Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i hope theres an idol in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Baal posted:

I'm looking forward to P5 being the Undertale of Japanese video games.

I've never played Undertale, but someone linked me to this video the other day, and my brain kept trying to parse the character's name as "Metatron."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Junpei Hyde posted:

Sweet, I get to date Matador
Matador and Daisoujou best characters.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

the real villain was you, the player, for controlling their every move and stealing their freedom

you are slave, want emancipation?

i'd legit be happy with a game that ended with the protagonist breaking the chains of the player and telling them to gently caress off

oh wait MGS2 already happened

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'd legit be happy with a game that ended with the protagonist breaking the chains of the player and telling them to gently caress off

oh wait MGS2 already happened

That's the ending of Contact for the DS too.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think the design for Arsene is really cool, thats why I'm sad I'll probably end up fusing him to get a persona thats a literal pile of poo poo with better stats about an hour into the game

the same dilemma that I had in P4 with Izanagi

not Orpheus tho, Orpheus looks dumb

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i was gonna make a comment that arsene might not be fused but instead have other personas fused into him, but then I remember the alice scene from the trailer.

it would be cool if you can have persona that's basically a different persona but maintain the same model

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

In one of the trailers where he's using Arsene he has a lot more health than in most of the other gameplay which probably means it's later in the game.

There's probably a lot of reasons why that doesn't actually indicate anything but hey

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
If anything, there's probably going to be a special end-game version of Arsene you can fuse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maybe they'll go for the Persona 2 thing and let you have Arsene and then like Arsene Custom for mid-game and an end-game Arsene

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Or maybe they'll let Arsene keep leveling and unlocking new/better skills so he can keep up with your party members' personas. You'd still need other personas to be effective if Arsene has a weakness, no immunities, and only one flavour of attacks. (Especially now that there are more than 4 elements).

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Deltasquid posted:

Or maybe they'll let Arsene keep leveling and unlocking new/better skills so he can keep up with your party members' personas. You'd still need other personas to be effective if Arsene has a weakness, no immunities, and only one flavour of attacks. (Especially now that there are more than 4 elements).

and then he evolves at level 55 or something

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

alcharagia posted:

and then he evolves at level 55 or something

What? ARSENE is evolving!

ARSENE became Lupin III!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I should hope that in the years between Persona 4 and 5 Atlus figured out a solution to the problem of the MC's thematic Persona becoming obsolete halfway through the first dungeon while still giving the MC plenty of incentive to collect, fuse and use other Personas. It can't be that hard, can it?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Remove Persona switching :devil:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

we here at atlus have heard your requests to allow characters other than the protagonist to switch personas, and well, we have decided to follow these suggestions. every character except the protagonist will be able to switch personas

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I should hope that in the years between Persona 4 and 5 Atlus figured out a solution to the problem of the MC's thematic Persona becoming obsolete halfway through the first dungeon while still giving the MC plenty of incentive to collect, fuse and use other Personas. It can't be that hard, can it?

They could do something along the lines of PQ's sub-Persona mechanic, although probably not exactly the same since it kinda made the game way easy.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Thuryl posted:

They could do something along the lines of PQ's sub-Persona mechanic, although probably not exactly the same since it kinda made the game way easy.

How does that one work, exactly, and what was the thing about it that made the game easy?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
they should never take anything from PQ

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Really, the thing that made PQ easy was the status ailment improving passive ability that also buffed instant-kill attacks.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

How does that one work, exactly, and what was the thing about it that made the game easy?

Basically each character had two personae: a main one (which stayed the same throughout the game but gained new skills as you levelled up) and a sub-Persona, which you could switch in and out like the main character can in P3 and P4. Half of their skill slots were linked to the main Persona and the other half were linked to the sub-Persona. Also, each sub-Persona gave your character an extra pool of HP and SP that replenished automatically after battle. So for example, if a particular Persona gave you +100 HP and +50 SP, then the first 100 HP and 50 SP you lost in a particular battle would come out of the sub-Persona's pool first, and you wouldn't start losing any of your "real" HP and SP which carried over between fights until you'd depleted those amounts.

It was kind of an interesting system, but when you combined it with how effective ailments and instant death were in that game, it meant you could spam multi-target instant death skills in every fight once you got them and get the SP back afterwards.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It basically gave the ability to Persona Switch to every character in the game, but their "base" persona, stats and resists stayed the same. So you could fill up gaps in their abilities very easily, and everyone became super good at everything if you did it right. The point of it was that you wouldn't be forced into switching your favorite characters out because you need a certain type of damage or ability, and you could keep your favorites for the whole game.

The main issue was that really early on you could make a Sub Persona for Naoto that would boost light and dark attacks to very high levels so that they almost always instant killed. And Naoto automatically learned the AOE versions of these skills. And she was really fast so she'd usually be able to use them right away. And sub personas had separate MP Pools that regenerated at the end of every battle, so she could do this forever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

they should never take anything from PQ

it's not like pq was mechanically a terrible game. it was just balanced poorly and had really bad dungeons

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's not like pq was mechanically a terrible game. it was just balanced poorly and had really bad dungeons

...so it's mechanically a bad game?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
how to make PQ a good game:

give it Etrian Odyssey's skill system
binds

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

...so it's mechanically a bad game?

no? the combat is fine, they just didn't balance status effects well

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I don't see how that makes the combat fine if you can just make it completely pointless by giving naoto a persona skill, which isn't very hard.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You can have good mechanics that are overshadowed by poor balance.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm playing Persona 2 (EP first because I'm a weirdo). Is the demon negotiations/persona summoning system as tedious as it seems? I'm just now beginning to actually want to summon new personas, and I'm looking at the amount of cards required for them and it does not seem very accessibly priced. To summon like anything at all, the weakest thing I'm able, it looks like I'd have to find a good spot to encounter a single type of enemy, run around until I do, spam negotiations until they give me the poo poo, and repeat this about five-six times. Increase this number as appropriate for higher level guys which cost like 500 cards. And that's not even getting into the free tarot which require setting up the contracts first and then doing some more farming.

I hear the game can actually be pretty much beaten with the starting personas, but I don't want to have to do that, that's boring. I'm just hoping this isn't even more boring because of farming.

You know, I don't think I've liked demon negotiations in any SMT game. It's probably not going anywhere (it's in SMT4 Final, right?) because of tradition but I really wouldn't mind if it got straight up thrown into the garbage.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I remember right I did nothing but free tarots, to the point where I eventually had 999 of them and couldn't get any more. By juggling getting free tarots and normal battles, you can more or less stay in a dungeon forever while both leveling up and getting cards because you get SP back as you run around.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
what if pq did the thing apocalypse is doing with light and dark, and made them normally deal damage and only be instant kills when you're boosted?

Tired Moritz posted:

how to make PQ a good game:

give it Etrian Odyssey's skill system
binds

it had binds, it's just that panic was better in almost every situation.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
it had binds?

I can't remember this at all.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

no? the combat is fine, they just didn't balance status effects well

It does have other serious balance issues even beyond that. Direct-damage magic is badly overpriced and underpowered compared to physical skills, and gets worse as the game goes on. The core of the system has some good ideas, but skill costs and effectiveness really needed to be rebalanced from scratch. Reworking enemy resistances and weaknesses would have helped too: part of the issue with status effects is that almost nothing is immune to any of them, and almost all non-boss enemies are susceptible to at least one kind of instant death.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Ah, yeah, I can see how that would be practically impossible to balance without letting something slip through. Still, just a bit of time in the idea lab and I'm sure someone could come up with a useable idea. I mean, with only the MC being able to Persona switch (presumably) it wouldn't be all that hard, say, to have Arsene's level be tied directly to the MC's like everyone else, with Persona xp going to the currently equipped Persona, or last equipped if Arsene's in use.

While we're wishing upon a star, I do hope the presence of Gun, Nuclear and Gravity (I think? I never touched any pre-PS2 title) means it won't be too easy to make god Personas that resist everything. If you can still pass down any skill you choose, then at least there being more properties should make it at least a little harder to get them all on the same Persona, though if we're REALLY wishing for what will never happen then I would wish that Personas get two or three resistances, tops. As good as Persona switching makes the MC in Persona games, you could honestly go pretty far with just fusing good ol' Yoshitsune with his immunity to three elements including the omnipresent Physical and a resistance on top of that because why not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the symbol was Nerve, not Gravity.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thuryl posted:

It does have other serious balance issues even beyond that. Direct-damage magic is badly overpriced and underpowered compared to physical skills, and gets worse as the game goes on. The core of the system has some good ideas, but skill costs and effectiveness really needed to be rebalanced from scratch. Reworking enemy resistances and weaknesses would have helped too: part of the issue with status effects is that almost nothing is immune to any of them, and almost all non-boss enemies are susceptible to at least one kind of instant death.

:agreed: Persona Q always struck me as a game that could probably be patched or even romhacked to have pretty solid gameplay using only a shitload of numbers and weakness tweaks. I still think they had all the right ingredients but inexplicable bad design decisions kept it from coming together

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I still think they had all the right ingredients but inexplicable bad design decisions kept it from coming together

It's totally explicable. They just put off the (hard, boring, time-consuming) rebalancing step of the design process and when there was a time crunch it went out the window.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
no one playtest enough to realize that naoto broke the game apparently.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ratoslov posted:

It's totally explicable. They just put off the (hard, boring, time-consuming) rebalancing step of the design process and when there was a time crunch it went out the window.

I assume the gameplay side was handled by the Etrian people? I'm only a dabbler in that series and I know those games have a lot of broken/useless poo poo at the margins, but I feel like by reputation nothing they did before or after is top to bottom busted like PQ is. Inexplicable is probably the wrong word though yeah, just a big time let down :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

:agreed: Persona Q always struck me as a game that could probably be patched or even romhacked to have pretty solid gameplay using only a shitload of numbers and weakness tweaks. I still think they had all the right ingredients but inexplicable bad design decisions kept it from coming together

Funnily enough, from what I've seen by digging through its data, the game is essentially a ROM hack of EO4 in a sense. A lot of mechanics and stuff from it are in PQ. Though the guy who directed EO4 also directed PQ, so that's probably a big reason why. :v:

I assume the gameplay side was handled by the Etrian people? I'm only a dabbler in that series and I know those games have a lot of broken/useless poo poo at the margins, but I feel like by reputation nothing they did before or after is top to bottom busted like PQ is. Inexplicable is probably the wrong word though yeah, just a big time let down :mad:

It was. Maybe they were told to make the game easier for the Persona audience. I mean for one thing, you're always reminded if you're missing them item that teleports you out of a dungeon instantly if you try to go into a dungeon without one of those. Where in the EO series, the lack of a reminder is considered to be a feature by the devs.

Another example would be Impure Reach. What it does is as long as the enemy in question isn't immune to an ailment or some form of instant death, the skill that tries to inflict those will always have at least a 30% chance of landing. The same passive exists in the EO series, only it's half as powerful.