Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Pretty psyched for that so I can play HoI4 on my lovely little computer while I get my new rig built this summer.

Paradox games are far and away more CPU intensive then GPU, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, and even on my fairly good computer EUIV is not quite smooth even at the beginning of a new game, let alone after a few centuries.

I don't know much about processors, are they still improving at a reasonable pace or have they hit a hard limit? I dream of eventually being able to play this type of game completely smoothly

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, and even on my fairly good computer EUIV is not quite smooth even at the beginning of a new game, let alone after a few centuries.

I don't know much about processors, are they still improving at a reasonable pace or have they hit a hard limit? I dream of eventually being able to play this type of game completely smoothly

Every time people say that we are approaching the theoretical limit of increased CPU performance using the methods that have been getting used, someone comes up with a brand new method to further improve them. Intel just came out with an entire new architecture, although it is only an incremental improvement under Intel's cpu strategy of doing incremental improvement - major improvement - incremental - big.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

That's a little generous. Intel just recently announced that it was abandoning the "tick-tock" model for their releases, and their improvements over the last several years have already been pretty marginal. The theoretical minimum before quantum state tunneling makes further chip shrinking impossible or prohibitively expensive is at about 5nm, right now we're parked at 14nm.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Big sale at the Paradox store, but, um, is anyone else having trouble getting a payment through? I've tried multiple methods and my payment keeps getting denied.

I was able to buy something this morning, but now I can't get either Paypal or credit card to work. Opened a support ticket, we'll see what happens.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just realised I want to split my fleet into 3 :negative:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Airfoil posted:

I was able to buy something this morning, but now I can't get either Paypal or credit card to work. Opened a support ticket, we'll see what happens.

Good to know that at least it isn't a problem with my account alone, and that PayPal is also broken for others. I got a ticket open too, though I dunno what their support is like on weekends.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khisanth Magus posted:

Every time people say that we are approaching the theoretical limit of increased CPU performance using the methods that have been getting used, someone comes up with a brand new method to further improve them. Intel just came out with an entire new architecture, although it is only an incremental improvement under Intel's cpu strategy of doing incremental improvement - major improvement - incremental - big.

It's impossible to make CPUs any denser without causing electron tunneling. The last 10 years of improvement has been about spreading the load around as much as possible and multi-core processing and also GPU offloading for generic number crunching

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Good to know that at least it isn't a problem with my account alone, and that PayPal is also broken for others. I got a ticket open too, though I dunno what their support is like on weekends.

I got a reply. They've apparently got some sort of fraud protection in place that locks out purchases from your account for 24 hours if you fail a payment once. No idea what caused the failure in the first place, though. Kinda silly they don't pop up a message on the order page to let you know what's going on.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Larry Parrish posted:

So Tropico except instead of communist rebels you have ethnic groups hatcheting eachother to death in the streets

Basically.

Tropico except the only difficulty mode is hard and everything is depressing.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Sheep posted:

The real travesty is that we never got EU2 on DS.

Who thought this was a good idea?

https://web.archive.org/web/20050930235316/http://www.gamersmark.com/articles/170/

quote:

GM: There have been a number of user created mods released for Europa Universalis II over the past couple of years that fans have taken a liking to, will we see any of these features implemented into this handheld version of the game, or perhaps new features inspired by some of these mods?

GR: User mods will be supported in the PDA versions of the game, and we are investigating various avenues of support for these on the Nintendo DS platform.

GM: One thing DS enthusiasts have been wondering about is if whether or not Europa Universalis II will utilize Nintendo’s coming Wi-Fi online multiplayer game service. If it isn’t, why was it decided not to include the feature? Can we expect some form of wireless multiplayer?

GR: We intend to provide wireless support on the Nintendo DS version, permitting the DS to attach to a desktop PC acting as the game host. This support will also be available on the PDA versions, with all platforms interacting seamlessly.

GM: Thanks to the stylus and touch-screen, it seems as if the Nintendo DS is the perfect handheld game machine for PC strategy games like Europa Universalis II to be ported to. As one of the first strategy games to appear on the platform, it seems as if the genre has a bright future on Nintendo’s dual-screened handheld. Do you think it’s possible to see even more of Paradox Interactive’s strategy games come to the DS? Diplomacy or perhaps even Hearts of Iron?

GR: I agree - the DS is a superb handheld console for both turn-based and real-time strategy gaming!

I believe that most of Paradox’s titles translate quite well to mobile devices such as the Pocket PC and Nintendo DS. Europa Universalis, Two Thrones, Crown of the North, Victoria, Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron are all based off the same basic engine design so it wouldn’t be a difficult decision to proceed with these other titles if Europa Universalis II does well on the DS.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060321044235/http://www.ppcstudios.com/eu2prod.shtml

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 15, 2016

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wasn't there a game like that? It was an old DOS game like Shadow President. You played as the leader of a country following a revolution. You had to play both sides of the Cold War as well as maintain some level of internal unity. Most games ended in either your assassination or US invasion.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

FreudianSlippers posted:

Basically.

Tropico except the only difficulty mode is hard and everything is depressing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/427470/

Something like this?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mantis42 posted:

Wasn't there a game like that? It was an old DOS game like Shadow President. You played as the leader of a country following a revolution. You had to play both sides of the Cold War as well as maintain some level of internal unity. Most games ended in either your assassination or US invasion.

Yeah that was Hidden Agenda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Agenda_(video_game)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

After the stellaris launch-problems, I don't know whether I should be glad that hoi4 got that delay

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Stairmaster posted:

After the stellaris launch-problems, I don't know whether I should be glad that hoi4 got that delay

It's obvious the delay was a good thing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Haven't played Africa, but the only depressing thing about Democracy 3 is how easy it is.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

GrossMurpel posted:

Haven't played Africa, but the only depressing thing about Democracy 3 is how easy it is.

Roaming death squads of feminists make the game a lot harder.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gort posted:

It's obvious the delay was a good thing.

Yeah, it seems a lot more fleshed out than Stellaris even if the AI still seems a bit off.

I don't get why they released Stellaris in such a half-baked state when HOI4 was coming out a month later

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I honestly don't think Stellaris is half-baked. Rough, sure, but I wouldn't go that far.

Not to excuse the behavior or anything, but this is just how Paradox launches are. If you're expecting any different for HOI4, get ready to run for the hills and scream "it is an incomplete game" when HOI4 releases, and no amount of delays can change that.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Not to do this one thing but I'll do it anyway. There's no need to handwave stellaris's problems by saying all paradox releases are like this, but at the very least ck2 and eu4 at release weren't this bad and yes I remember about them so anyone out there that want to invoke the do you remember xx at release, don't do it.

This is just the dlc model they decide by now releasing it feature incomplete and fixing it later. I think the ign review was a bit too generous.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
e:^ I wouldn't go that far at all. And the DLC model is to patch half the new content in for free years after the game launched, I don't understand why people ceaselessly bitch about it when it's one of/ the best there is for any game company out there. EU4/CK2 (and HOI4) will all have had the benefits of being part of a franchise and getting to build on what was already there- Stellaris is the first game in a series. That's why I think it feels lighter than usual.

It's not the bugs, it's the lack of content I think. There's no drive to actually engage on the galactic stage in the midgame other than for the sake of killing people. In other Paradox games you have things like missions or trade or even the goal of building up to your de jure empire or something. In Stellaris every goal is self imposed.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 15, 2016

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

it's because the more hyped goons get about something the worse it is. the stellaris thread was 95% empty hype posting so it retroactively made the game worse once it was out, goons ruin everything as ususal

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Let us all remember vanilla Civilization 5.

Stellaris is a better game than vanilla Civilization 5. Stellaris is far and away a better game than Civ: Beyond Earth.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Honestly I feel like Stellaris is significantly worse off than EUIV at launch, closer to CK2 but feels a lot more buggy. Tons of broken events, comatose AI, a complete lack of trade or any significant diplomacy... I still think there is fun to be had with it, and I think the base for DLC is strong, but drat is it barebones and drat I am not thrilled about having to shell out a bunch of cash for what will probably be stuff that should have been in the base game.

I'm honestly perplexed by it though. PDS is not short on cash, at least from all the news we are privy to, and they have HoI IV coming out next month, a game that appears significantly more finished (time will tell). I don't understand why Stellaris didn't just get a few more months in the oven, at the very least to avoid cannibalizing sales. It doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in HoI, at least.

e: ^^ I'll give Stellaris credit in that it may one day be a good, finished game and for not being fundamentally broken in its core systems, something which can definitely not be said of CiV, even after two expansions.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
My only problem with Paradox's current DLC system is that it costs a lot, and they release a LOT of DLC.

I'm happy its there, because it means that they are supporting their game(s), and I generally enjoy the features the DLCs bring, but 16 or 21 dollars CAD per DLC amounts to a fair bit of coin by the end of the life cycle.

50$ for the EU IV
120$ for all the major expansion DLCs (6)

not counting all the unit packs and song packs

Crusader kings is the same, except it has 10 major expansions (~160-200$)

I like Paradox games, but I am almost certainly never up to date. :shobon:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Airfoil posted:

I got a reply. They've apparently got some sort of fraud protection in place that locks out purchases from your account for 24 hours if you fail a payment once. No idea what caused the failure in the first place, though. Kinda silly they don't pop up a message on the order page to let you know what's going on.

Got that response too. They said I'd be locked out until the end of the sale, which I'm not sure if it's true. Either way, that's quite frustrating and might be worth a further complaint. I'm wondering if it's worth it to make another account and gift myself the steam keys, though lord knows that might look fishy to their fraud detection software.

Edit:

Humble Bundle is running more or less the same sale (Although the CKII DLC collection is $10 more. Oh well.)

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 15, 2016

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Honestly I feel like Stellaris is significantly worse off than EUIV at launch, closer to CK2 but feels a lot more buggy. Tons of broken events, comatose AI, a complete lack of trade or any significant diplomacy... I still think there is fun to be had with it, and I think the base for DLC is strong, but drat is it barebones and drat I am not thrilled about having to shell out a bunch of cash for what will probably be stuff that should have been in the base game.

I'm honestly perplexed by it though. PDS is not short on cash, at least from all the news we are privy to, and they have HoI IV coming out next month, a game that appears significantly more finished (time will tell). I don't understand why Stellaris didn't just get a few more months in the oven, at the very least to avoid cannibalizing sales. It doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in HoI, at least.

e: ^^ I'll give Stellaris credit in that it may one day be a good, finished game and for not being fundamentally broken in its core systems, something which can definitely not be said of CiV, even after two expansions.

I think this has a lot to do with how many games of a series they've made. EU IV has had three go-arounds, so they (mostly) don't make the same rookie mistakes again. CK 2 was a pretty big departure coming off only one game before it in the series. Stellaris is a whole new IP that's not in the paradox formula anyway, so it's janky as hell. I think HOI IV will probably be fine assuming they can get the AI working right.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The issue with Stellaris is that it's the first game of its genre Paradox worked on so there's much less to build off. Launch EU4 was much better but it was also basically EU3 + expansions with new trade and monarch points.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Stellaris would be fine if the AI had any meaningful impact on the game's world and I get pretty tired of the "just roleplay harder" handwave. Will play again when there's a DLC addressing the problem, and when it's 66% off.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
This game is OK but how come it's not as good as the game in my head I need to get angry somehow

I know, DLCs!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The real question is will HoI4 be better than HoI3.

Hoi3 good

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

It also wouldn't hurt to have more events. Right now you'll see the same 30 or so in the first 20 years of the game, every game, and then pretty few after that.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

This game is OK but how come it's not as good as the game in my head I need to get angry somehow

I know, DLCs!

You mean the game in my head where the AI does anything remotely interesting or worth my attention? I know other Paradox games have had trouble in the AI department but I think they've hit a new low.

Edit: I'm not angry but I am pretty disappointed. The early game felt so drat epic but as it dragged on a bit I started to realize the AI empires were just stationary targets awaiting conquer. Once they patch up the AI and add some DLC that makes diplomacy actually matter it will be really good.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 15, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Haha yeah this game has obtuse combat, random research and no ingame way of seeing the tech tree or its weights, bad planet management ai, bad combat ai and boring diplomacy. And we're only talking about the features currently in the game and not unplanned future features! But how can I make some white noise, oh I know let's mock those entitled gamers who have an agenda against the dlc models haha

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HoI4 will either be just fine or a disaster at launch - that's the nature of the beast. Where all other Paradox games at some point have that 'well now I'm just turning up the speed because there's literally nothing for me to do' content problem at some stage, HoI gets around that largely by nature of being about a very tight story of a single war. The pre-war period can drag a little but then the game isn't about that - once the war kicks off then the pace of events is controlled entirely by the player until total victory for one side.

So either the game will work or it won't, but either way you won't be sitting mid Barbarossa thinking 'I wish the game had more content'.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Stellaris isn't unpolished, it just looks like it went for a design balance that left some areas of the game barebones. All the systems needed for the game to have meaningful interactions are there, but it doesn't quite know what to do with them yet. Though I didn't play it, I imagine this is a lot like release EU3; a sandbox with a bunch of tools, but an unclear sense of direction as to how to use those to develop. And you know what, it's fair that Paradox doesn't really know exactly how to push that sandbox since they were busy making it exist in the first place, and it's also fair that people expect something more than just the sandbox. Thing is, so long as they don't go overboard with locking features behind DLC I think the base game itself is going to develop into something much meaningful over time. Because now they have the sandbox, and they have feedback on it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tangent: I have no clue how Arumba is as popular as he is. His voice is just so whiny even when he's not whining about anything (though that's rare tbh) and talking normally.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Don't want to interrupt the endless moaning about a newly-released Paradox title that has (surprisingly) come out with bugs and not enough content to steal literally hundreds of hours a week from you, but I'm coming up against some bullshit in EU4 and I'm wondering what the gently caress is up with the combat mechanics. I keep doing stuff like fighting defensive battles against numerically inferior, technologically identical enemies in terrain that favours me across a loving strait with full morale and a general while he had none and still losing. Also lol at how battles drag on so long that the enemy can march his other doomstack 200 miles across europe to reinforce and crush you just before you win a fight. Is there some sort of gamey bullshit tactic I should be using to cheese the combat or should I just never be engaging an enemy anywhere near numerically equal to me? It'd be nice if my AI allies would do their loving job and back me up once in awhile too, instead of just parking on top of my armies so I can die of attrition then running off at the first sign of trouble.

Am I missing something, or is EU4 combat just RNG bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TomViolence posted:

Don't want to interrupt the endless moaning about a newly-released Paradox title that has (surprisingly) come out with bugs and not enough content to steal literally hundreds of hours a week from you, but I'm coming up against some bullshit in EU4 and I'm wondering what the gently caress is up with the combat mechanics. I keep doing stuff like fighting defensive battles against numerically inferior, technologically identical enemies in terrain that favours me across a loving strait with full morale and a general while he had none and still losing. Also lol at how battles drag on so long that the enemy can march his other doomstack 200 miles across europe to reinforce and crush you just before you win a fight. Is there some sort of gamey bullshit tactic I should be using to cheese the combat or should I just never be engaging an enemy anywhere near numerically equal to me? It'd be nice if my AI allies would do their loving job and back me up once in awhile too, instead of just parking on top of my armies so I can die of attrition then running off at the first sign of trouble.

Am I missing something, or is EU4 combat just RNG bullshit?

it's rng bullshit. they rolled a 6 and you rolled a 1 on the first phase of combat, so your dug-in behind a river general is eating daily 1k losses vs. your enemy's daily loss of 75. oh good, here comes phase 2- but you've only got 13k of your original 20k left and their morale has been beaten to poo poo and the enemy still has 19k and just rolled another 6 to your 2. :paradox: