here, bits where silver has spilled over onto the flesh etc etc. With your next models try to focus on sticking "within the lines" and getting a nice clean coverage.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Could I get a recommendation for a decent all-around brush? I haven't painted anything in almost a decade, and I know the WN Series 7 is the gold standard, but I'm looking for something a little cheaper. Not a total piece of crap, but maybe a natural bristle brush in the $10-ish dollar range?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I have a guild ball Masons Goal Token I'm working on.

Kinda wish I could make the flutes on the shaft stand out more*, but I dunno how to do it. The testbed in the back left was washed with watered down paint, but it just ended up looking messy. I suppose I could just try to do it more neatly. I not sure I want to shade and highlight each flute though. :effort:

Any ideas? Maybe this'd be more appropriate for the terrain thread, given the subject material. :v:

* They're pretty shallow, unlike most real ionic columns.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 15, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Paint them a darker color, then drybrush on a quick highlight. Just make sure your drybrush really is mostly dry, or the paint will get into those very shallow depressions. But it should work fine.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

x-postin'

Just finished my Uriel Ventris, 4th co. Captain:

Dude is sweet. I think you could do a bit more with cloak, back of the banner, and shoulders though.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I have a guild ball Masons Goal Token I'm working on.

Kinda wish I could make the flutes on the shaft stand out more*, but I dunno how to do it. The testbed in the back left was washed with watered down paint, but it just ended up looking messy. I suppose I could just try to do it more neatly. I not sure I want to shade and highlight each flute though. :effort:

Any ideas? Maybe this'd be more appropriate for the terrain thread, given the subject material. :v:

* They're pretty shallow, unlike most real ionic columns.

Paint a thinned down brown into the cracks and then rehighlight the raised edges. Or use something like Tamiya/Vallejo smoke, GW Agrax or similar.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
First of many, hopefully.

Also started priming with an Airbrush. It's like being able to see after being blind. Or something.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rad

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Foolster41 posted:

Also:

Unless you're going for a speed paint bonus, you don't have to include the time in the background as long as the finished photo is uploaded within the time. This will make it a lot easier to get a better photo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I not sure I want to shade and highlight each flute though. :effort:

I'd base coat it your darkest color, drybrush a mid tone, then clean that up with painted highlights.

For a texture like that you don't want to paint highlights with the point of your bristles, you want to use its middle.

Easiest thing would be to take a large fat brush, get most of the paint off it, and run it sidelong down each flute with your lightest highlight color. Basically hold the brush in a perpendicular T to the flute and let the detail's shape do the work.

You might also want to consider adding moss or some green wash stains around the base and tan wash stains around the top. It's a little detail, but it'll break up the "huge block of single color" problem. (I do that for walls and fences, it should look even better on a column.)

moths fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 15, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yeast posted:

First of many, hopefully.

Also started priming with an Airbrush. It's like being able to see after being blind. Or something.

Warhammer 40skull

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Star Man posted:

Warhammer 40skull

Lies I only see one.

Two if you count the one inside the head inside the helmet.

For a GW mini that's like wearing no skulls at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwRJ5IoKTmg

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's a lot of mess here, bits where silver has spilled over onto the flesh etc etc. With your next models try to focus on sticking "within the lines" and getting a nice clean coverage.

Yeah, I like painting, but I admit I can get a bit impatient. Also the one big disadvantage of bones figures is they tend to have white spots appear in gaps after being painted, and it seems to take lots of repainting to get rid of the white spots

thespaceinvader posted:

Unless you're going for a speed paint bonus, you don't have to include the time in the background as long as the finished photo is uploaded within the time. This will make it a lot easier to get a better photo.
From my understanding of the rules, and the fact that everyone else is posting the timestamps it was a requirement. I'll ask in-thread to double check.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Foolster41 posted:

Yeah, I like painting, but I admit I can get a bit impatient. Also the one big disadvantage of bones figures is they tend to have white spots appear in gaps after being painted, and it seems to take lots of repainting to get rid of the white spots

From my understanding of the rules, and the fact that everyone else is posting the timestamps it was a requirement. I'll ask in-thread to double check.

You have to timestamp the oath picture - i.e. the unpainted mini before you start - but not the end picture, that just needs your username.

Unless the rules changed since last year.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Could I get a recommendation for a decent all-around brush? I haven't painted anything in almost a decade, and I know the WN Series 7 is the gold standard, but I'm looking for something a little cheaper. Not a total piece of crap, but maybe a natural bristle brush in the $10-ish dollar range?

Here's the problem: you buy cheap, you're going to keep putting money into brushes that crap out after a few sessions. You're going to (shortly) get to a point where if you had just spent a few extra bucks on a good brush and some brush soap, you would have saved money. A W&N Series 7 size 1 brush is $20 USD. I do most of my painting with this brush. If you go crazy and get a size 0, you'll have spent $40 for two brushes that will last you for a long time.

Save the cheap brushes for drybrushing, washes, and super fine detail (like eyes.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Here's the problem: you buy cheap, you're going to keep putting money into brushes that crap out after a few sessions. You're going to (shortly) get to a point where if you had just spent a few extra bucks on a good brush and some brush soap, you would have saved money. A W&N Series 7 size 1 brush is $20 USD. I do most of my painting with this brush. If you go crazy and get a size 0, you'll have spent $40 for two brushes that will last you for a long time.

Save the cheap brushes for drybrushing, washes, and super fine detail (like eyes.)

The Series 33 Rosemary & Co brushes is a good option too. Bought them at a recommendation from this thread and they have worked perfectly.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

The Series 33 Rosemary & Co brushes is a good option too. Bought them at a recommendation from this thread and they have worked perfectly.

Good call. Point being, buy quality tools - it will pay off in the long run.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Guess who has been asked to paint over £1000 worth of Dark Souls miniature sets from the kickstarter

It me

Pray for my airbrush

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lethemonster posted:

Guess who has been asked to paint over £1000 worth of Dark Souls miniature sets from the kickstarter

It me

Pray for my airbrush

To be fair, those models look goddamn lovely.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

berzerkmonkey posted:

You must bash around your cheap brushes like crazy if they only last a few sessions. Calm down.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

sassassin posted:

You must bash around your cheap brushes like crazy if they only last a few sessions. Calm down.

I wasn't freaking out - I was explaining that you will get a better payoff if you invest in some good brushes.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 16, 2016

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Lethemonster posted:

It me

Pray for my airbrush

Good luck, post pictures? :D

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

berzerkmonkey posted:

I wasn't freaking out - I was explaining that you will get a better payoff if you invest in some good brushes.

Stop being a dick.

Calm down when you use your brushes. The cheap one I'm using has lasted months with the bare minimum of care.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

sassassin posted:

Calm down when you use your brushes. The cheap one I'm using has lasted months with the bare minimum of care.

I retracted my statement, as I misinterpreted your phrasing - apologies.

It's not a matter of being "calm" while painting, it's a matter of quality. Cheap (especially synthetic) brushes tend to fray or suffer from curling of the tip. I've got some 10/0 and smaller brushes that I use for tiny details, and they don't seem to suffer the same fates as the larger brushes, but I suspect that is due to the lack and shortness of bristles. If you're happy with cheapo brushes, more power to you - from what I understand, James Wappel paints with craft brushes. In my experience, you'll get better results and mileage out of a better brush.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I run into problems like this with cheap brushes.

I'm planning on finally spending the money on a W&N series 7. Which size should I go for? I have a 10-0 size brush that's been good to me so I don't need a super fine one, but I don't want some huge one either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Floppychop posted:

I run into problems like this with cheap brushes.

I'm planning on finally spending the money on a W&N series 7. Which size should I go for? I have a 10-0 size brush that's been good to me so I don't need a super fine one, but I don't want some huge one either.

I like my worn out #0 and #5/0 brushes, the #0 is about right for amount of paint per drop of water, and the #5/0 is perfect for 1/3 of the previous mixture.

EDIT: Plus, I have no qualms about being rough with them to mix poo poo up