Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The other team we play in my league was filming the last game, but hasn't posted the video on YouTube yet. They've started to get closer to winning these past few games, so maybe they're just waiting until their first win to start posting the recordings again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I got my lovely skates sharpened so no more lovely rentals for me.
Going to mcfetridge tonight in chicago to skate. I'm hoping if i skate twice a week I'll eventually be able to be able to crossover to the right

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Glide circles on those outside edges, helped me more than any other drills.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

A small joy I have is when someone has their kids come to the game, and they all stand by the rink door post-game for fist bumps. Happened last night, and I don't think those kids were even with any of us.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kids think goalies are the coolest so I always get fist bumps when I walk into the rink. Sometimes they even think I play for the EHCL team :3:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zip can I skate with you in the UK at some point between June 5-12? Dates are tentative and I will have some work but also some free time.

Join irc and let me know what's up. I will bring the beers

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I will buy you new skates if you get an a for real fight with an Englishman and film it and post it

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I need to find the most inflammatory jersey and socks possible.

Also get on a plane. Zip, make it happen.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
^^^ Scottish Independence Jersey??

Bradf0rd posted:

You gotta post this.

Hah naaaaaaaah.

I haven't gotten around to editing it yet and I only recorded it cause our goalie wanted to see his progress (we actually started at the exact same time and didn't realize we actually met the year previous in our adult LTP class.)

As I recall, though, this want a good game for me and I think I remember having an unassisted fall down (dull skates, tired legs, lovely skating, Sun was in my eyes) late game and getting a lil salty about it. Maybe I'll post that. :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT jersey

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Mods!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I skated today on my new sharp edges. I feel like my life changed. It was so good. I can crossover so easily. I can't do a hockey stop now though. My edges just make me turn weeeee

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

RC Cola posted:

I skated today on my new sharp edges. I feel like my life changed. It was so good. I can crossover so easily. I can't do a hockey stop now though. My edges just make me turn weeeee

I always dull my blades slightly before going for a stop after a sharpen by doing the stopping motion one skate at a time by the boards.

Apparently it's quite common as stopping with really sharp skates can be rough unless you are an incredible skater.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you get a larger hollow on your sharpen you won't have to do that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Also I'm practicing shooting. I'm righty and can't elevate the puck at all. I switched to my friends lefty stick and can elevate and aim the puck perfectly. I don't understand???

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

How long have you played for? If you shoot better with a lefty stick then switch.

Are the curves the same?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Shoot left, dude. I gotta 2 people on my team that are right handed irl but hockey left side.

Plus you jerks get a better pick of the clearance sticks :argh:

Also I think all of the goalies in the Seattle area have exploded. I've seen 3-4+ teams that need a net minder all of a sudden for summer leagues. THEY'RE ALL DEAD!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

OK I guess I'm a hockey lefty

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

Apparently it's quite common as stopping with really sharp skates can be rough unless you are an incredible skater.

Teammate did that last year. Was all impressed by his sweet skate sharpening in the locker room and talking how it had been "forever" since the last one.

First shift, chasing puck into the corner and he pitches over his skates trying to stop from a full sprint. Ankle in a brace for a month. :v:

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

RC Cola posted:

Also I'm practicing shooting. I'm righty and can't elevate the puck at all. I switched to my friends lefty stick and can elevate and aim the puck perfectly. I don't understand???

Duke Chin posted:

Shoot left, dude. I gotta 2 people on my team that are right handed irl but hockey left side.

RC Cola posted:

OK I guess I'm a hockey lefty

Most countries have the dominant hand at the top, it's the reason right handed defenders are so rare in the NHL, I think the USA is the only country where we train right handers to use right handed sticks.

Side bonus, most forwards want to play right wing, so when you show up on a new line/team/pickup everyone will love you for going to the left side naturally.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

Well that's the first time I've ever been called an incredible skater.

Also I always hated 1/2" hollow and moved to 92/75 fbv (9/16 equivalent) and it felt like a perfectly "broken in" 1/2" hollow from the first stride. I recently had to use 100/50fbv (1/2" equivalent) and it felt better so give fbv a try if you want an expensive gimmick that Really Works I Swear.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Chemmy posted:

If you get a larger hollow on your sharpen you won't have to do that.

Larger hollows can even make you faster as each push glides easier too. I found 5/8 to be the most ideal once my skating got better.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

sellouts posted:

Well I find it difficult to stop with the really sharp blades because they dig in pretty good. I usually play a bit dull so I'm more used to a bit less dig in mine. A lot of guys I play with say the same.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's the point. Listen to Chemmy. Get a wider hollow.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

Also I think all of the goalies in the Seattle area have exploded. I've seen 3-4+ teams that need a net minder all of a sudden for summer leagues. THEY'RE ALL DEAD!

Sorry, I won't be there until like 6/13.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Womp womp.

Oh well, we already got ours down in stinko lazy skate division. :v:

MajorJohnSteed
Dec 20, 2014

sellouts posted:

Also I always hated 1/2" hollow and moved to 92/75 fbv (9/16 equivalent) and it felt like a perfectly "broken in" 1/2" hollow from the first stride. I recently had to use 100/50fbv (1/2" equivalent) and it felt better so give fbv a try if you want an expensive gimmick that Really Works I Swear.

Not exactly the same situation for me, but very similar (not fbv). I was skating on 1/2", didn't hate it, but skating was just more pleasant after I had been on them for a few session. I decided to try something a bit shallower, had them cut 9/16". Step on the ice and just go "yep. This is my new hollow". With the 1/2" I would really feel the difference as it wore down, but now going with 9/16", it feels more consistent throughout. No longer "a bit too sharp > comfortably broken in > I really need to get these sharpened". Now its immediately where I want it to be for longer.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm left-handed but shoot right, most people I know play dominant hand top hand (in Canada). Another way to figure it out is pick up a broom or a shovel or an axe or something in whatever way feels natural. Whatever your top hand is there, that's probably your top hand in hockey.

The lovely thing is when your strong foot is also the side you shoot on. If I'm on offense my strongest stop leaves me facing the net on my backhand. My left foot is getting better but I still don't trust it if I really need to stop quickly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get a good backhand then. It's super useful.

During warmups when everyone's loving around drive by the net and roof that fucker on your backhand. Everyone will be forced to admire your skills because they're all lined up for a bunch of lovely slapshots.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

prom candy posted:

I'm left-handed but shoot right, most people I know play dominant hand top hand (in Canada). Another way to figure it out is pick up a broom or a shovel or an axe or something in whatever way feels natural. Whatever your top hand is there, that's probably your top hand in hockey.

The lovely thing is when your strong foot is also the side you shoot on. If I'm on offense my strongest stop leaves me facing the net on my backhand. My left foot is getting better but I still don't trust it if I really need to stop quickly.

The thing is that my leg is my dominate one I think. I do everything better turning left. Also I use a shovel and broom right handed. Maybe that's habit though. I'm going to try to find a cheep lefty stick today. I'm gonna work on my skating some more during an open skate. I'm pumped. I probably can't afford to buy my hockey stuff until after my wedding so I guess I'll set a tentative date for September 1st that I want to play my first pickup game by.
Once I get crossovers to the right and stopping to the right down I'll start working on skating backwards. Or should I just keep working on skating forwards and get the feeling for it?
Also when skating in a straight line and gliding do I want to be flat on the ice, or riding on my edges?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're going straight, you're on both edges. The rocker of the skate blade basically mandates if you're on one edge you're gonna curve one way or another. The effect is less if you're on the middle part of the blade but it's still there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Please go get in the way of everyone to try your lovely backhand and also defeat the purpose of warming up the goalie

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Please go get in the way of everyone to try your lovely backhand and also defeat the purpose of warming up the goalie

Unless you hate your goalie.

One of the teams I goalie for loves to just shoot against the boards. Leaving that one motherfucker that seems to love just doing that sad tryhard deke to shoot on me. It's like I gotta beg for warmup shots.

This team also has trouble scoring.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

RC Cola posted:

The thing is that my leg is my dominate one I think. I do everything better turning left. Also I use a shovel and broom right handed. Maybe that's habit though. I'm going to try to find a cheep lefty stick today. I'm gonna work on my skating some more during an open skate. I'm pumped. I probably can't afford to buy my hockey stuff until after my wedding so I guess I'll set a tentative date for September 1st that I want to play my first pickup game by.
Once I get crossovers to the right and stopping to the right down I'll start working on skating backwards. Or should I just keep working on skating forwards and get the feeling for it?
Also when skating in a straight line and gliding do I want to be flat on the ice, or riding on my edges?

I would work on backwards skating before weak leg training, backwards skating is super useful and fun. I also found it a lot easier to pick up than weak-side stops. Eventually you need it to all work together though, eg. being able to weak side stop into a backwards pivot.

Regardless, if you can stop and cross over on your strong side you're probably good enough to show up to a drop-in game. Don't put off going for too long, actually playing is a great way to get better and learn what you need to work on. I'm still the worst player on the ice at some of the drop-ins I go to and sometimes it's embarrassing but it's well worth it.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 16, 2016

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
The problem with any hollow other than 1/2" is that you have to have some faith in the guy running the sharpener to actually do what you ask and not just run on autopilot.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm unsurprisingly striking out trying to find skates at the three lovely pro shops in town. Luckily I know what size I wear, so I guess I'm stuck buying online. I don't really want to be stuck with special order skates that don't fit.

Any of the online retailers have a better return policy than the others?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Got a new stick from http://www.allblackhockeysticks.com and wow I am impressed. I was lucky enough to pick one up locally, but I think it's still around $100 for one shipped. I highly recommend them, as they feel and play like a top end stick, but for much less.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Only 8 skaters last week, so I got to play D. I had a lot of fun, I hope I get to stick with it. We went up 2-0 early, were behind 5-3 by the start of the third, and tied it 5-5 by the end.

I think the league is trying to save money, though. There was no one handing out jerseys like there usually is, so I and another guy that missed week 1 had to play without correct jerseys. I only had a black jersey with yellow shoulders with me (Gold team). Luckily I decided to bring my bumblebee socks. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

sellouts posted:

Zip can I skate with you in the UK at some point between June 5-12? Dates are tentative and I will have some work but also some free time.

Join irc and let me know what's up. I will bring the beers

I've got a skate at 10.45pm-11.45pm on the Friday night you'd be welcome on - its a team practice, so drills drills drills with a 20 minute scrimmage at the end. The coach who takes it is a dick but its probably one of the better skates when the right players show up. Not sure how well that works with your schedule?