Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really hate how Dawn of War space marines look. They are far too small and they animate with this weird goose step gait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I really hate how Dawn of War space marines look. They are far too small and they animate with this weird goose step gait.

Yeah the marines are way too skinny, which is odd because they were fine in 1+2.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ed balls balls man posted:

Yeah the marines are way too skinny, which is odd because they were fine in 1+2.

Yeah, there's something off about the Orks as well - I think maybe their heads are too small? I'm going to chalk it up to the concept artist taking some liberties.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have started listening to "I am Slaughter." So far it is pretty interesting, and I feel like the Chrome enemies are kinda Starship Troopers-esque which is pretty cool. (Novel, not movie)

That being said, the wall-names (war names? Hard to understand which word it is) of the marines came off as a bit silly to me. When Slaughter was explaining it at the beginning by pointing out various marine names, I expected him to call one Side swipe, or Bumblebee, and then call himself Optimus Prime.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

jadebullet posted:

So I have started listening to "I am Slaughter." So far it is pretty interesting, and I feel like the Chrome enemies are kinda Starship Troopers-esque which is pretty cool. (Novel, not movie)

That being said, the wall-names (war names? Hard to understand which word it is) of the marines came off as a bit silly to me. When Slaughter was explaining it at the beginning by pointing out various marine names, I expected him to call one Side swipe, or Bumblebee, and then call himself Optimus Prime.

It's "Wall Name" - it refers to the portion of the Emperor's Palace wall they cover. And, yes, it's pretty silly.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
volume 5 of Beast Arises is a huge let down after volume 4

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So I'm really waiting for like master of mankind, or the next Abba book, or pariah, or anything by ADB or Abnett to come out. Are the Slaughter books like....worth getting into. So many lovely novellets have come put recently and nothing of quality

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Waroduce posted:

So I'm really waiting for like master of mankind, or the next Abba book, or pariah, or anything by ADB or Abnett to come out. Are the Slaughter books like....worth getting into. So many lovely novellets have come put recently and nothing of quality

the first one was good, the second was ok, the third was ehh, the fourth was great, the fifth was ehh by itself but absolutely terrible as the thing that's supposed to follow the fourth

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm playing through dawn of war 2 again before 3 comes out

As is traditional for me Commander Dave is in charge and it still makes me laugh every time I see him

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Skarsnik posted:

I'm playing through dawn of war 2 again before 3 comes out

As is traditional for me Commander Dave is in charge and it still makes me laugh every time I see him

Yeah, I started playing the campaign last night in co-op with a friend and calling the Commander Cookie was a stroke of genius because he looks so dopey. This was followed by me and my friend joking that everybody else was pissed at him for constantly destroying their cover as he charged into battle with a big goofy grin on his face.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So on Spiky bits, someone just posted a screenshot of the plot summary of the next Beast Arises book. It has Iron Warriors teaming up with the Imperial Fist successor chapter from Predator Prey.

Yeah... I really hope that is just the person writing the summary being bad at their job.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

jadebullet posted:

So on Spiky bits, someone just posted a screenshot of the plot summary of the next Beast Arises book. It has Iron Warriors teaming up with the Imperial Fist successor chapter from Predator Prey.

Yeah... I really hope that is just the person writing the summary being bad at their job.

nope. it happens

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They couldn't poo poo harder on the setting if they tried. The Blood Angels and Necrons thing actually made sense, and there was precedent for Marines fighting beside Xenos when circumstances commanded it. But loyalists and traitor legionnaires? Fists and Iron Warriors no less?

gently caress off.

They would both happily die under Ork blades if they could do it while in the pursuit of each other's blood.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The only way I could see it working would be if it was some sort of branch of Loyalists, maybe descended from the Dantioch/Polux alliance.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 5, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

PantsOptional posted:

The only way I could see it working would be if it was some sort of branch of Loyalists, maybe descended from the Dantioch/Polux alliance.

I'm pretty sure it was Black Templars

Shroud
May 11, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

That's ok, then. Those dudes are usually pretty chill.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Carcharodons and World Eaters teaming up to murder Eldar so they've got cool terrain to murder each other in afterwards.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

boom boom boom posted:

Nah, it's the Fists Exemplar from what I have gathered. They are apparently descended from the Imperial Fists that immediately went along with the proposal of the Codex.

Edit: Black Library submission was rejected. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else who submitted.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 10, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jadebullet posted:

Well, if you want to pull the Space Wolves away from the Eye, and thus help Abbadon in secret, that would be the way to do it.

As for things continuing past 40k, I am torn. Part of me wants to know where things go plot wise, but at the same time, I care more about the side stuff like the Badab War, than I care about Abbadon and his Black Crusade. I would love if they came out with a campaign book for a war inside the Eye of Terror. It could be CSM vs CSM, but if they want to add in regular marines, they could always do an Abyssal Crusade(or whatever that was called) Campaign.

I would absolutely kill for an Abyssal Crusade Campaign. Man do I want that really bad.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I think it is probably my favorite part of the fluff. Just everything about it works so well.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

jadebullet posted:

Edit: Black Library submission was rejected. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else who submitted.

That sucks, sorry. You can take comfort in knowing that BL's taste is...questionable. I feel like the combined powers of this thread could take over their business and do a better job from day one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still haven't heard back on my submission.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

How many 40K games comes out this year?

http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2016/05/i-for-one-welcome-our-new-pigeon-overlords/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Easily 5-6. There was a MOBA in the works that went up on Steam but the devs recently pulled the plug on it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still haven't heard back on my submission.

That may be a good sign, they threw my sorry rear end out in about 4 days.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Ah, finally the 40k license goes to someone with a bigger brain then it's current content producers. :rimshot:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
My Shadowsun and Eversor erotica has yet to be accepted as well...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mllaneza posted:

That may be a good sign, they threw my sorry rear end out in about 4 days.

I submitted mine on the last day of submissions. I figure I'm going to be later on the response ad it were. The suspense is terrible. I hope it lasts

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

My Shadowsun and Eversor erotica has yet to be accepted as well...

I misread this as "Shadowsword and Eversor erotica" and that would have been even better/worse.

Also I took the thread title's advice and started finally reading Eisenhorn. I'm about 3/4 of the way through Xenos, and this book loving rules.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Congratulations on getting to enjoy Eisenhorn for the first time!

It's too bad that the upcoming Xenos game isn't looking very good (although perhaps it doesn't help that the Quicklook I watched gave me motion sickness). I'm not sure even Mark Strong will ultimately be able to save it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MMAgCh posted:

Congratulations on getting to enjoy Eisenhorn for the first time!

It's too bad that the upcoming Xenos game isn't looking very good (although perhaps it doesn't help that the Quicklook I watched gave me motion sickness). I'm not sure even Mark Strong will ultimately be able to save it.

I got to meet the guys working on the game at Salute and it looked alright. They got to push it back a year (my copy of Xenos teases the game coming out summer 2015) and change from iOS to PC for the primary platform and while that's definitely helped the game a lot, I feel like it's still a little shackled by its origins as a mobile title.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

SRM posted:

I misread this as "Shadowsword and Eversor erotica" and that would have been even better/worse.

Also I took the thread title's advice and started finally reading Eisenhorn. I'm about 3/4 of the way through Xenos, and this book loving rules.

"What?!??!" as spittle flies from my mouth...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I smell a lawsuit from Games Workshop coming... Really, Marvel?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They aren't gonna sue over a single panel from a comic book, don't be ridiculous.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Did they seriously just copy+paste the same 3d model of a Skyray three times and shrink the weapons? Goddang that's lazier than that Chinese Command and Conquer game full of stolen designs from Epic.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
And then did they shrink the drones, too?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

boom boom boom posted:

They aren't gonna sue over a single panel from a comic book, don't be ridiculous.

There's more than one picture. There's another one out there where they blew up the gunship but forgot to blow up the side hatches so you can see right through the model.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

boom boom boom posted:

Games Workshop threatened to sue a novelist for using the word "space marine" in the title of a book. In that occasion, Games Workshop backed down, but the company still defends publicly that they have common law trademark for the term "space marine" in all book formats. Knowing them, I think it's fairly possible their legal team will engage in some form of legal action for this one, the company is very overzealous about protecting their IP's.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Angry Lobster posted:

Games Workshop threatened to sue a novelist for using the word "space marine" in the title of a book. In that occasion, Games Workshop backed down, but the company still defends publicly that they have common law trademark for the term "space marine" in all book formats. Knowing them, I think it's fairly possible their legal team will engage in some form of legal action for this one, the company is very overzealous about protecting their IP's.

in the title, that's different. That's promotional, and could cause confusion in customers. This is a couple panels halfway through a comic book. Nobody is gonna buy that comic because there's Tau tanks somewhere in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, nobody's getting sued over it, but it's pretty lazy of the artist.