Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

I wish I could survive long enough at close range to take down hell knights in three ss shots at medium difficulty.

Haven't tried strafing them too much yet, mostly because there's never been any actually open monster arenas yet. Everything is circles three player widths wide.

MisterBibs posted:

Nope, I'm moving as much as can be done with. The only way to consistently kill the fuckers is to backpedal, engage at range, and have the health packs memorized.

E: if I skip a rune challenge in a level, can I load that challenge later? I have no interest in trying the "Death From Above three Hell Knights" one right now, and I kinda remember a Rune Challenge thing on some menu.

you can literally just ignore hell knights and if you're as mobile as you should be they'll never catch up to you. when you actually want to take them out, treat them like an enemy in bloodborne or dark souls - bait out an an attack. circle around their back, repeat. all their attacks are so telegraphed you can easily dodge them if you're observant. and seriously aim for their face. 3 SSG shots are not long to get off. at medium difficulty its probably even fewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Starhawk64 posted:

So what is Doomguy's deal anyway? The game implies he's from some ancient order of demon asskickers from another dimension? That's about as corny as the Ancient Jewish Supertech from Wolfenstien TNO.

yeah but those are both awesome because both of those games are awesome. I like the idea that doom-guy is the daemons version of the "ancient evil sealed away because if he gets out all will be lost".

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 15, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Doom 4 has a really good story, even if it's not entirely straightforward. Here's what I could gather from reading all the codices: There are demons on Mars for whatever reason, and you have to kill them.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Protip: Shoot everything in the head until it dies (faster)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Protip: Shoot everything in the head until it dies (faster)

yea

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what order do you guys like to kill stuff

I usually go

lost souls
cacodemons
pinkies
solder dudes
chargy energy beam dudes
at this point you may want to chainsaw a shield dude for ammo
mop up any imps that are left

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

circle strafing only really works on the possesed and some imps and maybe a manicubus. the rest require charging, dodging, running backward.

Circle strafing works great on Cacodemons, Pinkies, Specters, shield guys and both type of soldier guys (laser and plasma varieties).
Provided you have space, you definitely can't go wrong with imitating a carousel unless you're fighting Revenants or Summoners basically.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Walrus posted:

I usually go

lost souls
cacodemons
pinkies
solder dudes
chargy energy beam dudes

I like to kill the little dudes first if they're surrounded by bigger dudes since I use the stun mod on my Plasma Rifle and you can chain stuns together while plasmaeing at them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, protip: Keep using the strong weapon attacks that have cooldown (basically all secondary attacks and the slower weapons) and switching to different weapons.
Personally I have bought all the weapons to different mouse buttons and keep changing between them like crazy mid-battle.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Always kill that flying bitch first. She's just gotta go.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I BFG or Chainsaw the Hell Knights/Barons of Hell.They're too much of a pain in the rear end to fight with all the other poo poo that's being thrown at me.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 15, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Who the gently caress plays Doom for a story?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Just so I'm clear on this: VEGA is a super massive AI construct that requires a sprawling complex located on the planet's ice cap as a heat sink, and you back it up onto a micro SD card

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Linguica posted:

Just so I'm clear on this: VEGA is a super massive AI construct that requires a sprawling complex located on the planet's ice cap as a heat sink, and you back it up onto a micro SD card

The processing power is huge, the source code is small.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Linguica posted:

DOOM was a super massive killer app that required the full processing power of my mighty Packard Bell Axcel 1150 to run, and yet it only came on 5 floppies.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

They probably reverse engineered all that stuff from Doomguy's suit. VEGA will probably become your onboard AI in the next game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

The Walrus posted:

I usually go

lost souls
cacodemons
pinkies
solder dudes
chargy energy beam dudes

The riot shields guys gets an instant chainsaw, up until I get the BFG. Then it's an instant BFG. It doesn't matter if he's the only one in the room. If he has a riot shields, it's a BFG to the face. They are legit the most dangerous enemies in the game.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Linguica posted:

In the year 2154, I'm willing to believe that, yes.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The riot shields guys gets an instant chainsaw, up until I get the BFG. Then it's an instant BFG. It doesn't matter if he's the only one in the room. If he has a riot shields, it's a BFG to the face. They are legit the most dangerous enemies in the game.

seriously gently caress these things, but also I wish they were bigger assholes

gently caress am I glad nothing else has shields like that, could you imagine a mancubus like that???

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

DOOM was a super massive killer app that required the full processing power of my mighty Packard Bell Axcel 1150 to run, and yet it only came on 5 floppies.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/129857/article.html?page=11

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

you can literally just ignore hell knights and if you're as mobile as you should be they'll never catch up to you.

Tell that to all the times I've died to a Hell Knight leaping up out of frame and landing on my personal space.

How far am I if I'm kinda-sorta close to leaving Hell after being sent there by a portal accident?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You don't have to tell me that. Starcraft nearly destroyed my entire system.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Tell that to all the times I've died to a Hell Knight leaping up out of frame and landing on my personal space.

If you never stop moving this will not happen

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

In the year 2154, I'm willing to believe that, yes.

seriously gently caress these things, but also I wish they were bigger assholes

gently caress am I glad nothing else has shields like that, could you imagine a mancubus like that???

There was a Quake 2 expansion pack that was basically that. Every enemy had an elite version that had energy shields. it was absolutely obnoxious and tedious.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Doomguy seems to be voicing an entire generation's worth of frustration at that one dude in every video game who's yelling at you over the radio.

Which seems reasonable as the first thing we learn about that guy is that he helped unleash a demonic invasion.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

MisterBibs posted:

How far am I if I'm kinda-sorta close to leaving Hell after being sent there by a portal accident?

Approaching half way

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

If you never stop moving this will not happen

Moving, died a lot from exactly that.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

smellmycheese posted:

Doom's going to be slow they said. Glory kills will slow things down they said...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xeleTM0MI2I&feature=youtu.be
Not only great use of the shotgun, but he's also using a controller :monocle:

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Hey Zaphod42, I see you have the skip intro launch command in the OP, but would you add these too? I'd consider these to be essential tweaks, especially the mouse smoothing one.

quote:

Skip intro videos:

+set com_skipIntroVideo 1

Enable Nightmare graphics settings

+menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1

Skip "press key to continue" prompts

+com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1

Disable Mouse Smoothing (enabled by default):

+set m_smooth 0

- Find and open the DOOMConfig.cfg with a text editor
- Find the value m_smooth "1" and set it to 0
- Save the file

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The second boss is way less awesome than the first one.
All of his moveset is rendered moot by strafing and double jumping non-stop.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Moving, died a lot from exactly that.

faster

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

The second boss is way less awesome than the first one.
All of his moveset is rendered moot by strafing and double jumping non-stop.

He was way easier than the Cyberdemon for me, too. I was expecting there to be a Phase Three because that would have been totally chaotic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Beat the game. Eh, it was alright. The endgame really petered out hard, it fell into the exact same rigamarole as Serious Sam where they ran out of ideas for level design and just threw the player into big open arenas (sometimes with platforming) with a full refill of all resources at the end and so nothing was gained or lost except for time.

At least the areas aren't gigantic flat perfect squares like in that game. :sigh:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 15, 2016

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Supernorn posted:

Hey Zaphod42, I see you have the skip intro launch command in the OP, but would you add these too? I'd consider these to be essential tweaks, especially the mouse smoothing one.

Does that mouse smoothing fix that weird sort of resistive slow mouse look?

I loving hate that poo poo

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Running around the levels looking for those little Doomguy figurines really makes me wish Bethesda would make real life versions of those toys, wanna bet they will? The Vinyl Pop! one doesn't count.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 15, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Bat the game. Eh, it was alright. The endgame really petered out hard, it fell into the exact same rigamarole as Serious Sam where they ran out of ideas for level design and just threw the player into big open arenas (sometimes with platforming) with a full refill of all resources at the end and so nothing was gained or lost except for time.

At least the areas aren't gigantic flat perfect squares like in that game. :sigh:

I was just about to say that I wish that arenas were larger and more open.
I keep getting stuck on terrain and in corners while trying to maneuver around.

Xaris posted:

Does that mouse smoothing fix that weird sort of resistive slow mouse look?

I loving hate that poo poo

That's exactly what it does.
The smoothing is loving horrible.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Starhawk64 posted:

Running around the levels looking for those little Doomguy figurines really makes me wish Bethesda would make real life versions of those toys, wanna bet they will? The Vinyl Pop! one doesn't count.

Yeah, I agree. The Pop! one doesn't have nearly as much personality. Funko is also making a smaller Doom pvc as part of their Bethesda themed blind boxes, but I know how people feel about blind boxes. I wish someone would just make copies of the Doom Guys from the game, with the color variations, too. I'd love a little Doom-Keen.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Proving there is no subject related to Tech that he can't help but be completely wrong on

quote:

Being polite, you could describe DOOM’s game play as old school. Demons appear and hurl fireballs at you—just like in the original DOOM!—and you can simply sashay left and right to avoid them … yes, just like in the original DOOM! Except that that’s not really fun anymore, it’s just dumb. And DOOM’s inability to move beyond the past, aside from the graphics, is what sort of makes this game … not fun.
The nature of the enemies and the game doesn't completely change on higher difficulty, 1 star

quote:

Worst of all, however, the new DOOM cheats in exactly the same way the original did over 20 years ago: You wipe out an area full of demons, there’s flash, and then more just appear. So the way DOOM gets harder on the upper skill levels is to just throw more at you. Dumb. Not fun. And most certainly not sophisticated.

Prometheus invented holograms

quote:

The new DOOM tries to cut down the middle. On the on hand, the single player experience is all about speed and action. But there are also plot elements that are teased out slowly as the game progresses, using blue hologram-like entities that were lifted straight out of the movie “Prometheus.” So it’s a combination of fast but dumb gameplay and a plot of that tries to seriously explain why demons are invading Mars. Which is of course a ludicrous set up for a game, when you think about it.

edit: lol

quote:

I’ll keep playing as long as I can stand it, but I find myself drifting back to the latest Call of Duty title—Black Ops 3, which is excellent—for more sophisticated and fun (multiplayer) game play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean the story in this game is pretty bad and generally uninteresting, but the game doesn't gear you up to expect it to be anything else. Plus there's a bunch of lore poo poo you can read if you really want you Doom backstory fix.

I did find myself getting really annoyed whenever Doomguy- THE Doomguy -just kinda stood there slackjawed and watched the evil mc bad people open portals between Mars and hell and did absolutely nothing with guns lowered. It happens multiple times. He doesn't even try to like, punch the glass or otherwise stop it form happening or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How much was bethesda involved in making this? am I going to find the next elder scrolls heavily influenced by their time on this or did they barely do much?

This is kinda confusing, but Bethesda is both the name of a developer (who makes the elder scrolls) and a publisher (who produces the elder scrolls, rage, doom, dishonored, wolfenstein, etc.)

The developer is technically "bethesda game studios" and the publisher is technically "bethesda softworks" but they're usually both referred to as Bethesda so I forgive your confusion.

The game studio is owned and internal of the publisher, but as far as I know the developer "bethesda game studios" didn't have anything to do with Doom at all, which I think is your question.

Bethesda the publisher however managed the whole thing, had ID do single player and then chopped up the multi and snapmap and sent other studios to task on those parts, hence their feeling completely dissimilar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It seems like every time I load a map I lose about half of my frame rate. The first one is in the 70s-80s, the second in the 40s, and the third in the 20s. I have to exit and reload the game in order to clear this. Any idea what's going on?