Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Eh, I could prove the ranges for sure if I had someone else willing to do nutty things like test invasions at SL 800.

But really, all the game does is store the highest reinforcement you've ever reached somewhere and checks it whenever it's time to update signs being shown or determining valid invasion targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Occasionally when I run a fight club, when players approach they appear as giant glowing blobs of colored light for a few seconds until they get close. What spell/items causes that?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

McKilligan posted:

Occasionally when I run a fight club, when players approach they appear as giant glowing blobs of colored light for a few seconds until they get close. What spell/items causes that?
The Glitch spell, it happened to me occasionally when farming Silver Knights too, just as the second one walked from platform to stairs. It's probably something with the lighting engine.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
If I had to guess, the guy in the video was probably using a +5 weapon. It looks like the Astora Straight Sword.

I was playing with an estus twink for a while and stayed at level 15 the entire time, with a +2 Raw Barbed Straight Sword. I'd usually do around 100 damage per swing to people, so if you guess an extra 20 damage per reinforcement level, along with the rear end's slightly higher base damage, I can see that being where he'd deal 185 damage to those phantoms. Host could be as low as +3.

You also can't invade with 10 estus. 7's the max, since that's half of 15 rounded down, but I think the host should have been getting an extra estus use each time a red or purple phantom died as well. So it wasn't just the invader getting more to keep going.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
The open heart surgery crocodile wolves used to give me issues, because like an idiot I thought they needed to be rolled under. Turns out some of the old ultra violence was the key.

http://i.imgur.com/WsO6nbb.webm

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Gaping Doggies

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I like to sit around and coop for the princes, nk, and soul, all because they're pretty incredible fights in their own rights + ridiculously good music.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Just in case anyone's wondering, you can still do that tree glitch (to get the silver serpent ring). I had asked before wondering if you could still do it with the latest patch since it was taking me so long

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Apropos of nothing, really, I finally beat the game. I've been playing mostly on steam link running over wifi. It wasn't until this week that I was able to sit down and get the ps4 controller working directly with the PC. I didn't realize the delay that I was playing with. I struggled hard to get past Pontiff up til then. The game was so drat easy after that point, holy poo poo. I think I rammed my face into the Pontiff about 30 times. But I beat all the rest of the bosses (except NK) in under 10 total attempts, including 1-shotting DS armor and the final boss. Though Yhorm doesn't really count - does Seigward just trivialize that fight? Because it felt like a joke.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://pastebin.com/APWK8EhT this is the CT to enable DS1 poise allegedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Zqhv8Qi2g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTCMkPHcfl8

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No it's not.

That's an invulnerability script with invulnerability edited out.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

No it's not.

That's an invulnerability script with invulnerability edited out.

hosed up if true

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Seriously.

Check the public table, iFrame script. People have been totally had.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Seriously.

Check the public table, iFrame script. People have been totally had.

I added you on steam if you still need someone to help you test poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anyone noticed bonus estus from dead enemies happening much more often as a phantom? It seems to come in much more frequently than in your world, which is great for going through an entire area in co-op even though your estus is halved. No idea if that's an actual thing or if I'm noticing something that's not really happening

I would be interested in knowing how the mechanic works in general. I have nothing to back this up but it seems like it might be an invisible bar that fills up with enemies killed until your next free estus, with tougher enemies contributing more (and invaders giving so much that it fills the bar several times). I never seem to get free estus soon after using a bonfire, while it seems to happen at roughly the same distance from one every time.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 15, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Digirat posted:

I would be interested in knowing how the mechanic works in general. I have nothing to back this up but it seems like it might be an invisible bar that fills up with enemies killed until your next free estus, with tougher enemies contributing more (and invaders giving so much that it fills the bar several times). I never seem to get free estus soon after using a bonfire, while it seems to happen at roughly the same distance from one every time.

it seems to work like humanity did in ds1: enemies give a certain amount of "chug xp" which replenishes a chug once you hit a certain point. so yeah, what you've said. one thing i've noticed pretty routinely is that beating an invader always gives me back estus when i'm a phantom.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

From what's been tested its just an RNG drop from enemies. With tougher enemies being more likely to give them and perhaps being affected by how little estus you have.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Apparently transferring your saves to a different account unlocks the hidden and much coveted autosummon feature?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357286119111456394/

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Wildtortilla posted:

I think the comment about RNG and feeling like the game simply decided to let me kill a boss is what I don't like. There's no sense of satisfaction after finishing a boss. I'm the other games I looked forward to boss fights cause I knew I'd get a rush and then feel satisfied by learning a hard fight. After finishing a boss fight in this I breath a sigh of relief and am happy I can explore a new zone before the next round of bullshit. Also in previous games I never summoned help for boss fights on my first play through. I think I've summoned one other player for each boss fight, except Vordt and Champion Gundyr. I don't find these boss fights to be fun. :(

You've described why I don't like Bloodbourne boss fights to a tee - they're just mad screaming and flailing creatures that don't make a lot of sense. For the boss fights here, I summoned on pretty much all of them on my first run through with a sorcerer, but have managed to hit them solo with my new fighty character. That said, I mostly view boss fights as an unwelcome interruption to the part of the game I find fun - the exploring and so on.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

argondamn posted:

Apparently transferring your saves to a different account unlocks the hidden and much coveted autosummon feature?

how do I do this on ps4

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Octo1 posted:

how do I do this on ps4

I don't know. I'm in the same situation. I might try backing up my save and messing with a new account with a ps+ trial?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ugh if I could reliably kill the last bosses' first phase without going through all of my estus the second phase would be a piece of piss.

The second phase is brutal, but manageable once you learn the moveset. The first phase is a constantly changing bitch. Once he whips out the polearm I know I'm hosed.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bombadilillo posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/description

So the Dark Soule Board Game is ending it's kickstarter soon.

And it's loving HUGE. Also super expensive. Being a UK product it's going to cost $113 before shipping in Murica money. It also has made an insane amount of pledges. 4 million and counting.

Now I'm a board game guy with a good collection so it's right up my alley. But I recommend going over and checking out the videos. It looks like a good fun game with based around a risk reward stamina management mechanic. It looks great to solo alone or with a few characters, you can also literally summon npcs!

You will probably not have a problem selling the game and kickstarter bonuses for a profit sealed box or not, if you are so inclined. There are a lot of summons and invaders that will cost a ton to pick up later.

Personally I'm in for the base game and the darkroot basin, which gets you the sif and Artorias bosses.

The comment section demanding more free things or they'll cut their pledges is disgusting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah the amount of models you get just with the base game at the moment is insane. Including every character and object there's over 100 now.

My main worry is that after the Kickstarter, no one will want to buy the game because 90% of the content is in expansions that backers got for free. I can't imagine what all this is going to cost at launch to non-backers. Letalone the fact that there's already about £250 worth of add ons that you can buy on top of the base game and the free expansions, and another £100 worth exclusive to retailers.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah the amount of models you get just with the base game at the moment is insane. Including every character and object there's over 100 now.

My main worry is that after the Kickstarter, no one will want to buy the game because 90% of the content is in expansions that backers got for free. I can't imagine what all this is going to cost at launch to non-backers. Letalone the fact that there's already about £250 worth of add ons that you can buy on top of the base game and the free expansions, and another £100 worth exclusive to retailers.

Yeah, might be a tough sell after that. I put in for the base, darkroot, and kicked in for a boss. For the amount of content included it's worth it. The rules they've shown so far are decent enough, and if the rest suck I figure someone will write more functional ones.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

argondamn posted:

Wait, so if I understand this correctly, autosummon matchmaking prioritizes new Steam accounts while older ones rot away at the end of the list forever? :wtc:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Cyberventurer posted:

Wait, so if I understand this correctly, autosummon matchmaking prioritizes new Steam accounts while older ones rot away at the end of the list forever? :wtc:

I don't think they're saying it's tied to the age of your account but it does seem to be tied to the account somehow. Someone in the comments is suggesting that it has to do with when you made your first connection to the DkS3 servers, but who knows.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I finally beat a SoulsBorne game! :woop:

Probably the easiest of them to complete, but still.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

argondamn posted:

I don't think they're saying it's tied to the age of your account but it does seem to be tied to the account somehow. Someone in the comments is suggesting that it has to do with when you made your first connection to the DkS3 servers, but who knows.

It might be account ID, though probably not the Steam one. Their list/table of matchmaking targets is sorted by number of summoned phantoms, I wouldn't be surprised if the structure they used unintentionally sorted by account ID too, and then they probably reused that for the autosummon invaders.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

argondamn posted:

Someone in the comments is suggesting that it has to do with when you made your first connection to the DkS3 servers, but who knows.

I'd believe it, i got a shitload of wolf squad murder on day 1 of PS4 play and now not even the Aldrich covenant works for me or anyone I know with a copy. I'm not even a little surprised if there's some stupid stack that isn't getting popped somewhere in the connecting algorithms, there's enough dumb poo poo wrong with this (otherwise very fun) game!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

What helped me was to leave medium shields behind. You either go no shield (or keep a small one for parrying) and just never even try to block, or get a greatshield and actually have enough stability to block more than two attacks. Medium shields just don't have a ton to recommend them this time. You either gotta accept that you can't block, or get a super-dedicated blocking tool.

I used medium shields just fine for the whole game, just like 1 and 2. And just like 1 and 2 there were some fights they weren't helpful on so I ditched them temporarily and just two handed.

This game is faster and a bit harder than the first two, but I really didn't find the experience so fundamentally different that things that worked before wouldn't work now. You just have to adjust your strategy for each fight and figure out what works.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I used a shield liberally for most of the game, but from Sulyvahn onwards you get staggered far too easily to be able to tank without a greatshield, so my dodge rolling got way better.

I still have a shield on me most of the time, either on my back or hanging uselessly by my side if I need quick one handed swings.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I didn't have any problems with using medium shields throughout most of the game. The trick is to just pick one of the ones with very high stability or situationally high damage resistance. You can pick up the Stone Parma very early on in the game, and that poo poo'll last you until you can get either a Black Knight Shield or a Silver Knight Shield, depending on your luck.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Does anyone have any experience with the crossbow's Tackle weapon art? If you're gonna say yeah it sucks please cite your sources.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I never use shields but I always have one equipped because it feels like my character is incomplete without something in the left hand slot

shields are a fashion choice is what I'm saying

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I use a shield and I roll because there are certain openings you can't really get from just rolling.

So I've tried with a different PSN account (new characters) and I'm at SL23/+2. So far I've only had one blue summon. Probably still better than my average but not what I'd hoped.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I kind of wish there was a bonus of any sort to playing without anything in the offhand. After shield turtling my way through 1/2 , I went into ds3 with the intent to only do rolls and it worked out great. But I never used a str build so 2 handing did nothing for me other than moveset (is there even a tiny damage buff? I don't think so but maybe). So I end up with a caestus in my offhand against unparriable bosses.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I just started a new character as a Mercenary and holy poo poo the sellsword twinblades are good now that the L2s are balanced properly (damage and stam usage went up). The L2 moveset is only barely slower than the regular moveset and the double hits do huge damage, especially when buffed. I've staggered bosses that I didn't even know you could stagger without 2handing a greataxe etc. because the drat things attack so fast.

They also have really good scaling on a single stat so that's 30 stat points saved by not using a weapon which does poo poo damage unless it's Refined.

The range is still probably too low to make it worth pvping with them but they're kicking rear end in PvE.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah, this sounds awesome but I'm not interested in dropping 200-300 bucks on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

argondamn posted:

Okay I testet this and it works. Set up a new account, did the whole save game shenanigans (and found something he doesn't mention), on my original save, I have 3 chars, but they where not created as 1 2 3, I deleted some chars I wasn't satisfied with, so my number 3 char on the original save, was actually the 6. char I created, so to load him on the new account, I had to make 6 placeholder chars, what was also interestings was that if I loaded char 3, 4 and 5, the game would actually load my otherwise deleted chars.

But as soon as I tried blades of the darkmoon on my new account, I started getting summons, still not many, but I got more in 20min than I got over 2 different chars I have taken through the game. ( I assume the wait time on Blades is that few wear the the way of the blue covenant) Will test with a new char if low levels get more hits on sentinels and watchdogs on my old account