Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Holy :lol: at the CWI group we ran into on Emerald Taiga.

I don't think a match could get much lamer than that. They seriously just sat up in the mountain spawn in Recapture Territory the entire match with no intentions of engaging, sniping anyone that showed themselves, all the way until the clock hit zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sorry mumble crew, my internet connection noped the gently caress out as soon as we joined the cw queue.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nipplehammer, for when you need the stiffest nipples possible:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=382&l=d62d48062b2619f138c40d0e66225d3c2354387e

I didnt edit the front/rear armor values because :effort: use your preferred ratio. More is better when playing with goons because we cant tell the difference between Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I use to have a build similar to that on my BW, but I went with dual PPC/U-AC5s instead.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Out of curiosity, what are some warhawk builds? How do ultras fare on it? I was just noticing the ballistic quirked arms the other day.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TheParadigm posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some warhawk builds? How do ultras fare on it? I was just noticing the ballistic quirked arms the other day.

It handles UAC pretty well, and I've tried the 2 UAC-10 with LPL in the center torso, but I still prefer the 4 PPC because I'm just used to it. The UAC -30% jam chance along with the normal cool down is pretty nice though. You can get over 300 damage in pretty quick. Like all Warhawks, try not to brawl, and stay mid-long range.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So yeah, i went from 5 wins out of 21 games to 5 out of 30.
Literally impossible for a solo player that chose (the wrong) clan.
No warhawk for me i guess, unless i missed the option to cancel a merc contract early.

Should have stayed with the bears at least, or gone IS.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Just save money and buy it, there's nothing special about the reward mechs besides extra exp

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Actually it was about the free mechbay, i would have sold the warhawk without second thoughts...

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I need another mechbay sale in my life. I'm running out and don't really want to sell any of my current inventory.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Has there ever been one?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Around Christmas, I think?

It's been a while. There needs to be another.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Around Christmas, I think?

It's been a while. There needs to be another.

Yep Christmas was the last Mechbay sale. Any kind of mech sale would be great too.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
They need to keep doing CW events on a regular basis. It actually makes the mode semi fun and worth playing because it's not an endless cascade of tryhards.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Skoll posted:

They need to keep doing CW events on a regular basis. It actually makes the mode semi fun and worth playing because it's not an endless cascade of tryhards.

Truth

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TheParadigm posted:

I'm gonna quote myself in a second because I wrote a little novella about Warhawks a few pages ago, but succintly: The common builds are 4 PPC/LPL, double uAC10s (I prefer SRMs, but you can and should use LPLs for this if you're smarter than me, the range works better), boring laser vomit + gauss, and finally the rare brawlhawk. Ultras fare very well, the -30% jam chance is a fantastic quirk, much better than it sounds at first blush, and the cooldown is nice if you go with both ballistic arms, though the WHK is a little starved for non-arm hardpoints so generally you won't be able to take both if you don't use ballistics in both arms.

As for the rest:

aniviron posted:

The WHK isn't awful, but it's worse than pretty much every decent IS assault, and particularly the Stalker at the same tonnage outclasses it in every single way. On the other hand, it's better than every clan assault except the Direwolf, and it's more of just a sidegrade to the DWF.

It does alright with four PPCs, but the thing is that it's just got some really bad problems with the shape of the mech that put it in an awkward situation. It's the same size as the already-fragile DWF but 15 tons lighter, so it gets shredded when anything looks at it funny, which means it's not great at the whole "being up front leading pushes" thing that assaults are supposed to do. But there are some support assaults that take long range weapons like the ER PPC and cLPL and make it work- unfortunately, the Warhawk is a knuckle dragger, you have to expose pretty much everything but your legs to shoot, which makes it really bad at the long range support game too.

If you're determined to run it (and I am, because I'm a retard and value looks & nostalgia more than performance.) the LPLs are definitely going to net you more damage and more kills, but the ER PPCs are definitely more fun. The WHK also gets some minor PPC quirks that make them slightly less useless, and every now and then I have crazy clutch games with it where every shot seems to hit CT and really makes the PPCs shine. Be aware that even with the Warhawk's outrageous number of heatsinks (my build has 28 DHS) you can only fire twice on most maps before you have to retreat to cool off because of the awful clan heatsink capacity. The upside is that you do cool fairly quickly, but the lack of burst damage really hurts a weapon like PPCs that relies on that.

aniviron posted:

I guess I should have mentioned it but I didn't because you specifically asked about the PPC/LPL thing, but the UACs builds are probably the best reason to run a Warhawk. If you're using both ballistic arms you get 10% cooldown, which isn't great on its own, and a -30% UAC jam chance which is, as far as I am concerned, the best quirk any clan mech gets. Someone ran the numbers on how much that actually increases your DPS, and while I can't Rain Man them for you, trust me when I say it is very very significant. It turns the 2 UAC10 build (I run mine with SRMs, good players run them with LPLs) and UAC20 builds into threats that have to be dealt with immediately. I mean, you're still fragile as gently caress in the Warhawk, but both UAC20 brawlers and UAC10 skirmisher Warhawks will reliably break 1000 damage if the enemy just chooses not to deal with you in a timely fashion, all because you can keep making GBS threads shells all over them. Granted, you're spraying the damage everywhere, especially if you pair it with SRMs like I do, but 1000 damage in a single mech is still very good even if you are getting it from bullet bukkake.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I was originally going to sell my Warhawk but honestly it's a rather cool mech you can do some neat stuff with and I kind of want to hold onto it in the hopes that the rescaling will fix it's biggest problem in being mistaken for a direwolf and summarily obliterated because of it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You only have to wait another month. The June resize and requirk pass will either finally make the WHK decent because it's not so huge and so breakble, or it will relegate it to mediocrity for the next few years because the change wasn't enough.

There is a pretty good chance that it will get quite a bit smaller since it's the same size as the DWF (which is also getting smaller; PGI is using volume instead of surface area because they have no idea what they are doing. The Awesome is getting bigger because it has a low volume thanks to its relative thinness...) but mechs that are getting smaller are also losing most/all of their quirks, according to Russ.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They're making the awesome, poster child for "huge unmissable barn" bigger? They have an actual retard in charge.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

They're making the awesome, poster child for "huge unmissable barn" bigger? They have an actual retard in charge.

We're talking about someone who dictates game balance based on the input from his literal toddler child.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Great Beer posted:

hahahah you are actually joking, surely

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
potential instadrops on Nyserta right now if anyone wants to CW/FP

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

sebmojo posted:

hahahah you are actually joking, surely

No, this is straight from Russ on twitter. They're using volume instead of surface area to rescale the mechs. This means that anything which is very short on one axis but big on the others (i.e. Awesome and Grasshopper, both of which are confirmed getting bigger) is going to be massive and anything that is cuboidal (Direwolf, confirmed getting smaller) is making out like a villain.

That's because PGI didn't take into account the fact that you shoot the surface of the mech, not the volume of it, and that having a small front but a wide side like the Stalker or Crab is just fine but having a big front but a small side is relatively little use.

I hope nobody was hoping the rescale was going to bring any kind of balance to the game or anything. It will be better than what we have now, but mechs like the Trebuchet and Awesome are still going to be garbage because they're thin from the side.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Those were some fun CW matches roflstomping Ghost Bears tonight.

Three Warhammer drop deck OP.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004
ghost bears are the worst faction to play for right now as a solo merc

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Skoll posted:

Those were some fun CW matches roflstomping Ghost Bears tonight.

Three Warhammer drop deck OP.

We learned a lot about Teemercs part fish, part man uncle. An informative night.

We also learned not to trust Commoners in his drat Archer.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

We also learned that Ms. Rhyos' family is the Redneckest and that longhammer owns.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Great Beer posted:

I know they're knockoffs and stolen from the mwo models but goddamn I'm tempted to get one of those king crabs.

It's not a knockoff if no one is producing it. You can't get that anywhere else. It's a unique item. Hell I would love a huge fully articulated action figure of the MWO King Crab and I wouldn't have any issues paying some 3rd party Hong Kong action figure group for it because... The IP owners aren't making one.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FARTSTAR posted:

ghost bears are the worst faction to play for right now as a solo merc

Thats fun, i had 5 wins with bears, then 35 losses in a row with Jade Falcons.
I thought "hey, they the largest clan faction, maybe they know what theyre doing".
Guess all of those simultaneously switched factions or something.

E: no wait, that wasnt bears. It was the jaguars, the mascot just looks like a bear.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 15, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

It's not a knockoff if no one is producing it. You can't get that anywhere else. It's a unique item. Hell I would love a huge fully articulated action figure of the MWO King Crab and I wouldn't have any issues paying some 3rd party Hong Kong action figure group for it because... The IP owners aren't making one.

I don't think it's in production anymore, but Ral Partha used to make a King Crab tabletop mini. I owned one back in the day. You can still find them on Ebay as new old stock for pretty reasonable prices:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battletech-metal-Crab-Mech-/141970594767?hash=item210e1b5bcf:g:WnwAAOSw3mpXHUM1

edit: that said I'm really tempted to buy some knockoff not-battletech minis to round out my old collection. Goddamn I'm going t spend a couple hundred bucks on minis for a game I don't even play any more, aren't I?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

We can't. It's a licensing issue. If we could, we would have started selling figures a long time ago.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Why does Topps hate money?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Great Beer posted:

Why does Topps hate money?

The toy market is a volatile horrific hellscape. Creating battered fearful companies that won't even look twice at something that is merely modestly profitable.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

3d printing allowing for limited runs at low cost and a captive audience with no competition is about as safe as it gets. They don't even need to create 3d models and risk the fan base disliking the style.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

The Repo Man posted:

We also learned not to trust Commoners in his drat Archer.

No man can handle the responsibility of the 116.1 alpha strike.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Id really like to see the faction-statistics after this event.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I just watched that Razerfist video.

We talk in here about how :pgi: nailed to movement/weight feel of giant robots, but dude is right on about pinpoint reticules and concessions to modern shooters.

I'm still mad about having to drive stick leftie.

Thanks Tmerc.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

DiHK posted:

I just watched that Razerfist video.
Mind posting a link? I want to know what this thing is.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5O-Hx0wVMQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/1194/comments/41631

Sometimes the HBS forums just deliver the most bizarre poo poo.

• Locked thread