Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I really liked the latest episode of Ghost, though now that Alain is officially a good guy now I'd kind of like to see him get an upgrade of his own at some point. I forget, has a Third Rider ever gotten an alternate form before? The only one I can think of that comes close is Gills in Agito.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Do you count HELL HELL HELLFRUIT as an upgrade?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

I really liked the latest episode of Ghost, though now that Alain is officially a good guy now I'd kind of like to see him get an upgrade of his own at some point. I forget, has a Third Rider ever gotten an alternate form before? The only one I can think of that comes close is Gills in Agito.

Blade, no matter how you define who is the third Rider in that series, since Chalice and Garren both get upgrades (IMHO, third Rider is Garren, Chalice is more integral to the plot). Kabuto, because all non-Hopper Brothers Riders have a Masked and a Rider form. Decade, because they steal regular Kuuga's suits when Yuuske can remember he's a Rider plus the mess that is the Rising Ultimate Kuuga suit. And then Gaim, because Gaim was just overflowing with Rider forms. (Since it has both Baron and Zangetsu getting upgrades at the least).

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 11, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

Blade, no matter how you define who is the third Rider in that series, since Chalice and Garden both get upgrades (IMHO, third Rider is Garren, Chalice is more integral to the plot). Kabuto, because all non-Hopper Brothers Riders have a Masked and a Rider form. Decade, because they steal regular Kuuga's suits when Yuuske can remember he's a Rider plus the mess that is the Rising Ultimate Kuuga suit. And then Gaim, because Gaim was just overflowing with Rider forms. (Since it has both Baron and Zangetsu getting upgrades at the least).

Ah right, so there's more precedent than I thought. It would be nice if Necrom got another form to match Grateful and Deep Specter but it might be too late in the series now for them to do it (but then again, Ghost still has one more form that has yet to appear so you never know).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Larryb posted:

Ah right, so there's more precedent than I thought. It would be nice if Necrom got another form to match Grateful and Deep Specter but it might be too late in the series now for them to do it (but then again, Ghost still has one more form that has yet to appear so you never know).

Also, it seems like the Writers Forgot (tm) about Necrom's ability to possess and control Ganma. I was expecting him to pull that out and like absorb the Ganmeiser straight into an upgrade form, and was kinda disappointed when he didn't.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Alain can't do that right now because he has a human body

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
yeah all the stuff Alain could do with Ganma before seemed to come from the fact his Consciousness was inside a Ganma Superior Eyecon. Now that he's not in one he can't do that stuff and just is a normal person.

Like he may not even have super strength or whatever anymore like he kind of used to have going by him being able to punch fight Ghost early in the series without a suit.

From what it seems he could still use Ultima and Superior Eyecons if he had them (Since Javert uses one in a human body), but he doesn't have one so he doesn't use one.

as for a third form

it seems like once Ghost gets Mugen he stops using the other Eyecons; there's pictures of Necrom using some of the Ghost Eyecons and similarly Deep Specter using some of them

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Heroic Legend of Alain is ridiculous.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Some Numbers posted:

The Heroic Legend of Alain is ridiculous.

Alain is a perfect and Good Boy thus any spin-off focusing on him would be equally Perfect and Good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stallion Cabana posted:

Alain is a perfect and Good Boy thus any spin-off focusing on him would be equally Perfect and Good.

Maybe so, but it goes from super serious stuff to slapstick involving takoyaki and it's really jarring

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I feel like it was intentional since the whole thing had a really surreal quality to a lot of the interactions. If the movie was kind of attempting to show Alain's prospective on things it shows that up until recently he really just didn't think the same way we did; it's jarring and surreal because we're looking through the lens of what's essentially a ghost alien. When it starts to make more sense is also when he starts becoming more relatable as a person.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Most of this has mood shifts, Chase movie had that spit take at the same time as all that blood and boobs.

I got a kick out of the ultra serious music playing while javel and Alain were on swingsets.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Acne Rain posted:

Most of this has mood shifts, Chase movie had that spit take at the same time as all that blood and boobs.

I got a kick out of the ultra serious music playing while javel and Alain were on swingsets.

Javel and Alain on swingsets was amazing. I honestly can't tell if the people who produced this thing did it on purpose or not. It's like some kind of Poe's Law for surreal films.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
It was DEFINITELY intentional, to show how goddamn serious the Ganma take themselves (when they should not be taken seriously, just like basically every character on this show.)

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Yep, that Chase movie was filled with most of the fan service I could want.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So after taking a six or so month break I have finally caught up. Three things that stuck out to me that nobody in this thread bothered to mention.

Ninnin wasn't nearly as bad as everyone was saying. Not great or even really good but a much better show, and less red-centric, than ToQger at least.

That said, Takaharu's actor had some absolutely disgusting zits on his face that makeup just couldn't hide. Wanted to go at him with two nickels half the time....

You guys make furry jokes but as animals in human bodies these are clearly actually otherkin.

Also yeah, Zyuohger is great so far. I love that Leo is basically everything people don't like about recent red rangers' personalities but in the form of a male yellow he suddenly becomes downright likable.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I don't recall ToQger beating us over the head with how great Right was at everything though. Probably because none of the ToQgers were competing so they didn't have to talk about how great Red was and how they needed to surpass him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cliff Racer posted:

Ninnin wasn't nearly as bad as everyone was saying. Not great or even really good but a much better show, and less red-centric, than ToQger at least.

WHAT

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Got a little burned out on W, so I watched some of the original series to try and reinvigorate myself. There's a lot more emphasis on the "Rider" part of Kamen Rider in this version. Also I'm starting to realize that all the Riders I've seen have gotten their powers from evil people and used it for good. That's an awesome overarching premise.

It probably says a lot about me that I legitimately find Shocker terrifying. People staring at you and giggling menacingly is creepy as gently caress

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Yeah, TOQ was all about Red and the villains, the rest might as well not even have been there. The whole point to things like that people as food episode was that red is better when there's other rangers with him.

And the show hammered home how great Right was a ton when they brought in the main villain who couldn't shut up about how sparkly he was.

Yeah, the original Kamen Rider was portrayed by someone who actually rode a motorcycle in real life, at this point bikes are clearly just included as part of the tradition. Toei would probably do away with them if they could.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Regardless of which is more red-centric, in no way is ninnin better than trainger.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

Regardless of which is more red-centric, in no way is ninnin better than trainger.

Ninninger has better suits and mechs.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

As bad as Takaharu was, Ninninger would at least pretend to care about the others. ToQger ended with everyone sitting patiently while Right beat the main villain by himself.

ToQger was bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

The whole point to things like that people as food episode was that red is better when there's other rangers with him.

on the other hand the entire show features takaharu smashing face basically without help

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

nerdman42 posted:

Got a little burned out on W, so I watched some of the original series to try and reinvigorate myself. There's a lot more emphasis on the "Rider" part of Kamen Rider in this version. Also I'm starting to realize that all the Riders I've seen have gotten their powers from evil people and used it for good. That's an awesome overarching premise.

It probably says a lot about me that I legitimately find Shocker terrifying. People staring at you and giggling menacingly is creepy as gently caress

Pretty much the only main Riders who don't have a direct connection to their antagonist group are Super-1, Black RX, and J off the top of my head

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Both shows have bad suits and mechs but the trains edge out the dumb ninja stuff imho

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I liked the trains.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Is it weird that overall I've preferred the Mecha designs in TOQger, Nininger, and Jyuohger over Go-Busters', and similarly preferred Goseiger's over Gokaiger's, and while I like the three main robots in Shikenger overall(along with the extra robots), I feel any combinations involving more than one of them were incredibly mediocre and half-assed

Overall it just feels that the mecha aspects to Go-Busters and Gokaiger were complete afterthoughts during development and writing to an extent not seen since Dairanger(and at least the ones from Dairanger look good), same with any of the multi mech combinations from Shikenger

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It is weird, because they put a lot of work into the Gobusters bots and making sure they weren't all clusterfucks. Are you sure you aren't confusing it with some other series?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

ToQ had better villains. Its 6th Ranger and Supporting cast is highly debatable in which is better, but i think ToQ's is slightly better.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xelkelvos posted:

ToQ had better villains. Its 6th Ranger and Supporting cast is highly debatable in which is better, but i think ToQ's is slightly better.

ToQ's 6th was better, imo. I liked the concept of Star Ninjer a lot, but in execution he didn't quite pay off on all the "weirdo cowboy tourist from America" shenanigans I was expecting.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

drrockso20 posted:

Overall it just feels that the mecha aspects to Go-Busters and Gokaiger were complete afterthoughts during development and writing to an extent not seen since Dairanger(and at least the ones from Dairanger look good), same with any of the multi mech combinations from Shikenger

You mean Go-Busters, where they went out of their way to make the mecha actually important to the series and not just something that shows up for two minutes at the end of every episode?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty much the only main Riders who don't have a direct connection to their antagonist group are Super-1, Black RX, and J off the top of my head

V3 as well, seeing as he was made by Rider 1 & 2 (though Kotaro's mutation into RX was somewhat indirectly caused by Crisis so I'm not sure if he fully counts). But yeah, the concept of a Kamen Rider using the same/a similiar power as their enemies has pretty much been a staple of the series since the beginning.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 15, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

deadly_pudding posted:

ToQ's 6th was better, imo. I liked the concept of Star Ninjer a lot, but in execution he didn't quite pay off on all the "weirdo cowboy tourist from America" shenanigans I was expecting.

ToQ's 6th ranger and villains were better and the plot had a little more depth (though they did a poor job of making it interesting) but thats it. They had worse robots, worse CGI, worse suits, a worse gimmick, worse rangers, worse supporting cast and, and I know this will be an unpopular one, worse mook suits. Sorry guys, the Crows looked dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dexie posted:

You mean Go-Busters, where they went out of their way to make the mecha actually important to the series and not just something that shows up for two minutes at the end of every episode?

Also spending a lot of stuff to have simultaneous Giant robot and on the ground fights and do a lot unique camera work and shots just for the robot, like the buzzsaw zord cutting a big hole in the Ace's cockpit and the sun light streaming in.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Cliff Racer posted:

ToQ's 6th ranger and villains were better and the plot had a little more depth (though they did a poor job of making it interesting) but thats it. They had worse robots, worse CGI, worse suits, a worse gimmick, worse rangers, worse supporting cast and, and I know this will be an unpopular one, worse mook suits. Sorry guys, the Crows looked dumb.

I think you may be insane. You might want to consult a doctor.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also spending a lot of stuff to have simultaneous Giant robot and on the ground fights and do a lot unique camera work and shots just for the robot, like the buzzsaw zord cutting a big hole in the Ace's cockpit and the sun light streaming in.

It was the first Sentai to use outside sets for the robot fights too, wasn't it?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dexie posted:

It was the first Sentai to use outside sets for the robot fights too, wasn't it?

And the big combination form had big plot importance outside of just being a bit power up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It was also the first time in a while that we didn't get the main "Megazord" right out of the gate, it took a few episodes before they gained their combined form. Though one day I'd like to see them try a main mecha that's just one piece rather than being made up of individual ones as we haven't had one of those since Timeranger (I count Ace from Go-Busters as something more akin to Ryuseioh's Warrior Mode in Dairanger.), besides it's not like the individual Zords get a lot of chances to do things on their own these days. Gokai-Oh might has well have been once since the non-Galleon ships were only used twice in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Depending on what you mean by main zord Go-Onger took awhile too. They had the three combiner but took a few episodes to hook all five up, or did they need Carrygator for that?

• Locked thread