Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm only halfway through this on DVR, but this is amazing.

e- The best part of the fight sequence was Bob Ross Kreiger's heavy breathing and karate moves being totally ineffective in the grand scheme of things.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

raverrn posted:

I dunno, the Area 51 aliens call him by his first name. Seems like the same Kreiger to me.

Maybe all the clones had the same first name in addition to having the same last name.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- The best part of the fight sequence was Bob Ross Kreiger's heavy breathing and karate moves being totally ineffective in the grand scheme of things.

I love the spot where Archer's getting pinned against a wall and he sees Krieger delusion-karate'ing over the guy's shoulder, and...nope, Krieger doesn't hit the guy, he sharply turns 90 degrees to continue punching the air.

tsob posted:

What was the baby Huey name the guy called Pam in this episode about? I didn't get the reference.

I don't mean to be rude, but googling "baby huey" brings up seven pictures of a fat yellow duck on the very first page, including two actual comic book covers and the description "Baby Huey is a gigantic and naïve duckling cartoon character." C'mon, man, it's not exactly a deep and obscure reference.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phenotype posted:

I don't mean to be rude, but googling "baby huey" brings up seven pictures of a fat yellow duck on the very first page, including two actual comic book covers and the description "Baby Huey is a gigantic and naïve duckling cartoon character." C'mon, man, it's not exactly a deep and obscure reference.

It's not rude, but it is silly, since if I've never seen or heard of the character before, and yes, even fairly well known stuff can escape someone's attention, especially if they're living in another country, then how could I have known it was the right character if I Google'd it? Especially in a show rife with obscure references.

Plus, I didn't really think of it at the time and simply asked out of curiosity because I was already posting. I was curious, but not overly so.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
What? I thought it was referencing the 400 pound singer Baby Huey, from Baby Huey and the Babysitters. I've never even seen that duck thing before.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I thought it was something about an elephant?

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Konsek posted:

What? I thought it was referencing the 400 pound singer Baby Huey, from Baby Huey and the Babysitters. I've never even seen that duck thing before.

The singer's nickname came from the duck. I think the duck was a hanna barbera or harvey comics thing from the 60s/70s.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Honestly, I'm 37 and didn't know who Baby Huey was. I knew it was a Hanna Barbara thing, but couldn't have pictured it in my head if I tried

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maxwell Lord posted:

They clearly modelled the producer on Robert Evans.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the same thing

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
For most of the past 30 years, Baby Huey has been more famous as shorthand for "big, dumb fat guy" than as the actual character. Also, I found this while checking on something:

"Bill Clinton" posted:

I'm a lot like Baby Huey. I'm fat. I'm ugly. But if you push me down, I keep coming back.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 16, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The only Hueys I know about are one of Donald Duck's nephews and the former governor of Louisiana. It's a fair question to ask.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I loved Ray all "Bitch, you best apologise!" then the way his expression changed when he realised the guy's bodyguards were giants.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

tsob posted:

It's not rude, but it is silly, since if I've never seen or heard of the character before, and yes, even fairly well known stuff can escape someone's attention, especially if they're living in another country, then how could I have known it was the right character if I Google'd it?

Be...because fat Pam was in a bright yellow dress and Google immediately shows you a fat duck with bright yellow coloring? Would you have assumed that its probably a different Baby Huey that somehow fits the situation better, yet is obscure enough that Google's first few hits don't find it?

I guess this is a dumb discussion, its just a pet peeve of mine when people ask questions that can be easily answered if they spent ten seconds of their own time searching for it. If it's something that's not immediately solvable by the most obvious Google search, then sure, but why should we answer you when you can't take the slightest effort to find out on your own?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Phenotype posted:

Be...because fat Pam was in a bright yellow dress and Google immediately shows you a fat duck with bright yellow coloring? Would you have assumed that its probably a different Baby Huey that somehow fits the situation better, yet is obscure enough that Google's first few hits don't find it?

I guess this is a dumb discussion, its just a pet peeve of mine when people ask questions that can be easily answered if they spent ten seconds of their own time searching for it. If it's something that's not immediately solvable by the most obvious Google search, then sure, but why should we answer you when you can't take the slightest effort to find out on your own?

Venue, duder.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

People are extremely bad at googling, this cannot be news to you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You guys should've seen the Shameless thread when someone requested, five seasons into the show's run, that we not refer to actors without including their character's name because it was too hard to pull up IMDb. Also because his posting style was more conversational and that we were too goony to know what a normal human conversation was like.

The Shameless thread is lucky to get five posts in a day during the season.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Phenotype posted:

Would you have assumed that its probably a different Baby Huey that somehow fits the situation better, yet is obscure enough that Google's first few hits don't find it?

In fairness this is Archer, so that is absolutely possible.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
No it's pretty obvious where they were going with that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Boris Galerkin posted:

Krieger is a god drat joke now who's portrayed as some kind of incompetent mad scientist/inventor when back in S1 he was at least shown as smart and competent.

Uh... he's still smart and competent. Him making bizarre things that nobody actually wants to use, see or even know about has been a running gag since S1 (remember Piggly?). He's still the reason why Ray can walk, among other things.

quote:

Pam is also totally different too coming from "boohoo nobody will sleep with me and nobody likes me" to whatever the hell she is now.

I'll agree that this is a bigger change, but I like new Pam.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Did anyone get 'Wheeler & Woolsy' without looking it up?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This is a good season :D

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I think a lot of the characters have undergone some development, though it's not all huge or obvious. Cyril is still a loser but he's not anywhere near as bad as he was in the beginning, for example.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

taqueso posted:

Yes, but only because I saw a documentary or something on vaudeville. I couldn't even tell you what it was called. It was one of those things I watched, went "huh, that was interesting" and moved on. If you asked me about it, I wouldn't be able to recite one thing from it. So I was totally surprised that the context of "Wheeler and Woolsy" was lurking in my noggin like it had been waiting for that joke.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

taqueso posted:

1930s comedy film star double act. The reason I know is very tangential. I studied George and Ira Gershwin at university, and Wheeler and Woolsey starred in a film adaptation of a stage play they wrote the music and libretto to called Girl Crazy, of which the song I Got Rhythm was a standout and the chord progression used for jazz standards known as "rhythm changes" and used for further contrafacts.

My favourite joke was the one about sitting on Jerry Garcia's face though.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 16, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phenotype posted:

This is what it really comes down to, I was mildly curious and thought to ask only when already posting, but wasn't curious enough to Google it. I could have, but didn't bother because I simply couldn't be arsed. No-one might have answered and that might have made me do it, but more likely I'd just have forgotten and never bothered, content in ignorance if I even thought of it beyond that point. It's lovely of me, but at the end of the day I don't care. If that bothers you then I apologize, but while I will and do look up many things, there will always be things I'll not bother to but ask someone else about instead because I value that interaction more than the answer and I'm not really bothered by that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

And if no-one had asked, we wouldn't have found out about Baby Huey and the Babysitters. It's interesting how almost every reference has people coming up with alternative meanings/explanations. This thread could use a few more posts, anyway.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Looks like Slater's back in the net episode. Still wearing that same shirt

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JD posted:

Evil Nazi Bob Ross Knievel

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Ha, Spirou reference out of nowhere

I assume he's unknown to American audiences?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

seravid posted:

Ha, Spirou reference out of nowhere

Never heard of him. Apparently he's a reporter who dresses like a bell boy? Keep it weird Belgium.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

not everyone can be Tintin

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

Boosh and/or Ka-Kow
A Frisky Dingo reference! Is that the first time they've used it in the show?

OneTruePecos posted:

Probably my favorite call-forward/call-back is during Vice. The episode where you find out Lana is pregnant has Ray making an off-hand remark about getting her a children's car seat, and then in the baby shower episode, Ray's pissed when he and K-Log's bodyguard show up with identical gift car seats.
Am I a bad person if I was only aware of Clancy Brown's work as Savage Opress and recognized him through his grunts?

Carlosologist posted:

the added detail on Cyril's penis :catstare:
What? When did that happen?

seravid posted:

I must have missed Spip... where was he? And American audiences are probably more aware of Franquin's big star, Gaston Lagaffe.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Has this show ever made an Asterix and Obelix reference? I feel like it has.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

That they kept up that mole's blood / vole's blood gag so long was amazing.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

PostNouveau posted:

Never heard of him. Apparently he's a reporter who dresses like a bell boy? Keep it weird Belgium.

Similar to Tintin, but with more humor. The uniform is a relic from his early days that stuck.

X_Toad posted:

I must have missed Spip... where was he? And American audiences are probably more aware of Franquin's big star, Gaston Lagaffe.

No Spip, as far as I know. I don't think there ever was a squirrel in the show? Animating one just for this was probably too much work.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

X_Toad posted:

A Frisky Dingo reference! Is that the first time they've used it in the show?

Nah there's been a million Frisky Dingo references, I think even boosh and Ka Kow a few times.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Needs more Mr. Ford.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
His rear end is everywhere.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gonz posted:

Needs more Mr. Ford.

Yesterday at the supermarket, there was an ancient black man wrangling carts and I noticed his name tag actually said "MR FORD."

I barely made it back to the car before laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

seravid posted:

Similar to Tintin, but with more humor. The uniform is a relic from his early days that stuck.
Also a less funny sidekick and the most awesome pet ever in the form of the Marsupilami. I am, in fact, shocked that the thing didn't make the top of Archer's list of "favorite animals with a prehensile tail".

• Locked thread