Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I barely remember the Yukako chapters, so I decided to re-read the first one just now.

Koichi's reaction to her suddenly going nuts is magical.

:allears:

This is equally funny read both left to right and right to left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yukako gives us one of the best Duwang-isms, and for that, she is good

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yukako has impeccable taste in men and great hair.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Prince is known for singing about funk. What does funky music mean?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yukako might be problematic, I dunno I'm not the one to properly make that argument, but I like her, the anime made her cute and her Stand loving rules. Every episode of Part 4 from now on is going to be golden and perfect

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cinderella's still gonna be mega boring tbh

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah I'm not a big fan of cinderella. People talk about surface and lock as being the low points but for me it has always been cinderella. It's just kinda boring and I don't feel like there was any buildup or anything, it's just like "koichi gets forced to fall in love with yukako now" or whatever idk

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Yukako might be problematic, I dunno I'm not the one to properly make that argument, but I like her, the anime made her cute and her Stand loving rules. Every episode of Part 4 from now on is going to be golden and perfect
I'm looking forward to seeing her. I am also looking forward to skipping dozens and dozens of posts about her in the anime thread.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lol I completely forgot about Cinderella my bad. I'm excited for Kira to walk in and murder everyone at least. Still, who among us didn't have a probable stalker in high school we dated for a while against better judgement.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 15, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah I'm not a big fan of cinderella. People talk about surface and lock as being the low points but for me it has always been cinderella. It's just kinda boring and I don't feel like there was any buildup or anything, it's just like "koichi gets forced to fall in love with yukako now" or whatever idk

Yeah, Cinderella never sat well with me. I suppose Koichi decided "hey, hot girl is crazy but is hot gently caress it maybe she's more chill now".

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Cinderella is a primo place to stuff some filler into so I'm thinking it'll still be fine, not that I really disliked that arc in the first place. :dings:

Moltrey posted:

Still, who among us didn't have a probable stalker in high school we didn't date for a while against better judgement.

Even on those days when you feel alone and utterly unloved just think, just think... somewhere out there, there's a Yukako just waiting for you. My Yukako didn't have an electric chair but they did make their own wine, and that was its own sort of torture.

e: I guess I should re-iterate that I enjoy FILLER though I think I've established it, so in my mind however they embellish Cinderella would probably be fun.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 15, 2016

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Yukako is just another example of how Koichi surrounds himself with terrible people.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

The Sandman posted:

Yukako is just another example of how Koichi surrounds himself with terrible people.

Example A is Jotaro

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
i wish my sweet babby koichi would hang out with decent, good people, like that girl jolyne over there

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Dias posted:

i wish my sweet babby koichi would hang out with decent, good people, like that girl jolyne over there

don't belittle sweet boy koichi, why would he need to hang out with a four year old.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fiend Computer posted:

don't belittle sweet boy koichi, why would he need to hang out with a four year old.

she's a dope baby haven't you read Little Jolyne in Morioh

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Koichi is friends with everyone, and everyone can include people like Rohan and Josuke, or it can include Yukako and Hazamada

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Koichi was mayor of Morioh by the time Part 6 rolled around.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Raserys posted:

Koichi is friends with everyone, and everyone can include people like Rohan and Josuke, or it can include Yukako and Hazamada

Rohan qualifies for both categories

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Funky Valentine posted:

Truly a vocation the likes of which other amazing characters have had like...

Uhhhhhh

Smokey

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Truly a vocation the likes of which other amazing characters have had like...

Uhhhhhh

Smokey

smokey and koichi are great tho

they're not fishy characters like terrible jotaro

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Funky Valentine posted:

And still is

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

alcharagia posted:

And still is

Koichi would be like 19 if he exists in JJL, so I doubt he'd be mayor but now I want him in the background on the political sciences part of campus.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I just realized during the Ratt episode Josuke is going to say "Am I the only idiot in this episode?!"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Koichi would be like 19 if he exists in JJL, so I doubt he'd be mayor but now I want him in the background on the political sciences part of campus.

In Ireneverse Koichi is the mayor of Morioh, I meant. He is not in Jojleon, AKA the Steel Ballniverse. Unless he is 19 and the most young mayor of all time. Koichi could probably do it, but I doubt it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Koichi is already in Jojolion. His name is Yasuho.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm late to the discussion but I like Cinderella for a lot of the same reasons I like Italian Food, we get to see a stand user who doesn't habitually mentally or physically destroy people and just wants to make a living in their own (weird) way.

That said, I'm also pretty of critical of it for the same reasons I am of the upcoming Yukako episode. She's probably the closest Jojo got to having a rad woman in it at that stage (Lisa Lisa being a part of the Joseph Joestar Show: Ft. Joseph Joestar, notwithstanding), and she's so close but yet so far. She's tough, headstrong, single-mindedly determined etc, but all of her motivation is reduced to "How can I make Koichi love me!?"

It's really cool when some of the later villains or whoever are like "I need to stop them from getting away or they might get help from someone like Yukako, and she'll rain hell upon me." It'd be neat if something like that actually got to happen though.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Been working my way through Steel Ball Run for a while, and now I'm nearing the end. I finished reading the Valentine fight, which was amazing. Then I started into High Voltage.

Why, Araki? Just... why?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Roach Warehouse posted:

I'm late to the discussion but I like Cinderella for a lot of the same reasons I like Italian Food, we get to see a stand user who doesn't habitually mentally or physically destroy people and just wants to make a living in their own (weird) way.

That said, I'm also pretty of critical of it for the same reasons I am of the upcoming Yukako episode. She's probably the closest Jojo got to having a rad woman in it at that stage (Lisa Lisa being a part of the Joseph Joestar Show: Ft. Joseph Joestar, notwithstanding), and she's so close but yet so far. She's tough, headstrong, single-mindedly determined etc, but all of her motivation is reduced to "How can I make Koichi love me!?"

It's really cool when some of the later villains or whoever are like "I need to stop them from getting away or they might get help from someone like Yukako, and she'll rain hell upon me." It'd be neat if something like that actually got to happen though.

Yukako was Araki's first prototype of the Strong Female Character that he later perfected in Jolyne.

Then Hot Pants happened but eh, nobody's perfect.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Sandman posted:

Been working my way through Steel Ball Run for a while, and now I'm nearing the end. I finished reading the Valentine fight, which was amazing. Then I started into High Voltage.

Why, Araki? Just... why?

Why not

Begemot posted:

Yukako was Araki's first prototype of the Strong Female Character that he later perfected in Jolyne.

Then Hot Pants happened but eh, nobody's perfect.

What was wrong with Hot Pants, I don't remember much

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm still not sure whether or not Hot Pants died on that train.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

No, she is not.
No one ever had a problem based on the portrayal of Yukako Yamagishi. Drowning is problematic.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Hot Pants' death was the only really bad part about her, and Dio had the exact same problem where I didn't even realize they were supposed to be dead. I'd say people constantly threatening to rape Lucy Steel was worse.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Momomo posted:

I'd say people constantly threatening to rape Lucy Steel was worse.

Most decidedly yes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Momomo posted:

I'd say people constantly threatening to rape Lucy Steel was worse.

Yeah.

I know that araki is doing it because violence against animals and violence against women are his go-to shorthand for "this is an awful person and you absolutely need to have no sympathy for them and need to root for them to get their poo poo kicked in" but I wish that that didn't come up anywhere near as much as it does

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

FirstAidKite posted:

What was wrong with Hot Pants, I don't remember much

that, basically

she gets ganked unceremoniously and it's not even clear if she lived or died, and i don't think anybody ever mentions her again

e: that said she still gets a better deal than foo fighters did, gently caress annasui forever

Tunklord Supreme fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 15, 2016

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

The Sandman posted:

Why, Araki? Just... why?

High Voltage kicks rear end

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah.

I know that araki is doing it because violence against animals and violence against women are his go-to shorthand for "this is an awful person and you absolutely need to have no sympathy for them and need to root for them to get their poo poo kicked in" but I wish that that didn't come up anywhere near as much as it does

They should just replace all those lines with threats to make her docile, like a winter catfish.

It helps a lot that Lucy ended up being the most hardcore motherfucker out there and is the entire reason the main bad guy didn't win, so it's not like you can sum up her entire character as just being some victim.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I don't mind the Lucy stuff as much because she ended up killing Alternate Dio in the end, and that made up for a lot. And she ends up being central to the plot both with her adventures with both Scarlet and Valentine.

But Hot Pants just felt like a lot of wasted potential to me. Her backstory is kind of awkwardly inserted into the Civil War arc outta nowhere, and then she dies later in an amazingly anticlimactic way. She does get a lot of great scenes, though, and her stand is really cool.

God I hope we get an SBR anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
One of my favorite details about Lucy is her maiden name being Pendleton like Erina's was, which makes her owning Dio's rear end for good real satisfying.