Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There was a one off special issue that was pretty great too, had the first meeting between Batman and Superman in that universe and how that resolves could probably go in this thread.

Edit:
Went and found it out cause it had been about 7 years since I read it and New Frontier, here's the scene. For context the president has sent Superman to take down Batman since too many cops and heroes are ending up dead trying to round up the costumed adventurers. Batman found out about it (by hosting the secret meeting in neutral waters on his yacht) and prepared, this scene is taking place after Superman has managed to get out of all of Batmans traps and a "motherless alien" accusation has pissed him off to the point that it looks like he's about to kill Batman.

Justice League: The New Frontier Special

Maybe it's corny but especially in the wake of Batman VS Superman I really like the way this gets resolved and the rest of the issue is well worth reading if you can get it. The fight is much better than Batman vs Superman is usually written.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Please stop making me like DC

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Infinitum posted:

Please stop making me like DC
Cooke and Morrison's All-Star really show how the Gods Among Men aspect of DC's insane power creep can be well written when you embrace the light parts of the characters.

I mean, just imagine if the BvS fight was staged to gently caress with Luthor, just to hilight what a pretty, inadequate Aspie fucker he is. A little self absorbed man hopelessly outclassed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thebardyspoon posted:

There was a one off special issue that was pretty great too, had the first meeting between Batman and Superman in that universe and how that resolves could probably go in this thread.

Edit:
Went and found it out cause it had been about 7 years since I read it and New Frontier, here's the scene. For context the president has sent Superman to take down Batman since too many cops and heroes are ending up dead trying to round up the costumed adventurers. Batman found out about it (by hosting the secret meeting in neutral waters on his yacht) and prepared, this scene is taking place after Superman has managed to get out of all of Batmans traps and a "motherless alien" accusation has pissed him off to the point that it looks like he's about to kill Batman.

Justice League: The New Frontier Special

Maybe it's corny but especially in the wake of Batman VS Superman I really like the way this gets resolved and the rest of the issue is well worth reading if you can get it. The fight is much better than Batman vs Superman is usually written.

It's on sale on comixology until tomorrow along with the rest of new frontier and some of his other issues

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I love his take on Bruce Wayne. Smirking but clearly worn out and dark.

The way Cooke's characters smile is my favorite thing.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
Goddamn Cooke understood the spirit of DC more than anyone I've ever seen

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
What good does it do if Superman jobs to Batman? Does the President then decide "Well, he's unstoppable I guess. Better leave him alone" or is there something I'm missing from not reading the full comic?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

What good does it do if Superman jobs to Batman? Does the President then decide "Well, he's unstoppable I guess. Better leave him alone" or is there something I'm missing from not reading the full comic?

Yeah basically. It gets the President off Superman's rear end since... well, what's he gonna do? Just tell Superman "C'mon, dust yourself off and go for round 2, man"? And now that Superman and Batman are pals, the staged fight helps build the legend of Batman as being someone to be feared.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've not read the comic (I should probably fix that), but the animated New Frontier was pretty good.

It's more suited to the badass thread, but the part where Batman confronts J'onn has really stuck with me.

"I have a $70,000 sliver of a radioactive meteor to stop the one from Metropolis. All I need for you is a penny for a book of matches. "

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No thats more of an rear end in a top hat moment

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

No thats more of an rear end in a top hat moment

Yes but Batman being an rear end in a top hat to the shape shifting mind reading intangible version of Superman is, in my eyes, at least terribly ballsy, even if it doesn't meet your definition of "badass".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I've not read the comic (I should probably fix that), but the animated New Frontier was pretty good.

It's more suited to the badass thread, but the part where Batman confronts J'onn has really stuck with me.

"I have a $70,000 sliver of a radioactive meteor to stop the one from Metropolis. All I need for you is a penny for a book of matches. "

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It strikes me as a bit hypocritical to complain about batman having trust issues when your civilian identity is a complete fabrication, John.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Well, considering that he's not a conveniently human-shaped alien like Supes is...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

It strikes me as a bit hypocritical to complain about batman having trust issues when your civilian identity is a complete fabrication, John.

It also fits in with the theme of that issue was being unable to trust people and being fearful of the unknown.
He also caused the death of the first person who ever saw him.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"My god.. It's a potato.. My entire world view is shattered.."

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Infinitum posted:

"My god.. It's a potato.. My entire world view is shattered.."

Tbf he probably thought it was Dutton

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X13Fen posted:

Tbf he probably thought it was Dutton

Its the key to the book of the centre

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Well, considering that he's not a conveniently human-shaped alien like Supes is...

I don't mean that it's wrong for him to do it or that he should stop (it doesn't seem like it hurts anyone.)

Just that it severely undercuts any right he might have to complain about batman's hostility and open distrust when he's actively maintaining a deception throughout the whole conversation, even if it's not fooling anyone.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
He's not complaining, he's terrified for his life. Ever since he came to Earth, he's been confronted with the knowledge that human culture, and especially American culture, at this point in time is incredibly xenophobic, and if he showed himself as he is in public, he'd probably be murdered.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Seriously, this scene loses a lot without context. The fact that it is still pretty awesome speaks to Darwyn Cooke's skill.

Also, read New Frontier you jerks.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Unlucky7 posted:

Seriously, this scene loses a lot without context. The fact that it is still pretty awesome speaks to Darwyn Cooke's skill.

Darwyn Cooke did some pretty drat good comics.

Unfortunately, he died over the weekend.

I met him at the Montreal comicon last year (year before?) and got him to sign some stuff. Very nice guy.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Unlucky7 posted:

Seconded. Just picked it up and read it yesterday, and my god is it good.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Unfortunately, he died over the weekend.

Well, gently caress. Stay safe, comics ghost. :(

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Exit Strategy posted:

Seconded. Just picked it up and read it yesterday, and my god is it good.

Well, gently caress. Stay safe, comics ghost. :(

Thirding New Frontier. It's a loving treasure, is what it is.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've heard that there's a page where a random paramedic is able to hand Thor his hammer. I don't know if it belongs here, in Awesome, or both, but if anyone has it I'd love to see it. Or if they know what comic it's from, I'll buy it myself.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SonicRulez posted:

I've heard that there's a page where a random paramedic is able to hand Thor his hammer. I don't know if it belongs here, in Awesome, or both, but if anyone has it I'd love to see it. Or if they know what comic it's from, I'll buy it myself.

http://imgur.com/a/cA2YS

Thor (1998) #35

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

It's a little hard to tell considering the way she's speaking, but I think it's supposed to be a technical loophole: Donald Blake (I assume) is holding the hammer, so he's the one "lifting" it while she moves it. I'm not certain though, because that's two pages and next to no context.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Is there a reason that paramedic is speaking in weirdo Asgardian Ye Olde English?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
:shrug: Someone will have to Comixology it, for I do not own it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That "paramedic" is Enchantress.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

...huh. That kinda sucked. Maybe there's something else the person was thinking about? I don't think that should really count as badass at all.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist, it's like an urban legend. Lots of people have heard of it but nobody can say where it happened.

That's not it. She's using a loophole where Jake Olsen is the one actually lifting it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Senior Woodchuck posted:

He's not complaining, he's terrified for his life. Ever since he came to Earth, he's been confronted with the knowledge that human culture, and especially American culture, at this point in time is incredibly xenophobic, and if he showed himself as he is in public, he'd probably be murdered.

The powers of Superman are no match for American racism?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zero_Tactility posted:

It's both tragic and badass.

Also,

DC: The New Frontier #4

The scene with the little girl :smith: That actually distressed me.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

The powers of Superman are no match for American racism?

No match to fire at least.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman (2016) #1

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Superman (2016) #1

So, how long before he punches his dad so hard that the entire comic is retconned out of existence?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"My Dad picked up all the barn animals and carried them out while his clothes were on fire. They all suffered horrendous 3rd degree burns and had to be put down the next day. Still can't figure out why my Dad insists on wearing the costume under his clothes constantly."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Wait, hold up... when did Superman have a kid? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

W.T. Fits posted:

Wait, hold up... when did Superman have a kid? :psyduck:

When DC rebooted their universe into the 'New 52' continuity, the Superman from the old universe was shuttled off into a pocket world by Brainiac who was collecting cities from all eras of DC comics publishing. During this time he and Lois had a kid, Johnathan Kent. A little after, the family made their way into the New 52 universe, where there already was a Superman and a Lois Lane (who were not married and in fact had a rather contentious relationship). So Superman, who has a beard now, saved people secretly, and Lois wrote books under a pseudonym. The younger Superman native to this world recently died, and now time-displaced Clark has shaved his beard and started wearing the costume and being Superman publicly. Johnathan is slowly developing his superpowers.