Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

IPCRESS posted:

Considering the delightful conditions on Nauru and Manus, I'm surprised that more people didn't take up the opportunity to be re-settled in Cambodia.

It's going to get worse.

Broadspectrum (formerly Transfield) operates both centres and is currently in the middle of a hostile take-over bid by Spanish multinational Ferrovial.

You can't even boycott any of these oval office companies because they have fingers in so many pies and have a poo poo ton of government contracts for services unrelated to immigration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrovial

Lolie fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lolie posted:

It's going to get worse.

Broadspectrum (formerly Transfield) operates both centres and is currently in the middle of a hostile take-over bid by Spanish multinational Ferrovial.

You can't even boycott any of these oval office companies because they have fingers in so many pies and have a poo poo ton of government contracts for services unrelated to immigration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrovial

Secondary boycotts are illegal in Australia as well.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

how is it possible for a boycott to be illegal?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jesus christ, Nuke Australia.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Consumers can boycott any organisation they like.

It's just hard to avoid doing business with these cunts when they have the contracts to deliver infrastructure services. Ferrovial operates Sydney airport, among other things.

I swear that if any state had the balls to refuse to award these fuckers contracts, I'd move there. Unfortunately, we're all indirectly supporting these companies by consuming services they provide on behalf of the federal and state governments. Until something changes, we can't shut these fuckers down by expressing our outrage either politically or economically.

boom boom boom posted:

how is it possible for a boycott to be illegal?

They're talking about "sympathy" actions by unions. While they are illegal, the government would poo poo itself if there was any widespread industrial action on the scale of the 1970s and early 1980s. You can't prosecute everyone when you have a full scale general strike.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 13, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Lolie posted:

Consumers can boycott any organisation they like.

It's just hard to avoid doing business with these cunts when they have the contracts to deliver infrastructure services. Ferrovial operates Sydney airport, among other things.

I swear that if any state had the balls to refuse to award these fuckers contracts, I'd move there. Unfortunately, we're all indirectly supporting these companies by consuming services they provide on behalf of the federal and state governments. Until something changes, we can't shut these fuckers down by expressing our outrage either politically or economically.

I thought Abbott managed to pass that law to stop environmentalists boycotting Harvey Norman for using wood from old growth forests?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I thought Abbott managed to pass that law to stop environmentalists boycotting Harvey Norman for using wood from old growth forests?

It's kind of a toothless tiger because it was framed as a change to competition laws and you can only apply it to certain groups - specifically, consumer and environmental groups - trying to run a campaign against an industry.

http://www.treasury.gov.au/~/media/...A_combined.ashx

You also can't use it to bypass the right to campaign against government actions, even if those actions are taken by private organisations acting on behalf of the government.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 13, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Lolie posted:

It's kind of a toothless tiger because it was framed as a change to competition laws and you can only apply it to certain groups trying to run a campaign against an industry.

You also can't use it to bypass the right to campaign against government actions, even if those actions are taken by private organisations acting on behalf of the government.

Ah fair enough.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Millions of Crows posted:

How does mormonism, a "religion"founded on white supremacism and american exceptionalism and sexual slavery sell in the pacific? Or anywhere that isn't full of the white hicks?
I'm guessing massive ignorance and lies.

They also provide education (their education), and infuse money into the local economy. Providing opportunities they wouldn't have, otherwise. Look at BYU sports teams, lots of Pacific Islanders there who get scholarships to attend.

The actual spread of the religion there kind of depends on how strong the previous religions were prior to the Mormon push. The Marianas Islands have a few Mormon churches but they're very self-contained and missionaries don't get a lot of response because the Catholics were in solid control for 400 years. In the FSM, they're making more inroads because Christianity has only been around there for the last 100 years, and no one else is making a push. Samoa and American Samoa, and maybe Tonga, are where they've made their biggest gains.

I'm sure they just sell it the same way they sold it in South America, treating brown people as a lost tribe, even though they've now been genetically proven otherwise.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The Seventh Day Adventists in Tonga are pretty funny because they consider the international date line to be in a different place. They're one of the only denominations who have church on Saturdays and they couldn't convince Tongans to go then instead of Sundays because church on Sundays was pretty ingrained in Tonga by the point they showed up. So they just redrew their world maps so that the international date line was on the other side of Tonga, thus making Sunday Saturday.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Australia's detention centers are a national shame, and in future generations will be looked at like slavery is looked at by Americans.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Count Chocula posted:

Australia's detention centers are a national shame, and in future generations will be looked at like slavery is looked at by Americans.

They're an international shame.

The nations which accept money from Australia to house them are just as culpable, as are the corporations which operate them. It would be a hell of a lot easier to do something about them if they weren't off-shore and if they weren't operated by private entities.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder if Nauru was settled by people exiled from other islands, or was it pretty decent for that sort of island when it was settled. Sorta like how colonial Australia started as a penal colony. Like if there was a common ground, maybe Australia would be really nice to them, then. Or, by making the island a jail, it's sort of a weird diminishing historical rhyme scheme.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 13, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

doctorfrog posted:

I wonder if Nauru was settled by people exiled from other islands, or was it pretty decent for that sort of island when it was settled. Sorta like how colonial Australia started as a penal colony. Like if there was a common ground, maybe Australia would be really nice to them, then. Or, by making the island a jail, it's sort of a weird diminishing historical rhyme scheme.

Nauru was first inhabited by Micronesians and Polynesians at least 3,000 years ago.[12] There were traditionally 12 clans or tribes on Nauru, which are represented in the 12-pointed star on the country's flag.[13] Traditionally, Nauruans traced their descent matrilineally. Inhabitants practised aquaculture: they caught juvenile ibija fish, acclimatised them to fresh water, and raised them in the Buada Lagoon, providing a reliable source of food. The other locally grown components of their diet included coconuts and pandanus fruit.[14][15] The name "Nauru" may derive from the Nauruan word Anáoero, which means "I go to the beach".[16]

The British sea captain John Fearn, a whale hunter, became the first Westerner to visit Nauru in 1798, calling it "Pleasant Island".

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

IPCRESS posted:

Considering the delightful conditions on Nauru and Manus, I'm surprised that more people didn't take up the opportunity to be re-settled in Cambodia.

If I was on Nauru or Manus, getting treated the way asylum seekers are treated, and they came and told me there was this totally awesome new scheme if I just agreed to be settled in some other country that wasn't Australia, I would seriously be afraid that it was some evil plot to legally wipe their hands of me before I got vanished and chucked into a mass grave somewhere.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

doctorfrog posted:

We've done it in at least 3 locations we used to administer for colonial reasons - Christmas Island, Nauru and Papua New Guinea. None were originally British penal colonies.

Also, more info on the medivac mentioned earlier.

quote:

A Somali refugee and her newborn baby have been airlifted from Nauru to Brisbane in a critical condition.

The Refugee Action Collective said the 22-year-old woman known as Naima and her baby boy were flown in separate planes.

Ian Rintoul from the advocacy group said Naima underwent a caesarean operation on Nauru on Thursday and the baby was born one month premature.

He said an air ambulance transported Naima to Brisbane and a plane carrying the baby left Nauru three hours after his mother.

Dr Barri Phatarfod from Doctors for Refugees said the mother was on life support.

"Ever since the Government stopped routinely bringing pregnant women from Nauru to Australia to have their delivery, something like this was bound to happen," she said.

"We only know that something didn't go to plan, she's now in a critical condition, she was intubated... and we don't know how likely the baby is going to recover either."

Mr Rintoul said both were considered to be in a critical condition when they left Nauru.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-13/naura-refugee-newborn-son-airlifted-to-brisbane-hospital/7411796

Lolie fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 13, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What was the point of removing the 8 month old baby if you aren't going to incinerate it ? Was it a danger to the mother ?

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

oh listen to these cunts talking about how much they pretend care about 3rd world grifters cause it makes them look caring oh boo hoo rape happened on some island don't mention the raping was done by the same 3rd world grifters lest we let on telling them to gently caress off was a good call

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Fat Jesus posted:

oh listen to these cunts talking about how much they pretend care about 3rd world grifters cause it makes them look caring oh boo hoo rape happened on some island don't mention the raping was done by the same 3rd world grifters lest we let on telling them to gently caress off was a good call

You're the sort of person that'd be raping everything within sight if you knew you'd get away with it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

anyway this place sounds awful, holy poo poo australia

Jen X fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 13, 2016

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
So you get to live for free on a tropical paradise island and yyou get a monthly stipend to buy spam and gravy from the grocery store? Where do I sign up??

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Only downside is you have to dodge the roaming packs of killer dogs.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The kids are so hosed

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-03/mental-health-children-detention-darwin/7137858

quote:

Some of these kids are some of the most worldly and wise children, they've experienced so much in their lives already. And for many of them, they've experienced what it's like in Nauru and they're terrified," he said.

"They've seen people try to starve themselves, seen people try to hang themselves, seen the stress and depression that occurs among the adults they live amongst in Nauru.

In 2015 a five year old tried to kill themself

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-28/father-says-5yo-girl-attempted-suicide-in-fear-of-going-to-nauru/6355566

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I never thought of killing yourself until i was at least like 12 years old. These are some trend setting cutting edge kids we're making in these camps is what im saying

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Fat Jesus posted:

I hope you go to the toilet and get attacked by a funnel-web spider riding a blue ringed octopus carrying 8 taipans. Then I hope your door gets kicked in by an emu and a cassowary who proceed to kick you while you spasm from your venom cocktail.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Never imagined I'd be thinking back to Woomera with fondness.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-7rf9hz-Ko

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

MoreLikeTen posted:

what the gently caress was this thread going to be about if that guy didnt come in and drop like 50 anecdotes about it being hell island

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Papua New Guinea is another nearby island nation that hosts an Australian detention centre and has one of the most terrifying capital cities in existence.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/2012/09/201292892518329408.html

PNG is hell.

The abuse of mainly women and girls is off the loving charts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_violence_in_Papua_New_Guinea

and they hunt and kill witches http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/papua-new-guineas-tragic-witch-hunts/

and take a shitload of money from Australia and The Asian Development Bank and nothing loving changes.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

Vicodiva posted:

PNG is hell.

The abuse of mainly women and girls is off the loving charts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_violence_in_Papua_New_Guinea

and they hunt and kill witches http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/papua-new-guineas-tragic-witch-hunts/

and take a shitload of money from Australia and The Asian Development Bank and nothing loving changes.

loving colonialism, goddamn man.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vicodiva posted:

PNG is hell.

Lol what a shithole

quote:

While witch hunts have existed in Melanesian countries for centuries, researchers say the sadistic nature of the violence – which now often includes public sexual mutilation using hot iron rods inserted into the body

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 15, 2016

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

:smith:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Yeah, PNG is a depressing as hell place and the capital has beaten Aleppo and Dhaka as "least livable city in the world" some years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

quote:

Kuru is an incurable degenerative neurological disorder endemic to tribal regions of Papua New Guinea. It is a type of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, caused by a prion found in humans.[1]

The term "kuru" derives from the Fore word "kuria/guria" ("to shake"),[2] a reference to the body tremors that are a classic symptom of the disease; it is also known among the Fore as the "laughing sickness" due to the pathologic bursts of laughter people would display when afflicted with the disease. It is now widely accepted that kuru was transmitted among members of the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea via funerary cannibalism.[3]

quote:

Kuru causes physiological, as well as neurological effects that ultimately lead to death. It was endemic among the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea and was confined to the Fore population and those nearby populations with whom they intermarried. It is characterized by truncal ataxia, preceded by headaches, joint pains, and shaking of the limbs. Trembling is present in almost all patients with this transmissible spongiform encephalopathy; kuru is also known as "shiver".[4]

quote:

Those affected are usually people who follow the practice of family mortuary cannibalism.[6] In some parts of Papua New Guinea, bodies of those who died from kuru were dismembered to feast on the internal organs. "Often, they would feed morsels of brain to young children and elderly relatives."[6]
:catstare:

quote:

Alpers and Lindenbaum's research conclusively demonstrated that kuru spread easily and rapidly in the Fore people due to their endocannibalistic funeral practices, in which relatives consumed the bodies of the deceased to return the "life force" of the deceased to the hamlet, a Fore societal subunit.[10] Corpses of family members were often buried for days then exhumed once the corpses were infested with maggots at which point the corpse would be dismembered and served with the maggots as a side dish.[11]
:catstare::catstare:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Billmac posted:

loving colonialism, goddamn man.

We just took back control of Norfolk Island because they can't run themselves. Colonialism is alive and well in the 21st Century.

Dads Dip Cup
Aug 13, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Alpers and Lindenbaum's research conclusively demonstrated that kuru spread easily and rapidly in the Fore people due to their endocannibalistic funeral practices, in which relatives consumed the bodies of the deceased to return the "life force" of the deceased to the hamlet, a Fore societal subunit.[10] Corpses of family members were often buried for days then exhumed once the corpses were infested with maggots at which point the corpse would be dismembered and served with the maggots as a side dish.[11]

nothing quite like sitting down to a nice dinner with the family

looks like grandma's invited some friends, let's make it a party

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think some cultures are just worse than others

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

boom boom boom posted:

I'm all for understanding cultural differences up to a point, but there are some which are hosed up by any reasonable metric and shouldn't be tolerated.

It would be useful to get an agreement on whether cultural relativism applies for the following rich and ancient traditions:

Laws placing women as second class citizens
Cannibalism
Having sex with 12 year olds
FGM
Slavery
Sati

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

boom boom boom posted:

Look at this edgyBroMcPoster trying to validate cannibalism and all of the other obscenely hosed up things.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Plucky Brit posted:

I'm all for understanding cultural differences up to a point, but there are some which are hosed up by any reasonable metric and shouldn't be tolerated.

It would be useful to get an agreement on whether cultural relativism applies for the following rich and ancient traditions:

Laws placing women as second class citizens
Cannibalism
Having sex with 12 year olds
FGM
Slavery
Sati

well, you are called a racist if you try to stop that kind of stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

stop making this thread about australian politics you retards, no one gives a poo poo, take it to dd

It seems p clear to me that this thread was cunningly designed to interest everyone with Nauru and then dunk them into AusPol 2.0 before they realise what's happening.

Then we'll wake up from our torpor and show that Australian government what for.

(I don't mind though this is a good thread :))

• Locked thread