Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

GulagDolls posted:

i thought the optional man was a chump compared to final boss

Different strokes for different folks. Here's my rundown on deaths by boss on my first playthrough. 1 to Iudex, 1 to Vordt, 1 to Deacons, 1 to the Champ, 2 to Lorian/Lothric, 4 to Nameless King. If we count deaths to Aldrich when helping Anri as a phantom, 2 more deaths. I'm sure I managed to first try a boss someone else found stupid hard but I'm also sure someone else breezed through the guys who gave me problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

I killed him my first try, while soul of cinder took me about two hours.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
What's the trigger for getting Leonhard to show up and give you the lift key? My first time through I was playing a lovely build for PvP and didn't bother with it, this time I'm OP as gently caress and want to try some low-level PvP, but he won't show. Wiki just says 'get Pale Tongue + kill Greatwood', but I did that ages ago (already ran through Smouldering Lake for items) and no dice.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Harkmoon's legacy was cut short by falling off a pit in the consumed garden because getting in an elevator is too hard for the AI

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I just beat the game. Did the Usurpation ending. Couple of questions:

1. mechanics, is it possible to parry the cinder lord? It feels like it should but I was never able to get anything other than partial parries on him (half damage and all stamina gone). This was with a target shield. I eventually gave up and dodged around his attacks rather than failing parrying.

2. Lore/Story. What the hell is the usurpation ending about? There is obviously a Kaathe connection with yuria's armor mentioning Primordial Serpents - but I don't see a. what we actually did and b. what effect that this creates?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

Nameless King seems a pretty divisive boss. He's incredibly easy if you have a certain shield, and otherwise just aggravating because you have to learn the dragon move set and then his actual move set

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Melanion posted:

I've seen the winged knight trio espoused here and elsewhere as the primo farming spot, but I am nowhere near good enough to kill all three quickly and reliably without paying attention. To me, 'farming' is when you turn your brain off and pay attention to something else while giving the tedious task a minimum of effort. Lothric Castle bonfire is so, so good for that. Put on all your item find/soul boost gear, kill the first knight, rest at the fire and repeat. 4k+ souls with a guaranteed upgrade item (large shard or more rarely chunk), frequent pieces of the lothric knight armour/weapons and occasional embers and sun medals. Takes me 7-15 seconds between rests, can get >100k souls in less than 20 minutes and I can Netflix while I do it.

e: I should point out that I'm at 50 faith with a lightning dark sword, your time may vary with how close you are to your damage stat of choice's softcap.

On ng+ my friend was getting 110k per run with shield of want and covetous silver ring. It's insane. They don't fight back when you use rapport.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

double nine posted:

1. mechanics, is it possible to parry the cinder lord? It feels like it should but I was never able to get anything other than partial parries on him (half damage and all stamina gone). This was with a target shield. I eventually gave up and dodged around his attacks rather than failing parrying.

You can't. There's really no reason for it either, it's stupid.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

anglachel posted:

Nameless King seems a pretty divisive boss. He's incredibly easy if you have a certain shield, and otherwise just aggravating because you have to learn the dragon move set and then his actual move set

he took me four tries and I was two handing a curved greatsword the whole time. the dragon is kind of a non-issue after you know its moves. he hits hard af on foot but his swings are kinda majorly telegraphed and you only need to dodge the first two, smack him, and get out. you have a significant amount of breathing room compared to the final boss. at least that was my experience.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Melanion posted:

I've seen the winged knight trio espoused here and elsewhere as the primo farming spot, but I am nowhere near good enough to kill all three quickly and reliably without paying attention. To me, 'farming' is when you turn your brain off and pay attention to something else while giving the tedious task a minimum of effort. Lothric Castle bonfire is so, so good for that. Put on all your item find/soul boost gear, kill the first knight, rest at the fire and repeat. 4k+ souls with a guaranteed upgrade item (large shard or more rarely chunk), frequent pieces of the lothric knight armour/weapons and occasional embers and sun medals. Takes me 7-15 seconds between rests, can get >100k souls in less than 20 minutes and I can Netflix while I do it.

e: I should point out that I'm at 50 faith with a lightning dark sword, your time may vary with how close you are to your damage stat of choice's softcap.

pull them individually with a bow and backstab the gently caress out of them

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Waverhouse posted:

This is the one bit that throws a wrench in the works of my idea, and which is honestly very confusing to me. In DS 1 in order to link the fire you have to defeat Gwyn and take his soul in order to link the fire. He acts as the First Flame's body guard in a way, the implication being that whoever links the flame is destined to be it's bodyguard until the next person comes along. Defeating the Soul of Cinder seems to back this idea, as it's moves are moves taken from all sorts of PC moves, plus the description of the Soul of Lords reads: "Since Gwyn, the first Lord of Cinder, many exalted lords have linked the First Flame, and it is their very souls that have manifested as defender of the flame." If this is true then the Lords of Cinder you kill in the game can't have linked the flame, or they would have been tied to the Kiln of the First Flame to defend it. The only people to have truly linked the flame are player characters, and seems further backed in the previous games when the player character inevitably takes their seat near the Kiln, staring at the first flame.

It would seem that the title Lord of Cinder is prospective; as in, these guys are strong enough to be Lords of Cinder but haven't done that, and in fact the Prince is said to have refused to link the fire outright in his item descriptions, but gets the title anyway. Since they didn't want to sacrifice their souls willingly, now you come along to do it by force. So it sort of seems like Ludleth might be lying to you; at the very least what he says is at odds with the description of a pretty important Soul item.

Well if you want to speculate using "this character lied" they you can make up whatever head canon you want.

After 3 different build playthroughs, I feel like going back to DS2 scholar and playing a big fuckoff sword man who eventually gets so drat strong he gets two giant fuckoff swords.

Cause you can actually do that realistically in that game.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Obligatum VII posted:

You can use Rapport on the Winged Knights. No thinking needed.

mastershakeman posted:

On ng+ my friend was getting 110k per run with shield of want and covetous silver ring. It's insane. They don't fight back when you use rapport.

Ah, my current guy doesn't have the int for Rapport. I only ever tried it on my sorceror on the silver knights outside Aldrich, and either they are immune or the cast time/range of the thing seemed too restrictive to rely on it. Good to know for future alts, though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
My 47 failed attempts to fight the dancer:

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

he took me four tries and I was two handing a curved greatsword the whole time. the dragon is kind of a non-issue after you know its moves. he hits hard af on foot but his swings are kinda majorly telegraphed and you only need to dodge the first two, smack him, and get out. you have a significant amount of breathing room compared to the final boss. at least that was my experience.

its almost insane how he could be considered a hard boss by anyone. He doesn't have any moves that come out quickly (like oceiros has that one charge move) he doesn't have any moves that punish you for spam dodging when you get hit (like pontiff does with that one combo with his dual swords), almost every attack he does leaves him wide open for a hit even when you're two handing a slow weapon, he isn't aggressive so you'll always have plenty of time to heal up, he doesn't add extra attacks onto combos sometimes so you get punished for thinking it's safe to attack (like gundyr does).

The fight shoul have been the 2nd phase 1st and then the 2nd lifebar should have been an improved version with all of the above, it's an optional area FROM, go wild for gently caress sake.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Harkmoon's legacy was cut short by falling off a pit in the consumed garden because getting in an elevator is too hard for the AI

That's only just barely vaguely his name.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ocerios has never once gave me trouble. I guess he's my personal easy boss. But I don't know if I've even had to chug estus on him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nameless King is only a hard because the game basically cheats by throwing two bosses at you with full health bars that play completely differently. Its a pretty big dick move.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I like to sunbro on bosses that have an introductory cutscene, because when I see it I become ultra determined to make their first glimpse of that boss a victory.

Though I do judge people slightly when they summon three phantoms before even seeing a boss.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

SA Asserts NK is a Chump. News at 11.

I beat him on my 2nd try and then flung my corpse at the princes for almost an hour.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Liu posted:

its almost insane how he could be considered a hard boss by anyone. He doesn't have any moves that come out quickly (like oceiros has that one charge move) he doesn't have any moves that punish you for spam dodging when you get hit (like pontiff does with that one combo with his dual swords), almost every attack he does leaves him wide open for a hit even when you're two handing a slow weapon, he isn't aggressive so you'll always have plenty of time to heal up, he doesn't add extra attacks onto combos sometimes so you get punished for thinking it's safe to attack (like gundyr does).

The fight shoul have been the 2nd phase 1st and then the 2nd lifebar should have been an improved version with all of the above, it's an optional area FROM, go wild for gently caress sake.

If you have trouble with Oceiros you're legit terrible at the game. I'm sorry.

These "how could people have trouble with X" posts are pretty bad, aren't they.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I'm always fascinated by how differently people appraise the bosses in these games. I think a lot of it has to do with what build you're rolling with at the time. In my own experience, on my first runthrough, I rolled over the Pontiff, the Dancer, Oceiros, and the Soul of Cinder without any trouble but the Nameless King, Crystal Sage, Aldrich, and the Curse Rotted Greatwood were huge stumbling blocks for me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Crystal Sage is honestly the only one that makes me wanna do the "How does anyone die to it" thing, because man, I really did just walk at them and R1 and that was enough to win first try.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Happy Hedonist posted:

SA Asserts NK is a Chump. News at 11.

I beat him on my 2nd try and then flung my corpse at the princes for almost an hour.

I had trouble with the Princes because I couldnt unfuck my brain long enough to dodge the beam attack. Id know it was coming and still managed to get hit by it every drat time

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I pointed out one decent move he has. He's actually my 3rd favourite boss to phantom for.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Melanion posted:

I like to sunbro on bosses that have an introductory cutscene, because when I see it I become ultra determined to make their first glimpse of that boss a victory.

Though I do judge people slightly when they summon three phantoms before even seeing a boss.

Eh, I wouldn't. We're getting into the part of the game's lifespan where people who have owned the game since day one are probably on their third or fourth playthrough. I just finished my second and summoned for literally every boss because it's fun and I already know I can do it solo. Even if it's their first attempt, Souls co-op is fun and it's not hard for me to imagine why someone would want to play the whole game that way.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Deified Data posted:

Eh, I wouldn't. We're getting into the part of the game's lifespan where people who have owned the game since day one are probably on their third or fourth playthrough. I just finished my second and summoned for literally every boss because it's fun and I already know I can do it solo. Even if it's their first attempt, Souls co-op is fun and it's not hard for me to imagine why someone would want to play the whole game that way.

I'm embered, but I don't see summon signs *ever.*

What is going on?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Deified Data posted:

A day ago I would of agreed but I fought him at a low level and he's a loving nightmare. His phase two charge is basically impossible to avoid. He can't combo it with anything so if you can just tank the hit and then beat him up you won't have trouble, but he's one of the hardest bosses if your damage output is low or your vigor is actually so small the charge oneshots you.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm embered, but I don't see summon signs *ever.*

What is going on?

You might be overleveled, or the online is being wonky.

Internet Kraken posted:

A day ago I would of agreed but I fought him at a low level and he's a loving nightmare. His phase two charge is basically impossible to avoid. He can't combo it with anything so if you can just tank the hit and then beat him up you won't have trouble, but he's one of the hardest bosses if your damage output is low or your vigor is actually so small the charge oneshots you.

I was actually being sarcastic - I don't find him terribly difficult but he's not a cakewalk either. I just think "how could people have trouble with X boss" talk is dumb, unless we're talking Deacons, Yhorm, or Crystal Sage.

My strategy for him is to just stick to him like glue and dash to him if he tries to create any distance. Though I rarely get through bosses without being hit so I imagine there's a lot less room for error at low level.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The bosses pretty much are easy if you got a +10 Longsword. That thing is a death machine

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Dazzling Addar posted:

I'm always fascinated by how differently people appraise the bosses in these games. I think a lot of it has to do with what build you're rolling with at the time. In my own experience, on my first runthrough, I rolled over the Pontiff, the Dancer, Oceiros, and the Soul of Cinder without any trouble but the Nameless King, Crystal Sage, Aldrich, and the Curse Rotted Greatwood were huge stumbling blocks for me.

I really struggle on slow-ish bosses with damaging strikes and delayed attacks. There really weren't any of those this time around (hell, most of the bosses swung like they were hopped on PCP) so I found DS2 waaay harder since it had dudes like Smelter Demon, Vestaldt, the Fume Knight, etc.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I still haven't beaten the last boss dude, but there seems to be a discussion about bosses going on and I'm taking this as an opportunity to complain.

I've played Demons, Dark 1, Dark 2, and Dark 2 SOTFS - I enjoyed them all. I don't like Dark 3 in any capacity.

The bosses, and combat in general, feels off when compared to the previous Souls games; especially the bosses. For the sake of easily making my point... lets say in the previous games each boss had five attacks, they could be a bitch to avoid or OHK, whatever. But I could put my mind to it and enjoy learning each boss fight and eventually master it. I don't feel like I can master any of these fights because each boss seems to have five attacks with a variation or two of each attack and then have the ability to string them together. I never figured out when it was safe to attack or not and mostly attacked while hoping for the best. I've used giant swords in every game and really enjoyed learning how to use them, especially against fast bosses, but in 3 I feel at a disadvantage because I may get off an attack while the boss is resting after pulling off all his bullshit or maybe he's not done and I'll land an attack for a few hundred damage and then get half of my hp knocked off because he wasn't actually done attacking. Maybe I'm a big baby who's bad at this game, I'm not ruling this out, but that doesn't change the way I feel about the game.

I've been disappointed by several games, but never expected to feel let down by a Souls game. :(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Princes are literal chumps. After a first try to figure out there gimmick, and how to do the fight. You should walk through it.

Git guuuuud.

I'm really bad at nameless king. Took hours fighting second form, I can flawless the chicken no problem now.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't feel like I can master any of these fights because each boss seems to have five attacks with a variation or two of each attack and then have the ability to string them together. I never figured out when it was safe to attack or not and mostly attacked while hoping for the best. I've used giant swords in every game and really enjoyed learning how to use them, especially against fast bosses, but in 3 I feel at a disadvantage because I may get off an attack while the boss is resting after pulling off all his bullshit or maybe he's not done and I'll land an attack for a few hundred damage and then get half of my hp knocked off because he wasn't actually done attacking. Maybe I'm a big baby who's bad at this game, I'm not ruling this out, but that doesn't change the way I feel about the game.

Yeah the ultraweapons aren't really your friends against bosses this around, at least not on a fresh first go. My two deaths to the princes happened because I came in swinging with a UGS. Lorian just teleported around my attacks and chumped me in the back at the end of my recoveries - I came in playing Dark Souls but he was playing DBZ :arghfist::saddowns:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I also had trouble with princes using a greatsword. "oh I guess you're still spazzing out." "thank you for teleporting into the air above me as i was committing to my eight hour long r1 attack animation" it seems like it would have been a lot easier with a faster weapon.

Bombadilillo posted:

Princes are literal chumps. After a first try to figure out there gimmick, and how to do the fight. You should walk through it.

Git guuuuud.

I'm really bad at nameless king. Took hours fighting second form, I can flawless the chicken no problem now.

wow bad post dude

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Apparently Daggers have the amazing ability to prevent you from lowering your shield or rolling until your guard is broken or they stop attacking :confused:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Bosses in DS3 can be rng nonsense either spamming attacks till you are dead or just not, without any pattern. Not surprised to read radically different opinions for boss difficulty.

First attempt for Nameless King had only 1 hit left and I died, took another 20 attempts. It was infuriating not because of how hard it was but it felt like no matter how perfectly I learned the patters and timing it didn't matter if the boss just randomly decided to kill me by endlessly swinging till I ran out of stamina.

Feels less like overcoming a challenge and more like the boss just decided to let me win that time?

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Yardbomb posted:

Crystal Sage is honestly the only one that makes me wanna do the "How does anyone die to it" thing, because man, I really did just walk at them and R1 and that was enough to win first try.

I died once because I was so surprised by all the clones in the second phase. Of course once you realize that you can easily identify the real Sage by looking for the purple one and the fact the clones die in one hit it's not so bad, it just caught me off guard the first time.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
The Dark Souls boardgame looks really cool, but 80 pounds is $150 CAN and that's just too much (not even including shipping)... especially since I doubt I'd even get to actually play it all that much.

I mean with people. I could play it by myself all the time but I also literally can't think of anything sadder.

In actual game question- a bleed build sounds really cool, but I'm not really sure what the idea is? Is it better to go dex with bleed infusion, or luck build with hollow infusion and carthous rouge? I think it's the second one, but I dunno?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/demonliar/v/65376899

the battle against crystal stage starts around two hours in.

highlight is around the four hour 24 minutes mark when he gives up and summons his friend. watch that fight if you watch anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr E posted:

"arguably" lol

Soul of Cinder took me more tries, I just couldn't get used to the curved sword form for some reason, and that plus Gwyn Mode killed me a lot.