Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Toady posted:

I think it's the hybridization of combat between Bloodborne and Dark Souls. Enemies are fast and aggressive like in Bloodborne, but you don't move as responsively, so it's an uncomfortable middle ground. I felt like blocking with a shield depleted my stamina very quickly, so I had to dodge-roll through everything, especially the crazy combos the humanoid bosses have. In my opinion, the combat isn't patient and methodical like it used to be. I went back and played Demon's Souls, and I forgot how fun it was to strafe around the blue-eyed knights with a shield up, waiting for an opening. On the other hand, I haven't tried a variety of builds yet in DS3, so maybe it's an issue of building the right character.

I felt the same way my whole way through.

Going back and replaying Bloodborne, I definitely feel like some enemy types--like those aggressive crucified guys in the Crucifixion Woods--would be more at home in Bloodborne. And the player's mobility just isn't quite there, so, like you say, it's an uncomfortable middle ground. One thing that's actually kinda cool is that some enemies are designed to screw with you if you've played the previous games, like the Lothric Knights, who heavily punish you for trying to circle around to their shield arm. But for every enemy that's harder in a clever way there's one that's harder in a "you seem to think I'm a Hunter" way and I don't like those.

What helped me was to leave medium shields behind. You either go no shield (or keep a small one for parrying) and just never even try to block, or get a greatshield and actually have enough stability to block more than two attacks. Medium shields just don't have a ton to recommend them this time. You either gotta accept that you can't block, or get a super-dedicated blocking tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I went from being very creeped out by the Corvians to very sad for them. Poor folks are just sitting around telling tales when some fuckoff has to come stomping through. There are a number of groups who won't even attack you if you kill off the storyteller fast enough, but just sit there cringing pathetically.

Anyway, lore talk.

On Ludleth: This feels like something to be taken at face value. He's the last one to link the fire, and the one currently propping things up so that someone, that being you, can come along and either link it again or not, effectively picking up the next shift on the job. He's a pathetic shriveled paraplegic husk as a result of his choice, but he seems pretty chill about that. As for his shady transposition hobby and his resulting exile, that just seems like the catalyst for his own journey to link the fire.

On Lothric: There's another pretty straightforward interpretation here. It's their world that we enter after obtaining all the other Cinders of a Lord. Lothric refused to link the fire and as a result, the Shrine under the castle is empty and the sun is a huge Darksign.

Basically we're experiencing 1. the results of the choice to link the fire, in Ludleth's case and 2. the results of the choice not to do so, in Lothric's case.

It's a simple explanation, which seems like that's why it works so well.

Harrow posted:

What helped me was to leave medium shields behind. You either go no shield (or keep a small one for parrying) and just never even try to block, or get a greatshield and actually have enough stability to block more than two attacks. Medium shields just don't have a ton to recommend them this time. You either gotta accept that you can't block, or get a super-dedicated blocking tool.

Medium shields can be good, but in specialized cases. Namely, versus elemental attacks. Nameless King? Grab a Lothric Knight Shield and put on the lightning stoneplate ring and he becomes significantly more manageable. Abyss Watchers? Black Knight Shield and their fiery backdrafts are a lot less of an issue. Dodging is fine as well, but using shields this way helps you keep a closer distance with enemies that otherwise can punish the hell out of you with elemental damage.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 15, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Harrow posted:

Super-big slow weapons are at a huge disadvantage this time in PvE. It's still definitely possible to use them, but as soon as I gave up and started using a Longsword, then the Gotthard Twinswords, and the Dragonslayer Swordspear, I started having a much easier time.

It sucks that the greatweapons that people love are so undertuned in PvE and it's almost certainly part of why you're having such a bad time. Sorry the game's not working for you. :smith:

Some of the big weapons aren't that slow, my personal experience is that PvE is easiest with a Greataxe class weapon. Speedwise it helps that their attacks are almost all vertical chops, which seem to be the fastest attacks for the big guys. They're viable in PvP too, just not ideal.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Waverhouse posted:

Ludleth saying he linked the flame in the past is directly at odds with the description of the Soul of Lords and the fight moves of Soul of Cinder. Either Ludleth is lying or 'manifested as a defender of the flame' secretly has a lot of wiggle room, considering the other lords wandered off to do whatever. Unless there is something I missed that talks about how the Lords of Cinder are able to extricate their souls from the Soul of Lords and their bodies from being guardians of the First Flame, then it seems to me that Ludleth is lying.

This on top of the other weird inconsistencies of Ludleth. When you kill the other Lords they drop the Cinders of a Lord and stay dead. Ludleth respawns and drops the Skull Ring. The thrones of the other lords are tailor made for them, whereas Ludleth's throne is much too large for him. In order to have linked the fire each of the Lords of Cinder must have been strong enough to kill the Soul of Cinder, and Ludleth hardly looks like he could take a broken sword hollow.

He also has knowledge of Dark Firelink, which seems pretty important considering Dark Firelink is some sort of real deal time shenanigans.

EDIT: Basically, if Ludleth is telling the truth, when what are we supposed to make of the Soul of Lords?

SECOND EDIT: And what are we to make of his title: the Exiled? We can guess that he was exiled from Courland but for what? When someone is exiled it is because they have committed some heinous crime or they are a danger to others, so which is it?

ludleth says something about how he willed himself to become a lord of cinder, and i always took that to mean literally. like, in his world, he didn't actually have to collect lord souls and fight demons and ring bells, he just found the kiln of the first flame and cast some crazy spell or empowered some ancient ritual and basically hacked reality so that he was always a lord of cinder even though he shouldn't have been. it makes sense to me that he did this in the untended graves in lothric, and that's why they're all hosed up and out of time and weird when you find them; it's literally a side effect of whatever ludleth did. so he isn't lying to the player, he's just not giving you 100% of the whole story, and by the time you come into the game world it's kind of a moot point anyway.

i can see a bigger picture where oceiros is king, he has his twin prince sons, figures out about the legend of the unkindled, and builds a secret laboratory on top of the cemetery of ash & firelink in his world (lothric) so that he and his sons can do whatever crazy scheme he cooks up without being interrupted. his sons prove unworthy to become lords of cinder, somehow oceiros becomes corrupted by seath's magical research and he loses sight of whatever his original schemes were to instead focus 100% of his time on making ocelotte into a baby dragon god. the twin princes also somehow get to talk to aldia and he convinces them not to link the fire, so they go down to dad's laboratory and wreck firelink up good, then they gently caress off back to their castle to be all emo and broody. later, ludleth finds the wrecked firelink and figures "well poo poo, this won't do" and pulls whatever ritual that he needs to pull to edit himself into being a lord of cinder for a world where the princes have already made it almost impossible to do so - this fucks up lothric's firelink and "creates" the untended graves out of the cemetery of ash and ruins the bell that would have rang to wake the unkindled. ludleth's first act as the new lord of cinder for lothric is to recreate firelink and the cemetery of ash as a pocket plane that is still connected to lothric (since it's the transitory land where all the lords are converging anyway) and that's where you wake up as the unkindled hero when you start the game. some time before (or while) ludleth is finished remaking the cemetery of ash and firelink into a pocket plane, champion gundyr also finds his way down to the untended graves and the wrecked firelink, but since the place is too hosed up to be of any use, he has no choice but to stick around and become the area boss for anybody who actually manages to make it all the way down to him.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 15, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mazed posted:

Medium shields can be good, but in specialized cases. Namely, versus elemental attacks. Nameless King? Grab a Lothric Knight Shield and put on the lightning stoneplate ring and he becomes significantly more manageable. Abyss Watchers? Black Knight Shield and their fiery backdrafts are a lot less of an issue. Dodging is fine as well, but using shields this way helps you keep a closer distance with enemies that otherwise can punish the hell out of you with elemental damage.

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess it's cool that each type of shield has a niche: small shields for parrying, medium shields for elemental blocking, and greatshields for when you just really need to turtle.

Filthy Hans posted:

Some of the big weapons aren't that slow, my personal experience is that PvE is easiest with a Greataxe class weapon. Speedwise it helps that their attacks are almost all vertical chops, which seem to be the fastest attacks for the big guys. They're viable in PvP too, just not ideal.

True. It's more speed than size, I suppose. The Dragonslayer Swordspear isn't exactly small but it's fast and versatile enough to be good--same with some greataxes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yhorms machete is incredibly fast for its weight and stakina usage.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Probably the most pissed off I ever got at this game was with the Corvians hanging out on the outside of the Grand Archives. Their flying attack is multi-hit and follows you while you're rolling and they gang up on you and they're faster than you. Compounded by the fact that I can't interrupt them and I couldn't find a range where I could hit them without being hit.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone says they cracked poise:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4jdwy6/dark_souls_3_poise_mechanics_im_pretty_damn_sure/

Long Story short more Poise means you can get hit a few more times while rolling without being staggered.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Turtlicious posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4jdwy6/dark_souls_3_poise_mechanics_im_pretty_damn_sure/

Long Story short more Poise means you can get hit a few more times while rolling without being staggered.

looks like someone is wrong

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
gently caress these silver knights and their giant bows

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Turtlicious posted:

If this is true (and from skimming through it it looks like the guy did a lot of testing trying to pin it down) then Poise is the worst it's ever been in the series. Of course, I didn't need a test to tell me that, the loving game beats me over the head with it whenever I get stunlocked.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

hmmm thats idiotic if true and also probably not true

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ok so let's make it so that poise means you can not have your roll interrupted if you really want to invest 30 levels into one stat so you can equip heavy armor without fatrolling oh and also lets put a ring in the game that gives you 33% more iframes at the cost of one ring slot lol

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

This fails to explain why poise is a percentage.

Seriously. It works exactly like Absorption, on a percentage scale of 0 to 100%.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Mr Confetti posted:

gently caress these silver knights and their giant bows

:laugh:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ah hell, why not.

Who wants to smack me around so I can test exactly when poise is checked?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Poise and Agility having an ugly ugly baby.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Irithll, while pretty, is extremely dumb and badly designed.

I really hate From Software, Bad Video Games developer.

I can see them now, huddled around a table in the Stupid, Poorly Developed Design Room.

"Hey, you know what would be neat? Pontiff Knights. You know how Lothric, Cathedral, and pretty much all other knights up until now have been manageable? Let's throw that on its ear by giving these guys:"

* An instant back dash that puts them out of even Lothric long spear R2 range, but lets them launch into an uninterruptable assault of:
* Unlimited Stamina
* Ranged homing attack
* 2 flurry attacks that cover 2/3s of the entire area they're in
* An aggro range so huge it makes Alonne Knights look like moles by comparison

"Oh yea, good idea. But make sure they patrol in pairs. Then, lets make the boss fog gate visible after a linear gauntlet of Pontiff Knights and fire witches, but no way to get up there. Let's make this like a good ol' 'where the gently caress do I go' NES game."

"Sounds good. Hey, getting back to those fire witches, you know what would make them really great?"

* How about mini boss levels of health?
* An aggro range so far it makes the Pontiff knights look like bats, which make the Alonne knights look like a brick by comparison
* A homing corruscating flame wave attack that tracks you, around corners, through walls, and in 3D space
* A flame pillar attack that can target you without even being in line of sight of the flame witch, and also has the same properties of the fire wave attack

*a half dozen game design interns fall to their knees in deference to Miyazaki*

I can't even imbue my goddamn astora greatsword with lightning yet until I get to Anor Londo, which I assume is pretty much end game. Why was it decided to with hold neat imbues and spells until a point in the game where they become obsolete?

Oh yea, Bad Video Games (BVG) Fromsoft.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Time to go to NG+. I think I'll skip the whole challenging tense gameplay thing this time around and just constantly co-op everything while also doing some mound making as I go along. Is there a checklist of things to do before going to ng+?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Time to go to NG+. I think I'll skip the whole challenging tense gameplay thing this time around and just constantly co-op everything while also doing some mound making as I go along. Is there a checklist of things to do before going to ng+?

Same as any other DS pre-NG+ checklist. Murder everyone, buy everything, farm whatever upgrade materials you may want and make sure to check any last nooks and crannies for items that are unique. I think there's like, four or five slabs in the game? Three from pickups, one from Seigward, another from trading with Picklerum?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Oh yea, Bad Video Games (BVG) Fromsoft.
Do you have a bow? Its pretty easy to drag the Knights individually, and the Fire Witches are incredibly easy to murder if they don't have support. And yeah the knights hit hard, but their attacks are pretty simple and they're certainly not unlimited. The only tricky one at first is the ice slash and once you know its coming its not too bad, and the flurry might come out quickly, but its also telegraphed that they're flurrying. Do you have the Carthus Bloodring? It helps a lot. I liked Irithyll, but it was pretty short and easily beaten by selectively pulling enemies, and just dodging that one patrol's route. So far I think the Cathedral of the Deep and the Undead Settlement have been my favorite areas (I'm up to Anor Londo), one for being really fun to explore and the other for having some fun architecture and varied enemies.

e: My biggest complaint about the Fire Witches is now long I had to farm them to get their drat hat to drop and how heavy their armor is. The armor + Painting Guardian legs look like they could go well together, but that's goddamn heavy.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 15, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Ah hell, why not.

I'm unable to help tonight but I'm really curious what you'll find.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Ocelotte getting wrecked sounds on a loop

please never stop posting like this ITT

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tallgeese posted:

Ah hell, why not.

I can help.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Turtlishus

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

lite_sleepr posted:

i am a big baby that needs a big breakfast

hah hah, you're gonna love the dungeon

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Can't add you; have to eat softbans to test this stuff, so I use a backup account. Add this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198265106469/

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Anyone done a bow-only run, yet? Thoughts/advice?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/description

So the Dark Soule Board Game is ending it's kickstarter soon.

And it's loving HUGE. Also super expensive. Being a UK product it's going to cost $113 before shipping in Murica money. It also has made an insane amount of pledges. 4 million and counting.

Now I'm a board game guy with a good collection so it's right up my alley. But I recommend going over and checking out the videos. It looks like a good fun game with based around a risk reward stamina management mechanic. It looks great to solo alone or with a few characters, you can also literally summon npcs!

You will probably not have a problem selling the game and kickstarter bonuses for a profit sealed box or not, if you are so inclined. There are a lot of summons and invaders that will cost a ton to pick up later.

Personally I'm in for the base game and the darkroot basin, which gets you the sif and Artorias bosses.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 15, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

BillmasterCozb posted:

hah hah, you're gonna love the dungeon

Beat the dungeon with relative ease, and the profane capital.

Try again :smaug:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

So the Dark Soule Board Game is ending it's kickstarter soon.

And it's loving HUGE. Also super expensive. Being a UK product it's going to cost $113 before shipping in Murica money. It also has made an insane amount of pledges. 4 million and counting.

Now I'm a board game guy with a good collection so it's right up my alley. But I recommend going over and checking out the videos. It looks like a good fun game with based around a risk reward stamina management mechanic. It looks great to solo alone or with a few characters, you can also literally summon npcs!

You will probably not have a problem selling the game and kickstarter bonuses for a profit sealed box or not, if you are so inclined. There are a lot of summons and invaders that will cost a ton to pick up later.

Personally I'm in for the base game and the darkroot basin, which gets you the sif and Artorias bosses.

poo poo, who's making it, games workshop?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

poo poo, who's making it, games workshop?

I really recommend watching the videos on the page. They sold me. Tactical movement is unique and the stamina management looks cool

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://fat.gfycat.com/LawfulDamagedCowrie.webm

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tallgeese posted:

Can't add you; have to eat softbans to test this stuff, so I use a backup account. Add this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198265106469/

Added Chat me through steam for passwords and whacking.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm amazed they managed to make it down the ladder in the first place. I usually just go halfway down the ladder and watch them fall to their death.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

What's happening here

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I wonder if you could pull that trick on other players if they're locked on.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I started an SL1 run. I got through Abyss watches, which took me a good 1.5-2 hours to beat on their own. Using a raw broadsword and a pyro flame with carthus flame arc. I highly doubt I will finish the run but who knows. At least I don't have to worry about needing a lot of souls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm glad I'm not one of those disillusioned people who thought DS3 was going to be a flawless masterpiece because they must be pretty salty right now. Even with my realistic expectations I didn't expect the online to be this bad though.

actionjackson posted:

I started an SL1 run. I got through Abyss watches, which took me a good 1.5-2 hours to beat on their own. Using a raw broadsword and a pyro flame with carthus flame arc. I highly doubt I will finish the run but who knows. At least I don't have to worry about needing a lot of souls.

A streamer on Twitch did this. It took him over 3 hours to beat Oceiros. Have fun.

VVV The latest patch made basically everyone on PC experience random stutters where the game freezes up for a second. If you're playing offline everything else seems to freeze so it just throws off your rythm. If you're playing online, other players will still move around while you're frozen so that works out great in PvP.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 15, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm glad I'm not one of those disillusioned people who thought DS3 was going to be a flawless masterpiece because they must be pretty salty right now. Even with my realistic expectations I didn't expect the online to be this bad though.

I knew there would be big problems considering they haven't exactly been consistent in fixing problems between games, I just didn't expect them to throw away so much good stuff they already accomplished (mostly from dark souls 2) and then do really weird poo poo like break(??) poise.

They did surprise me in a few ways at least. I enjoyed the bosses way more than expected, and while I predicted offensive miracles being loving garbage after dark souls 2, sorcery has been much more useable than I expected. Also before the game came out I read that the game would run at 30 FPS end of story, but that was clearly either misinformation or was changed because I've had an incredibly smooth 60 FPS. Haven't seen how badly the latest patch borked the performance yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Having given it time to settle, my final appraisal is that it's a mediocre game that failed to integrate the majority of the design lessons learned from previous iterations. There was a definite Bloodborne mentality in the combat that was not properly designed for the slow action queue and languidness of a Dark Souls games, and I frequently felt more frustrated than satisfied as I wrestled with the return of the outrageously lengthy action queue. It has some nice setpieces, and the soundtrack is (as always) excellent, but it otherwise was a bit of a wet fart. Maybe the DLC will add something worthwhile, but I'd rather replay base DS2 sans DLC than this game as it currently stands.