Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Super No Vacancy posted:

doing anything in ffx2 battles takes fuckin forever. 10 minutes to cast a spell, 20 if you get hit int he meantime. 30 minutes to change your outfits. ffx battles are crisp and let you swap people in and out super zippy to take advantage of enemy weaknesses. tidus zip zoink killed a leopard dog thing and then i swtiched out to yuna who cast lightning in half the time it takes for paine to charge up lvl 1 snowball

I love the FFX battle system to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Super No Vacancy posted:

30 minutes to change your outfits.

Those animations take way too long so I immediately set it to "never show"

But apparently it only applies to ones I've seen already, so I have to watch the full animation the first time, even though the animation is barely different between theif to black mage and white mage to black mage. Surely they could have programmed it so it counts any "x to black mage" as one animation for the purposes of the skip.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised when Tidus really quickly comes to the conclusion of 'well sin may or may not bring me home which is what I ultimately want but I might as well not worry about it too hard until I see sin again'

he takes the early game stuff in stride and didn't mope as much as I remembered about being away from zanarkand

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

I didn't even notice the new character models in the HD version of FFX when I played it. :shrug:
Probably because I hadn't played the original since 2002

The only reason I noticed then was when I watched the Jecht spheres and noticed he looked like way noticeably worse than the main characters and it dawned on me that he didn't get an HD model. So weird.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Brother Entropy posted:

I was pleasantly surprised when Tidus really quickly comes to the conclusion of 'well sin may or may not bring me home which is what I ultimately want but I might as well not worry about it too hard until I see sin again'

he takes the early game stuff in stride and didn't mope as much as I remembered about being away from zanarkand

he's prone to outbursts but yeah, he never sulks

his only meltdown is @ mushroom point, like someone pointed out

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol the Besaid Aurochs never won a game in Wakka's ten year career, that's pretty remarkable in it's own way

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

multijoe posted:

lol the Besaid Aurochs never won a game in Wakka's ten year career, that's pretty remarkable in it's own way

To the dreams of my childhood, farewell

Captain Wakka, Besaide Aurochs

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
x-2 battle system best battles system. I'm just gonna delay this enemy's turn a ton by pre-empting its spell with an ability of my own, then while the enemy is waiting its turn for my ability animation to play out, I'll get free hits in with the other two girls. Before my big magic spell resolves I'm gonna change my white mage and warrior into gunners to make a huge chain. Instead of making my Black Mage use a Turbo Ether on herself, I'm just gonna switch her to Berserker because it has lower max MP and heal her MP to full with an Ether. Is that enemy starting to cast a spell? Stuff it with with the silence dance for right now and time a more permanent silence spell to resolve once the dance ends.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
By the way, about two weeks ago tidbits of gameplay from that Game Informer article I talked about before was released, so you can see for yourself what I read. The FPS looks overall smoother than Duscae, like the article said, but even in the video you can see some stuttering, in particular when he's on the boardwalk, which I called. It's unclear how much optimizing they will be able to do on the game before it comes release time, so I'm thinking FPS stuttering will remain a problem throughout the game just by virtue of how vast the scope of the game is supposed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5njWA_O2UKI

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I'm playing FF8 for the first time. I'm not trying to break it, but I've stumbled into a situation where I can easily get large numbers of -aga spells about five hours in.

Is it possible to play this game without breaking it? I haven't even been playing cards.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Gologle posted:

By the way, about two weeks ago tidbits of gameplay from that Game Informer article I talked about before was released, so you can see for yourself what I read. The FPS looks overall smoother than Duscae, like the article said, but even in the video you can see some stuttering, in particular when he's on the boardwalk, which I called. It's unclear how much optimizing they will be able to do on the game before it comes release time, so I'm thinking FPS stuttering will remain a problem throughout the game just by virtue of how vast the scope of the game is supposed to be.

I wouldnt even consider playing the game before it ends up on PC in like, two years time, whereupon you'll be able to brute force it with an extremely powerful computer rig. You'll also get silky smooth 60 fps instead of stutery 17 fps.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Hamsterlady posted:

I'm playing FF8 for the first time. I'm not trying to break it, but I've stumbled into a situation where I can easily get large numbers of -aga spells about five hours in.

Is it possible to play this game without breaking it? I haven't even been playing cards.

If you are moderately good at video games, you will stumble into many ways to break the game so long as you understand the junction system. It's a very breakable game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

doing anything in ffx2 battles takes fuckin forever. 10 minutes to cast a spell, 20 if you get hit int he meantime. 30 minutes to change your outfits. ffx battles are crisp and let you swap people in and out super zippy to take advantage of enemy weaknesses. tidus zip zoink killed a leopard dog thing and then i swtiched out to yuna who cast lightning in half the time it takes for paine to charge up lvl 1 snowball

You can increase the battle speed

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can also naturally turn most of that off and make the atb move faster

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gologle posted:

Not like the latest consoles have the excuse of being a decade old with ancient hardware. Current consoles shouldn't have so much of an issue with 5 year old PC hardware.
I doubt a 970 will be able to get to max settings if it gets a PC release, because FF porting.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

bloodychill posted:

If you are moderately good at video games, you will stumble into many ways to break the game so long as you understand the junction system. It's a very breakable game.
the key is understanding the junction system

The tutorial's not very good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Not like the latest consoles have the excuse of being a decade old with ancient hardware. Current consoles shouldn't have so much of an issue with 5 year old PC hardware.
I doubt a 970 will be able to get to max settings if it gets a PC release, because FF porting.

FF porting has been pretty good since the initial release of 13.

And it's been said that if they do FF15 PC, they're rebuilding the thing up for PC specs.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Tae posted:

FF porting has been pretty good since the initial release of 13.

And it's been said that if they do FF15 PC, they're rebuilding the thing up for PC specs.

Yeah it won't be a port, they said they'd be straight up redoing it without the compromises required for consoles

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am really really excited for Final Fantasy XV. I'm daring to dream.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Hamsterlady posted:

But apparently it only applies to ones I've seen already, so I have to watch the full animation the first time, even though the animation is barely different between theif to black mage and white mage to black mage. Surely they could have programmed it so it counts any "x to black mage" as one animation for the purposes of the skip.

IIRC it counts "x to black mage" and "black mage to x", so in your example it would have replayed the animation to cover "white mage to x"

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Tempo 119 posted:

IIRC it counts "x to black mage" and "black mage to x", so in your example it would have replayed the animation to cover "white mage to x"

Ah. I thought it was every possible combination, but I didn't really play enough to properly test that assumption. My bad.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

In Training posted:

You can increase the battle speed

Which doesn't help against the queue on graphically intensive attacks. In fact, that probably makes that stand out more.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't remember what graphic intensive attacks could be in X-2 because the X games as a whole do not have horribly flashy attacks that you can just do normally, especially not X-2 where the most you get is the Super Dresspheres and a lot of the remaining are pretty simple animations.

I guess the particle effects on some of the dark knight stuff isn't great.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Festivalist Paine is :kimchi: eternal

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Winning the blitzball match against the Goers is so much less annoying when the game autosaves at the start of each half and also when Wakka comes back. I still had to reset a couple of times, but not having to watch all the cutscenes when you reset makes the whole thing a lot more manageable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One of the things I appreciate about FFX is how quickly the plot moves in the beginning. Within the first 6 hours of starting a new game you've already gone from Dream Zanarkand --> Baaj Temple --> Ruined Airship --> Besaid --> Kilika --> Luca. It's a very replayable Final Fantasy in the sense that nothing ever drags.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Personally I think the game drags on an insane level until Tidus ends up in Kilika. Worst part is Dream Zanarkand by far. The battle section takes way longer than it needs to and the music is so repetetive it's enough to turn anyone not familiar with FF-games off. The game picks up considerably after he meets up with Wakka.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think it took me literally five minutes to get out of Dream Zanarkand minus the cutscene.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's pretty crazy that the PC and phones are slowly getting every single FF game ever, if you told me this 5 years ago I'd never believe it. Hell one of my main reasons to buy a vita was portable FFX and replaying it in International Mode.

Did they find a secret game engine that lets them port every single FF to every single platform

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hamsterlady posted:

Oh yeah another thing is that I remember FFX-2 being way better than FFX because I love job systems but guess what it turns out FFX2 was made in like a week and has terrible balance

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Most games with job systems are busted because you can combine broken abilities to break the game even more.

Which of course is most of the fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh yeah another thing is that I remember FFX-2 being way better than FFX because I love job systems but guess what it turns out FFX2 was made in like a week and has terrible balance

That's what made FFX-2 so great though, easy ways to break the system if you think a little bit and no overwrought storyline. Just playing dress-up with my gurlz.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So does every Final Fantasy game with a job system. FFV and Tactics are awesome because they can be broken over your knee. I'm not sure how X-2 having terrible balance counts as a negative. If everything was perfectly balanced, you'd end up with XIII's combat system, which was neat but got old really quickly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Some people prefer a game balanced around making encounters good instead of slapping on a job system and not bothering to make the rest of the game meaningful

FF Tactics required way too much grinding.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Encounters are pretty much boring filler most of the time anyway though, which is why No Encounters stuff is so popular. They're there to get you new abilities, money for new items, and to deplete your resources (which they don't even do after FF3) until you try out what you've got against the boss. And then the majority of bosses can be beat without even needing said encounters in the first place.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Armitage posted:

Going back to FFXIII, and what the heck is up with the Gorgonospids. Fighting three of them is easily manageable, but add one and suddenly I need to max out all six roles and have max weapons.

Basically this sounds like it's the point at which the enemies can actually overwhelm any 1 character, a lot of 13's encounters are designed like that where they'll lead you in with low #'s in the encounters, then start to add in more numbers or combinations once they've broke you in and it starts to get more challenging. Some other FF's do this as well, but 13 in particular does this in most of its zones.

Most of the time though, you don't need to go to equipment or maxing out roles. You can solve most everything with just changing your team party/strategy/paradigm loadouts to take advantage of different things.

Mega64 posted:

Encounters are pretty much boring filler most of the time anyway though, which is why No Encounters stuff is so popular.

No encounters and having good thoughtful design in random battles aren't exclusive though. No encounters is a stress reliever especially w/r/t resource management so there's no reason you can't have both in the same game or that having one would negate the need for the other.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 15, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like encounters because I want to play the video game

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
encounters are good when you want exp and gil, and bad when you don't. being able to turn them off when you outpace that gain is a feature all RPG's should have

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
in conclusion, bravely second is the best final fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like the "work a bit to turn encounters off for an area" approach that Wild Arms 4/5 and stuff like Cthulhu Saves the World take.