Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Spoony never did Space Mutiny. :colbert:

e: Agh, page snipe....

The Best Friends Zaibatsu has been doing a series lately where they've been utilising their arts degrees and having a look at video game boxart.

They started with Double Dragon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaDgPmFXVD4

Which has some fun bits that I enjoyed as an art theory ignoramus type.

and have recently released a Megaman video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAqppv1Oml0

Which I like because of the European Megaman 2 artwork which always baffled me as a kid like: How the hell did they even come up with this?

KayTee fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The story of cinema is crazy like that. I think something crazy like 90% of movies ever made are lost forever.

90% of silent films, at least. Nearly all major studio releases in the sound era exist in some form or another, but film only lasts about fifty years, at most, before it starts to decay, and it’s expensive to transfer to new stock.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Chromatic posted:

Got it and installed. It make the tediousness of exploring a little bit easier.

Thanks.

Also, just a tip: In 1, SPECIAL stats are waaaaay more important than skills. One extra stat point makes a giant difference. Pick the Gifted trait at the start if you want to cheese the beginning.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I seem to recall somebody expressing a desire for more food and drink reviews in this thread way back? Well I just reviewed ALMDUDLER. In German.
I'm so sorry.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Almdudler is amazing. That's my childhood drink.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I ordered a 2 litre off an online Austrian shopping site one time. Worth it.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

echopapa posted:

90% of silent films, at least. Nearly all major studio releases in the sound era exist in some form or another, but film only lasts about fifty years, at most, before it starts to decay, and it’s expensive to transfer to new stock.

It's more than that; a lot of films were melted down to recycle the silver in the cellulose for other films, all the way up to the 50s. Theaters would often chop prints to be able to show multiple showings a day. Some were even just thrown away because no one saw any reason to keep a film after it wasn't popular anymore.

Like, this is a part of it, but it's not just natural decomposition. Going outside the movie realm, look at what happened to the DuMont Television Network's archives.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've completely run out of patience for people who think that story is the be-all and end-all of what makes a game good. If I took my phone and recorded a high school drama class's adaptation of Hamlet, and the phone only ever had a view of stage right, and at no point in time was the camera in focus, I would not create a great piece of cinema.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Those people are illiterate and can't even have the patience of reading genre fiction which typically trounces game writing in spades, yet ironically will suffer upon hours of grinding for more story beats.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Who are you guys talking to?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Augus posted:

Who are you guys talking to?

Terrible posters like Not Me and Ida Know

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Terrible posters like Not Me and Ida Know

That smug bastard framed me for spilling the sugar jar when I was eight! I showed my mom the dotted line going through the kitchen and everything!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

ZeeBoi posted:

Almdudler is amazing. That's my childhood drink.

I probably would have liked it more if I'd grown up with it, and if I liked soft drink more. Usually when I drink almost any soft drink, I drink the first third of the can and think "yeah I liked that, but now I don't feel like the rest of it." Love the ads though! I only looked up the info on the drink after I'd already tried it.

I'm unsure why my local shops has it stocked, I don't think we have much of an Austrian expat community here but I could be wrong.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So Linkara is taking a different approach to his Mid Summer Longbox of the Damned month. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy4trkAL9mw

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DStecks posted:

I've completely run out of patience for people who think that story is the be-all and end-all of what makes a game good. If I took my phone and recorded a high school drama class's adaptation of Hamlet, and the phone only ever had a view of stage right, and at no point in time was the camera in focus, I would not create a great piece of cinema.

I mean when a game itself has a heavy focus on story, as with many JRPGs, it makes sense to focus heavily on story when criticizing it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

I can tell you they didn't.. took nothing of note from New Vegas.

You say they didn't, yet provide proof that they did.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 16, 2016

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Don't feel like going back a few pages... but to the poster(s) who were "Meh" about the latest Spoony review-- you guys are over jaded. It was great! Great mix of riffing, commentary, jokes. The only downside of it is that it reminded me of how little Spoony posts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lornekates posted:

Don't feel like going back a few pages... but to the poster(s) who were "Meh" about the latest Spoony review-- you guys are over jaded. It was great! Great mix of riffing, commentary, jokes. The only downside of it is that it reminded me of how little Spoony posts.

It's not terrible, he just runs some jokes into the ground that could've been edited in on the first go-through of a scene. Instead of the third. Spoony could really benefit from an editor.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Augus posted:

hbomberguy made a new video about video games that I haven't watched yet because I'm in the library and I'm supposed to be doing work or something but am posting for the benefit of this thread having something to talk about besides sad people and their sad beliefs about ethics in gaming journalism, you're welcome thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJ1gyIzg78

Oh wow, that's a long one.

Really well made critiques like this make me wish I could go back and rewrite that one Fallout video I did. Like the part where I used the "nuking megaton" storyline as an example of player responsibility. Ugh.

I fully admit that 1) since it's out of my normal mode I have no clue what marks a good from a bad RPG and 2) The primary reason that I enjoyed Fallout 3 wasn't due to the story or gameplay, but because I've spent most of my life in the Washington, D.C. area so seeing it as a glowing ruin really did it for me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Despite everything else about the game, Fallout 3 has a really good post-apocalyptic atmosphere. It's probably the reason why a lot of people still like it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

achillesforever6 posted:

I can tell you they didn't since they got the same hack writer and did basically the same hack story and took nothing of note from New Vegas.

I found Fallout 4's story pretty disappointing as well, but one idea I think they took from New Vegas was dropping the morality system in lieu of having four different factions to ally with to reach the endgame. Instead of having the NCR, Caesar's Legion, Mr. House, and Independent New Vegas, you instead have the Minutemen, the Brotherhood of Steel, the Institute, and the Railroad.

I'm not saying that the F4 factions were done well, but it seems like they were trying to mimic what Obsidian did.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

KKall posted:

Really well made critiques like this make me wish I could go back and rewrite that one Fallout video I did. Like the part where I used the "nuking megaton" storyline as an example of player responsibility. Ugh.

I fully admit that 1) since it's out of my normal mode I have no clue what marks a good from a bad RPG and 2) The primary reason that I enjoyed Fallout 3 wasn't due to the story or gameplay, but because I've spent most of my life in the Washington, D.C. area so seeing it as a glowing ruin really did it for me.

Speaking of rewriting KKall videos,

I keep wishing one day you'll revisit Primer. I felt this movie could get a really interesting BHH treatment, but was hurt by the early days of trying to fit the jokey Channel Awesome mold.

Sorry for this being such a drive-by snipe Kyle, I'm just spoiled by how awesome your work got later on!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KKall posted:

You could, you know. Go back and redo the review. It's okay, opinions change as people learn, and video games are radically different from movies in how people think critically about them. I actually think it'd be interesting to see how you'd do another game, particularly since so many big budget games are aping movie language to tell their stories, but have the added layer of interactivity between critical story beats that shape how people experience them. They're also mostly poo poo at writing, with some exceptions *coughDarkSoulscough*

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

actually kyle, i'd recommend you not be the 1 millionth person on the internet to go back and fellate old RPGs for their "amazing storytelling" and stick to being an actual smart person with interesting ideas.

have you ever done Tarkovsy's Stalker?

Alaois fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 16, 2016

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I probably would have liked it more if I'd grown up with it, and if I liked soft drink more. Usually when I drink almost any soft drink, I drink the first third of the can and think "yeah I liked that, but now I don't feel like the rest of it." Love the ads though! I only looked up the info on the drink after I'd already tried it.

I'm unsure why my local shops has it stocked, I don't think we have much of an Austrian expat community here but I could be wrong.

I bet being an Austrian-Australian would be a great way to confuse foreigners.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Spent the day yesterday watching Night Mind's review of Everyman Hybrid. It's one of the Slenderman YouTube series and it's really well done, especially when Nick goes to read the tweets and letters from Habbit, the shows main villain.

But...ugg I didn't get any sleep last night. Tried to sleep with the lights on and my phone playing night vale on a low volume.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm currently making my way through S3 of Marble Hornets to watch those analysis videos and I've been looking over my shoulder a lot more recently.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I know right? I'm 29 years old. I should not be afraid of something that came out of a loving photoshop contest in GBS.

I haven't watched Everyman Hybrid beforehand though and from his analysis you really can't because it was way more of an ARG. Tumblrs, twitters to follow along with the videos plus Habbit's trials.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I followed EMH when it was updating semi-regularly. It was very ARG-y, and the guys behind it are really cool and nice. I never watched Tribe Twelve beyond the first few episodes, but of the "big three" Slender Man series (EMH, Tribe Twelve, and Marbel Hornets) I liked it the most because it had the most character, and significantly more moments of levity and heart. While it's a horror series, I feel like those humanizing moments are really what make it work. MH got kind of bogged down in drama and bad acting. I still haven't finished what EMH has put out in the last year (that sounds like a lot, but it's really like only 2-3 episodes tops). I think I still have most of the plot in my head.

My only big complaint about the series is that while HABIT is novel and a pretty neat idea, I feel like they threw a few too many creepypasta into it. Like, there was Slender Man, okay. Then The Rake. Uh... sure, I guess. Then... Candle Cove? Might wanna slow down here a bit guys.

E: As a matter of practicality though, it got significantly less convoluted as time went on. You see this with a lot of these split-channel Youtube series. As they get longer things start consolidating on one main channel or source just for ease of access. It happened with lonelygirl15 too, where after time everything moved to Bree's channel (regardless of how much sense it made). You still need a wiki to follow the early part, though.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 16, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Chromatic posted:

Hbomberdude's video inspired me to download fallout 1 and 2 to run through them because why the gently caress not. 30 minutes outside the vault I run into a raider base and tell i'm just looking around. They slaughter me. Jerks.

Hope this game hasn't suffered too much due to the sands of time. It definitely doesn't hold your hand like most games these days.

Edit: These rats are loving insufferable.
I was going to tell you to 'gitgud' but then I remembered every time I've ever played Fallout 2 I go straight to Navarro and steal the Power Armor MKII so I can cheese the rest of the game. Maybe I'm not the fantastic gamer I think I am. This is a really vague tip but try to find Combat Armor and don't be afraid to savescum.

High Speech and Intelligence always pays off. You can play the game any way you want but Small Guns and a Sniper Rifle is my favorite. Also, Melee and murdering everyone with your bare fists saves on inventory space.

KKall posted:

make me wish I could go back and rewrite that one Fallout Zardoz video I did.
I dare you

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 16, 2016

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lornekates posted:

Naw it was really mediocre. Plus he does that annoying thing a lot of these internet riffers do and replays a stupid moment or piece of dialogue four or five times while he makes unfunny jokes about that particular moment.

Haha he said hard-on let's see that again a few times while I pretend to not understand for comedic effect.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Also a lot of Internet critics are just really bad book reports where someone spends most of the time retelling the plot and offering very little critical analysis or thought.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

ZeeBoi posted:

Naw it was really mediocre. Plus he does that annoying thing a lot of these internet riffers do and replays a stupid moment or piece of dialogue four or five times while he makes unfunny jokes about that particular moment.

Haha he said hard-on let's see that again a few times while I pretend to not understand for comedic effect.

It's the internet reviewer's version of Line-O-Rama. It underscores bad editing, and a fundamental misunderstanding of comedy.

ZeeBoi posted:

Also a lot of Internet critics are just really bad book reports where someone spends most of the time retelling the plot and offering very little critical analysis or thought.

This is why I consider the Doug Walker style of reviewing (which a lot of current and former CA people use) just lazy. It requires no knowledge of film to pull off (example: Doug Walker).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

PassTheRemote posted:

This is why I consider the Doug Walker style of reviewing (which a lot of current and former CA people use) just lazy. It requires no knowledge of film to pull off (example: Doug Walker).

I don't mind it if it's a movie I've never seen and have no intention of seeing.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't mind it if it's a movie I've never seen and have no intention of seeing.

I also don't mind if it's entertaining. I liked early Nostalgia Critic because it was concise, funny, and had the novelty of covering silly old stuff like Kazaam or Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I wasn't looking for thorough critical analysis of "Good Burger" is what I'm saying.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alaois posted:

actually kyle, i'd recommend you not be the 1 millionth person on the internet to go back and fellate old RPGs for their "amazing storytelling" and stick to being an actual smart person with interesting ideas.

I mean I wouldn't put it this way, but yeah, kinda

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jsor posted:

Candle Cove? Might wanna slow down here a bit guys.

Dammit, I went and looked this up and wow, the rabbit hole I just fell down :gonk:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Jsor posted:

My only big complaint about the series is that while HABIT is novel and a pretty neat idea, I feel like they threw a few too many creepypasta into it. Like, there was Slender Man, okay. Then The Rake. Uh... sure, I guess. Then... Candle Cove? Might wanna slow down here a bit guys.

It's not the quantity of different things that's the issue, so much as the execution really. Night Mind's most recent video is (a short one!) on Stan Frederick which shows a way of making that work by being sort of a creepypasta X-Files (that also took the piss out of every generic creepypasta cliche imaginable). So, in theory, the EMH guys could've made it work but really mixing them together the way they did just made more holes than it needed to. Which is really to its detriment since the overall plot itself is a giant confusing mess that I'm still not sure I understand after watching all 6 of NM's videos on it so far.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Speaking of rewriting KKall videos,

I keep wishing one day you'll revisit Primer. I felt this movie could get a really interesting BHH treatment, but was hurt by the early days of trying to fit the jokey Channel Awesome mold.

Sorry for this being such a drive-by snipe Kyle, I'm just spoiled by how awesome your work got later on!

Not a snipe at all! I totally agree with you! I've always thought I was too harsh on Primer and on Shane Carruth in general. Once he does his third movie I might do a look back on Primer as well as Upstream Color.

I've felt that way about most of my CA stuff in general. I was trying too hard to riff and not understand. It just made me dumber and the audience the worse for it.

MrSlam posted:

I dare you

I totally have another angle on Zardoz. I need to watch more insano-bonkers stuff in general, but Zardoz... ho boy the problems I still have with Zardoz...

Alaois posted:

That's probably why I ended up trying to argue for Fallout as a whole being a quasi-environmentalist fable.

And no I haven't. I talked a bit about Tarkovsky in the Gerry Redux video, but I've never talked about Stalker in depth.

KKall fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
If Spoony put out a review like that about once/twice a month, honestly I think most people would be fine with it. Sure, it's not as good as his old stuff, but its watchable and has some laughs.

• Locked thread